Elizabeth Whaley 4:49.11(now 4:39.71 All-Time State & Cincy record @ Regional)

Has there been any 800 with 4 runners under 2:10 before? DI only had 1 such runner today.
2019 State Meet DI girls 800 had 4 under 2:10. That year's 4x8 also had 4 teams under 9:00. If you look at the few years prior to 2019, you'll see that the 800 and subsequently the 4x800 were trending in that direction for DI. It might take a few years to get back to that level and surpass it. Not only did 2020 interrupt the development of kids who are HS upperclassmen now, but it also delayed the entry into the sport of the younger HS kids who would've been in junior high at the time.

Last edited:
I think ESPN990's curiosity calls for a small project similar to what Track & Field News has updated for a number of years: The best mark for place compilation per event. For us, it would have to be an Ohio-only HS track & field meet competion compilation. Best marks for win, 2nd-8th places.

Anyone ever successfully complete the 400-800 double at state as Fortman just did? Incredible race all around. My county record just got broken and only placed 4th in that race, and my county is not bad at this sport.
Susan Nash (Zanesville Rosecrans) won the 400-800 double in 1982, 1983, and 1984. She also won the 400 as a freshman and finished 2nd in the 800, losing by 0.21 seconds.

Incredibly, winning the 400-800 double three times in a row is just the tip of the iceberg for Susan Nash’s high school athletic accomplishments.

DESPITE a major-league stumble & FALL at the top of turn 1 on the final lap. Had about a 3-4 second gap on Hartman at that point, but was able to get up again and keep the lead. Way to go Ms. Whaley.
Are you absolutely cetain she fell. I was at the meet and never saw it At the end of lap 3, she was 2.89 seconds ahead and finished 3.34 seconds ahead.

Last edited:
Just a terrific 800. Alexa Fortman of Glandorf breaks DII state record in 1st(2;08.60), with Whaley right on her heels, also under old state record. As usual Whaley took them out at a brutal pace(62.22), which made that record happen.

With Whaley's combination of 400 speed and 1600 strength I'd love to see her run a fresh 800. I'm thinking 2:06(at least).
There they are almost at the finish line with the 0.22 second between them
1654455206199.jpeg

Photo Bob Heim for SWOTCCCA

Last edited:
Are you absolutely cetain she fell. I was at the meet and never saw it At the end of lap 3, she was 2.89 seconds ahead and finished 3.34 seconds ahead.
She fell on the back half of the top curve near the PV area. Hartman did an interview on the video feed after the meet and expressed some regret for not putting in a surge right then to close the gap to Whaley. Whaley got up quickly, kept her wits about her, and got back up to speed.

Last edited:
I sent an email to Indian Hill's coach, Susan Savage, and she confirmed it. Thanks for the reply. What a gutsy kid! In spite of the fall, she still set the state meet record, Unbelievable

Has there been any 800 with 4 runners under 2:10 before? DI only had 1 such runner today.

2019 State Meet DI girls 800 had 4 under 2:10. That year's 4x8 also had 4 teams under 9:00. If you look at the few years prior to 2019, you'll see that the 800 and subsequently the 4x800 were trending in that direction for DI. It might take a few years to get back to that level and surpass it. Not only did 2020 interrupt the development of kids who are HS upperclassmen now, but it also delayed the entry into the sport of the younger HS kids who would've been in junior high at the time.
Thank you. I was present at the Fitch Regional ('16 maybe) when Brittany Aveni set the all-time all-divisions record in the low 2:07's. If memory serves, 2nd was also under 2:08. Might be wrong. I love the 800. I had the privilege of being in the 10th row at the London Olympics to witness the fastest 800 of all time. It seems that's a distance where a super fast pacesetter, like Rudisha, can pull the others along. It seems runners can tough it out through thresholds of pain to times they couldn't have believed themselves. It's just both a long enough and short enough distance where this can happen. Just my observation, and perhaps it's true of any and all distances. Just seems that way to me.

Just a terrific 800. Alexa Fortman of Glandorf breaks DII state record in 1st(2;08.60), with Whaley right on her heels, also under old state record. As usual Whaley took them out at a brutal pace(62.22), which made that record happen.

With Whaley's combination of 400 speed and 1600 strength I'd love to see her run a fresh 800. I'm thinking 2:06(at least).
Fortman can go 55 in the 400. I doubt Whaley can go that fast

Whaley takes the state championship in 4:43.31, breaking Sammy Bockoven's DII state meet record of 4:49.53 from 2014.

