Elder Wrestling 2020-2021

JasonRoush

As we look forward to (and pray for) a 2020-2021 wrestling season, I figured that I'd get the annual thread started with a couple of important announcements. After nearly 40 years of helping coach (32 at the high school level), "Mighty" Mike Masminster has announced his retirement. Coach Mike has been my right hand man for the last 7 seasons and I think I can speak for Coach McCoy and assure you that he served that same role for MANY years for him as well. Mike has been the assistant coach that any head coach would be lucky to have. Elder HS and Elder Wrestling have been blessed to have such a committed and devoted coach for all these years. We wish Mike the best and thank him for his service to Elder and the Elder Wrestling program!

With Mike's permission, I'm sharing his retirement message that was sent to current and past Elder Wrestling coaches...

"After several weeks of soul searching, I’m making a tough and heart wrenching decision that deeply saddens me – I’ve decided to end my coaching career. I started my coaching career in 1981 with the Kids’ program, Junior High in 1986 and the High School 1988/1989 season giving 100% dedication to the kids and the Elder Wrestling program. Thirty-two years has been a great run at the High School level. I’ve literally devoted over ½ my life to Elder High School and that’s with no regrets whatsoever. Truly not sure what path I would have taken in life but I know in my heart Elder Wrestling kept me on the right path (thank you Dave Dabbelt) and I’m blessed for that. I’m grateful to have coached with all of you (including Coach McCoy), you guys are the best. I feel privileged to have been part of the Elder Wrestling tradition & Elder High School for so many years but It’s time for me to shift my commitments. You know as well as I that the wrestling season is long and brutal and to be successful you must be committed. I like to think that’s what I was, but all good things must come to an end. It’s time to give back the remaining time of my life to my wife and family (no I’m not dying). The commitment I’ve given for so many years between my full time job with P&G, my cemetery responsibilities and coaching has just worn on me and I want to end my career on a good note, minus this damn corona pandemic. I have no idea how I’ll feel when wrestling season rolls around next year but I wish the program the best and I wish the staff the best. The program is in good hands with you guys and I have all the faith in the world you guys will take it to the next level. I just want to let you guys know I had the best of times coaching with all of you (including coach McCoy) and I will always be there for you, if you need anything, reach out."

As much as we will miss Coach Mike, we have filled his position and we are excited to welcome Chad Craft to the coaching staff this season. Chad was a high school state placer at New Lebanon Dixie HS and had a great collegiate wrestling career at Mount St. Joseph University. Chad served as the Head Coach at Little Miami HS for 4 years where he was voted the 2018 Southwest Ohio Division I Coach of the Year. Chad has spent the last two seasons serving as the Head Coach at Lakota East HS where he led his team to a Sectional Title and had two individual state qualifiers this past season.

Join me in congratulating/thanking Coach Mike Masminster as well as welcoming Coach Craft to Elder! Go Panthers!

Coach Mike, congrats on your retirement from coaching and I’m glad you will be able to spend more time with your family. When I started going to Panther wrestling meets on a regular basis a few years ago, I’m 99 and 44/100% sure that it was you who came up to me after I had been to a few meets and asked me if I was Pantherontheporch. After that, whenever I was at a meet you always took the time to say hello and talk about not only the team and upcoming matches that night (or the results if we talked afterward) but also other things, like our memories of working for the same boss when we delivered the old Cincy Post afternoon newspaper.
Thanks for all your insights and all you’ve done for the team all these years.
And Coach Craft, glad to have you aboard!

I want to reiterate Coach Roush's sentiment. Coach "MIghty" Mike Masminster was one of the Best Asst Coaches anyone could ever have on their staff. He was my Right Hand Man. None of our success would have been possible without a guy like him. Congrats on your retirement and enjoy those grandkids.

Coach McCoy

This is sad news for high school wrestling in general. I realize that OHSAA made this decision based sole on financials (the tourney loses money each year) but dual meets are what make this sport great IMO. Especially this season with the Individual tournament format in question. I know it says "suspended" but this event will NEVER come back as a sanctioned OHSAA sponsored tourney, once again IMO. I was on the Ohio Wrestling Coaches Board that got this thing going and it was a tough sell, after a few years of them (OHSAA) running it, they did not like how things went (financial). Sad, sad day.

