Fathers/Sons

RJH

Prior to this year, has there ever been a final game where each head coach had a son starting in the state championship game? Botkins vs. Columbus Grove

Not state championship but at least once that I know of in a regional final......

2002 at UT.....Ottawa Glandorf (Coach Dave Sweet and son Eric)....and SVSM (Coach Dru and son Dru)

This should bring out the historians.
I THOUGHT Toledo St. John's - Hamilton both had sons of coaches but I can't seem to confirm Hamilton. Stupid OHSAA page doesn't even list coaches, let alone rosters and I can't find a Butler Country newspaper article about the game.

I THOUGHT Toledo St. John's - Hamilton both had sons of coaches but I can't seem to confirm Hamilton. Stupid OHSAA page doesn't even list coaches, let alone rosters and I can't find a Butler Country newspaper article about the game.

Hamilton definitely had Larry Allen as coach and his son Billy Allen was a freshman on that team. I am not sure about Toledo St. John's.

They list coaches on there. Just no access to rosters for state semis/finals.

I thought this thread was fathers/son combos playing against each other in the finals? If not, I'll add Wayne Trace 1992 champs with Al Welch (coach) and Rob Welch (player) and Kalida 1981 with Richard Kortokrax (coach) and his son Randy.

I thought this thread was fathers/son combos playing against each other in the finals? If not, I'll add Wayne Trace 1992 champs with Al Welch (coach) and Rob Welch (player) and Kalida 1981 with Richard Kortokrax (coach) and his son Randy.
WT 91 State Champs and older son, Brian Welch also played on that team.

Dan Fleming and Ryan Fleming at LaSalle in 2011. Ryan is now coaching at Summit Country Day, which is Dan's alma mater.

Last edited:
Mike Kelly (Coach) and Mark Kelly (son) averaged 7.0 ppg on the 1984 state champs at Canton McKinley--finally won a state championship for McKinley as they beat Dayton Dunbar 79-75 in OT.

Dan Fleming and Ryan Fleming at LaSalle in 2011. Ryan is now coaching at Summit Country Day, which is Dan's alma mater.
Dang it. It seems like I was watching Ryan play for LaSalle only a couple of years ago up at Wright St.