Fall HS Season

Or....the team, the team, the team. Shouldn't really matter if they are starters or not or JV or not, if you have more than a couple people who've invested half their high school careers or more leaving a program and you're happy to try and make a state championship run with a few studs and a team full of newbies, or worse you have coaches not caring that upperclassmen who are leaders of the school are leaving the program, than yes, you probably have a culture problem. Coach K (soccer) and Coach P of (basketball) run programs on totally opposite ends of the value system spectrum...not sure I've ever heard Coach P divide his program by starter and bench (or even JV or varsity), yet he has girls wanting to stay and play for him who could go elsewhere and contend for a state championship every year. That's where its at.
Coaches aren't allowed to say there's a difference between a varsity player and a JV player?? And "newbies" shouldn't get to play even if they're better than the "upperclassmen who are leaders of the school"? And coaches should mourn over players who want to quit on their teammates and the program? Man, I'm glad I retired - I am apparently unfit to coach in this day and age.

Kids quit for reasons far outside of being disgruntled because of playing time or position. Kids quit because you have some very large talent discrepancies that create over aggression and can cause injury. We saw this against IH for years. Kids quit because some (cough, cough...most) High School coaches don't understand that it's not a contest to see how tough you can make your kid by over working them in both the weight room and on the field and create unnecessary injury. Kids quit because they want to play a more traditional type of soccer than kick and run, hoping to get themselves to the next level of play after H.S. And yes kids quit because they don't make the team or the position they want. Mine all played, but some of their friends didn't. I understood then and I understand now.

The kids digital footprint is based on search engine results. Full names here will bring them up, so as Irwin said keep it positive, after all they are kids still anyway.

I'm not a fan of Lovelands play style but they will be fine, it works for them, and it has worked for them to great success for years. They always have a high number of athletes and that is key. They looked a little less skilled, using more of a physical style when I watched them play this year but they are still athletes. Mason's has the same situation but are a better skilled team in my opinion.

It is important to note that NONE of these girls WANTED to quit (or as Ted puts it, "chose not to try out"). They just could not spend another season playing for these coaches. The returning varsity players (and Messiwannabe DOES say "players that are returning", NOT current players, TED just read into it wrong bc he has been a defender of TK for years.) The J.V. girls were girls that were pulled up for the tourney, so an assumption might be made that they would be on varsity. These are all girls that loved the game of soccer growing up, would play 7 days a week for fun, and got to HS and found that they hated it. My problem is just that, HS coaches that drive the love of the game out of players. I think it was a combination of many things, including kick and run style of play, emphasis on "running through people" as the coaches put it, a imposition of religious beliefs on players who did not buy in ( coaches having bible study on the bus, organizing christian devotionals as a team, praying before games, etc.) and feeling left out, and a general lack of relationship building for other than 3 or 4 of the captains on the team. They hated going to practice working on corners for multiple practices in a row, set pieces over and over, while all they wanted to do was to play the beautiful game. Yes, those things win games and flip throws and gimmicky corner kicks do actually work in HS, but for the true soccer lover, it is a hard pill to swallow to focus ONLY on those things.

Hell hath no fury like a dad with an axe to grind. Grind away, dad.

Hey Coach K, not a parent, I would never let my kid play for you. and you are damn lucky i am not a parent, because if I were I would be making several phone calls. One would be to the school board, the OHSAA, and the ACLU to report you for violating my child's constitutional rights by imposing your religion on my child at a public school. If you were at a more diverse district like Sycamore you would have been fired years ago.

Another call would be to the A.D. and report you for putting player's health at risk for forcing them to play soccer like football players. It is only a matter of time before one of your players or an opponent gets a serious head injury and ends up in a wheelchair. When I first saw your pre-game warm up with a football tackling dummy being used to have players run through it I couldn't believe it. Seriously? What self respecting soccer coach does that?

You do have one thing right, I am furious. As someone who has trained hundreds of youth soccer players in the Loveland area it saddens me to think that all of the time we spend on possession, moves, ball control, agility, etc. is wasted cause when they get to H.S. all they are told to do is kick the ball long, run after it, and run over the opponent. I've never seen an entire group of players get destroyed like this current group of underclassmen. In a way, I am a parent to them bc I have known them for so long, although none are my biological children, it makes me sad to think their HS experience has been ruined for these 7 players. Well, I guess there is one good thing....the Loveland SAY program is looking good at the girls Seniors level!

