Favorite Restaurants in your area.

Pizza: Pizza Oven I’m just old and traditional however only buy at 30th street Pizza Oven (they have the older ovens much better cooks hotter)

About to relocate due to the US 62 project. That store is moving to Market and 55th. And the trick around the older ovens at the newer stores is to ask for it "extra crispy". They will leave it in an extra minute.

KT's Suder and benore strip mall. Diner pure and simple. No pretense. Old fart regulars. Books and games for the kids. Local photos on the wall.

Michael's: As far as I know they do. During this C-19, they'll make family meals. I've only been to one catered, a commordore's ball at St. Michael's. I had no idea they were that good. Kept thinking, "they're in the Eastside?" Turns out, that's not an uncommon wondering. Feels like a blessing having them in the neighborhood.

Sidon's: On Dorr behind Ottawa Hills. Stop by the food market next door. Some different selections than Tiger Deli. Food market must share the same kitchen because the restaurant costs are the same as the deli costs, no mark-up. It's across the street from a Patron St Brew. Perfect marriage. Sober halal across from booze where you can carry in food. PSB doesn't open until 4 (I think). Definitely recommend Sidon's. As good as Dearborn, swear.

Calvino's. A true Bistro for sure. Used to be college and nieghborhood types after work. Maybe hipster now, the neighborhood has been attracting younger people. That's good for a city neighborhood, so I've no complaints.

Black Forest: I went out there once. Awful quiet and I wouldn't say the food (desert) was freshest. I figured they didnt get much traffic. Liked the atmosphere though, I'll have to try again once this is all over.
Man you get around.

I will definitely try KT's and Sidon's once the world gets moving again.

Man you get around.

I will definitely try KT's and Sidon's once the world gets moving again.
Sidon's is on Bancroft, not Dorr. Got my streets mixed up. Remember, I taught at University. Hence Calvino's and Sidon. MY favorite (only) Japanese type place was in that mall Dorr and Secor but they closed and became something I don't want to go to. KT's was recommended to me or I'd have never found it. Other places going to football games.

There are tons on Alexis I've wondered about but never got to. If you're ever up Monroe, Mi way, try Pete's Garage. Levi and Lilac's in Maumee is a whisky bar (nothing homemade though) with good aps and burgers in a cool building. Really worth the drive. Couple places I like in Maumee but none so far in PBurg. Ypsilanti, we really like The Wurst Bar, for homemade wurst, extensive Mich craft beer selection and Bombers for great breakfast and American n general. Other than Metzker's, not been too enamored with Ann Arbor. Not for the costs anyhow.

You're working all over this country, you don't have more places here you like? What about in the country towns headed East? Anything you been to out there?

Sidon's is on Bancroft, not Dorr. Got my streets mixed up. Remember, I taught at University. Hence Calvino's and Sidon. MY favorite (only) Japanese type place was in that mall Dorr and Secor but they closed and became something I don't want to go to. KT's was recommended to me or I'd have never found it. Other places going to football games.

There are tons on Alexis I've wondered about but never got to. If you're ever up Monroe, Mi way, try Pete's Garage. Levi and Lilac's in Maumee is a whisky bar (nothing homemade though) with good aps and burgers in a cool building. Really worth the drive. Couple places I like in Maumee but none so far in PBurg. Ypsilanti, we really like The Wurst Bar, for homemade wurst, extensive Mich craft beer selection and Bombers for great breakfast and American n general. Other than Metzker's, not been too enamored with Ann Arbor. Not for the costs anyhow.

You're working all over this country, you don't have more places here you like? What about in the country towns headed East? Anything you been to out there?
Pete's Garage. Good stuff. Pete's was always our meeting place when the Toledo unions would meet with the Detroit unions. Everyone would leave their doors open as they started their cars upon leaving. Haha.

Luna Pier has a couple great places.

I have been around, much like you, and I've found that no one does bar comfort food, especially wings and chunks like Toledo. Sidelines, Ralphies, Luckies, Jeds, Frickers are all tops.

