Favorite Restaurants in your area.

MoeDude

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
Here's a list of my favorite restaurants in the Greater Cincinnati area. Add classifications for some of your favorite restaurants.

Italian: Pompilio's in Newport, Ky
Mexican: El Jinete on Red Bank Rd. Everyone seems to have their local favorite for this type of food.
Chinese: The Blue Gibbon
Cajun: If you are in a pricey mood with nice cocktails Brew River, if you just want ice cold beer and good reasonably priced food, Swamp Water Grill
Expensive Night Out: Jeff Ruby's
Burgers: Quatman's or the Turf Club(used to be Terry's Turf Club)
Pizza: I'm a local boy, LaRosa's but there is a fire grilled pizza at Fireside Pizza in East Walnut Hills for something different.
Seafood: Pelican's Reef - Anderson Township some of the best seafood you can get inland.

Toledo

Bakery: Michael's Front and Main. Always quality. Make's you feel lucky they are in the neighborhood.
Diner: KT's she'll make you whatever she wants to make you. Has lots of books and things for kids to do. Don't mind the cussing.
Italian: Sofo's grocery or Calvino's
Middle East: Sidon's best pita in the city.
Mexican: San Marcos or Poco Loco's if sitting down.
Chinese: closed
Expensive Night Out: lol
Burgers: Mo's in Rossford
Pizza: Calvino's
Seafood: Family friend

When looking for different, we usually head North.
German: Metzker's Ann Arbor. Great non-fake Bavarian vibe.
Italian: Tirami Su in Northville.
Burger: Taystee's Burgers Dearborn halal, It's in a gas station.
Bakery: Shatila Dearborn. Middle Eastern. Like old school italian where everything looks like art, but cheaper.

Here's a list of my favorite restaurants in the Greater Cincinnati area. Add classifications for some of your favorite restaurants.

Italian: Pompilio's in Newport, Ky
Mexican: El Jinete on Red Bank Rd. Everyone seems to have their local favorite for this type of food.
Chinese: The Blue Gibbon
Cajun: If you are in a pricey mood with nice cocktails Brew River, if you just want ice cold beer and good reasonably priced food, Swamp Water Grill
Expensive Night Out: Jeff Ruby's
Burgers: Quatman's or the Turf Club(used to be Terry's Turf Club)
Pizza: I'm a local boy, LaRosa's but there is a fire grilled pizza at Fireside Pizza in East Walnut Hills for something different.
Seafood: Pelican's Reef - Anderson Township some of the best seafood you can get inland.
Used to go to quattmans and Terry's before i moved. Heard they both have gone down hill. I guess after Terry got #metooed it wasnt the same

Pelicans Reef was a big GA hangout back when i was younger. Went to eat there a decent amount after baseball games bc my teammates were mostly GA kids. I went there when I was older was bc they always had TVG on.

My mothers friends all raved about El jinette. Never went there but will give it a try when I make my way back up there. Further down the road off Madison maybe? (Cant remember) there is a Mexican joint that makes their own tortillas and was pretty good. I think it was Mazunte. Havent been lived in Cincy for five years but it was pretty good, hopefully still is.

Last edited:
I will say I miss the food in Texas, whether it was the bbq, better mexican food, and crawfish season. However they really stunk it up when it came to donuts, bakeries, and other things. They loved kolaches which I thought were just ok. I probably missed Servatti's pretzels with bistro sauce and Buskens donuts the most.

For the past month it has been the Chez Long bistro located mid way between the bedroom and the front room.

I'm not picky and I don't have expensive taste. I would say most all the places I have been locally have been good.

Miracle Lanes - Pizza and Wings (and Beer)

Wendel's BBQ in St. Joe

C-Town Wings - surprisingly good non-wings food (Steak!!) too! (and Beer)

McSobers Saloon - great specials (and Wings and Beer)

Mongolian Grille - not the prettiest or the cleanest, but I'm addicted!!

Beer Barrel Pizza - obviously Pizza and Beer

I'm not picky and I don't have expensive taste. I would say most all the places I have been locally have been good.

Wendel's BBQ in St. Joe

Is Trusty still open? Thought I read something awhile back they had to close for a bit for something.

