Favorite Thanksgiving Side Dish

It is true that my idea of mac-n-cheese growing up was Kraft out of the box :eek: However, I do have some experience with the black folk version and know the difference. Definitely better, but it's still a relatively bland dish, no matter where it's served or how it's prepared.

And you can best believe I keep my mouth shut about that when it is served to me. ?
That was my view of mac and cheese for the longest time until I visited my brother once during his vegetarian phase. His preferred recipe called for lots of butter and a boatload of pepper jack cheese and a little bit of boiled elbow macaroni. I will always like the bland stuff in the box, but I at least try to dress it up a little with some chili powder and hot sauce.

Mac and cheese out of a box is not bad, ya just need to have a lot of extra cheese on hand to melt into it!

No sugar, lots of butter.
Grits are one of those, "well you got to have... in them." If I got to have anything in them, it's not the pig food I'm eating. It the thing. Grits are good for getting coffee stains off teeth. Cleaning monuments (but not confederate ones). That's it.

I like mine al dente. I'd make them myself, except the laws of physics cease to exist on my stove when I do.

Went to my wife's family reunion in Georgia many years ago. Learned quickly they serve grits at every meal down there. If you ordered a burger, fries, and drink from McDonald's, it came with grits.

Last edited:
No sugar, lots of butter.
Soon after moving to NC had them with red eye gravy. Went from bland to grand! :) Otherwise, yes, lots of butter (and pepper)!

Red-eye gravy is a Southern favorite, and it's comprised of just two ingredients. It's made from the drippings of pan-fried country ham combined with black coffee. It may sound unusual, but it's quite tasty and a fun way to spruce up an old-fashioned Southern meal of ham and biscuits, grits, or potatoes. Red-eye gravy is most often served over ham and is sopped up with biscuits. Many people also enjoy it on top of grits, cornbread, or fried potatoes.

The intense, salty, bitter flavor of redeye gravy can be polarizing. We've added butter and a pinch of sugar here to round out the flavors while still keeping the integrity of this iconic Southern condiment intact. Biscuits and/or grits are a great accompaniment to this dish.

You put red-eye gravy on matchbooks, they will taste good.
You put lots of butter on matchbooks, they will taste good.

grits is pig food they fed to slaves. If they'd had air compressors, it would have been used to strip varnish off cannons. We cannot have freedom until we rid the minds of this delirium that grits is people food.

don't tell black folk their grits are like the worst tasting parts of sand paper.

Doesn't go well.
Are black folk grits different than white folk grits?

Seems kinda racist.

I most often have grits at Waffle House with butter, salt, and a crumbled up strip of bacon. I have made them at home, but it's been a while.

I've been reading the postings. I have to say that my favorite is my mother's dressing. Mom has been gone since I was in college, but, thank God she wrote down her recipes. The comments about turkey skin made me smile. I always liked a bit of the skin with my favorite dark meat. What really made me smile is remembering how my brothers and I fought over the gibbets. They never went in the gravy as my mother didn't like them, so me and my brothers all went for the roasted heart, liver and gizzard.

The White/Black people comments reminded me of my niece's black boyfriend taking a call from his brother while in line to get his Thanksgiving meal at our house and when answering his brother's question "what are you doing?" he said "eating white people food". I took a little offense to that as we use sausage, not plain beef and pork, in our dressing and it definitely has a kick, as does my Wife's macaroni and cheese. No bland food in our family.

yams with that marshmallow on top and green beans with the fake crunchy onions and mushroom soup. I like those and I don't care who's got a comment about it. The best side is a side of Detroit Lions.

Traditions are:
In the morning, walk the old neighborhood to remind myself where I'm from and why I'm thankful for it.
Listen to Alice's Restaurant.
Don't have much family left but go visit them and eat. Watch football through closed eye lids.
I just knew there had to be a reason for mushroom soup being. Yum.

Some like sweet potato pie, but it's pumpkin with whipped cream for me. Bring it on!

I know a place that makes a sweet potato cheese cake works better than puppies for meeting women but it's gotta be pumpkin pie with aerosol whipped cream for Thanksgiving.

gonna be a long three days...

You put red-eye gravy on matchbooks, they will taste good.
You put lots of butter on matchbooks, they will taste good.

grits is pig food they fed to slaves. If they'd had air compressors, it would have been used to strip varnish off cannons. We cannot have freedom until we rid the minds of this delirium that grits is people food.
Yes there are some "slave" foods we/I need to give up. Some I have (Pigs feet, Chittlings-African-American spelling), some I'm working on (Souse meat, Neck bones) but grits are here to stay!