Eastern way? Tackle Box is a given but we've talked through that. There is a place called the Limestone Tavern in Rocky Ridge that has BIG burgers. In Catawba there is Waldo Peppers. Great menu and never had a bad meal. Marblehead has a great little pizza joint in downtown.

Caddyshack pizza on Kelley's Island is old school great. Bread bowl Lobster Bisque is a must on the Boardwalk at PIB. I also like a Frosty's pizza.

Not much in my little town besides pizza shops so will add a few from Lima as well
Pizza: Fat Jacks or Beer Barrel
Thai: Thai Jasmine
Burgers: KewPee
BBQ: Cecils Grill
Italian: Casa Lu Al and Viva Marias (in Ada)

Eastern way? Tackle Box is a given but we've talked through that. There is a place called the Limestone Tavern in Rocky Ridge that has BIG burgers. In Catawba there is Waldo Peppers. Great menu and never had a bad meal. Marblehead has a great little pizza joint in downtown.

Those are new to me in that list. Thanks. I always figured there had to be some good places between Oregon and Sanducky. I'm not one to order wings, just meals. Anyplace worth the drive? Figure I can visit a park then eat lunch.

Those are new to me in that list. Thanks. I always figured there had to be some good places between Oregon and Sanducky. I'm not one to order wings, just meals. Anyplace worth the drive? Figure I can visit a park then eat lunch.

Well you asked. Lol.

An awesome drive once the weather turns nice is to head down to Port Clinton drive through and take a left at Sand Rd. and follow Route 53 all the way around Catawba Island. There are some really cool pit stops along the way. The first cool aspect is you climb a subtle cliff and overlook the lake and South Bass Island (you forget you are in Ohio). Then stop at Catawba Island State Park and chat with the fishermen on the pier. It is across from Catawba Island Yacht Club so you get a glimpse of some really nice boats. At the tip of Catawba there is a nice little ice cream shop right before the Miller Ferry. On the backside of the Island stop at Gem Beach, which is a hidden little cottage community with a nice beach. When 53 hits 163 you are at Waldo Peppers (meal #1). From there head over to East Harbor State Park (great park & beach), then follow 163 around Marblehead and be sure to stop at Lakeside. Lakeside is one of the prettiest places in the summer. Old gated Methodist community where all of the cottages were built in the late 1800's early 1900's. Just tell them you are passing through and they will let you in without charge. They have some shops and a nice pier and swim area. Once out of Lakeside you pass through downtown Marblehead where Bruno's Pizza is located (meal #2). Just past there you will run into the Marblehead Lighthouse where you can stand on the shale and look across Lake Erie to Cedar Point Amusement Park. Finally, the next stop, and you REALLY have to look for it, is Johnson Island. It costs $2 to cross the bridge (feed money into a machine). Once there hang a right and drive around the Island to the Quarry marina and past that until you hit the Confederate Cemetery. Pretty neat and sobering experience reading all of the headstones of young men from the South who met their demise on a small Island in Sandusky Bay. Head back to 163, continue on the South Side of Marblehead along Sandusky Bay until you hit Route 2 and then head home. Once a summer the wife and I take the in-laws on this day trip and they love it.

For those in the South Dayton area, we really like the Famous Restaurant on 48 in Centerville. It's owned by the same people who own DoubleDay's (and now Monster Pizza I think), but is a bit more upscale. Great food.

We also love Milano's, who has a few locations in the Dayton area.

About to relocate due to the US 62 project. That store is moving to Market and 55th. And the trick around the older ovens at the newer stores is to ask for it "extra crispy". They will leave it in an extra minute.

That is a good point.... Also the new location will have the older deep fried for the wings, crispy wings

Well you asked. Lol.