Hey Coach K, not a parent, I would never let my kid play for you. and you are damn lucky i am not a parent, because if I were I would be making several phone calls. One would be to the school board, the OHSAA, and the ACLU to report you for violating my child's constitutional rights by imposing your religion on my child at a public school. If you were at a more diverse district like Sycamore you would have been fired years ago.

Another call would be to the A.D. and report you for putting player's health at risk for forcing them to play soccer like football players. It is only a matter of time before one of your players or an opponent gets a serious head injury and ends up in a wheelchair. When I first saw your pre-game warm up with a football tackling dummy being used to have players run through it I couldn't believe it. Seriously? What self respecting soccer coach does that?

You do have one thing right, I am furious. As someone who has trained hundreds of youth soccer players in the Loveland area it saddens me to think that all of the time we spend on possession, moves, ball control, agility, etc. is wasted cause when they get to H.S. all they are told to do is kick the ball long, run after it, and run over the opponent. I've never seen an entire group of players get destroyed like this current group of underclassmen. In a way, I am a parent to them bc I have known them for so long, although none are my biological children, it makes me sad to think their HS experience has been ruined for these 7 players. Well, I guess there is one good thing....the Loveland SAY program is looking good at the girls Seniors level!
TK is on the sideline coaching his team in a scrimmage right now. You can’t honestly believe he would engage with a parent on yappi, do you? Anyway, make your phone calls, pops. Be sure to keep up the “club coach” ruse. It will fool someone, I’m sure.

TK is on the sideline coaching his team in a scrimmage right now. You can’t honestly believe he would engage with a parent on yappi, do you? Anyway, make your phone calls, pops. Be sure to keep up the “club coach” ruse. It will fool someone, I’m sure.
Will you two get a room or something, please?
soccerfan - I’ve known Todd Kelly for 15 years and he’s got plenty better to do than bicker on some Internet forum. Teddy bear is just pushing your buttons.

Anyway - I’m hearing Lakota West, Mason, Loveland, Beavercreek, and Centerville as the regional contenders. Any others that should be included in that top tier?

I agree with you Central on those 4 teams. It’s been a while since the Cinci area was down like this. Kids deciding not to play high school all over the city. Even some of the kids that are playing aren’t happy and do not want to play high school. The season hasn’t even started yet and these soft A*$ PARENTS are complaining and trying to protect their Mia already. Let the kid experience some challenges and build some resilience and toughness that will help them later in life. We have kids from MND, Ursula, Ursuline, LW,LE, Loveland, Beavercreek and who knows who else that aren’t playing this year because of the so called coaches. We have helicopter PARENTS that think these kids are the greatest thing since slice bread and are above going through any challenges in life.

I thought it was terrible for the DA to mandate that kids don’t play high school, but I am starting to soften my position on this. I want to be clear and state that I do not agree with the mandate, but something has to give. If these kids don’t want to play then the school is better off without them and their crazy PARENTS. High school is about your community pride and school pride and if you don’t have either of those then go play for the DA or a SAY high school program. The funny thing is high school was good enough for Rose and Mal Pugh, but it’s not good enough for your kid GTFOH.

Will you two get a room or something, please?
soccerfan - I’ve known Todd Kelly for 15 years and he’s got plenty better to do than bicker on some Internet forum. Teddy bear is just pushing your buttons.

Anyway - I’m hearing Lakota West, Mason, Loveland, Beavercreek, and Centerville as the regional contenders. Any others that should be included in that top tier?

Anderson should be strong, and I think Hamilton will surprise some people although not a contender. Milford has a core a players that are strong but they are not deep.

For the last time I am not a parent!

As long as they attend school there and everything is done within the rules, I think it's fine.

The rule is you cannot reside in KY and play high school sports in OH even if you attend an OH school. Those that do it are breaking the rules.

The loop hole many exploit is they get a second residence that they don't actually live in, so it looks like the reside in OH when they truly don't.

The rule is you cannot reside in KY and play high school sports in OH even if you attend an OH school. Those that do it are breaking the rules.

The loop hole many exploit is they get a second residence that they don't actually live in, so it looks like the reside in OH when they truly don't.
Well then I would say people probably shouldn't do it.