This is sad news for high school wrestling in general. I realize that OHSAA made this decision based sole on financials (the tourney loses money each year) but dual meets are what make this sport great IMO. Especially this season with the Individual tournament format in question. I know it says "suspended" but this event will NEVER come back as a sanctioned OHSAA sponsored tourney, once again IMO. I was on the Ohio Wrestling Coaches Board that got this thing going and it was a tough sell, after a few years of them (OHSAA) running it, they did not like how things went (financial). Sad, sad day.
What makes the financial side of this so difficult compared to the individual tournament? Would it make more sense in a smaller arena?

With the cancellation of “The Iron Tournament “ I wonder how many others will follow ? Little clarity under the Ohio Health order / OHSAA for competitions. Will wrestling be done with no tournaments or I’ll say mass competitions ? Will the State Tournament, sectionals through State be held on multiple days so the risk of spread is limited ? Now Canceling the above mentioned tournament maybe different because that brought kids from all over the country . Does Ohio allow all wrestling with in Ohio and with only Ohio residing schools to compete ? Curious when OHSAA will have an answer. Because putting together a schedule is a task in itself let alone starting from scratch if have too ?

Unfortunately, I have some sad news to report. I found out last night that Dave Shuler, Jr., 66, passed away last Friday morning. He was Elder’s – and the entire GCL’s – first state wrestling champion, winning the 1973 155 pound title. He took the championship match by the score of 11-0. Here is his obituary and its link:

David L. Shuler, Jr, 66, passed away early Friday morning, Sept 25th peacefully in his home. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio. He was Elder High School’s first state champion in wrestling, graduating in 1973, and went on to wrestle for University of Cincinnati via scholarship in 1975-76. He was also a black belt in judo and tae kwon do, along with a bodybuilder earlier in his life. He worked for, and retired from, St. Elizabeth Hospital in Edgewood, Kentucky successfully operating and maintaining the power plant.
He was an avid fisherman, hunter, handyman, and much more. He passed on a lot of that knowledge to his sons, grandsons, and other family members and friends. He was the type of person that if you treated him good, he treated you better. If you ever came over for a meal, you could expect to get your fill, and then some. If he ever considered you a close friend, you could be considered a friend for life. He took pride in his house, home, and farm, building and fixing most by hand. David L. Shuler, Jr was a simple man who is simply being laid to rest. He wasn't one fancy flair, just function.
He is survived by his wife Lois Shuler (Woodward), mother, Shirley Keller (Bonomini), brother Vince Shuler, son David J. Shuler (wife Marisol), daughter Laura Shuler (husband Ahmed), grandsons Korben, Carson, and Aiden Shuler, and many more extended family members.
A private celebration of his life and memory will be held at his residence and be put on by his family and close friends. A very special thanks to Jeremy Woodward and all other medical personnel that were on the scene that night.
For inquires about donations or contributions made in his name, please send an email to djshuler@hotmail.com

RIP, Dave.

I had the good fortune to watch Dave wrestle for Elder. To say he was dominate is an understatement. He was quiet, disciplined and a force.

I remember one match when the St. X wrestler, who was a highly ranked wrestler, mouthed off how he was going to beat Dave at the match at St. X. As was Dave's style he did not reply or respond to the brag.

When the match started Dave shot his legs for the take down. They were on the edge of the mat. Dave took the St. X wrestler, drug him by his legs to the center of the mat, and pinned him on the St. X logo. It took 30-40 seconds. He was dominant. And he never said a word.

Last edited:
I was in high school wrestling at the same time Dave Schuler was, as CincyHSfootball stated above, he was dominante. And he was also a quiet and extremely nice individual. When I started as the Elder Head Coach in 1982 I had the pleasure of Dave coming to our practices for about the first 6/7 years I coached. He helped our upper weights and competed against them whenever he was able to come to our practices. He was a great guy, who studied the sport. His success was something he earned because of hard work and dedication. I wasn't a close friend of his but whenever we got together (practice, Elder Wrestling reunions) we had great conversations about Elder and wrestling. He is gone WAAAAAAY too young. Outstanding individual!!