An awesome drive once the weather turns nice is to head down to Port Clinton drive through and take a left at Sand Rd. and follow Route 53 all the way around Catawba Island. There are some really cool pit stops along the way. The first cool aspect is you climb a subtle cliff and overlook the lake and South Bass Island (you forget you are in Ohio). Then stop at Catawba Island State Park and chat with the fishermen on the pier. It is across from Catawba Island Yacht Club so you get a glimpse of some really nice boats. At the tip of Catawba there is a nice little ice cream shop right before the Miller Ferry. On the backside of the Island stop at Gem Beach, which is a hidden little cottage community with a nice beach. When 53 hits 163 you are at Waldo Peppers (meal #1). From there head over to East Harbor State Park (great park & beach), then follow 163 around Marblehead and be sure to stop at Lakeside. Lakeside is one of the prettiest places in the summer. Old gated Methodist community where all of the cottages were built in the late 1800's early 1900's. Just tell them you are passing through and they will let you in without charge. They have some shops and a nice pier and swim area. Once out of Lakeside you pass through downtown Marblehead where Bruno's Pizza is located (meal #2). Just past there you will run into the Marblehead Lighthouse where you can stand on the shale and look across Lake Erie to Cedar Point Amusement Park. Finally, the next stop, and you REALLY have to look for it, is Johnson Island. It costs $2 to cross the bridge (feed money into a machine). Once there hang a right and drive around the Island to the Quarry marina and past that until you hit the Confederate Cemetery. Pretty neat and sobering experience reading all of the headstones of young men from the South who met their demise on a small Island in Sandusky Bay. Head back to 163, continue on the South Side of Marblehead along Sandusky Bay until you hit Route 2 and then head home. Once a summer the wife and I take the in-laws on this day trip and they love it.

I miss taking that drive. used to do it couple times a year, but haven't been for a couple years. Dad was a United Methodist minister and they had a yearly conference at Lakeside. Brown's Dairy at the Dock was ALWAYS crowded. Netty's chili dogs was always a must stop. chili dog, rootbeer float, fries!!

Used to go to quattmans and Terry's before i moved. Heard they both have gone down hill. I guess after Terry got #metooed it wasnt the same

Pelicans Reef was a big GA hangout back when i was younger. Went to eat there a decent amount after baseball games bc my teammates were mostly GA kids. I went there when I was older was bc they always had TVG on.

My mothers friends all raved about El jinette. Never went there but will give it a try when I make my way back up there. Further down the road off Madison maybe? (Cant remember) there is a Mexican joint that makes their own tortillas and was pretty good. I think it was Mazunte. Havent been lived in Cincy for five years but it was pretty good, hopefully still is.

quattmans is still on point. went there the first day i could sit outside and eat. burgers are still excellent. friday and saturday 8.50 burger, fries and a drink. and the drink can be a beer.

jtk
()

Bakery was a good addition to the list. In The 'Nati for me it's a toss up between Buskens and Servati's.
busken may be closing for good. i think the one in anderson and on the west side closed for good this week.

jtk
()

busken may be closing for good. i think the one in anderson and on the west side closed for good this week.

jtk
()
WOW I hadn't heard. Is it because of COVID19 or were they struggling before the lockdown?

not sure. someone on elder thread reported that when udf started making their own donuts it really hurt them financially. there is also an article to read. if you're banned from that board i will share it with you. i don't remember all the people who are banned, but that board seems to ban a lot of the posters i like to read.

jtk
()

Canton

Italian: Lucca. Downtown restaurant near the "Arts District". Really good, made-from-scratch pasta. Haven't had anything I didn't like there.

Mexican: Las Peñas. A few minutes from Belden Village near Fulton and Whipple. Building isn't much to look at as its an old Wendy's but it's hands down the best Mexican in the area.

Asian: Jasmine. Easily the best Japanese food, IMO. Better than Basil or A1.

Expensive Night Out: Gervasi or Twisted Olive, probably. Willow is good, too.

Burgers: Best Burgers. In North Canton in the plaza across from Walsh. Honestly amongst the best burgers I've had anywhere.

Pizza: Old School Pizza. The pizza here is really lackluster but this place isn't bad. At least they make their own crust and it doesn't make you feel like crap.

Seafood: Eadies. Sort of by default. Not many seafood restaurants around.

Brewery: Royal Docks for sure. Shale is good, too. Haven't been to Paradigm Shift in Massillon, but I've heard good things. Canton Brewing has the best building but the most mediocre beer and food ever.

