Favorite Pogues song

CatAlum

Happy St Patrick’s Day, when everyone is Irish (if they so desire)…

So, when The Pogues got big, the wife and I were having our babies and we missed it. Fast forward 4/5 years…mid 90’s and we ended up in a crowded Irish pub on St Patrick’s Day (Blarney Stone, W 134 and Lorain) and caught The Boys from County Hell, a terrific local Pogues tribute band. We became instant fans and our kids learned all their swear words from riding around with Mom, Pogues playing in the background.

My favorite…and one of their most offensive…Sick Bed of Cuchullain…

Easily, their most famous song. In the UK, it often gets listed as the all time #1 Christmas song…

Amongst my people, there’s a line in this song that we repeat all the time…Shane…”I could have been someone…”. Christy…”Well, so could anyone”.

And to top off the weekend, in Dublin, Ireland is defeating England to finish off rugby’s Six Nations tournament 5-0 to win The Grand Slam (going undefeated…England, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy). In this sport, Ireland competes as a unified island. They are the the #1 ranked rugby team in the world.

And the fans are singing The Fields of Athenry, reminding their opponents that all is not forgiven (at least that’s my interpretation)…

Last edited:
A fine example of an idiot Irish Ignatius grad is Kevin Kimble, who used to get drunk, make racist remarks, blast his Irish music, and spit his dip everywhere. He made the mistake of trying to fight me one night. I’m reminded of him every SPD when I hear the horrible music.

Last edited: