Euclid District 2020

cardzfan1234

We enter 2020 and several teams are about halfway done with the regular season. The voting will start next month. There is a clear difference between the top three teams and the rest of the teams. The battle for the top seed is incredibly significant. The top seed has to win one big game. The 2/3 seeds have to win two to get out of districts. Some big games over the next 5 weeks will help determine how the coaches vote. Here are the top four teams in alphabetical order:

Benedictine (5-4): Four losses were to St Eds, Lake Catholic, Fairview, and Rhodes - teams that are all going to be one of the top seeds at their respected district. The best win for the Bengals is against VASJ in a down season. They look like the clear #4 team in a three team district. Big drop off after #3 seed. But also a pretty big drop off after Benedictine.

Brush (8-2): Got hammered by Eds and just recently lost to Cleveland Heights. That loss to the Tigers will be working against Brush's hope for a top seed. The Arcs should cruise through their league (which happens to have most of the voting presence at the district), but will need to beat both Lutheran East and SVSM this month in order to win over the coaches to get the top seed.

Cleveland Heights (9-4): The Tigers are coming off their biggest win of the season against Brush, a win that goes a long way. They also beat St Ignatius, Garfield Heights, and Richmond Heights. The Tigers lost a close one to Lorain, one of the top teams in NEO. Of the top three teams at Euclid, they have the most losses - but they also have the most significant wins.

Mentor (4-3): A disappointing end to the Arby's Classic tournament over Christmas time was surprising. Their best in state opponent by far was a loss at Medina. Mentor lacks anything resembling a big win. They have their chances this month with a game against Shaker and rematch with Medina. Mentor always seems to have the backing and respect of area coaches (North, South, Madison, Riverside, etc.) when it comes to the voting process. They have the reputation, but currently lack the resume for the top seed.

Others: Mayfield, South, Harvey, Lakeside, Madison, University, North, Riverside

Time to resurrect this thread?

Should be interesting who gets the 1 seed.

Cleveland Heights has the most marquee wins but also has 5 losses.
Brush only has 1 major win against an undermanned Lorain team. Their last chance to make a statement is against St. Vincent-St. Mary.
Mentor has a nice win over Shaker Heights but some losses to Solon and Medina. The Medina game on Tuesday could factor in with these seeds.

Benedictine has 5 straight games against cleveland.com top 25 teams before voting ends. If they want to make a run at a higher seed now's the time for them to do it.

Right now I'd guess
1. Cleveland Heights
2. Mentor
3. Brush
4. Benedictine
5. University
6. Harvey
7. Madison
8. Mayfield
9. Lakeside
10. Riverside
11. South
12. North

Brush (11-5) lost out on their last opportunity for a statement win. Yes, they will own a lot of one-sided wins over the WRC teams - which make up half of the votes. But in the past, it hasn't really been a deciding factor. In actuality, it seems most of the WRC coaches favor Mentor over Brush even on a season like last where the Arcs mostly ran over the conference.

Brush lost head-to-head to Cleveland Heights )11-5) along with losing mostly every other big game they had. The #1 seed is out for them.

It comes down to Heights and Mentor (8-4). Right now, it is pretty tight. I think in order for Mentor to pass them, they can't lose again before the coaches vote. The most difficult obstacle will be Friday at home against Medina. The rest of the games (Euclid, Elyria, Lakota East, and Strongsville) should be wins...although the long road trip at Lakota East a day after the Medina game could be tough.

Cleveland Heights has Garfield Heights, who is without their top player in Sonny Jr. Then games against Maple and Bedford look to be the last ones. The Tigers should probably win out before the vote.

Benedictine should have a nice hold on the #4 seed. After that, the district is pretty down.

I think that Mentor can lose to Medina (13-2) or Lakota East (12-2) and still garner the #1 seed. Not making excuses, they lost to Medina in the 2nd game of the season (Floriea had only practiced for a week) and Medina is really good. They have lost to the 2nd and 3rd (4 division 1 recruits) ranked teams in North Carolina on for their 5th and 6th games. Those teams had already played 15+ games. Not that Mentor would have won but I think that the number of games is significant. They lost to a Solon team that is good. The GCC even at the bottom is substantially better that the WRC and LEL. The worst teams in the GCC would win 75% of their games in the WRC and LEL. There is no team in the LEL other than Lorain above with a winning percentage above 500. Cleveland Heights signature win is against Ignatius. Head to head vs Shaker Heights, Mentor won and Heights lost. I think there should be some room for Mentor as far as the coaches view their schedule.