Coach McCoy

Yesterday the Southwest Ohio Wrestling Coaches Association announced that this year’s Glenn Sample Coaches Classic tournament, originally scheduled for December 19-20, has been canceled. They expect the tournament will return next December.

Yesterday the Southwest Ohio Wrestling Coaches Association announced that this year’s Glenn Sample Coaches Classic tournament, originally scheduled for December 19-20, has been canceled. They expect the tournament will return next December.

Bummer. How long has this Tournament been around?

Bummer. How long has this Tournament been around?
I believe it started out as the University of Cincinnati Invitational. The ’70 Elderado shows that the Panthers finished fourth out of 16 teams; neither the ’68 nor the ’69 Elderado mentions the Panthers wrestling at the U.C. Invitational. Of course, it's possible that the tournament existed during those two years and the Panthers simply weren't invited.
I don’t know for sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Panthers have wrestled at the tournament every year it has been held.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have some sad news to report. I found out last night that Dave Shuler, Jr., 66, passed away last Friday morning. He was Elder’s – and the entire GCL’s – first state wrestling champion, winning the 1973 155 pound title. He took the championship match by the score of 11-0. Here is his obituary and its link:

David L. Shuler, Jr, 66, passed away early Friday morning, Sept 25th peacefully in his home. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio. He was Elder High School’s first state champion in wrestling, graduating in 1973, and went on to wrestle for University of Cincinnati via scholarship in 1975-76. He was also a black belt in judo and tae kwon do, along with a bodybuilder earlier in his life. He worked for, and retired from, St. Elizabeth Hospital in Edgewood, Kentucky successfully operating and maintaining the power plant.
He was an avid fisherman, hunter, handyman, and much more. He passed on a lot of that knowledge to his sons, grandsons, and other family members and friends. He was the type of person that if you treated him good, he treated you better. If you ever came over for a meal, you could expect to get your fill, and then some. If he ever considered you a close friend, you could be considered a friend for life. He took pride in his house, home, and farm, building and fixing most by hand. David L. Shuler, Jr was a simple man who is simply being laid to rest. He wasn't one fancy flair, just function.
He is survived by his wife Lois Shuler (Woodward), mother, Shirley Keller (Bonomini), brother Vince Shuler, son David J. Shuler (wife Marisol), daughter Laura Shuler (husband Ahmed), grandsons Korben, Carson, and Aiden Shuler, and many more extended family members.
A private celebration of his life and memory will be held at his residence and be put on by his family and close friends. A very special thanks to Jeremy Woodward and all other medical personnel that were on the scene that night.
For inquires about donations or contributions made in his name, please send an email to djshuler@hotmail.com

RIP, Dave.
This is a remarkable feat of athletic accomplishment— people who don’t know wrestling (or people who only know wrestling in SW Ohio, over the last ~30-40 years) don’t begin to realize what an amazing feat this was, for a SW Ohio wrestler to win state in 1973— and ESPECIALLY at one of the middle weights that are ALWAYS highly contested by some of the finest athletes in the state (unlike the weight classes at the two ends of the spectrum— which sometimes see lesser competition— for lower weights because it was so hard to find [athletic] kids that could meet the [then] 98-pound limit for 4 years of HS, and at the [then] unlimited heavyweight, because there are few kids that fall into that category— even fewer that are willing to do what it takes to be a good wrestler)— but at 155 in 1973, Shuler would have been facing the absolute best field that pretty much any state in the US (including PA, NJ, etc.) had to offer...

