Euclid District 2020

Back to back losses for Harvey against district teams in Lakeside and Benedictine. I don’t think it’ll make any difference in who wins the district but we might have some entertaining district final games with the potential Harvey/Madison game and the University/Benedictine game.

I was pretty surprised when the coaches awarded Harvey the 3 seed. They are a 3 seed at a DIII tournament, not DI. They play in a DII league and their biggest win is against Chagrin or Perry? Brush has an incredibly easy path to a district final. Probably the easiest of any team in the state in DI. I thought Benedictine deserved the 3 seed, even though their difficult schedule made their record look mediocre. Some coaches clearly voted on wins and losses rather than looking at where those wins and losses came from.

Whether or not you think they’ll come back, how does everyone thing the coaches will vote of Heights gets back in?
Do they account for games that have been played after the initial voting date?
If that’s the case I don’t think you can put Harvey at the 4 seed.
I’d have
Mentor
Heights
Brush
US
Benedictine
Harvey

I wonder how it would look. Do they vote again for every team or just vote for where they would place Cleveland Heights among the current seeds?

I would guess that Cleveland Heights gets seeded #2 unless there is a lot of bitterness about this. But I don't know what benefits there are to intentionally voting them to a lower seed.

From Mentor's perspective, as long as they remain the top seed their path to success remains about the same. Win one tough game during district play to advance to CSU. Whether it was Brush or Cleveland Heights, it still would be a tough game. Of the two, I think Heights is a slightly better team, certainly much better and more experienced guard play. But Hughley can be a matchup nightmare.

I wonder how it would look. Do they vote again for every team or just vote for where they would place Cleveland Heights among the current seeds?

I would guess that Cleveland Heights gets seeded #2 unless there is a lot of bitterness about this. But I don't know what benefits there are to intentionally voting them to a lower seed.

From Mentor's perspective, as long as they remain the top seed their path to success remains about the same. Win one tough game during district play to advance to CSU. Whether it was Brush or Cleveland Heights, it still would be a tough game. Of the two, I think Heights is a slightly better team, certainly much better and more experienced guard play. But Hughley can be a matchup nightmare.
Unless there was a collective effort to screw Mentor, can't imagine they'd get voted lower than 3.

Whether or not you think they’ll come back, how does everyone thing the coaches will vote of Heights gets back in?
Do they account for games that have been played after the initial voting date?
If that’s the case I don’t think you can put Harvey at the 4 seed.
I’d have
Mentor
Heights
Brush
US
Benedictine
Harvey

1-Brush
2-Heights
3-Mentor
4-Harvey
5-Benedictine
6-US

Yet another win more impressive than any on the Brush resume.
Losing to Lake Catholic is worse than any loss on Coach Mason’s schedule. My hope is that the coaches on the district do the right thing when the coaches re-seed tomorrow. Mentor is clearly not deserving of a #1 seed. Brush is.

Losing to Lake Catholic is worse than any loss on Coach Mason’s schedule. My hope is that the coaches on the district do the right thing when the coaches re-seed tomorrow. Mentor is clearly not deserving of a #1 seed. Brush is.
Wait a minute. In the initial vote, the coaches pretty convincingly voted Mentor #1. Now, with the addition of Cleveland Heights into the mix (a team that BEAT Brush!), it is your view that the coaches should throw all of that out and vote Brush as the #1 seed!?! And to support your position you point to Mentor's loss to Lake Catholic; which is 16-6 with wins over Benedictine, VASJ and CCC as well! That's the silliest thing I've heard in a while.

Wait a minute. In the initial vote, the coaches pretty convincingly voted Mentor #1. Now, with the addition of Cleveland Heights into the mix (a team that BEAT Brush!), it is your view that the coaches should throw all of that out and vote Brush as the #1 seed!?! And to support your position you point to Mentor's loss to Lake Catholic; which is 16-6 with wins over Benedictine, VASJ and CCC as well! That's the silliest thing I've heard in a while.
Lake’s best win is Mentor. All those other teams aren’t even close to Brush.

It’s about how you are playing heading into the tournament and Mentor is playing like a team that got embarrassed by a D2 school with 6 losses at home on senior night. No thanks.

It’s about how you are playing heading into the tournament and Mentor is playing like a team that got embarrassed by a D2 school with 6 losses at home on senior night. No thanks.
And Brush hasn't played a team that is likely to get past the first round since January! How is that going to prepare them for the playoffs!?! I know it isn't Brush's fault they are in a weak conference, but you can't count blow out wins against lesser opponents as proof you are "playoff ready"! C'mon, you have to be smarter than that.

This isn't important but is just another example about how you rarely educate yourself about a topic before posting on it. Mentor's senior night was Friday against Solon. Not important but...........more of the same.

It will be a great day when Brush exits the tournament with a loss again this year ...

USA basketball will wear black patches at Toyko Olympics as they mourn...

This isn't important but is just another example about how you rarely educate yourself about a topic before posting on it. Mentor's senior night was Friday against Solon. Not important but...........more of the same.

Sorry, they were embarrassed on the senior’s last regular season home game to a D2 team with 6 losses. Is that more accurate?

Not that Mentor needs me defending its seeding, but in the last two weeks, Mentor has played Shaker Heights, VASJ, Solon and Lake Catholic. In that same time, Brush has played Madison, Mayfield, Kenston and Chardon. You tell me who is more playoff ready! What people who never played a sport, or who simply don't understand competition cannot comprehend is that a tough win, or even a close loss, against a quality opponent is almost always FAR more beneficial than blowing out lesser opponents.

