Elizabeth Whaley 4:49.11(now 4:39.71 All-Time State & Cincy record @ Regional)

Sounds like Mason has been cancelled. That's unfortunate - would have been a great night for distance running if they caught a break in the weather.

Next(first) meeting for Whaley and Hartman will be the OHSAA DII Regional.
That's too bad the meet was cancelled, I was really interested to see how Monesmith ran since it's unlikely she'll run against those two again.

Bizzarri won DI individual race while Thompson won DII race in 2002 both as freshmen
Taylor girls team picture is here. That was a blowout win - Taylor 63, CVCA 151
I’ll never forget the first time Thompson and Bizzari faced off. Bizzari was in middle school in Indiana and both girls had already established a rep as 8th graders. It was the Harrison MS invitational. Thompson edged out Bizzari in an epic 1600 battle. And in the next race my son broke Taylor’s MS 1600 record. ?

I’ll never forget the first time Thompson and Bizzari faced off. Bizzari was in middle school in Indiana and both girls had already established a rep as 8th graders. It was the Harrison MS invitational. Thompson edged out Bizzari in an epic 1600 battle. And in the next race my son broke Taylor’s MS 1600 record. ?
I remember watching a lot of those Taylor kids run in MS, while I was coaching at Walnut Hills, before moving to Columbus, and thinking that when they got to HS with the girls already running for Taylor that they would be really tough to beat. I think it was 2000 when I remember going to to the (new) Taylor XC invitational and they already had some good young athletes.

Exceptional work by Whaley at the CHL championships last night, time trialing to fast wins in the 1600(4:47.31) and 800(2:14.41). Presumably she was also on Indian Hills' 4:10 4x400 and 9:47 4x800

I did not perceive my comment to be denigrating. However, I will take your comment under advisement and will attempt to be more discerning. My apologies.
In your reply to another poster, regarding the All-Time record for 1600/mile for Ohio girls….I did not think your comment was negative in any way. You were just stating facts. It didn’t take anything away from anyone’s performance. I, for one, appreciate your insights, especially when it comes to Ohio history and statistics.

Sounds like Mason has been cancelled. That's unfortunate - would have been a great night for distance running if they caught a break in the weather.

Next(first) meeting for Whaley and Hartman will be the OHSAA DII Regional.

Hartman ran 4:49.90 at the Piqua district meet on May 21
Whaley ran 4:42.85 at the New Richmond district meet on May 21
Regional Division II meet record holder is Connie Robinson at 4:52.23 set in 1982 at Dayton's Welcome stadium, the first year that track was in meters
Division II Girls State Record is 4:47.73 set by Grace Hartman last year.
Showdown is Saturday, May 28 at the Division II Regional finals at Piqua, meet start time is listed at 1:30

Last edited:
Not only is the 1600m girls record the oldest at the DII regional meet at 40 years (1982) but the second oldest girls record at 39 years could also go, The 800m record goes back to 1983. It is 2:12.17 set by Kristi Grooms. Elizabeth Whaley is doubling in the 1600-800. When she doubled at the district meet, her 800m time was 2:12.87 knocking on the door of the regional record time.

After going deep against Hartman in the 1600, possibly sub-4:40, running a near-PR in the 800 afterwards may be a tough ask. Fortunately it's not going to be hot Saturday.

Not only is the 1600m girls record the oldest at the DII regional meet at 40 years (1982) but the second oldest girls record at 39 years could also go, The 800m record goes back to 1983. It is 2:12.17 set by Kristi Grooms. Elizabeth Whaley is doubling in the 1600-800. When she doubled at the district meet, her 800m time was 2:12.87 knocking on the door of the regional record time.

Alexa Fortman (Ottawa Glandorf) has a best time this season of 2:11.21 in the 800 and will be going head to head with Elizabeth Whaley (season best 2:11.34) at Piqua this Saturday. Will be a fantastic race and I wish I could be there to see it. Alexa is doing the 400/800 double in addition to anchoring her schools 4 x 200 and 4 x 400.

Looking ahead to next Saturday it's shaping up to be another beaut - dry, with temps in the mid-70's. Can Whaley add the 800 city(2:09.00) and DII state(2:08.91) records to her collection?

WUNDERBAR!!!!!!!!! The longest standing Region 8 records go down. CJ Robinson & Kristi Grooms now pass the torch! FASTEST 1600m in Ohio HISTORY!!! Now the MILE RECORD!!!