And he (Shuler) would have been doing it without the benefit of facing (or even the opportunity to face) the best competition on a daily/weekly basis— because SW Ohio wrestling was at a VERY low level then— really kind of in its infancy, compared to where the Northern half of the state was at— Northern Ohio wrestlers (mainly NE Ohio, with some Toledo and Columbus mixed in) TOTALLY dominated Ohio state tournament wrestling— Cincinnati wrestlers mainly went up to Columbus for state, lost two matches, and came home— and were usually uncompetitive in those matches. I’m pretty sure that Elder did NOT go to big state-wide drawing tournaments in Cleveland, Columbus, or Akron/Canton/Youngstown in those days— so Shuler would NOT have had any opportunity to face top OH HS wrestlers during the season (and certainly not out-of-state top teams/wrestlers, as happens now with schools like St. Paris Graham and St. Ed’s). And there were NOT all these non-stop AAU tournaments In the summer to train in, like there are now (or, at least not for most of the guys with whom I wrestled— most of us had summer jobs that prevented going to those things—and the idea of being shuttled around by our parents to [pay to] attend wrestling camps and tournaments in the summer would have been a foreign concept to most of us [kids AND parents] in those days.)... This was a completely different challenge than Elder’s baseball or basketball team winning state at that time— SW Ohio basketball was certainly competitive with basketball in the rest of the state— and SW Ohio baseball was (usually) BETTER...

The bottom line (for me, at least) is this was an unfathomable achievement at that time— Dave Shuler must have been one of a kind!... Having said all that, and noting all of Dave’s interests in physically demanding activities, I would assume that he remained in very good physical condition throughout life— so, can anyone tell more about how/why Dave died at such a relatively young age? Was there a life-threatening illness of some kind?

This is a remarkable feat of athletic accomplishment— people who don’t know wrestling (or people who only know wrestling in SW Ohio, over the last ~30-40 years) don’t begin to realize what an amazing feat this was, for a SW Ohio wrestler to win state in 1973— and ESPECIALLY at one of the middle weights that are ALWAYS highly contested by some of the finest athletes in the state (unlike the weight classes at the two ends of the spectrum— which sometimes see lesser competition— for lower weights because it was so hard to find [athletic] kids that could meet the [then] 98-pound limit for 4 years of HS, and at the [then] unlimited heavyweight, because there are few kids that fall into that category— even fewer that are willing to do what it takes to be a good wrestler)— but at 155 in 1973, Shuler would have been facing the absolute best field that pretty much any state in the US (including PA, NJ, etc.) had to offer...

And he (Shuler) would have been doing it without the benefit of facing (or even the opportunity to face) the best competition on a daily/weekly basis— because SW Ohio wrestling was at a VERY low level then— really kind of in its infancy, compared to where the Northern half of the state was at— Northern Ohio wrestlers (mainly NE Ohio, with some Toledo and Columbus mixed in) TOTALLY dominated Ohio state tournament wrestling— Cincinnati wrestlers mainly went up to Columbus for state, lost two matches, and came home— and were usually uncompetitive in those matches. I’m pretty sure that Elder did NOT go to big state-wide drawing tournaments in Cleveland, Columbus, or Akron/Canton/Youngstown in those days— so Shuler would NOT have had any opportunity to face top OH HS wrestlers during the season (and certainly not out-of-state top teams/wrestlers, as happens now with schools like St. Paris Graham and St. Ed’s). And there were NOT all these non-stop AAU tournaments In the summer to train in, like there are now (or, at least not for most of the guys with whom I wrestled— most of us had summer jobs that prevented going to those things—and the idea of being shuttled around by our parents to [pay to] attend wrestling camps and tournaments in the summer would have been a foreign concept to most of us [kids AND parents] in those days.)... This was a completely different challenge than Elder’s baseball or basketball team winning state at that time— SW Ohio basketball was certainly competitive with basketball in the rest of the state— and SW Ohio baseball was (usually) BETTER...

The bottom line (for me, at least) is this was an unfathomable achievement at that time— Dave Shuler must have been one of a kind!... Having said all that, and noting all of Dave’s interests in physically demanding activities, I would assume that he remained in very good physical condition throughout life— so, can anyone tell more about how/why Dave died at such a relatively young age? Was there a life-threatening illness of some kind?

4GX,

I whole heartedly agree with your statements about the SW when it came to competing at the State Tourney back then. I had the pleasure of wrestling at the same time as Dave in high school and was able to watch him. He dominated on a regular basis. With that said, he was also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet outside of the mat (IMHO). I believe he won in the State finals 13-1. He was just an amazing athlete for his size. Example: in the late 80's he would come to our practices and workout with our upper weights, at times he would put his hands behind his back and let them try and take him down (never happened, actually he would usually score on them). Now understand, one of the kids he worked out with was our 189 pounder who was 6th in the state that year so he was wrestling some pretty good kids.

