Elizabeth Whaley 4:49.11(now 4:39.71 All-Time State & Cincy record @ Regional)

An interesting matchup in the girls mile tomorrow at NBON is that in heat 3 of the mile, Katie Clute of Olmsted Falls is running against Elizabeth Whaley . Clute didn't run the DI 1600m at state after after she ran the 1600m at regional in 4:49.55 to focus on the 3200m at state which she won in 10:28.07.

Last edited:
An interesting matchup in the girls mile tomorrow at NBON is that in heat 3 of the mile, Katie Clute of Olmsted Falls is running against Elizabeth Whaley . Clute didn't run the DI 1600m at state after after she ran the 1600m at regional in 4:49.55 to focus on the 3200m at state which she won in 10:28.07.
Katie's a beast. A real competitor. There are so many great young runners now nationally that it is scary.

Having now watched Katie run on Milesplit @ State, she reminds me of Glen Este Trojan (may the school rest in peace) all-time great Michelle Thomas, the 2010 & 2011 State Div. I 3200m champion. Very similar.

Clute split 4:46.94 on Olmsted Falls' 4th place DMR today(fastest 1600 leg)

First two heats of the girls mile have been run at NBNO in Philadelphia:
Heat 1 - 4:53.69
Heat 2 - 4:49.87

Last edited:
I'm sure many of you know this, but some of the viewers may not, but this was a one mile race. The 1600 conversion foe Whaley is 4:41.82 and for Clute 4:44.91. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this very well could be the fastest dual finish in one race by Ohio girls ever.

Anyone know definitively?

I'm sure many of you know this, but some of the viewers may not, but this was a one mile race. The 1600 conversion foe Whaley is 4:41.82 and for Clute 4:44.91. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this very well could be the fastest dual finish in one race by Ohio girls ever.

Anyone know definitively?
While tremendous, NO, it's not the fastest dual finish. That would belong to...drum roll, please...

Mile (1600 conv)
4:41.22 (4:39.59+) Stephanie Morgan (Barnesville) - Penn Relays - 1st place - 24 April 2008
4:43.31 (4:41.67+) Emily Infeld (Clv. Heights Beaumont) - Penn Relays - 2nd place - 24 April 2008

Also, while in separate divisions, Infeld "beat" Morgan at the 2007 State Champs:
Div. I - Infeld - 1st - 4:41.37 (1600m)
Div. III - Morgan - 1st - 4:45.21 (1600m)

While tremendous, NO, it's not the fastest dual finish. That would belong to...drum roll, please...

Mile (1600 conv)
4:41.22 (4:39.59+) Stephanie Morgan (Barnesville) - Penn Relays - 1st place - 24 April 2008
4:43.31 (4:41.67+) Emily Infeld (Clv. Heights Beaumont) - Penn Relays - 2nd place - 24 April 2008

Also, while in separate divisions, Infeld "beat" Morgan at the 2007 State Champs:
Div. I - Infeld - 1st - 4:41.37 (1600m)
Div. III - Morgan - 1st - 4:45.21 (1600m)

Whaley is entered in the 1500 this weekend in the USATF U20 Track & Field Championships in Eugene, Oregon. 1st Round is on Friday, June 24 with the final on Saturday, June 25. There probably won't be a 1st Round as only ten athletes are qualified and declared and two more accepted and declared. Top two qualify for the USA team to go to Cali, Columbia for the World Athletics U20 Championships August 1-6.

Last edited:
The best high school girl entered in this meet is Ellie Shea who has run a 4:14. 1655745221366.png35 in the 1500 this year in high school at Belmont HS in Massachusetts. Also a freshman from the University of Virginia Mia Barnett entered in the meet has run a 1500 in 4:11.32. I just can't see Whaley running under 4:20 in the 1500.

Last edited:
Current list of sub 4:49 performers/performances for the 1600m (including mile conversions). Updated with National, Federation, Ohio, and OHSAA records.

Attachments

• Ohio All-Time Lists - Women - Combined 1600 meters & Mile - sub-4m49sec.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 19
According to JAVMAN83 files, Marie Kastrup should have the 1500 record from an en-route time on her mile in 1975. My problem with using Kastrup's 1975 time is because her high school didn't have a track team in 1975 and Kastrup was running unattached on her own without her high school having anything to do with what she was doing on her own.