FWIW, Old School Pizza closed.

Paradigm Shift is a good place to get a drink. The peanut butter goat roper might be the best beer I've ever drank. PS has a few staples that are almost always on tap and rotates the other offerings. The website is kept fairly well updated, so it's easy to see what's on offer at anytime. Be advised though that the food menu is very limited and hardly passes for fine dining.

Incidentally, The Rail served up an expensive but very good variety of burgers, but the Belden Village location is now closed. It was open when only carry-out was allowed, so I'm wondering if there was a problem in getting enough servers to come back in order to reopen for dine-in service.

Last edited:
not sure. someone on elder thread reported that when udf started making their own donuts it really hurt them financially. there is also an article to read. if you're banned from that board i will share it with you. i don't remember all the people who are banned, but that board seems to ban a lot of the posters i like to read.

jtk
()
Not 100% on this, but I read somewhere that them closing had more to do with bad management and business practice, but that Covid didn't help.

FWIW, Old School Pizza closed.

Paradigm Shift is a good place to get a drink. The peanut butter goat roper might be the best beer I've ever drank. PS has a few staples that are almost always on tap and rotates the other offerings. The website is kept fairly well updated, so it's easy to see what's on offer at anytime. Be advised though that the food menu is very limited and hardly passes for fine dining.

Incidentally, The Rail served up an expensive but very good variety of burgers, but the Belden Village location is now closed. It was open when only carry-out was allowed, so I'm wondering if there was a problem in getting enough servers to come back in order to reopen for dine-in service.

Well that sucks.

I think The Rail as a whole has been struggling. Frankly, the only restaurant around the mall that seems to do well is Chili's. Melt, Bravo, and Burntwood all seem to be empty most of the time.

Marysville:
Mad Dogs Beer and Dogs.

Afreakingmazing.

Peanut butter/jelly,bacon, strawbettery Dog
Hot cheetos, cheese sauce, some pepper thing.

GREAT HOT DOGS!

Had these tater tots, called barrel tots. The actualy chickent and buffalo sauce was IN the tot. NOt just some normal tater tot with the stuff drizzled on top.

Brussells sprouts. Yeah. His brussells sprouts was legit and man you gotta try it.

Place is a solid beer bar as well for those who like to partake.

I HIGHLY recommend , 8/8, Mad Dogs in Marysville!

That location hasn't really worked out for anybody (except the carry out next door). I really miss the fish market that was there 15 years ago. I think that was the area's last stand alone seafood place.
Certain commercial properties in the Canton-Massillon area don't seem to work out, regardless of what business is occupying the space.

Certain commercial properties in the Canton-Massillon area don't seem to work out, regardless of what business is occupying the space.
Yea I hear that a woodworking business in Massillon that specializes in making trophy cabinets went under and turned into a paper factory.....

Forgot two of my favorites, out of town. Buddy and I used to do the Ann Arbor thing for last minute Christmas shopping/drinking, which always took us through Ypsilanti. We realized (except for the German restaurant) we like Ypsi more than AA.

Bomber's in Ypsilanti. Breakfast being the one meal I can approximate, I don't go out much but we took a wrong turn and came across this place. He googled. We were both aircraft mechanics for a day. You go, you'll see our interest.

They do everything right, generous portions, not costly and not snooty. Waitress sees us once a year and still knows us. Captain Crunch French Toast, I didn't know that was a thing? We tried in once. If you're up that way, it's worth the stop.

If you're in the area for the day,

The Wurst Bar in Ypsi. Have fun with the name. They make their own. I like the Italian on Preztel Bun and have a wide selection of craft brews, local and national and one of the better appetizer selections I've seen. It's not large but it's good.

If you're into it, there's a rock hound store in Ypsi too. You can get some pretty cool rocks for cheap or you can spend.

Eadie's Fish House in North Canton. It's a little out of the way, but Cibo's in Waynesburg. If you don't get the large mixed plate, it's your loss. It three meals worth.

The New Sandusky Fish Company

They buy the fish off the dock in the back and you eat at the picnic tables out front.