As for his health, I truly have no idea where it was at the time of his passing but him keeping in good shape was probably true. He was one of the BEST of that time not only in SW Ohio but the State of Ohio.

Coach McCoy

4GX,

I whole heartedly agree with your statements about the SW when it came to competing at the State Tourney back then. I had the pleasure of wrestling at the same time as Dave in high school and was able to watch him. He dominated on a regular basis. With that said, he was also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet outside of the mat (IMHO). I believe he won in the State finals 13-1. He was just an amazing athlete for his size. Example: in the late 80's he would come to our practices and workout with our upper weights, at times he would put his hands behind his back and let them try and take him down (never happened, actually he would usually score on them). Now understand, one of the kids he worked out with was our 189 pounder who was 6th in the state that year so he was wrestling some pretty good kids.

As for his health, I truly have no idea where it was at the time of his passing but him keeping in good shape was probably true. He was one of the BEST of that time not only in SW Ohio but the State of Ohio.

Coach McCoy
Coach McCoy— thanks for the interesting background on Dave Shuler (13-1 in the state final!!!)... hopefully, someone else (PotP?) will know something about Dave’s health condition at the end.

As of this writing, the OHSAA says the wrestling season is on. In its first October update, the OHSAA informed schools "There are no restrictions on types of events or total numbers of participants in events this season,” although as we all know there will be state limits on the number of spectators that will be allowed in a venue. From OHSAA October update, part 2:

2 - Clarification on Participants and Indoor Spectator Capacity
As shared in a recent “Administrator Update” from our office to school superintendents, principals, and athletic directors, please review the statement below:
The OHSAA has received additional guidance from the Ohio Department of Health on various winter (indoor) sports concerns. First, contest participants (athletes waiting to play and athletes completing play, plus cheerleaders, pep band members, etc.) do not count toward a sports venue’s allowable number of spectators under Ohio’s Sports Order or any variance that has been approved for your facility. However, school administrators are cautioned to use good judgement in this area. If, for example, auxiliary areas are available for athletes waiting to play or having completed play, including cheerleaders, pep band members, etc., consider placing these students in that area. No matter where these students are placed, six-feet social distancing mandates must be followed, and facial coverings are required. Consideration should also be given to sending freshman, junior varsity and/or varsity teams on separate transportation to away contests and having those groups depart after their specific contests are completed.
In short, participants do not count towards the indoor spectator limit, but they obviously must be accommodated and accounted for in the facility in ways that allow them to socially distance. If a host facility can only do that in the bleachers, then yes, that will take away from the number of spectators that could be seated in the stands. Participants cannot sit together without distancing in the bleachers, including those on the same team (same principle as observing social distancing on a team bench).

The update had this to say on scheduling:
4 - Points and Scheduling
As you are all aware, many tournaments have been either cancelled or reduced in size this year due to safety precautions. This trend has also led to an increase in multi-team, non-bracketed events.
Although the wrestling regulations don’t define a multi-team match beyond a quad, I wanted to clarify that any event with 5 or more teams is permissible and is only valued at 2 points. For instance, if 6 schools participated in a multi-team match in round robin, non-bracketed competition, this event would only count as 2 points on the team’s schedule and is not considered a tournament. Subsequently, it would not count toward a schedule’s tournament point limitation of 16.
That’s the Elder Duals.

So, since right now there will be a season . . . .