Ctown wings: Their boneless sweet heat are AMAZING. With a wood fire grill, their steaks and burgers are as good as it gets as well.
McSobers wings, hot with their in house bleu cheese, are amazing.
Technicallly a restaurant as you can eat it, but the best Pizza......Celina Wine Store !

NEO>

Cuisines>
Best American> Townhall: https://www.townhallohiocity.com/
Best Seafood: Blue Point Grill: http://www.bluepointgrille.com/
Best Middle Eastern> Anatolia Café: http://www.anatoliacafe.com/
Best Hispanic> Momocho: http://www.momocho.com/
Best Italian> Mia Bella: https://mblittleitaly.com/
Best Continental: Edwin's> https://edwinsrestaurant.org/

Themes>
Best Happy Hour> Felice: https://feliceurbancafe.com/
Best View> Pier W: pierw.com/
Best Space: Bourbon Street Barrel Room: http://www.bourbonstreetbarrelroom.com/
Best Cheap Eats: Sokolowski's University Inn: https://www.sokolowskis.com/
Best Mid Tier: the Flying Fig: https://www.theflyingfig.com/
Best High End: Chez Francois: https://chezfrancois.com/

Bon Appetite!
614093546_750x422.jpg

Is Trusty still open? Thought I read something awhile back they had to close for a bit for something.

Ctown wings: Their boneless sweet heat are AMAZING. With a wood fire grill, their steaks and burgers are as good as it gets as well.
Technicallly a restaurant as you can eat it, but the best Pizza......Celina Wine Store !
you from Celina? Do you happen to know the Voss’

They are closed. The owner/cook had a medical emergency that has kept her from being able to work. They are hopeful of opening soon.

Haven't had Wine Store Pizza in ages....might have to get one soon.

Anyone go to Pep and Dolores?

Pep and Dolores is awesome, especially for the price point. Service was some of the absolute best I've had.

El Jinete was good but it wasn't anything extraordinary. And Mazunte's original location is great. Their downtown location is essentially a different restaurant and I'm not a fan whatsoever.

Wings: Crossroads in White Oak.
Pizza: Taglio
Burgers: Quatmans or Arthurs. Been a couple years since I've had Quatmans though.
Nicer night out: Any of Jeff Ruby's joints with Boca/Sotto in a close 2nd/3rd
No real favorite for seafood, I like doing fish on my own. I did like Anchor for oysters and Court St. Lobster is good for lobster and crab rolls.
Traditional Italian: Pep and Dolores

you from Celina? Do you happen to know the Voss’
Oh God no!
No, I dont know any Voss'.

Love me some C-town though. We have driven over a half hour three times since the state took our freedoms from us just to get their food....

Pep and Dolores is awesome, especially for the price point. Service was some of the absolute best I've had.

El Jinete was good but it wasn't anything extraordinary. And Mazunte's original location is great. Their downtown location is essentially a different restaurant and I'm not a fan whatsoever.

Wings: Crossroads in White Oak.
Pizza: Taglio
Burgers: Quatmans or Arthurs. Been a couple years since I've had Quatmans though.
Nicer night out: Any of Jeff Ruby's joints with Boca/Sotto in a close 2nd/3rd
No real favorite for seafood, I like doing fish on my own. I did like Anchor for oysters and Court St. Lobster is good for lobster and crab rolls.
Traditional Italian: Pep and Dolores

I always though Arthur’s had a good burger. Forgot about that place. Used to go after church at St Mary a lot

Toledo

Bakery: Michael's Front and Main. Always quality. Make's you feel lucky they are in the neighborhood.
Diner: KT's she'll make you whatever she wants to make you. Has lots of books and things for kids to do. Don't mind the cussing.
Italian: Sofo's grocery or Calvino's
Middle East: Sidon's best pita in the city.
Mexican: San Marcos or Poco Loco's if sitting down.
Chinese: closed
Expensive Night Out: lol
Burgers: Mo's in Rossford
Pizza: Calvino's
Seafood: Family friend

When looking for different, we usually head North.
German: Metzker's Ann Arbor. Great non-fake Bavarian vibe.
Italian: Tirami Su in Northville.
Burger: Taystee's Burgers Dearborn halal, It's in a gas station.
Bakery: Shatila Dearborn. Middle Eastern. Like old school italian where everything looks like art, but cheaper.

