EXTRA FOOTBALL GAMES

Kurt Rambis

How many schools are out of the tournament, but still playing extra(needless) football games, delaying the arrival of basketball players?

How many schools are out of the tournament, but still playing extra(needless) football games, delaying the arrival of basketball players?

I believe the football regular season would've ended this Friday night anyway (if season was normal) so every football player would've been missing the first couple days of practice. Not the end of the world if football teams are playing extra games this weekend. I would say dragging it out into next weekend might be pushing it a little...

"Needless"?

If it's my senior year I would say playing a full 10-game schedule, regardless of whether my school is in or out of the postseason, is far from "needless."
fair enough.
But i also think of the atheltes playing these extra games, post tournament, who will get a year ending injury, and thats a shame.

Schools "highly encourage" kids to take 2 weeks off between seasons so they wouldn't be at basketball practice anyway.

Schools "highly encourage" kids to take 2 weeks off between seasons so they wouldn't be at basketball practice anyway.

HA HA... I don't know of any basketball program that has football players taking 2 weeks off before they come to basketball practice. 2 days maybe... not two weeks.

Ummm... No,You mentioned two schools that don’t rely on multi sport athletes. And even though those football players may not be full go, there’s no chance a kid is totally sitting out for two weeks in either of those schools and expecting to play. I can see where they have time off, but no chance it’s two weeks.

Such a loaded word, “needless”— hardly for you to decide these games are ”needless”— the kids playing do NOT play only to advance in the state‘s football playoff— we (non-student, non-players) need to remind ourselves of that fact, regularly.

For the kids that are seniors (most of which won't be playing in college), I think it is great that most got to play 10 or close to 10 total games.
Time off between seasons: Depends on the on the program and athlete and their status on the team. I believe there is a guideline of several days or 1 week off minimum by the ohsaa, but players don't have to follow this. If a player is ready to go right away they are allow to start practicing with the basketball team. Some kids have their last football game on friday night and are ready for basketball the following monday.
Some could really benefit from taking at least 4-5 days from bumbs/bruises and to get a mental break.

Also, if a kid is a returning starter or projected starter on the basketball team, 1-2 weeks off won't hurt his status with the team.
If a kid is a junior moving up from the JV, if he waits 2 weeks he might lose a spot in the rotation. A player like Land is more the exception that the rule to me. A top tier type of athlete like that, you do whatever makes sense to have him peaking at the right time for the basketball season, and Moeller has an elite deep program and can do that.

Some coaches also bring in the football guys right away but just have them watch the first few days and do walk throughs with plays, etc. - then go full go later in the week or in week 2 of practice.

The basketball season - heck all the winter seasons - are the longest ones in terms of length, and the playoffs are "all in". Therefore, giving the athletes a breather between seasons could serve as beneficial.

St. Ed’s does the same with wrestlers even with huge duals right at the beginning of the season.
The basketball season - heck all the winter seasons - are the longest ones in terms of length, and the playoffs are "all in". Therefore, giving the athletes a breather between seasons could serve as beneficial.

Both fair points. IME giving kids time off even in season is beneficial. IF we can, we like to give our kids a week off at Christmas to get their engine back to neutral, recharge and then get back at it for the LONG drive home (January, Feb, Marchish).