Elyria, Strongsville, Brunswick and Medina 2018 outlook. Greater Cleveland Conference

Mike Gully

I haven’t seen a ton of information on the west side GCC schools. I’ve heard Strongsville is going to be pretty good. Medina usually has a good pool of talent to play with. Brunswick is always tough even when bad and Elyria is continuing to trend downward currently. What have you heard or what do you know!?

Watched Strongsville against Eastlake North or Normandy it may have been at a seven on seven over the weekend. It appears that they have some big issues that they cover up with dirty play and weak attempts at intimidation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strongsville should be the best of the west side teams, by a pretty significant margin. This senior class has been the one that has been targeted for several years as a group that can make a deep playoff run. I'm not sure how sustainable any success will be, however, as the talent level drops off significantly once this class graduates. There's some talent in the lower grades, but outside of a fairly large sophomore class, the numbers look very thin all the way down to the middle school teams (already had to go to one 8th grade team last year and for sure will only have one 8th grade team this year; and I'm guessing they may only field one 7th grade team this year ... it made no sense to me for them to have two 7th grade teams with 13 to 15 kids on each last year only to have both teams lose every game by 50 points).

I'll take a guess and put Medina in the second spot, but it could go either way with them or Brunswick ... and I'm not even sure it matters because I doubt either will be serious threats for playoff spots. The future is bright for the Bees, though, as they have a lot of numbers and a lot of talent coming up in the lower grades, but probably two years away.

Brunswick had a lot of good seniors last season, so I'm not sure what the expectations are. While this is no longer the Brunswick of the mid-90s through about five years ago, they will have numbers and their JV and freshmen teams were both solid, IIR.

I have no clue about Elyria, but will assume they are likely going to finish last in the conference (I know Shaker lost a couple good skill players, but that program at least appears to be trending in the right direction).

Strongsville only had 30 or so 7th graders out for football in 2017? With around 250 boys per grade, that is not a good sign. But at least for now, Strongsville could have their best team in ten years. If this group can't muster a playoff spot, it might be a long time before that happens again. The Mustangs went 6-4 last year. They will need to win one of those big games (Mentor, Euclid, Solon, and Hudson) to make the playoffs this season.

I think Brunswick and Medina will be in the 3 or 4 win range. Medina brings back 15 or 16 starters, but a lot of their top guys did graduate. I would like to think the longer Laird is there, the better chance Medina has at being a top 3 or 4 GCC team. Don't know much at all about Elyria, but I imagine they will be at the basement of the GCC again along with Shaker.

Watched Strongsville against Eastlake North or Normandy it may have been at a seven on seven over the weekend. It appears that they have some big issues that they cover up with dirty play and weak attempts at intimidation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only 7on7, but a Strongsville dad told me Euclid beat Strongsville by about 30 points last weekend in the semis at the West Geauga tournament.

Euclid wasn't that much better. They were hammering the one corner of Strongsville who was not their starter. Couldn't do much against Strongsville's other corner. Euclid does have one real good receiver and a couple good receivers. They have a smaller QB who can throw it. Don't believe he was the starter. Strongsville has one real good receiver and their QB threw the ball well.

Does Strongsville open again with Berea-Midpark? If so, buckle up and enjoy the scoreboard lights. Both teams should score a lot, and the outcome could go either way.

Strongsville only had 30 or so 7th graders out for football in 2017? With around 250 boys per grade, that is not a good sign. But at least for now, Strongsville could have their best team in ten years. If this group can't muster a playoff spot, it might be a long time before that happens again. The Mustangs went 6-4 last year. They will need to win one of those big games (Mentor, Euclid, Solon, and Hudson) to make the playoffs this season.

I think Brunswick and Medina will be in the 3 or 4 win range. Medina brings back 15 or 16 starters, but a lot of their top guys did graduate. I would like to think the longer Laird is there, the better chance Medina has at being a top 3 or 4 GCC team. Don't know much at all about Elyria, but I imagine they will be at the basement of the GCC again along with Shaker.

So does that mean you think they have an easy opening night win vs. Berea? Since you only mentioned they need a big win over (Mentor, Euclid, Solon, Hudson). Thoughts?

So does that mean you think they have an easy opening night win vs. Berea? Since you only mentioned they need a big win over (Mentor, Euclid, Solon, Hudson). Thoughts?

I don't know anything about Berea, so there was no intentional knock on the Titans. They were 4-6 last year, only beating teams with losing records. They are a large district that has mostly underachieved since they combined several years ago. But if Berea will be much improved, then that is one more tough opponent for the Mustangs. Strongsville will almost certainly need 7 wins to make the playoffs...wherever they get them will work fine.

Last season, the GCC beat each other up pretty good and they only ended up with two playoff teams. I would like to think that the league will get three teams in the playoffs, but who knows.

Cardz,

Yeah, Strongsville only had 30 7th graders and they split the teams to be evenly bad, lol, and they both were.

The 8th grade numbers, I'm assuming were even worse. They planned on having two teams but decided to go down to one once the numbers came in. I didn't see them, but apparently there must be some talent in that class, though, because they handed a very talented Claggett (Medina) 8th grade team its only loss in their two MS seasons.

This is veering off a bit, but the numbers aren't just a Strongsville thing. Brunswick's 7th grade wasn't that much better. Both teams were good, but South maybe had 20 or so players and Willets only had about 15.

I saw one of Euclid's two teams (I'm hoping Euclid had two teams, lol.) The one I saw had 14 kids and was just as bad as either of the two Strongsville teams ... probably worse. They literally had two kids quit in the middle of the third quarter. Both walked off the field after a touchdown that made it something like 40-0 and just sat on the bench at midfield. It was sad/funny because the rest of the game there was like four coaches on the sideline and one tiny kid standing next to them.

On the bright side, Medina's numbers are extremely strong and they have a bunch of talent at the MS/freshman level. Both schools' 7th and 8th grade teams each had about 30 players and a bunch of good ones (so about 120 total kids last year between 7th and 8th ... compared to like 55 for Strongsville). Hopefully, they will have the same type of numbers in the 7th grade program this year. Anyway, it's why I'm expecting Medina to be the team to beat on the west side of the conference within the next couple of years. I wouldn't be surprised if 8-10 kids off that talented freshman class are on varsity as sophomores.

As for this year, I'll change my tune on Medina. I forgot how injury ravaged they were last year, which caused a lot of younger kids to take some lumps. But they have a pretty good group of seniors and some good juniors who should step up. I also heard they have a little bowling ball RB (like 5-5, 190) who I believe was injured all last year who is looking good. I think they should be the No. 2 on the west behind Strongsville, and maybe could push for a playoff spot. The non-conference schedule (Cleveland Heights, Highland and Wadsworth) all should be decent points wise, so they would need to go 2-1. Then handle business against Brunswick, Elyria and Shaker. If they could knock off one of Solon, Euclid or Mentor, that should be enough ... and they did end the year last year by beating Solon.

Euclid wasn't that much better. They were hammering the one corner of Strongsville who was not their starter. Couldn't do much against Strongsville's other corner. Euclid does have one real good receiver and a couple good receivers. They have a smaller QB who can throw it. Don't believe he was the starter. Strongsville has one real good receiver and their QB threw the ball well.

I'm assuming Dre'Von Lindsay was the WR who was killing them. No shame in that, Bowling Green is getting a steal with that kid. ... Though I would be stunned if he ends up there. He is a P5 level player.

I agree that Strongsville will be the class of the west side teams this season and I believe they are a sure playoff team. I do believe Brunswick will be much improved with a large and talented senior class and the return of the QB who started as a sophomore. They have a big O line and some kids who can really run!! Three players who were at one time or another on the 4x100 team that finished fifth in the state. Brunswick has beaten Medina consistently for the last 20 years save one season when Medina had a once in a decade senior group and I see no reason why they shouldn't continue that dominance this year. Elyria looks to be on a down cycle but still have some talented athletes.

I agree that Strongsville will be the class of the west side teams this season and I believe they are a sure playoff team. I do believe Brunswick will be much improved with a large and talented senior class and the return of the QB who started as a sophomore. They have a big O line and some kids who can really run!! Three players who were at one time or another on the 4x100 team that finished fifth in the state. Brunswick has beaten Medina consistently for the last 20 years save one season when Medina had a once in a decade senior group and I see no reason why they shouldn't continue that dominance this year. Elyria looks to be on a down cycle but still have some talented athletes.

Brunswick was impossible to figure out a year ago, which is why I really have no clue what to expect. The offense was pretty mediocre last year, save for the Euclid game in which they scored 54, but gave up 78!! Then Mentor and Strongsville could've both put up 90-100 (Mentor probably could've put up 120). But outside of those three games, it wasn't like Berea-Midpark that seemingly gave up 50-plus every week, they actually seemed to play pretty solid defense. Just a weird season for them, I guess.

It's close between Medina and Brunswick (just like last year's game was down to the wire).

Brunswick was impossible to figure out a year ago, which is why I really have no clue what to expect. The offense was pretty mediocre last year, save for the Euclid game in which they scored 54, but gave up 78!! Then Mentor and Strongsville could've both put up 90-100 (Mentor probably could've put up 120). But outside of those three games, it wasn't like Berea-Midpark that seemingly gave up 50-plus every week, they actually seemed to play pretty solid defense. Just a weird season for them, I guess.

It's close between Medina and Brunswick (just like last year's game was down to the wire).

Completely agree with what you said. I believe the predictability of the schemes last year, both offensively and especially defensively made it tough for Brunswick to compete against the better teams on the schedule. Things look to be improved this season but time will tell. I just believe Brunswick has more talent on both sides of the ball than a Medina this year and the schedule really sets up nicely as well. Most of the top teams will travel to Brunswick this season which is a huge factor in high school football from what I have seen.

As for Elyria they are in the beginning of a couple years slump. Second year coach and tons of new varsity players. What I do know is that they have been working on culture and fundamentals. A district like Elyria is always plagued with inconsistency. However I expect a few upset wins especially against the western GCC teams. The Pioneers have been conference mates with Brunswick Medina and Strongsville for a long time. That familiarity should help them if they can keep games manageable. With a new stadium and increased community interest who knows what will happen.

I agree that Strongsville will be the class of the west side teams this season and I believe they are a sure playoff team. I do believe Brunswick will be much improved with a large and talented senior class and the return of the QB who started as a sophomore. They have a big O line and some kids who can really run!! Three players who were at one time or another on the 4x100 team that finished fifth in the state...

Similar to Strongsville's senior class, Brunswick's senior class is the one many have waited to see get a chance to put it all together. This class performed well as freshman during the first year of the wishbone "Beal-bone" experiment. Then several players earned variety experience their sophomore year. The class experienced a coaching change their junior year (complete off. and def. turnover) which seemingly chose to endure the growing pains by relying on a large but underperforming senior class. Now it's time for this class (and coaches) to complete.

I guess we will know early about Strongsville. First 6 games are tough. If they have to go 3-3 there to have playoff chance, I am not too optimistic.

Strongsville 2018
8/24 7:00 PM H Berea-Midpark
8/31 7:00 PM H Hudson
9/7 7:00 PM A Canton Central Catholic
9/14 7:00 PM A Mentor
9/21 7:00 PM H Solon
9/28 7:00 PM A Euclid
10/5 7:00 PM H Medina
10/13 1:00 PM A Shaker Heights
10/19 7:00 PM A Elyria
10/26 7:00 PM H Brunswick

I guess we will know early about Strongsville. First 6 games are tough. If they have to go 3-3 there to have playoff chance, I am not too optimistic.

Strongsville 2018
8/24 7:00 PM H Berea-Midpark
8/31 7:00 PM H Hudson
9/7 7:00 PM A Canton Central Catholic
9/14 7:00 PM A Mentor
9/21 7:00 PM H Solon
9/28 7:00 PM A Euclid
10/5 7:00 PM H Medina
10/13 1:00 PM A Shaker Heights
10/19 7:00 PM A Elyria
10/26 7:00 PM H Brunswick

The schedule is front loaded, but sets up nicely outside of having to play the two best teams on the schedule (Mentor and Euclid) on the road.

I wouldn't be shocked if they started 3-0. B-M and Hudson are both good, but getting each at home helps. CCC may be improved and it's in Canton, but I can't imagine they have closed the gap from last year (game was 41-0 at the half).

I'm chalking Mentor and Euclid as losses. Solon has had Strongsville's number, but good Strongsville teams (granted they have been few and far between recently) have usually played Solon tough in Strongsville.

The back end plays out perfect as both Medina and Brunswick are also at home.

I think 7-3 is very reasonable and should easily get them in.

Go Bees

Sounds like my alma mater is due for brighter days.

Brunstucky can go suck a lemon. May their downturn last a hundred years.

Go Bees

Sounds like my alma mater is due for brighter days.

Brunstucky can go suck a lemon. May their downturn last a hundred years.

Trust me, Medina will make some noise in both football and basketball in the next couple years. A lot of people (myself included) have been saying that Medina is a sleeping giant for the past 10 years. Its finally coming. The talent and numbers at the MS/freshmenlevel is legit.

It likely won't be this year, or even next, but Medina will shed that country label soon (especially since they are doing a better job of keeping the Union Square area kids in the programs.)

I'm assuming Dre'Von Lindsay was the WR who was killing them. No shame in that, Bowling Green is getting a steal with that kid. ... Though I would be stunned if he ends up there. He is a P5 level player.

I see he has oneoffer, from Bowling Green, but no commit? May not be a take offer..?

Mentor will never be tested, down year for gcc.

1) This thread has nothing to do with Mentor

2) At a minimum, Euclid is very good. They nearly beat Mentor last year and the Panthers bring back more starters than the Cardinals.

3) Strongsville, a team a part of this thread, has every reason to be a test for the top of the GCC. The Mustangs bring back a deep senior class with lots of varsity experience.

Mentor will never be tested, down year for gcc.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you write that "Mentor will never be tested"? They could be 0-2 and 1-3 to start the season. With Brunswick, Medina, Solon, and Euclid still to go. They will definitely be tested.

Brian's posts remind of the old E.F. Hutton stock/financial adds...Except when he speaks/comments...Nobody listens...