ESPX

Part of a program at X, kids get that have an interest get to announce the games, they do it for basketball, and I think soccer as well. One of the many extracurriculars at X designed to promote learning and real life experience for a potential career path. They are going to struggle from time to time, but what a great way to learn and get experience.

Isn't ESPX free? I would be happy just to have a free platform to view games. Lasalle and Elder have charged for some time now and even schools that are normally free like Colerain, have been forced to go to a paid platform to recoup some lost revenue at the gate. Imagine being a parent or family member unable to get a ticket and having to pay to watch Oak Hills play football.

Yes it is free, St X Boosters solicited sponsors to cover the cost. Works out good for the fans and good for the kids. Hopefully St. X fans can patronize the sponsors as a thank you.

Isn't ESPX free? I would be happy just to have a free platform to view games. Lasalle and Elder have charged for some time now and even schools that are normally free like Colerain, have been forced to go to a paid platform to recoup some lost revenue at the gate. Imagine being a parent or family member unable to get a ticket and having to pay to watch Oak Hills play football.
or colerain before kerry arrived.......

jtk
()

Last week was the first time I had to pay La Salle to stream a game. I thought their home game were free on YouTube in previous years.

I think the kids do/did a FINE JOB! They have some great catchphrases and interjections (e.g.- “taking a page from Leveon Bell’s playbook”)— yeah, they’re not pros— but they’re pretty good for 16-17 year old kids--and they bring excitement and some novelty to the broadcast— yet without being “homers” (e.g.- saying they may have seen the X center flinch on the key penalty against Elder on the last drive; noting how much better Elder’s Nieman was than X’s DBs)... give ’em the credit they deserve!— and tell me the kid named Owen doesn’t sound JUST LIKE that Tom Gamble that used to be on 1160 BOB with Richard Skinner (and is on WLW, now)...

I think the kids do/did a FINE JOB! They have some great catchphrases and interjections (e.g.- “taking a page from Leveon Bell’s playbook”)— yeah, they’re not pros— but they’re pretty good for 16-17 year old kids--and they bring excitement and some novelty to the broadcast— yet without being “homers” (e.g.- saying they may have seen the X center flinch on the key penalty against Elder on the last drive; noting how much better Elder’s Nieman was than X’s DBs)... give ’em the credit they deserve!— and tell me the kid named Owen doesn’t sound JUST LIKE that Tom Gamble that used to be on 1160 BOB with Richard Skinner (and is on WLW, now)...
That's who it is, Tom Gamble!! I knew Owen sounded like someone from radio. Apparently Zack sounds pretty much the same in person, my son was able to identify him in about 5 seconds by voice alone. I think they do a pretty solid job, especially compared to a lot of the HS home broadcasts I've seen or heard. Of course some bias, but hell, you get some homer bias from local hired teams at just about every level.

That's who it is, Tom Gamble!! I knew Owen sounded like someone from radio. Apparently Zack sounds pretty much the same in person, my son was able to identify him in about 5 seconds by voice alone. I think they do a pretty solid job, especially compared to a lot of the HS home broadcasts I've seen or heard. Of course some bias, but hell, you get some homer bias from local hired teams at just about every level.

I thought the announcers did pretty well. You have no idea how difficult that job is unless you have tried to do it. I do have a beef with the cameraman and it has nothing to do with skills but attentiveness (which should be easy to fix). There really is no excuse for the camera not to be on the ball more or less at all times. Since this is a single camera set up, there is no choice but to follow the ball and adjust the frame (with occasional scoreboard shots between plays for time). Sometimes it seemed as whomever was running the camera was daydreaming (or maybe texting).

I thought the announcers did pretty well. You have no idea how difficult that job is unless you have tried to do it. I do have a beef with the cameraman and it has nothing to do with skills but attentiveness (which should be easy to fix). There really is no excuse for the camera not to be on the ball more or less at all times. Since this is a single camera set up, there is no choice but to follow the ball and adjust the frame (with occasional scoreboard shots between plays for time). Sometimes it seemed as whomever was running the camera was daydreaming (or maybe texting).
They did great for being new to announcing but the camera man needs to flash over to the scoreboard especially when the time is getting low. I had no Idea how much time was left on the clock near the end of the game. They are all learning so hats off to them

Any plans to stream the X vs. Cathedral game,........inquiring minds want to know.

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

Wow–this student crew REALLY misses Owen— Zach seems to have entered an alternate reality (with his repeated claim that X pulled their starting QB to ”try to trick Cathedral“)— and the other guy— well, I can’t say anything good, so I’ll just say nothing...

Meanwhile, they keep getting the down wrong, the graphic on down and distance is rarely correct— and when they try to show the audience the game time (a good-intentioned improvement from previous weeks), they keep getting the scoreboard clock out of focus... plus, they don‘t seem to know that we can still HEAR them, when they take a “break”...

Supposedly Owen will be back on next Week— they sorely missed him this week

Somebody needs to tell Zach that “weary” is NOT the same word as “wary”...