Elida DIV District

mmhayes99

#1 Columbus Grove vs. #5 Lincolnview - Grove wins this one. Just played not long ago and I believe it was a 20-25 point win for the Dawgs. They are healthy and clicking on all cylinders right now. Will be a tough out!

#2 Ottoville vs. #3 Crestview - This one has potential to be another classic. Ottoville beat Crestview on a last second shot in OT back in January. Should be a great game, will take Crestview in a close one.

Thoughts?

Going to be great games I hope. I have Grove winning by single digits. Just have a feeling Lincolnview will put a better game together for this one.

I believe Ottoville will win this one close too. Clicking on all cylinders like Grove and a healthy Suever goes a long way for them. Going to be two great ones and the D4 Regionals for this area in Van Wert are going to be great too.

Managed to catch the second half of the first game on a YouTube stream on Elida's channel. Lincolnview had a serious chance to win tonight. Getting too sloppy with the ball at times and missing a couple shots at the rim in traffic late quelled the upset bid.

Lincolnview played really well last night and definitely had a shot to knock of CG. Kudos to Grove for finding a way to win that one. They did not shoot the ball well but still found a way.

Ottoville from my opinion just looked like they wanted it more last night. They were more physical, more aggressive and played really good defense that the guards from Crestview struggled with.

I look for a great game Friday night, with Grove winning another close one.

Lincolnview played really well last night and definitely had a shot to knock of CG. Kudos to Grove for finding a way to win that one. They did not shoot the ball well but still found a way.

Ottoville from my opinion just looked like they wanted it more last night. They were more physical, more aggressive and played really good defense that the guards from Crestview struggled with.

I look for a great game Friday night, with Grove winning another close one.

Absolutely agree. Of the 4 teams playing last night at Elida, Ottoville had the most energy, intensity, and aggressiveness by far. Very impressive. In Grove's game, I could not handle how often they just walked the ball up the floor and then stood around the volleyball line doing nothing on offense. They were down 7-0 halfway through the 1st quarter until they figured out that when they push the ball and use their athleticism they scored at ease. When they played with a sense of urgency and were aggressive, that's when they scored whenever they wanted to. Which is why I thought it was crazy how often they stood around and did nothing on offense.

To me, stopping Grove's offense is simple if they're going to try to play slow like they did last night. You have to double Reynolds the second he touches the ball & make the other players beat you. Reynolds gets the ball in the high or low post, he's going to do the same thing every time. He's squaring up, taking you to the basket and trying to get to the foul line. As soon as he touches the ball there needs to be a second guy there to prevent him from getting to the basket. Force him to get the ball out of his hands and make Birnesser, Clement, & Sautter beat you. I think Ottoville has a good enough perimeter defense with Miller, Langhals, Schlagbaum, & Manns to handle that.

Columbus Grove advances to the regional at Van Wert. CG wins 61-48, though that score was not indicative of how competitive of a game this was. It was close until the last minute or so where Grove when 10-10 from the foul line after Ottoville was forced to foul. Ottoville led at half 29-24 behind 19 first half points by Josh Thorbahn. Great move by the Grove coach as they came out in the 2nd half and face guarded Thorbahn for 84 feet and limited him to 8 points in the 2nd half. The bulldogs shot 75% in the 2nd half and out-rebounded OV 30-8 for the game. CG- Carey will play Tuesday night in a regional semi at Van Wert. 2 great teams and numerous great players on the floor tonight. 17 points by Reynolds and Clement for CG and 14 for Birnesser. Ryan Suever was the only other player for the Big Green in double figures with 10.

The 2nd half of this game was some of the finest basketball that Grove has played since the season was cut short last year. They played as a team and played shutdown defensive basketball. They also had outstanding rebounding on both ends of the floor.
The games at the regionals should be very good basketball as all 4 teams are very capable of winning this region IMO.

It real shame that Ottoville and Cols.Grove had to be in same district,I think Ottoville were in the other districts,they would probably be heading to Dayton in a few weeks also