Last edited:
I really don’t think the #1 seed is going to mean all that much this year. Even if you have to play 2 tough games if your not #1, any one of the top 4 teams is capable of accomplishing it, since none are exceptional this year.

I really don’t think the #1 seed is going to mean all that much this year. Even if you have to play 2 tough games if your not #1, any one of the top 4 teams is capable of accomplishing it, since none are exceptional this year.

I think the #1 seed is incredibly important this year, maybe more than just about any other year at Euclid in recent memory. Playing Benedictine in the semifinals compared to having to play one of the big three teams is a pretty significant difference in my eyes. Because all three of these teams (Mentor, Heights, Brush) have shown to be inconsistent and less than exceptional so far - having to play just one tough game to get out of districts instead of two is a huge advantage. It doesn't mean I don't think the #2 or #3 seed can cut down the nets, but the top seed will be a huge help to whomever gets it.

I think that Mentor can lose to Medina (13-2) or Lakota East (12-2) and still garner the #1 seed. Not making excuses, they lost to Medina in the 2nd game of the season (Floriea had only practiced for a week) and Medina is really good. They have lost to the 2nd and 3rd (4 division 1 recruits) ranked teams in North Carolina on for their 5th and 6th games. Those teams had already played 15+ games. Not that Mentor would have won but I think that the number of games is significant. They lost to a Solon team that is good. The GCC even at the bottom is substantially better that the WRC and LEL. The worst teams in the GCC would win 75% of their games in the WRC and LEL. There is no team in the LEL other than Lorain above with a winning percentage above 500. Cleveland Heights signature win is against Ignatius. Head to head vs Shaker Heights, Mentor won and Heights lost. I think there should be some room for Mentor as far as the coaches view their schedule.

I agree with everything you posted.

If Mentor is able to get the #1 seed if they lose to Medina or Lakota East this week (and especially if they lose to both), it will be based solely on reputation and not on this year's success. They have one signature win (Shaker) so far in basically two months of play. Their second best win of the season is against Brunswick, the 6th best team in the GCC. Their other wins were a couple out of state teams people know nothing about, Elyria/Strongsville (the bottom two teams in the league), and a winless Eastlake North. Cleveland Heights on the other hand has beaten Garfield Heights, St Ignatius, Brush, and Richmond Heights. As much as I am a Mentor supporter, I wouldn't vote them #1 unless they can go perfect this week and add two signature wins to their resume. Heights deserves the top seed unless Mentor knocks off Medina on Friday.

If Mentor is able to get the #1 seed if they lose to Medina or Lakota East this week (and especially if they lose to both), it will be based solely on reputation and not on this year's success. They have one signature win (Shaker) so far in basically two months of play. Their second best win of the season is against Brunswick, the 6th best team in the GCC. Their other wins were a couple out of state teams people know nothing about, Elyria/Strongsville (the bottom two teams in the league), and a winless Eastlake North. Cleveland Heights on the other hand has beaten Garfield Heights, St Ignatius, Brush, and Richmond Heights. As much as I am a Mentor supporter, I wouldn't vote them #1 unless they can go perfect this week and add two signature wins to their resume. Heights deserves the top seed unless Mentor knocks off Medina on Friday.
Right now, I have:
1-Cleveland Heights
2-Brush
3-Benedictine
4-Mentor

IMO this District is Cleveland Heights and then everyone else. It seems like it is theirs to lose. Mentor seems to be rounding into shape, but I thought they would be more consistent through the course of the year. Still, if they are playing well at the right time, anything can happen! Brush has shown that they don't have the guard play to make a deep playoff run. And Benedictine does seem to be the 4th best horse in a 3 horse field.

Mentor's biggest problem this year has been their bench. I've been to most of their games & have seen when their starters get into early foul trouble, their bench was very thin. In latter years, they always were 8 to 10 deep. This year ,so far, they have been 6 or 7 deep. I feel, by tournament time, they could be 9 deep, depending on more playing time. I have seen significant improvement of their bench in the last 4 games. Most importantly, the big guys on the depth chart are getting more capable of replacing Rogers & Piks if they get into early foul trouble. That was not the case in their early losses, which really hurt them. Also, Florea was late getting into shape due to the long run in his football playoffs & is now rounding into basketball shape, physically & mentally. I agree this weeks games with Medina & Lakota East are critical, but I do not agree Cleveland Hts is the favorite for the #1 seed yet. Anything can happen before the votes for seeding start.