I know everyone craps on brush because of brusharc. But Brush has far and away the best player in the district. And if Mentor struggled with Eller (I wasn’t at the game so since they lost I’ll assume they did) they’ll probably struggle with Hugley. And Brush’s complimentary players are better than Lake Catholic’s.
Mentor was the great equalizer with coach K but I don’t think this is a run away district by any means.

I know everyone craps on brush because of brusharc. But Brush has far and away the best player in the district. And if Mentor struggled with Eller (I wasn’t at the game so since they lost I’ll assume they did) they’ll probably struggle with Hugley. And Brush’s complimentary players are better than Lake Catholic’s.
Mentor was the great equalizer with coach K but I don’t think this is a run away district by any means.
Finally, some realism to this thread. I’ve been saying the same thing for months and all the people from Mentor can say s how tough there schedule is. Is it possible the league is overrated? I mean, if the disbanding NCL Champs from a small school league can walk into Mentor’s gym and embarrass them it is possible they are way overrated.

It is a point well taken and one I considered while watching last night. Eller, for better and for worse, is not the type of high school big that Hugley is. There are some similarities though and some causes for concern. Last year Hugley had a great set of guards playing with him, but Brush still couldn't knock off Mentor. I agree that the supporting cast of Brush is more talented than Lake. But are they better coached? Nope. Plus nobody on Brush is anywhere near the guard (right now) that Frazier is. Brush has some young, raw talent in the backcourt - but Frazier is a 6'4 guard that has started since he was a freshman. A coach's son that is well disciplined and intelligent. A kid that is going to Dayton, a top team in the country right now.

Lake Catholic plays much better team defense than I have ever seen Brush play. A sign of the kids and talent, but also a difference in coaching philosophy. Moran coached a great game last night. Slowed it down. Put the game in the hands of his two stars. Used his best defender to face guard Chicone and make it tough for him to be effective. The length of Eller definitely frustrated Rogers and Mentor's guards from attacking it well. Smart and disciplined defense trumps big and raw athletic defense.

I have said all season that Brush could beat Mentor. But I wouldn't bet on it. When push comes to shove, the best guards win. Luka Eller was great yesterday. But if Lake only got a so-so game from Luke Frazier, Mentor would've easily won. Mentor has the advantage in guard play against Brush. Yesterday Frazier was the best and most experienced guard on the floor. Brush won't have that advantage.

Lol! I agree with you. Brusharc has ruined a good story! And Hughley is certainly a man amongst boys when he steps out onto the court. The problem is Brush seems to be very much a one-man show. The guard play has been ... inconsistent ... at best from what I have seen and from what I have heard. And as the tournament progresses, it becomes increasingly a guard-dominated game. When it comes down to the wire of a close game where they need a guard to break a press, or to make a shot or a pass, they haven't really shown the ability yet to get it done. One of the main reasons to play a tough schedule (especially down the stretch) is to have those kind of moments so your players will have the experience and the "muscle-memory", so to speak, to fall back on when you are a shot up or a shot down at the end of a game. Brush certainly has the talent (with Hughley) to win the district. But Mentor has "been there, done that" in close, meaningful games, this year. And until Brush takes that next step and kicks the door in to at least claim a district title, then they will remain just another good program.

Brush sucks and have beaten nobody. Coach K will out coach Chet Mason and Brush will not advance past Districts.

Are you and bball216 the same?

Brush sucks and have beaten nobody. Coach K will out coach Chet Mason and Brush will not advance past Districts.

Are you and bball216 the same?
You guys beat a very average Mentor team last night. A team that lost by 48 points earlier this year. Let’s not get overly nachas.

It is a point well taken and one I considered while watching last night. Eller, for better and for worse, is not the type of high school big that Hugley is. There are some similarities though and some causes for concern. Last year Hugley had a great set of guards playing with him, but Brush still couldn't knock off Mentor. I agree that the supporting cast of Brush is more talented than Lake. But are they better coached? Nope. Plus nobody on Brush is anywhere near the guard (right now) that Frazier is. Brush has some young, raw talent in the backcourt - but Frazier is a 6'4 guard that has started since he was a freshman. A coach's son that is well disciplined and intelligent. A kid that is going to Dayton, a top team in the country right now.

Lake Catholic plays much better team defense than I have ever seen Brush play. A sign of the kids and talent, but also a difference in coaching philosophy. Moran coached a great game last night. Slowed it down. Put the game in the hands of his two stars. Used his best defender to face guard Chicone and make it tough for him to be effective. The length of Eller definitely frustrated Rogers and Mentor's guards from attacking it well. Smart and disciplined defense trumps big and raw athletic defense.

I have said all season that Brush could beat Mentor. But I wouldn't bet on it. When push comes to shove, the best guards win. Luka Eller was great yesterday. But if Lake only got a so-so game from Luke Frazier, Mentor would've easily won. Mentor has the advantage in guard play against Brush. Yesterday Frazier was the best and most experienced guard on the floor. Brush won't have that advantage.

Mentor would’ve easily won? My God Cardz really?

Chicone was shut down last night. And LC defense shut down Mentor and held them to 55 points. A mentor team that was on a 9 game winning streak averaging over 80 a game.

I think you meant to say...Lake could‘ve easily won by a much larger score?