Way to go, Ms. Whaley & Ms. Hartman!

Why should Elizabeth care about the mile? The OHSAA eliminated the mile as an event in their competitions some 42 years ago.
Because she'll never run the 1600m again after next weekend. Only the 1500m or the mile. The 1600m/3200m runs are a bastardized event created by NFHS. Just my opinion...supported by many others.

Because she'll never run the 1600m again after next weekend. Only the 1500m or the mile. The 1600m/3200m runs are a bastardized event created by NFHS. Just my opinion...supported by many others.
Agreed. I wish we did 1500/3000 or 1 Mile/2 Mile in the USA. Although I do recognize the simplicity of the 1600/3200. Still.

We use a 400m track. What could be more logical than a 1600 or 3200? Should we be running a 750m instead of the 800m?

We use a 400m track. What could be more logical than a 1600 or 3200? Should we be running a 750m instead of the 800m?
I understand the logic (I am an engineer). However, NFHS is the ONLY place in the world where the 16/32 are utilized. Sorry, I favor either the 1500m or the mile.

I was once told bye somebody familiar with a famous Cincinnati-area coach years ago that when the conversion from yards to meters took place in 1980 that the coach thought it was an international Communist conspiracy. I believe it was said in jest, but knowing that particular coach as I did, it wouldn't have surprised me to hear that from him. :p

I debated going to this meet but had a hunch something big was in the works. In my 55 years involved with OHSAA track & Field ever since my days running the 440y and 880y runs in 1967, I saw the greatest female performance ever in the history of OHSAA going back to 1908 when the first championship was run. This year will be the 114th running of the OHSAA championships.This is why the performances done by Elizabeth Whaley were performances for the ages with a whole bevy of records to prove it. Let’s start with our city record set by Turpin’s Samantha Bush on May 24, 2019 at 4:47.23. Elizabeth not only beat the record. She obliterated it with her stunning 4:39.71, some 8½ better. Samantha is now at North Carolina State where she was a scorer on their NCAA national championship cross country team.

The next record was the DII all time record held by Oakwood’s Grace Hartman of 4:47.73 only set last year at Grace’s district meet. The unique thing here is that Hartman was in this year’s regional meet to defend her record should the upstart Whaley try to take it away from her. Some expected a battle royale for supremacy in this year’s race with both becoming the first females to go under that magical 4:40 time which had never been done before. This never developed as Elizabeth took a substantial lead on the first lap and maintained it throughout the race winning by a mind boggling almost 7 seconds over Grace’s time what would have broken a 40 year meet record and also Grace all time DII record. Unfortunately for Grace she couldn’t lay claim to either record because Elizabeth ran an astounding 4:39.71. Elizabeth was saying to Hartman, “Catch me if you can”. Well Grace couldn’t and she lost the meet record and her own DII all time state record with the finish timing results showing how she also broke both records. http://live.finishtiming.com/meets/454964/events/9/Final

On the finishtiming results, you can see that Connie Jo Rebinson is listed with the oldest meet record on the books for the DII, R8 regional meet (40 years going back to 1982) at 4:52.23. Has anyone ever heard of a 40 year record being broken by 15½ seconds? Unbelievable! Connie Jo is a legendary female runner in Cincinnati inducted in the Greater Cincinnati Running Hall of Fame, She went on to star at NC State. Connie won the Kinney Shoe National High School Cross Country Championship in 1981 when she was a senior at Reading high school.

When it came time for Elizabeth’s second race of the day, the 800m run, few track aficionados believed she could take down the second oldest R8 record dating back to 1983 held by Kristi Grooms at 2:12.17 Elizabeth would do it and by almost two seconds some 50 minutes after her 1600m race performances to complete her day on the most amazing performances ever by a high school female track athlete.

Last edited:
I debated going to this meet but had a hunch something big was in the works. In my 55 years involved with OHSAA track & Field ever since my days running the 440y and 880y runs in 1967, I saw the greatest female performance ever in the history of OHSAA going back to 1908 when the first championship was run. This year will be the 114th running of the OHSAA championships.This is why the performances done by Elizabeth Whaley were performances for the ages with a whole bevy of records to prove it. Let’s start with our city record set by Turpin’s Samantha Bush on May 24, 2019 at 4:47.23. Elizabeth not only beat the record. She obliterated it with her stunning 4:39.71, some 8½ better. Samantha is now at North Carolina State where she was a scorer on their NCAA national championship cross country team.

