Fairfield versus Toledo Rogers

lotr10

Fairfield celebrated the debut of their sparkling new turf field with a hard fought 24 – 18 victory over a game Toledo Rogers team.

A huge crowd was on hand but could only watch helplessly as the Indian offense floundered in the first half and early in the 3rd quarter by self destructing in the red zone and missing a couple of FG’s. FF was down 6 – 3 at the half as Rogers hit a big pass play covering 87 yards. In the 3rd quarter Toledo stretched the lead to 12 – 3 and things looked bleak for the Tribe. However, an electrifying 88 yard kick off return for a TD cut the Rogers lead to 12 – 10 and FF was on the way back.

The Indians would blow a great chance to take the lead when on Toledo’s next procession FF picked the ball off giving the Indians first down at the 15. But FF was unable to punch the ball into the end zone and then missed a short FG.

The game went back and forth with the Indians finally taking a 16 - 12 lead on a nice QB run. Rogers countered immediately with a beautifully executed 75 yard TD pass off a reverse. Toledo was now back up 18 – 16 but FF was not to be denied tonight as they drove 75 yards to score the winning TD from a yard out with 1:13 left in the game.

Some observations:

• The new field looked great under the lights!

• FF used two QB’s and they both struggled and excelled at times. The good news is that they both made some great plays in the fourth quarter to grab the win. My sense is given how different the style of play is between these two kids, opposing teams are going to have to game plan for both as coach Krause isn’t shy about playing both.

• The FF defense played great except for giving up 3 big pass plays. Still, compared to last year this defense is fast, athletic, tackles well and makes plays.

• FF needs to play better in the 1st half where they have been outscored 20 – 6 over the first two games. On the other hand the Indians have outscored their opponents 52 – 12 through the first two games in the second half.

• FF still has a long way to go but considering they have just doubled last years win total things are definitely looking up.

A great day for sure! That field is magnificent! And a big crowd too.
The two quarterback thing was great.
and the lines didnt get pushed around either, which was nice to see:thumb:

Thank you once again lotr. I always stay on here a little while longer to read your thoughts on Indians games.

Only got to listen to the second half of the game because of the faulty stream on fairfield.localsportsradio.com but my understanding was that both teams had trouble scoring in the first half with a scoreless first quarter and only 1 big touchdown pass by Rogers. Was that the case?

Also, I tried to give updates on the GMC thread about Fairfield's last drive. Care to talk about it in a little more detail than I could?

Once again, I really appreciate you giving these observations every week of every season! They're always top notch and really help me out when I'm out of town.

Thank you once again lotr. I always stay on here a little while longer to read your thoughts on Indians games.

Only got to listen to the second half of the game because of the faulty stream on fairfield.localsportsradio.com but my understanding was that both teams had trouble scoring in the first half with a scoreless first quarter and only 1 big touchdown pass by Rogers. Was that the case?

Also, I tried to give updates on the GMC thread about Fairfield's last drive. Care to talk about it in a little more detail than I could?

Once again, I really appreciate you giving these observations every week of every season! They're always top notch and really help me out when I'm out of town.

Staudi, FF ran the ball ok in the 1st half and had a couple of drives but could only get a FG.

The Indians defense completely shut Rogers down through the first quarter and a half. In fact Toledo didn't get a first down until well into the 2nd quarter. Their whole offense in the 1st half was one great 87 yard TD pass. Beyond that they did nothing on offense.

For the game winning drive coach Krause changed up QB's and went with #13. The play of the game was on 3rd and 18 he hit #83 who made a spectacular leaping catch over the middle to get the first. On the next play the QB scrambled for a big gain. The Indians hit another nice pass to #83 who took it to the 1 yard line before the Tribe scored the winner on an off tackle run. FF got the 2 point conversion on a pass and catch. After the KO the Indians completely shut Rogers down getting a sack then breaking up and almost intercepting the next pass. On third down FF got pressure on the QB who threw it out of bounds. On 4th and 14 FF forced the QB to run for a 2 yard gain. Game over.

Rogers was a pretty good team and they had a couple of good players. I read that they were again favored to win their Toledo league this year.

BTW, did you see what Beavercreek did to Carrol? 63 – 0! That was a decent win last week!

Staudi, FF ran the ball ok in the 1st half and had a couple of drives but could only get a FG.

The Indians defense completely shut Rogers down through the first quarter and a half. In fact Toledo didn't get a first down until well into the 2nd quarter. Their whole offense in the 1st half was one great 87 yard TD pass. Beyond that they did nothing on offense.

For the game winning drive coach Krause changed up QB's and went with #13. The play of the game was on 3rd and 18 he hit #83 who made a spectacular leaping catch over the middle to get the first. On the next play the QB scrambled for a big gain. The Indians hit another nice pass to #83 who took it to the 1 yard line before the Tribe scored the winner on an off tackle run. FF got the 2 point conversion on a pass and catch. After the KO the Indians completely shut Rogers down getting a sack then breaking up and almost intercepting the next pass. On third down FF got pressure on the QB who threw it out of bounds. On 4th and 14 FF forced the QB to run for a 2 yard gain. Game over.

Rogers was a pretty good team and they had a couple of good players. I read that they were again favored to win their Toledo league this year.

BTW, did you see what Beavercreek did to Carrol? 63 – 0! That was a decent win last week!

Saw that. Just glad I picked them to win!:thumb:

I'm not trying to bust Fairfield's bubble but T Roger's only wins last year were to teams with losing seasons. They were 5-5. (I used to live in Fairfield and have ties to former coaches there). In defense of Carroll, they had 3 two way starters injured. A DL was playing MLB. He's a decent player but has never played the position. Carroll is still rebuilding after the graduation of one of it's largest senior classes. (My kids have all graduated) Any win is a good win but don't predict your success by wins over Rogers and Creek. I predict Beavercreek will struggle to finish 5-5. (I live in B-Creek)

I'm not trying to bust Fairfield's bubble but T Roger's only wins last year were to teams with losing seasons. They were 5-5. (I used to live in Fairfield and have ties to former coaches there). In defense of Carroll, they had 3 two way starters injured. A DL was playing MLB. He's a decent player but has never played the position. Carroll is still rebuilding after the graduation of one of it's largest senior classes. (My kids have all graduated) Any win is a good win but don't predict your success by wins over Rogers and Creek. I predict Beavercreek will struggle to finish 5-5. (I live in B-Creek)

Trust me when I say there are no bubbles to bust down here in Fairfield.

When your record over the last six years (2006 - 2011) is 11 - 49 with only one winning season and over the last two years the team goes 3 - 17, it's understandable why we would get a bit excited about a 2 - 0 start. However, that's a long way from believeing that there still isn't tons of improvement needed - there is.

I will say this, if BC and TR are roughly "500" level teams (and I don't care who they beat) and FF gets a win against both that is definitely a step in the right direction for the program.

So about Brookhaven, anybody know if this team is better or worse than the one the spanked us 51-21 last year?

what is brookhaven s record ???:grouphug: :hello: :rainbow: ;;;go indians , good job .

Brookhaven is 0 – 2 coming off two tough losses. The first loss was to Marion Local 20 – 14 and Friday they lost to St. Francis de Sales 32 – 26.

Should be a close hard fought game this Friday night with the early forecast looking great – clear and a temperature in the upper 70’s at game time.