Fascinating article about difficulties OHSAA faces if no football in fall

Not paying for that. The gist?

I do not see collapse. They'll lay off a lot, probably including several assistant Commissioners where they get more bang for the buck. I'd think they would survive

Not paying for that. The gist?

I do not see collapse. They'll lay off a lot, probably including several assistant Commissioners where they get more bang for the buck. I'd think they would survive
Basically, it's going off multiple parties (an AD, sources, Board of Directors) that are saying the same thing: no football = OHSAA is facing potential insolvency. Lost out on all the gate receipts they would've collected over winter and spring.

It notes that some schools have indicated a willingness toward paying membership fees in order to help float the boat. Another thing on the table is potentially selling the building they own on Roselea Place in Columbus.

It's a good article (A-/B+) by a great writer. Fun read if you have the subscription, but you're not missing anything hard-hitting if you don't subscribe. It may be the one of the better pieces of journalism I've seen on OHSAA stuff in recent memory; at the same time, there's nothing really damning nor indicative of what actually will happen with OHSAA going forward.

////

Sidebar: I wish The Athletic would expand its breadth and factor high school sports into its coverage.

Basically, it's going off multiple parties (an AD, sources, Board of Directors) that are saying the same thing: no football = OHSAA is facing potential insolvency. Lost out on all the gate receipts they would've collected over winter and spring.

It notes that some schools have indicated a willingness toward paying membership fees in order to help float the boat. Another thing on the table is potentially selling the building they own on Roselea Place in Columbus.

It's a good article (A-/B+) by a great writer. Fun read if you have the subscription, but you're not missing anything hard-hitting if you don't subscribe. It may be the one of the better pieces of journalism I've seen on OHSAA stuff in recent memory; at the same time, there's nothing really damning nor indicative of what actually will happen with OHSAA going forward.

////

Sidebar: I wish The Athletic would expand its breadth and factor high school sports into its coverage.

I never thought about them expanding into HS until reading that article. I agree.

They have expanded their scope of coverage, so I wonder if that could be on the table. Although, current economic conditions may have put that on the back burner

I find The Athletic intriguing, but I can never find out what it costs. They only ever want you to start your "Free Trial", and we all know those are usually traps for something that costs more than you want to pay.

An annual subscription to The Athletic is $60. That gets you access to all of their content (articles, podcasts, etc.). You should be able to get 40% or 50% off for your first year.

An annual subscription to The Athletic is $60. That gets you access to all of their content (articles, podcasts, etc.). You should be able to get 40% or 50% off for your first year.

I've gotten a year as cheap as $20. Depending on when I catch it.

If you search twitter, there are always links for those discounts. The key is not to renew at full price.

If you search twitter, there are always links for those discounts. The key is not to renew at full price.
I always thought the discounts weren't valid for renewals. Is that not the case?

Anyone who subscribes should be aware that they will renew your subscription at full price with no notice.

I always thought the discounts weren't valid for renewals. Is that not the case?

Anyone who subscribes should be aware that they will renew your subscription at full price with no notice.

First time, I had an expired card, so it didn't "auto renew". I renewed at a lower rate

Second time, I set up a reminder to cancel right before. The next day, I got a renewal offer.

It's only the auto renew that they charged the full price for

Thanks for the link. Some of those doomsday theories are kinda funny.

Non-profits like the OHSAA are usually under pressure to spend money on programs and whatnot, not stash it in CD's. To say they should have some large cash reserve is probably not all that reasonable., Most non-profits don't. Executive salary cuts, layoffs, other spending cuts, asset sales...I'd say they are on top of a crazy situation.

As for member schools paying dues, I'd think that is an obvious concession they should have no problem paying. What is alternative? Paying into a new organization?

Non-profits like the OHSAA are usually under pressure to spend money on programs and whatnot, not stash it in CD's. To say they should have some large cash reserve is probably not all that reasonable., Most non-profits don't. Executive salary cuts, layoffs, other spending cuts, asset sales...I'd say they are on top of a crazy situation.

As for member schools paying dues, I'd think that is an obvious concession they should have no problem paying. What is alternative? Paying into a new organization?

If the OHSAA were to in fact go under (which I doubt will actually happen) perhaps that would be the impetus for the long discussed split? A new public school AA and a new private school AA? If OHSAA were to actually fail, I could easily see that happening. But there would be a lot of administrators in the OHSAA and a lot of school administrators who would have powerful motives and incentives to keep that (a complete collapse of OHSAA) from happening.

Technically the ohsaa has a membership fee that's just waived every year. I'm guessing this year probably won't be waived. Big deal. $500 or so per school. If that breaks the bank they probably weren't going to have any athletics this year anyways.

Technically the ohsaa has a membership fee that's just waived every year. I'm guessing this year probably won't be waived. Big deal. $500 or so per school. If that breaks the bank they probably weren't going to have any athletics this year anyways.

Not really. There has been no system to set or waive a membership fee in decades. But yes, if a fee is instituted I would expect it to be in that $500 range.

Most of the Districts (such as Southeast, Central, etc) have a cash reserve of their own. Why doesn't OHSAA borrow from them?

I said to borrow from the District Boards. I know some people have issues with OHSAA but they do a lot more good then bad. I would hate to think what high school sports would look like if we didn't have this organization. There would be utter chaos without them. Without OHSAA, the District Boards would probably not exist. It would be seem to benefit the District Boards for the long haul to help out with budget problems.

I said to borrow from the District Boards. I know some people have issues with OHSAA but they do a lot more good then bad. I would hate to think what high school sports would look like if we didn't have this organization. There would be utter chaos without them. Without OHSAA, the District Boards would probably not exist. It would be seem to benefit the District Boards for the long haul to help out with budget problems.

The district boards are part of the OHSAA. They are not a separate entity. In all likelihood, they will begin a process of merging to district budgets with the state. It would be senseless not to.

Nobody says OHSAA is all bad but good opportunity to get rid of the bad, and downsize, just like everyone else. They’ve become too big, too authoritarian, and created a runaway bureaucratic mess imo. Esp. with the whole public private issue. Square peg round hole.

Going to a Wild West version of high school sport regulation would be.. um... interesting. Wait until some of district booster groups in the wealthier districts start funding recruiting programs, coaching "incentive pay", providing "relocation assistance" to families of stellar prospects, etc, and every district can their own standards of academic eligibility.

Do some reading on Texas high school football in the first half of the 20th century - fascinating stuff. It was basically good old semi-pro football.