Fake crowd noise in sports broadcasts

Good or bad

• Total voters

Sig Hansen

As sports have returned some broadcasters (mostly Fox) have inserted fake crowd noise into the games to make it seem as if fans are present when they are not. I like it a lot, because the silence of an empty stadium is awful and crowd noise makes it seem like a real game.

As sports have returned some broadcasters (mostly Fox) have inserted fake crowd noise into the games to make it seem as if fans are present when they are not. I like it a lot, because the silence of an empty stadium is awful and crowd noise makes it seem like a real game.
The Bundesliga weekly recap show explained how they went about doing that. Basically it was based on past crowd reaction and history of matches between the opposing teams. Quite interesting the effort that went into making it as close to reality as it could be.

The Bundesliga weekly recap show explained how they went about doing that. Basically it was based on past crowd reaction and history of matches between the opposing teams. Quite interesting the effort that went into making it as close to reality as it could be.
Bundesliga was so realistic I actually thought there were fans in the stands for twenty minutes until every angle of the stadium was shown on tv and I realized it was totally empty lol. The Fox MLS broadcasts tonight were fine imo. Hockey and NBA are going to have to do something to drown out the profanity from players, or else you're going to be hearing f bombs every 30 seconds.

Ther silence of baseball might actually be nice because you'll hear the players and coaches yell at each other after every pitch. Or it could be horrible. We'll see

I listen to music when watching sports.... really, the only sport that would make a difference for me would be soccer as the crowd noise adds to the tension of the game.

Who can forget the radio announcer "recreating" the game with canned SFX in Bull Durham?

102945-tht_Garland_Bunting_3_of_20_tno-640x480.jpg

A laugh track in TV comedy sketch shows is the original fake crowd noise. Here is Big Bang without a laugh track, a completely different experience>

A laugh track in TV comedy sketch shows is the original fake crowd noise. Here is Big Bang without a laugh track, a completely different experience>

Big Bang Theory was actually filmed before live people. So not technically a a laugh track.

As for the difference removing the audience is the fact the timing and delivery is to accommodate the live audience reacting to the production. Without the audience the pacing would be much faster and natural without worrying about the audience drowning out the dialog.

Just a remnant of the old variety shows where everything was basically live in a studio. There's pros and cons to both.

Ronald Reagan used to re-broadcast games in the late 30's using artificial crowd noise and hitting wood on wood to simualte the crack of a back.

After watching Brewers/Cubs on FOX for twenty minutes, this is one of the most poorly executed broadcasting elements I've eve seen.
I agree. I actually like the gimmick of the cutouts in the seats, am neutral on the fake crowd noise and creeped out by the fake fans.

I agree. I actually like the gimmick of the cutouts in the seats, am neutral on the fake crowd noise and creeped out by the fake fans.
Was wondering when the cutouts would get brought up.

I hate them.
1595725334785.jpeg

Also don’t understand why Wrigley only had cutouts behind the ivy and not behind home plate.

Cleveland's going to have a virtual beer night. Bartman will be back in his seat. What happens when a virtual fan gets drilled in short right, nets along the outfield? Lot's of play potential with this.