The more Benedictine plays the less I'm sure they're the 4 seed. I don't think they win their next games against St. Ignatius and Solon. Would coaches vote a 9-9 Benedictine team over a University School who has wins over Gilmour and Walsh? Or even 12-3/12-4 Madison team?

I'm not going to put my Tigers on that pedestal quite yet,I agree anything can happen.But after watching that close defensive battle @ Garfield Hts,which Heights won 48-43 gave me a new perspective view on the Tigers going forward. Especially Point Guard Garvin Clarke,he is a big handful.

Mentor is the best coached team in the District. That will go a long way with any flaws in talent which they don't have many. Mentor vs Heights district final will be a good as any in the area

Mentor's biggest problem this year has been their bench. I've been to most of their games & have seen when their starters get into early foul trouble, their bench was very thin. In latter years, they always were 8 to 10 deep. This year ,so far, they have been 6 or 7 deep. I feel, by tournament time, they could be 9 deep, depending on more playing time. I have seen significant improvement of their bench in the last 4 games. Most importantly, the big guys on the depth chart are getting more capable of replacing Rogers & Piks if they get into early foul trouble. That was not the case in their early losses, which really hurt them. Also, Florea was late getting into shape due to the long run in his football playoffs & is now rounding into basketball shape, physically & mentally. I agree this weeks games with Medina & Lakota East are critical, but I do not agree Cleveland Hts is the favorite for the #1 seed yet. Anything can happen before the votes for seeding start.

The depth after the big three took a big blow last night with Piks leaving the game hurt. I don't know how long the injury will keep him out, but it could be a while. It certainly makes beating Medina on Friday that much harder. Piks did not reach the heights I expected this season, but he is the 4th most valuable player on the team still. His length, shooting, rebounding, experience, and defense will not be easily replaced.

Heading into the week of coaches voting for the seeds, here is how they stand:

Cleveland Heights (13-5) has big wins over St Ignatius, Brush, Garfield Heights, and Richmond Heights. Losses to Shaker, WGH, Lorain, Bedford, and OOS team

Mentor (10-5) has big wins over Shaker and Medina. Losses to Medina, Solon, Lakota East, and two OOS teams

Brush (13-5) has a big win over Lorain. Losses to St Eds, Cleveland Heights, SVSM, Lutheran East, and OOS team

Benedictine (9-8) has big wins over Hoban and VASJ (twice). Losses to Fairview, Rhodes, St Eds, Lake Catholic, SVSM, St Ignatius, etc.

Others: University (12-5), South (6-9), Riverside (4-11), Harvey (9-4), Lakeside (5-10), Madison (10-5), Mayfield (10-6), North (winless)

Last edited:
Even though they have mostly pounded on half of the voting teams in league play, I think Brush is going to get the 3 seed. Their biggest win of the season was a buzzer beater two months ago against a Seth Wilson-less Lorain team. The real question will be Cleveland Heights or Mentor for the top seed. IMO, Mentor was one win away from the resume to earn the top seed. Had they beaten either Solon or Lakota East, I would say they deserve it. As things stand, Heights has a better record and more quality wins. If I were voting, I would give a slight nod to the Tigers. But coaches from North, South, Mayfield, Riverside, etc. have a ton of respect for Mentor/Krizancic. Those coaches are pretty likely to give Mentor the benefit of the doubt when the margin between Mentor and Heights appears to be so slim.

University has a better record than Benedictine, but they don't play anywhere near the schedule. I would put the Bengals at 4th, but you never know what the coaches will do. The WRC coaches could favor one of their own and bump up the 2nd best WRC team, which appears to be Mayfield, to the 4th or 5th seed. Here is my best guess on how the coaches will vote:

1. Mentor
2. Cleveland Heights
3. Brush
4. Benedictine
5. Mayfield
6. University
7. Madison
8. Harvey
9. South
10. Riverside
11. Lakeside
12. North

With Cleveland Heights out, a Mentor/Brush final is incredibly likely. With just 11 teams, we will now see the top 5 seeds get a bye and only three sectional semifinal games with the bottom 6 seeds. It doesn't really matter now who is the 1 seed and who is the 2 seed between Mentor and Brush. Maybe on a perfect night, a team like Benedictine could upset one of them. Other than that, nobody really has much of a shot at beating Mentor and Brush. Coaches had to resubmit their votes and we will get results and tournament matchups tomorrow afternoon sometime.

