Favorite Christmas Gift as a Kid

My ping pong/hockey video game was awesome. I think it was a Comadore or something like that. Great game back in the day.
So was my Atari with football. I remember taking it to my grandma/grandpas house and beat the heck out of my uncles ??? They hated to lose. ???

Hot Wheels Big O Sizzlers Race Set. Set came with a big plastic banked turn track with cars that were powered by what looked like a gas pump filled with D batteries.

Close seconds were my Washington REDSKINS coat with yellow sleeves and a maroon body and NFL sheets.

79052d2c7ebd1b85fc426cd36690ee12.jpg

I was politically incorrect before it was popular.

Last edited:
Hot Wheels Big O Sizzlers Race Set. Set came with a big plastic banked turn track with cars that were powered by what looked like a gas pump filled with D batteries.

That year Santa brought me Ideal's Class A Open Track (Slotless) Racing set. Similar to the Hot Wheels Sizzler, except there were no batteries - the cars ran on a tight spring with the winding gear underneath. When it ran down, you put it on top of the "Pit Stop" power pack which had a matching gear and a hand crank. I think it lasted about a year before I wore out the springs, but I got a lot of use out of that set.

4077999c67be113466a72f481764d0f6.jpg

Last edited:
That year Santa brought me Ideal's Class A Open Track (Slotless) Racing set. Similar, but no batteries - the cars ran on a tight spring with the winding gear underneath. When it ran down, you put it on top of the "power pack" which had a matching gear and a hand crank. I think it lasted about a year before I wore out the springs, but I got a lot of use out of that set.
Had that one also. Don't remember anybody having the S-track in the video below, just an oval.

The year I got that stick. It was a great stick. It could be a rifle or a sword. I used it to tame my cat. Cat ran away anyhow but it was fun for awhile. Kept that stick many years, I was hoping to save it for my kids. Sadly, I forgot to take it with me to college and Ma threw it away. So she says. I suspect my much older half brother stole it. He was always jealous. :( I've searched all over EBay for one like it. I'm afraid it was one-of-a-kind and I never did ask my Ma where she had gotten it.

Dice...... that is all I needed, with my imagination and game inventing skills using my knowledge of math skills at an early age I had it all.... and then came.... D&D dice. Are you kidding me.... 4 sided, 8 sided, 10 sided, 12 sided, 20 sided dice!!!!!! The amazing thing about the 10 sided dice is now one can roll percentages... that changed everything!!!!!

Got a pair of large LEGO sets when I was 8. I didn't get the set I really wanted because it was more than what my parents budgeted for Christmas gifts at the time. I guess my grandma was going to break the bank and buy me that particular set, but either she nixed it or my parents nixed it out of fears that the other grandkids would feel left out for not getting as expensive of a gift.

The sets I received:
1608096561201.png

1608096618373.png

The set I wanted:
1608096754065.png

Grandma usually gave us gandkids money. One year, my cousin ran his mouth for weeks before Christmas about what he was going to do with his money. Grandma bought him a toy robot to teach him a lesson.

I too had a thing for Hot Wheels as a kid and it was my favorite X-Mas gift in early grade school years. I started with the gravity fed track and moved to the full on sizzler set. I do not remember the black track, only the classic single lane orange.

A few years later in Jr High I was starting to get into music and I wanted to check out the Beatles so I asked for and received their early years greatest hits "Red" album. The following year I got the later years "Blue" album and found the road map to my musical taste up to this day.

b860faf5-4fc5-4b25-87f4-1388db2058ba.jpg

1968 Hot Wheels - I had the single straight track with the loop and the jump. The car that came with it was the one with the surf boards:

1969 Major Matt Mason - My Dad must have had a good year. I got the whole deal; Matt, the space crawler and, best of all, the space station. I played the heck out of those things and wish I still had them.:

From the early sixties, I had two of the four toys on this string of commercials. The first toy, the car dash board was a lot of fun and was the envy of the neighborhood for about two weeks. The last toy on the string, the Mighty Mo Cannon, I had to share with my brothers. Man it was fun. It loaded like a real howitzer and fired a large plastic projectile. Remember when every boy had toy guns and if they didn't actually shoot a projectile, you would figure out a way to make them, like sticking your Daisey pop-gun in the dirt, to fill the muzzle and when you fired it the chunk of mud would fly out.