Ok I need some guidance...

KT's? Where is this Diner?
I have not been to Michael's in years. They still cater?
Sidon's? Where is this one at?
Calvino's? Near Westgate? Went there about 10 years ago. Good food. Seemed like a hipster joint to me.

Wings: Zesty BBQ from Sidelines. Big wings and I can taste the vinegar.
German: Black Forest Cafe - dynamite and authentic
Burger: Ralphies

Bellefontaine has gotten much better in the last 5 or so years.

Burgers: Don's Downtown Diner
Pizza: Downtown 600
Bakery: City Sweets
Sandwiches/Bar Food: Brewfontaine
Asian: Kiyomi
Seafood: lol, year right

Bakery was a good addition to the list. In The 'Nati for me it's a toss up between Buskens and Servati's.

Canton

Italian: Lucca. Downtown restaurant near the "Arts District". Really good, made-from-scratch pasta. Haven't had anything I didn't like there.

Mexican: Las Peñas. A few minutes from Belden Village near Fulton and Whipple. Building isn't much to look at as its an old Wendy's but it's hands down the best Mexican in the area.

Asian: Jasmine. Easily the best Japanese food, IMO. Better than Basil or A1.

Expensive Night Out: Gervasi or Twisted Olive, probably. Willow is good, too.

Burgers: Best Burgers. In North Canton in the plaza across from Walsh. Honestly amongst the best burgers I've had anywhere.

Pizza: Old School Pizza. The pizza here is really lackluster but this place isn't bad. At least they make their own crust and it doesn't make you feel like crap.

Seafood: Eadies. Sort of by default. Not many seafood restaurants around.

Brewery: Royal Docks for sure. Shale is good, too. Haven't been to Paradigm Shift in Massillon, but I've heard good things. Canton Brewing has the best building but the most mediocre beer and food ever.

Bellefontaine has gotten much better in the last 5 or so years.

Burgers: Don's Downtown Diner
Pizza: Downtown 600
Bakery: City Sweets
Sandwiches/Bar Food: Brewfontaine
Asian: Kiyomi
Seafood: lol, year right

Speaking of, did Iron City chance their name to Irish City?
Brewfountaine is too hipster doofus for my liking.
360 is good, but everyone is always hell bent on getting the exotic pizza styles which I am not a fan of, but their garlic knots are the bees knees.
Yet to go to Don's for whatever reason. Ill have to get on that.

Ok I need some guidance...

KT's? Where is this Diner?
I have not been to Michael's in years. They still cater?
Sidon's? Where is this one at?
Calvino's? Near Westgate? Went there about 10 years ago. Good food. Seemed like a hipster joint to me.

Wings: Zesty BBQ from Sidelines. Big wings and I can taste the vinegar.
German: Black Forest Cafe - dynamite and authentic
Burger: Ralphies

KT's Suder and benore strip mall. Diner pure and simple. No pretense. Old fart regulars. Books and games for the kids. Local photos on the wall.

Michael's: As far as I know they do. During this C-19, they'll make family meals. I've only been to one catered, a commordore's ball at St. Michael's. I had no idea they were that good. Kept thinking, "they're in the Eastside?" Turns out, that's not an uncommon wondering. Feels like a blessing having them in the neighborhood.

Sidon's: On Dorr behind Ottawa Hills. Stop by the food market next door. Some different selections than Tiger Deli. Food market must share the same kitchen because the restaurant costs are the same as the deli costs, no mark-up. It's across the street from a Patron St Brew. Perfect marriage. Sober halal across from booze where you can carry in food. PSB doesn't open until 4 (I think). Definitely recommend Sidon's. As good as Dearborn, swear.

Calvino's. A true Bistro for sure. Used to be college and nieghborhood types after work. Maybe hipster now, the neighborhood has been attracting younger people. That's good for a city neighborhood, so I've no complaints.

Black Forest: I went out there once. Awful quiet and I wouldn't say the food (desert) was freshest. I figured they didnt get much traffic. Liked the atmosphere though, I'll have to try again once this is all over.