The next record was the DII all time record held by Oakwood’s Grace Hartman of 4:47.73 only set last year at Grace’s district meet. The unique thing here is that Hartman was in this year’s regional meet to defend her record should the upstart Whaley try to take it away from her. Some expected a battle royale for supremacy in this year’s race with both becoming the first females to go under that magical 4:40 time which had never been done before. This never developed as Elizabeth took a substantial lead on the first lap and maintained it throughout the race winning by a mind boggling almost 7 seconds over Grace’s time what would have broken a 40 year meet record and also Grace all time DII record. Unfortunately for Grace she couldn’t lay claim to either record because Elizabeth ran an astounding 4:39.71. Elizabeth was saying to Hartman, “Catch me if you can”. Well Grace couldn’t and she lost the meet record and her own DII all time state record with the finish timing results showing how she also broke both records. http://live.finishtiming.com/meets/454964/events/9/Final

On the finishtiming results, you can see that Connie Jo Rebinson is listed with the oldest meet record on the books for the DII, R8 regional meet (40 years going back to 1982) at 4:52.23. Has anyone ever heard of a 40 year record being broken by 15½ seconds? Unbelievable! Connie Jo is a legendary female runner in Cincinnati inducted in the Greater Cincinnati Running Hall of Fame, She went on to star at NC State. Connie won the Kinney Shoe National High School Cross Country Championship in 1981 when she was a senior at Reading high school.

When it came time for Elizabeth’s second race of the day, the 800m run, few track aficionados believed she could take down the second oldest R8 record dating back to 1983 held by Kristi Grooms at 2:12.17. Elizabeth would do it and by almost two seconds to complete her day on the most amazing performances ever by a high female track athlete. This race with Alexa Fortman was closer than the 1600m race
Rebison: NC State
Bush: NC State
Hartman: NC State

Whaley: Wake Forest, also in NC and conference rivals with NC State.

Not only did Whaley take down the DII all time record but she also bettered the DI all time record held by Emily Infield at 4:41.37 making Elizabeth the all time all division record holder. Emily Infield is now a professional runner who on Friday night finished 4th 10,000 meters at the Prefontaine Classic which was used as a qualifier for the World Championships. Oh my, Elizabeth is in elite company.

Last edited:
Not only did Whaley take down the DII all time record but she also bettered the DI all time record held by Emily Infield at 4:41.37 making Elizabeth the all time all division record holder. Emily Infield is now a professional runner who on Friday night finished 4th 10,000 meters at the Prefontaine Classic which was used as a qualifier for the World Championships. Oh my, Elizabeth is in elite company.
Whaley had herself a day, indeed! Saturday's DII distance races should be historical, especially the 1,600. Last I looked the weather forecast is not too hot.

I can't help put flash back to Bridget Franek's performance in 2006, winning all 3 races: 1,600; 800; and 3,200. While intentionally conserving energy in the 1,600 and 800, she won in a solid 4:56 and then DII record 2:11. She then set another record in the 3,200 in 10:43. I'm guessing future Olympian Bridget had a much faster 1,600 in her if she had needed it or wanted it.

It seems to me that all "greatest day ever" conversations should at least include the name Bridget Franek. I'll never forget the crowd rising to its feet as she passed them down her final home stretch, sort of doing "the wave" as a personal tribute. They recognized greatness when they saw it.

Whaley had herself a day, indeed! Saturday's DII distance races should be historical, especially the 1,600. Last I looked the weather forecast is not too hot.

I can't help put flash back to Bridget Franek's performance in 2006, winning all 3 races: 1,600; 800; and 3,200. While intentionally conserving energy in the 1,600 and 800, she won in a solid 4:56 and then DII record 2:11. She then set another record in the 3,200 in 10:43. I'm guessing future Olympian Bridget had a much faster 1,600 in her if she had needed it or wanted it.

It seems to me that all "greatest day ever" conversations should at least include the name Bridget Franek. I'll never forget the crowd rising to its feet as she passed them down her final home stretch, sort of doing "the wave" as a personal tribute. They recognized greatness when they saw it.
I'll always think of Bridget when "greatest day ever" is mentioned as well. Don't forget she also ran on the winning 4x800 relay the day before.