Last edited:
According to JAVMAN83 files, Marie Kastrup should have the 1500 record from an en-route time on her mile in 1975. May problem with using Kastrup's 1975 time is because her high school didn't have a track team in 1975 and Kastrup was running unattached on her own without her high school having anything to do with what she was doing on her own.
In this case, i.e. - inclusion on the SWOTCCCA lists, you might just be correct. SWOTCCCA inclusion is more restrictive than would be a standard Ohio list of HS performances. Of course, many high schools didn't have girls track teams back in '75, despite that being the first year of the girls' state track meet. However, I can point to a few girls that have been part of SWOTCCCA all-time lists that took place prior to 1975. Girls' track and field for some schools within SWOTCCCA does go back as early as the mid-to-late 1920s, and the old MVL (Milcreek Valley League) did contest their own girls' league meet.

I would respect a decision of non-inclusion of Kastrup's mark as the 1500m record for SWOTCCCA, but I would definitely put a notation with regard to Kastrup's mark definitely being an eligible athlete to compete for her school in 1975. Several of the GGCL schools did not field girls' track & field till as late as 1981!

Kastrup is included on mine and the late Craig Whitmore's lists.

Here is the membership eligibility criterium which precludes Kastrup from being included as stated on the SWOTCCCA web site

"The athlete must have competed for a recognized OHSAA scholastic team during the season said mark was made."

Here is the membership eligibility criterium which precludes Kastrup from being included as stated on the SWOTCCCA web site

"The athlete must have competed for a recognized OHSAA scholastic team during the season said mark was made."
So, her 1976 spring & summer seasons (her senior year) would be included, just not before then given MND didn't have a team.

Back to the subject of all-time 1600m lists and how Ms. Whaley has had arguably the best overall 1600m/mile season in Ohio HS history.

As I've stated awhile back on this forum, my goal is to initially have a top 30 listing per event indoors, and top 50 outdoors for each event. To accomplish that, I have to gather a whole lot of data that will be outside those parameters in order to weed it down. So, for example, I'm loading ALL the sub-5:00 1600m runners in Ohio girls' history. Yes, ALL. I just finished with all the sub-5:00 girls prior to 2000. So, for the mid-distance to distance enthusiasts, you'll be glad to learn that a field event-loving guy like me is just as passionate about compiling the same quality lists for events that are not my passion. I'm also loading all the sub-4:55 performances.

In looking at the 3200m list, the cut-off will most likely be sub-10:50 with sub-10:35 performances. The 800m will probably be cut-off at sub-2:12 or sub-2:12.5. Sub-2:10 for performances.

UPDATE: Very likely that it will take 4:55 or better to make the top 50 performer list in the 1600m, and over 100 sub-5:00.

Last edited:
Ms. Whaley just destroyed the Cincinnati area record with her 4:23.00 3rd place finish at the USATF Juniors earlier this evening. This time also moves her to #2 all-time in Ohio for 1500m according to my growing list, second only behind the 4:21.52 by Stephanie Morgan back at same meet in 2008. Morgan also placed 3rd in the USATF Juniors the same year.

I saw a picture of Elizabeth holding up an American flag with a happy look on her face. I'm assuming she made the USATF U20 team for World Athletics U20 meet in Cali, Colombia the first week in August, so she may have another shot at Morgan's Ohio record

Ms. Whaley running third at USATF U20 1500m, a place she would ultimately finish in 4:23.00. Photo onsite by Bob Roncker
1656269962673.jpeg

Last edited:
Ms. Whaley did indeed represent Wake Forest at the USATF U20 meet including wearing the uniform even though she is not yet enrolled in school. Her holding the flag shows she is going with Team USA to the World Athletics U20 meet in Colombia in Augest. She was at the meet with her future coach at Wake Forest not her high school coach. I seriously doubt she will get to run in the August meet as she is going as an Alternate unlike the Senior meet only the top two qulified. She may have been the only 17 year old running in the 1500 in Oregon.
1656432221884.jpeg

Wonderful picture of Ms. Whaley @ Eugene. I hope, by some minor miracle, she's able to run at that meet, and a few in between to continue her outstanding senior season.