You're not wrong on that, but in general I would still agree with the mindset that something is still "off" with HS soccer lately in Cincinnati. My take is coaches just lack confidence in the merits of HS soccer being valuable for what it is meant to be - school pride, kids playing with the kids they sit next to in class everyday, strengthening school communities - and instead they are trying to be too much like club soccer to validate their own abilities and hush the HS soccer naysayers. I tend to agree with Competitive Edge, kudos to those that recognize the differences but see the value and merit of both, rather than pitting them against each other. I'd love to see varsity teams go back to teams of upperclassmen who've paid their dues in the program and established a deep love for their school and pride in playing for their community, rather than these teams full of newbies that no one in the school even knows and is not going to fill the stands to support. Leave the social media boosting of individual players to the club, where the purpose is recruitment, and get back to varsity teams playing with grit to win age old rivalries and deepen friendships in school (something kids today need more of not less of). I'd love to return to the days of teams driven by kids with something to prove not coaches with something to prove, there's nothing like the grit of kids playing for each other and their friends in the stands. These teams are full of kids playing for their coach's shout out on social media, and a starting spot, and playing time. Grinding out a win for their school is way too far down on the list anymore IMO.

This is exactly what St. X does. There are extremely good players playing on JV there right now that at any other school would be playing, likely starting Varsity. They have zero Freshmen/Sophomores on Varsity

What are everyone's thoughts on KY residents playing soccer at an OH high school?

Nothing wrong with it as long as they went to grade school in Ohio the required number of years. We live in Michigan but my girls go to school in Toledo. We do it for the Faith, not the athletics. We've been cleared with the OHSAA each time. There are a couple of kids in the neighborhood, including a D1 football QB commit that live in Michigan but play in Ohio.

Not true. If you have gone to school in Ohio your whole life and continue to in high school, you can still play sports in Ohio.

Princeton scrimmaged Mercy Mcauley. Princeton struggled, they have a couple decent players but not enough to be competitive in the GMC. Two offensive players have the ability to score but they need more support from midfield. I see them finishing in the bottom half of the league. Mercy Mcauley looked dominate but i think Princeton helped the image. They have two defenders that looked liked track stars and two small girls up front that were quick and could finish. The midfield looked solid and they moved the ball around well. I see them battling for the GGCL title.

Nothing wrong with it as long as they went to grade school in Ohio the required number of years. We live in Michigan but my girls go to school in Toledo. We do it for the Faith, not the athletics. We've been cleared with the OHSAA each time. There are a couple of kids in the neighborhood, including a D1 football QB commit that live in Michigan but play in Ohio.

That is indeed another loop hole (attending an OH grade school for a number of years while residing in KY) but that is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about kids that spent K through 8th grade at a KY grade school, then attend an OH high school while their parents still reside in KY. This is against the OHSAA rules and is a form or cheating.

Some parents with enough money, purchase a second home (apartment or condo in OH) to get around the rule. The OHSAA is clear on this as well that the kid actually must live in this condo or apartment and not in KY. I know of several families that their kids live in KY, they have a second home in OH so their kid can play sports at the OH school. This is almost always happening at schools like St. Ursula and St. X.

That is indeed another loop hole (attending an OH grade school for a number of years while residing in KY) but that is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about kids that spent K through 8th grade at a KY grade school, then attend an OH high school while their parents still reside in KY. This is against the OHSAA rules and is a form or cheating.

Some parents with enough money, purchase a second home (apartment or condo in OH) to get around the rule. The OHSAA is clear on this as well that the kid actually must live in this condo or apartment and not in KY. I know of several families that their kids live in KY, they have a second home in OH so their kid can play sports at the OH school. This is almost always happening at schools like St. Ursula and St. X.
Seems silly given that there are CovCath and ND Academy in Covington at almost half the tuition cost. I guess some people have money to burn.

And what club do the other girls play for that score the remaining 5 goals?

Don't know, went to watch a friends daughter who plays club at CUP. I don't know many of them on either school anymore. I asked about her specifically because she was the most skilled and determined player on the field for either team last night. They told me she's an 04 or 05 and on the ECNL team. Like I said good game.

Don't know, went to watch a friends daughter who plays club at CUP. I don't know many of them on either school anymore. I asked about her specifically because she was the most skilled and determined player on the field for either team last night. They told me she's an 04 or 05 and on the ECNL team. Like I said good game.

I think the story is that she is a freshman, right? Not that she plays for OE.

After two days of soccer and my total over-reaction to early season results, I like Anderson enough to include them in the top tier in SWO. Mason, Beavercreek, Centerville, Loveland, Anderson and Lakota West, not necessarily in that order. Anderson-Seton is the only game I made it to this weekend, and I don't see a glaring weakness in Anderson's team. Will give Loveland a run for their money this season in the ECC.

I'll be at Springboro-Centerville tonight. I expect that to be a good one.