C.W. Burgerstein in Wooster, OH - Old fashioned basement-feel restaurant with wings and burgers and the best fresh lemonade. Actually in the basement of its more fine-dining sister restaurant, TJ's. I think C.W.'s food has gone downhill over the last 15 years, unfortunately, but I still go on my birthday for nostalgia's sake.

Hound Dogs Pizza in Columbus, OH - Great atmosphere and the best pizza anywhere.

Speaking of, did Iron City chance their name to Irish City?
Brewfountaine is too hipster doofus for my liking.
360 is good, but everyone is always hell bent on getting the exotic pizza styles which I am not a fan of, but their garlic knots are the bees knees.
Yet to go to Don's for whatever reason. Ill have to get on that.

it was just for March. Didn’t work out too well for them. Haha

Wendel's BBQ in St. Joe

I sense a trend in your favorites.

Been to c-town. Good stuff.

When I am in Coldwater the bowling alley is a favorite. Mcsobers too.

Been to c-town. Good stuff.

When I am in Coldwater the bowling alley is a favorite. Mcsobers too.
Bowling ally wings, in the arizona sauce I think it is, extremely good! Experienced them at the MAC Wing Fest a few years ago.
WOW

True.

My wife is a little more diverse. She likes the grilled chicken wrap at Miracle Lanes.

She likes pulled pork with a slightly sweet sauce and sweet potato fries from Wendel's BBQ.

Did I say diverse? I meant picky....she won't willfully go to anyplace that specializes in chicken wings or hot sauces. She misses Trusty Woods for their Ruebens.

Canton

Italian: Lucca, La Pizzaria

Mexican: Fiesta Acapulco Mexican Grill

Asian: Jasmine very good Thai / but Basil does have a nice selection ( same, same)

Expensive Night Out: Gervasi (Crush House is not that pricey), Willow, Sylvester's all very good dining pleasure

Burgers: Buds Corner, (different but still good Heggy’s it just could be the buttered fries also)

Pizza: Pizza Oven I’m just old and traditional however only buy at 30th street Pizza Oven (they have the older ovens much better cooks hotter)

Seafood: Eadies …

Not In Canton but worth the drive: Tavern of Ragersville - 2274 Ragersville Rd SW, Sugarcreek, Ohio 44681 great fish and steak

Canton

Italian: Lucca. Downtown restaurant near the "Arts District". Really good, made-from-scratch pasta. Haven't had anything I didn't like there.

Mexican: Las Peñas. A few minutes from Belden Village near Fulton and Whipple. Building isn't much to look at as its an old Wendy's but it's hands down the best Mexican in the area.

Asian: Jasmine. Easily the best Japanese food, IMO. Better than Basil or A1.

Expensive Night Out: Gervasi or Twisted Olive, probably. Willow is good, too.

Burgers: Best Burgers. In North Canton in the plaza across from Walsh. Honestly amongst the best burgers I've had anywhere.

Pizza: Old School Pizza. The pizza here is really lackluster but this place isn't bad. At least they make their own crust and it doesn't make you feel like crap.

Seafood: Eadies. Sort of by default. Not many seafood restaurants around.

Brewery: Royal Docks for sure. Shale is good, too. Haven't been to Paradigm Shift in Massillon, but I've heard good things. Canton Brewing has the best building but the most mediocre beer and food ever.

Left out Benders .......best of all ......seafood.

Diamond Grill - Akron
Bistro 1907 - Youngstown
Lola - Cleveland
Laurentia Winery - Madison
Historic Spread Eagle Tavern - Hanoverton

Middletown/Butler County Area

Chinese: China Garden in Middletown, little, ugly, carryout place but the food is great.
BBQ: Combs BBQ in downtown Middletown. Ohio magazine ran an article on them. Rated it some of the best in the state. If you like ribs, get there early, when there gone that's it for the day.
Mexican: El Rancho Grande, several in the area
Pizza: Doubleday's in Springboro. Marian's several in the area. And always been a fan of Cassano's.
American: Clubhouse Grill in Monroe. Pricey but everything is good. Wings, beer, and some of the biggest sandwiches around. I suggest the Whaler, pork tenderloin sandwich, or the double decker grilled cheese.
Fast food: Freddie's steakburgers
Steaks: For me, you can't beat Texas Roadhouse.