Looking forward to that 800 with Jaylee Wingate(she was 3rd in 1600, also under Bockoven's old record)
Jaylee Wingate remains for me one of the more intriguing stories of the mid-distance weekend. As I expected, the junior gave it a great effort in the 1,600 while fairly unheralded statewide, dipping into the 4:48s from a 4:54 PR, and closing hard on Hartman. A little more real estate, and she might have gotten 2nd. That's 5:19 to 4:48 in less than three months. Can she be next year's Whaley? Will she plateau. A lovely, sweet girl, but a nasty competitor. We spoke afterward, and she was not at all happy with 3rd or 4:48. I'm used to the great ones - Bizzari, the Infelds, Franek, Ewert, Morgan, Neczypor - being sweethearts. Jaylee scares me. I hope she stays healthy.

Elizabeth should go to AON in Greensboro and run the mile. It's at 2:20 on Friday June 17th. It's about a 7½ hour drive to Greensboro.
CJ Robinson mile record would be at stake. It is 4:48.3. Javman has been clamoring for her to run the mile, lane4 wants her to run an 800 without running the 1600 the same day. The 800 is at 10:10 on Sunday. This would accomplish both

Last edited:
No contact. I think her left toe may have stubbed the inside rail. Not sure, but clearly no interference by anyone.
Alex Phillip of John Carroll (Akron St. V grad, BTW) did something similar during the D3 10,000 last weekend. While holding a commanding lead with a few laps remaining, he stepped on the rail with his right foot coming off 1 of the curves and fell into the infield. It wasn't clear if he was distracted by the runner he was about to lap or if he took a look across the track to locate the chase pack and lost his bearings. Regardless, he was able to get up quickly and continue but narrowly held off his hard-charging teammate for the win. He was DQed in the initial results for going off the track but was later reinstated as the winner. Unfortunately, he sprained his ankle when he stepped on the rail which adversely affected him in the 5000 and thwarted his chances of sweeping the D3 distance quint (XC, 3k and 5k indoors, 5k and 10k outdoors).

Last edited:
Alex Phillip of John Carroll (Akron St. V grad, BTW) did something similar during the D3 10,000 last weekend. While holding a commanding lead with a few laps remaining, he stepped on the rail with his right foot coming off 1 of the curves and fell into the infield. It wasn't clear if he was distracted by the runner he was coming up on to lap or if he took a look across the track to see where the chase pack and lost his bearings. Regardless, he was able to get up quickly and continue but narrowly held off his hard-charging teammate for the win. He was DQed in the initial results but later reinstated as the winner. Unfortunately, he sprained his ankle when he stepped on the rail which adversely affected him in the 5000 and thwarted his chances of sweeping the D3 distance quint (XC, 3k and 5k indoors, 5k and 10k outdoors).
John Carroll's Jamie Dailey of Bay was second in the 10,000 to Alex. Jamie won the 5000 meter race two days later. Two guys from the D2 Boardman Regional winning D3 NCAA titles.

John Carroll's Jamie Dailey of Bay was second in the 10,000 to Alex. Jamie won the 5000 meter race two days later. Two guys from the D2 Boardman Regional winning D3 NCAA titles.
While I'm aware of Dailey's win and his HS background, the point of my post was to highlight that Whaley basically did the same thing in her 1600 that Phillip did in his 10k by stepping on the rail and falling. Both were lucky to not be injured more severely.

To appeal to the Cincy posters here, I will at least mention that Dailey is transferring to UC.

Elizabeth is running the mile at the New Balance Outdoor Nationals on Sunday, June 19 at 11:30 a.m. in Philadelphia. This is confirmed.
She mentioned on my show today that she is running at the USATF Championships at Hayward Field the next week.

She mentioned on my show today that she is running at the USATF Championships at Hayward Field the next week.
To clarify Whaley is running the USATF Junior Champs 1500, which is scheduled for 6/24(prelims) & 6/25(final)

The Ohio record of 4:21.52 is held by Stephanie Morgan of Barnesville set at the USATF Junior Champs in 2008 where she was 3rd

The Cincinnati City Record in the 1500m is held by Annie Heffernan 4:35.15 set at the New Balance Outdoor Nationals on June 21, 2015
4:34.15 was Heffernan's en-route split at the 2015 NBNO 1 mile race.

Craig Whitmore does report a 4:33.1 for Marie Kastrup (Mt. Notre Dame/Kettering Striders), however, from 1975. I'm working to track that one down.

Update: I do now have a 4:33.7 for Kastrup from the AAU Women's Jr. Championships from 1975. More details to follow. Kastrup would've been a HS junior that year.

Last edited: