Failed war on drugs

Idiotic. Pretty obvious that we just haven't gone after drugs hard enough. I say we ramp up what we've been doing for the last half century. That should take care of it.

Most the people in the Athens state hospital back in the day were from addiction. The hospital went from 3000 beds to 90. It’s weird we were more progressive back in the day. Massive failure on the elected officials since 1970

On a serious note, I do wonder what it would take for people with their head in the sand to say "Hmm, you know what, maybe these policies aren't actually working."

On a serious note, I do wonder what it would take for people with their head in the sand to say "Hmm, you know what, maybe these policies aren't actually working."
The government doesn’t care. They love taking away rights. Most of the drug laws are pure racist. Marijuana was illegal because of Mexican immigrants used it. Opium was made illegal because of Chinese immigrants used it. The government let coke pour into the country to fund a war and then came up with three strikes

The government doesn’t care. They love taking away rights. Most of the drug laws are pure racist. Marijuana was illegal because of Mexican immigrants used it. Opium was made illegal because of Chinese immigrants used it. The government let coke pour into the country to fund a war and then came up with three strikes
I was mainly talking about just regular Joe's like the posters on this board, but I agree with everything you said here.

Legalizing drugs is not going to solve all problems associated with removing the laws and law enforcement.
Alcohol is legal. People are incarcerated because of their addiction to alcohol all the time.
All criminal behavior related to addiction is the same for alcohol as well as drug abuse.

Legalizing drugs is not going to solve all problems associated with removing the laws and law enforcement.
Alcohol is legal. People are incarcerated because of their addiction to alcohol all the time.
All criminal behavior related to addiction is the same for alcohol as well as drug abuse.
All won’t but lots will.

Legalizing and decriminalizing are two different things. Most out there self medicate and therefore need treatment and not incarceration.

Legalizing and decriminalizing are two different things. Most out there self medicate and therefore need treatment and not incarceration.

Ok well just found out a family member of mine died last night of a drug overdose. Very strange that I just commented on this thread early this morning to find this out later.
This individual was in and out of both jail and treatment centers. Nothing worked.. The OD was inevitable.

Show me someone who has ever said that it would.

I'd like you hear how you would tackle the drug problem. Should we continue on with the same policies, hoping that someday they will just magically work?

Ok well just found out a family member of mine died last night of a drug overdose. Very strange that I just commented on this thread early this morning to find this out later.
This individual was in and out of both jail and treatment centers. Nothing worked.. The OD was inevitable.
Our treatment centers are a F'ing joke. They are underfunded and do not come close to fully helping.

We need addiction centers that have the ability to take people, inpatient, for 6 mos. Perhaps even longer.

If we decriminalized drugs and took the money we take to incarcerate people for selling marijuana and used it on opioid addicts we could really make some headway. We need to quit treating addicts as pariahs and give them true medical & mental health care.

I unfortunately know too many people, who were so talented, die because of opioid addiction. People who knew what they were taking could kill them and were so addicted that they took it anyway (think about that degree of addiction?). In and out of outpatient & inpatient facilities that essentially put a band-aid on the problem.

I was mainly talking about just regular Joe's like the posters on this board, but I agree with everything you said here.
I feel it’s more the government. It’s impossible to take away power once they have it. It has put the police in a bad spot

You have to want to change. No amount of money thrown at the treatment centers will change people’s attitude. Our current environment tells people its not their fault.
It is your fault. When you want to lay blame to your situation look in the mirror.

Show me someone who has ever said that it would.

I'd like you hear how you would tackle the drug problem. Should we continue on with the same policies, hoping that someday they will just magically work?

There is no way to stop it. People are flawed. Some people finally get it and have self reflection and realize their situation is of their own doing and will get through it. Others like my relative will simply continue down the road to oblivion.

You have to want to change. No amount of money thrown at the treatment centers will change people’s attitude. Our current environment tells people its not their fault.
It is your fault. When you want to lay blame to your situation look in the mirror.

You have no idea how addiction truly affects people. Addicts do not want to be addicts. And then you cite a Rocky quote.