Anybody have the draw? I don’t see it posted anywhere yet.

As expected Mentor grabs the one seed and due to Heights being eliminated - Brush slides into the 2 spot.

Out of the 9 other teams at the district (both Mentor and Brush voted themselves #1), only Lakeside and Riverside voted for Brush as the #1 seed. The rest (including several teams in Brush's conference) voted for Mentor. It isn't surprising. Mentor has the reputation. Brush is clearly not as good as they have been the past two seasons, and they lack a signature win. But clearly they are the 2nd best team in the district and I am not looking past them as a Mentor fan. If Hugley dominates and Mentor has an off-shooting night and/or Chad Rogers gets into foul trouble, the Arcs are very capable of beating the Cards. Mentor is not as good as they were last year either.

Unless their ruling gets overturned, we will never know who would have gotten the top seed between Mentor and Cleveland Heights. I bet it would've been pretty close between the two for the top seed.

As for the other seeds, I was very surprised that Harvey got as much support as they did. The #3 seed for a team that plays in a DII league. Benedictine's record isn't good, but their schedule is very tough. I am pretty surprised that the 2nd best WRC team is just the 6 seed. More than half of the votes came from the coaches in the WRC. Usually in this scenario, schools in the league get a little fraternity bump. Not the case in 2020. Maybe the coaches recognize that this is a down year in the league. This explains why Brush is so easily dominating. Besides Brush, the WRC teams made up five of the bottom six seeds.

Mentor will play the winner of Benedictine/University in a sectional final. Before the bracket came out, I was hoping to play Harvey in that round. It would have been a fun, fresh, and local matchup. I think a game against the Red Raiders on a weekend at Mentor would have had a nice crowd on both sides. Oh well. Maybe next year.

I love looking at how different coaches vote and this years What the Heck Award goes to Eastlake North who voted:
1. Mentor
2. Benedictine
3. University School
4. Brush

I love looking at how different coaches vote and this years What the Heck Award goes to Eastlake North who voted:
1. Mentor
2. Benedictine
3. University School
4. Brush

That does win the award. North's coach is a Mentor grad who played for Krizancic. They got wacked by Brush both times this year (84-40, 109-41). Not sure how he couldn't come away impressed. Maybe some personal bias was involved?

For those that are curious about how coaches votes, here are the results: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows....=2n+LvTPD0mEJ3dHtwBVoLZsEXvFJEPWBjr3fUbHQC/M=

As a coach, I would hate that my votes are made public. It does help with transparency though.

Despite Coach Mason pulling back the reigns on Eastlake North last week the lowly Rangers still low-balled Coach Mason Arc's in the voting process. The good ol' boys club in full effect with Coach Krizancic and his little minions. We shall see how it works out.

Mr. Arc you may have a dilemma here. If things go according to plan you may have to root against former VASJ coach Wojo( who was replaced by Babe at VASJ.) Harvey vs. Brush. Do you root for a friend and former classmate Wojo or root for your supposed attended HS?????

Despite Coach Mason pulling back the reigns on Eastlake North last week the lowly Rangers still low-balled Coach Mason Arc's in the voting process. The good ol' boys club in full effect with Coach Krizancic and his little minions. We shall see how it works out.

I’m told that the AD at Cleveland Heights used to be a close friend of Coach Babe at VASJ and then recently the two of them had a falling out. Apparently the AD at Cleveland Heights did not “like” one of Coach Babe’s motivational tweets and this set off a firestorm that ultimately resulted in a phone call to the OHSAA to report the violations. Many local coaches in the area are discussing this theory and the theory as a result of the slap on the wrist that the VASJ program got a couple years back when they posted pictures of themselves scrimmaging a Pro-Am team. That team started their own athletic director, at the time, at the shooting guard spot. To think that the Cleveland Heights kids have to sit out an entire postseason while others go unpunished is deplorable I’m also told that Coach Babe may be undercover as a NARC for Commissioner Jerry Snodgrass. Time wil tell.

Do you even believe the sewage that comes out of your mouth. You have such a hard on for VASJ and Babe that you blame everything on him. I used to support your right to speak on here but the more I think about it yours should be removed for the frivolous rumors and junk you post.