1968 Hot Wheels - I had the single straight track with the loop and the jump. The car that came with it was the one with the surf boards:
1969 Major Matt Mason - best of all, the space station.
- the Mighty Mo Cannon - It loaded like a real howitzer and fired a large plastic projectile.
- sticking your Daisey pop-gun in the dirt, to fill the muzzle and when you fired it the chunk of mud would fly out.
Wow, I hate you already. You got the good stuff!

Well, I did have the Hot Wheels loop-and-jump - and the car with the surfboards! I thought that was so cool. Wasn't it an El Camino with a hard top to mount the boards? I'd never seen an El C before, and I thought the surfboards were the front end, lol. Another friend with the same set had to educate me.

Matt Mason - I didn't think anybody remembered that. Came out just as the Apollo program was announced, so it really fired up my imagination of trips to the moon. Pulling the string on the backpack to make him "fly" was the stuff.

Don't remember the Mighty Mo, but I did put the Big Shot cannon on a truck on my list when I was 5 or 6. Never got one, Mom probably figured I'd shoot my eye out. Loved the commercials for it, though.
s-l640.jpg

Some great Christmas presents for me and my brothers, over the years: GI Joes, HO race track set, bicycles, guitars, electric vibrating football set, hockey game, basketballs, footballs, and, yes, a BB gun (I didn't shoot my eye out, but my older brother tagged me in the nip during a summer backyard BB gun war ... I was shirtless and he claimed he was shooting below the belt, per our rules, but it stung and I was pizzed!).

Surprised nobody has mentioned the best Christmas gift I ever received: a Lionel train set. Each year on my birthday and Christmas after I got an accesory, e.g., the two handled transformer so I could handle two trains at once. (we had avery large basement)

Surprised nobody has mentioned the best Christmas gift I ever received: a Lionel train set. Each year on my birthday and Christmas after I got an accesory, e.g., the two handled transformer so I could handle two trains at once. (we had avery large basement)
Mine was American Flyer, S gauge. More realistic than the three rail Lionels. It was from Sears and the layout came in one foot by one foot blocks that were tied together to assemble it. Quick set-up and quick take down.

Some great Christmas presents for me and my brothers, over the years: GI Joes, HO race track set, bicycles, guitars, electric vibrating football set, hockey game, basketballs, footballs, and, yes, a BB gun (I didn't shoot my eye out, but my older brother tagged me in the nip during a summer backyard BB gun war ... I was shirtless and he claimed he was shooting below the belt, per our rules, but it stung and I was pizzed!).
You imagine kids playing one pump BB guns wars nowadays?

Geesh!

For the longest time I had a sweet indentation/mark on my bike. We thought we were doing a cool drive by shooting on their fort in the woods but instead they were waiting for us way up the trail before we expected it. Our scouts passed us poor intel, or our playskool walkie talkies werent working as good as we thought, but we blamed the scouts!

Mine was American Flyer, S gauge. More realistic than the three rail Lionels. It was from Sears and the layout came in one foot by one foot blocks that were tied together to assemble it. Quick set-up and quick take down.
At the same time I got my Lionel set, I had a cousin who got the American Flyer passsenger train and he also claimed his set was superior becuase of the two rail style. However, Americn Flyer could not compete with Lionel because of all the accessories, e.g., cattle car, that Lionel offered.

At the same time I got my Lionel set, I had a cousin who got the American Flyer passsenger train and he also claimed his set was superior becuase of the two rail style. However, Americn Flyer could not compete with Lionel because of all the accessories, e.g., cattle car, that Lionel offered.
True that.

The best Christmas gift I never got to use was a drum set when I was about to turn four. The day after Christmas my aunt and uncle and their 6 kids drove in for an overnight pit stop during a cross-country drive. The next morning, all the drums mysteriously had holes in them, and then my relatives headed out shortly afterward. My parents quietly explained they had to get rid of my set .......

My youngest brother still has a scar on his arm where a bb got lodged. We cut it out with a pocket knife. He had to be roughly 8? Never cried. Never told mom.