Before you know it, the Panther grapplers will be hitting the mats: practice officially starts a week from this Friday and the season starts Thursday, December 3. The Panthers will open the season on Saturday, December 5, when they host the Elder Duals (at least I think so). According to a thread started by Coach Roush last July, Kettering Fairmont, Legacy Christian, Marion C. Moore (Louisville KY), and Sycamore will be there; he was hunting for one more team to round out the field.
To start, here’s the Panther Lakota East sectional lineup from last February minus the seniors but with the others’ classes this year:
106: Drew Magness (junior; ‘20 state qualifer)
113:
120: Jack Roth (senior; ’20 district qualifier)
126:
132: Kody Kaimann (senior; ’20 district qualifier)
138: Aiden Williams (senior; ’20 district qualifier)
145:
152: Bartley Thomas (junior; ’20 state qualifier)
160:
170:
182:
195: Jack Tucker (senior; ’20 district qualifier)
220: Gallin Mitchell (senior; ’20 district qualifier)
285:
Assuming Thomas’ football program weight of 174 was accurate, maybe pencil him in at 160. Mitchell’s program weight was 230, so it seems a safe bet that he will be back manning 220.
If all seven are back, that would leave seven spots in the lineup to be claimed. Here’s an admittedly brief and therefore incomplete list of some of the other Panthers who wrestled varsity and jv matches last year and their class this year (my apologies to anyone I missed):
Kyle Brogan (senior);
Ryan Roell (senior);
Beau Bryson (junior;
Brent Stahl (junior);
Cody Wolf (junior);
Connor Woods (junior);
Neal Roth (sophomore);
Reece Chagman (sophomore);
Jimmy Finley (sophomore);
Liam Hulen (sophomore);
Andrew Thamann (sophomore).
Once more, the lineup may be a work in progress early into next year.
As for freshmen, a while back a PJ Murphy was listed in a thread in the wrestling forum as an eight-grader who would be attending Elder. I am 99 and 44/100 sure that he is Austin Murphy’s brother, so I presume he is a Panther, although I don’t have first-hand knowledge of whether he in fact is a freshman at Elder. If so, we’ll see if he can claim a starting spot this year, maybe 120?
Concerning this year’s GCL-S, LaSalle has a new head coach, Rico Hill. He replaced Coach Root, who resigned last May. As far as I’ve read, the Lancers will return all five of their ’20 state qualifiers: seniors Dustin Norris (120, ’19 champ 113), Cole Skinner (126, ’19 third 106), Casey Wiles (132, ’19 fourth 132), and Dillon Walker (182); and junior Jake Niffenegger (138, ’19 second 138). The Lancers also return senior Darnai Heard (’19 seventh 145) and junior Chase Stein (district qualifier). Needless to say, the Lancers once again will have a pretty stout lineup.
Moeller will return seniors Nolan Moore (3x district qualifier) and Brayden Zenni (’20 state qualifier, 132); juniors Brad Hornback (district qualifier), Kurt Thompson (’20 state qualifier, 160), and Jonathon Sanchez (district qualifier); and sophomore Joe Anastasia (district qualifier).
St. Xavier will return junior LaVeall Trimble (2x district qualifier) and sophomore Ty Wynn (district qualifier).
So far, the SWOWCA Glenn Sample Wrestling Classic has been canceled. The other tournaments the Panthers attended last year were the Ryle Raider Rumble, the Brecksville Holiday Tournament, the Catholic Invitational, and the Delaware Hayes Rieman Invitational. Brecksville is listed on their website, so I guess as of now it’s still on, but probably with a reduced field. I have not found anything about the status of the other three tournaments. If any of them end up being canceled, you would expect the Panthers to look to schedule some additional dual, tri, or quad meets.
I may be wrong, but believe this year the GCL-S title will be decided by each school’s record in dual meets against the other three schools.
I don’t know for sure, but I presume that only family members will be permitted to attend matches this year, at least at larger meets. In any case, after giving the issue a lot of thought, I have decided that, discretion being the better part of valor, even if matches will be open to a limited number of members of the general public, I will hunker down this winter in mi casa and unfortunately will not be attending any Panther wrestling dual, tri, or quad meets. Perhaps someone else can step in and post the results of these meets.
On the other hand, if the Panthers wrestle in a tournament that is on a site like Track Wrestling, I will post updates as the information becomes available, the same as past years.
As usual, please post any additions, subtractions, or corrections to this post.
Good luck to the Panther grapplers this year, and hopefully they all will have a safe and healthy season.

As of this writing, the OHSAA says the wrestling season is on. In its first October update, the OHSAA informed schools "There are no restrictions on types of events or total numbers of participants in events this season,” although as we all know there will be state limits on the number of spectators that will be allowed in a venue. From OHSAA October update, part 2:

2 - Clarification on Participants and Indoor Spectator Capacity
As shared in a recent “Administrator Update” from our office to school superintendents, principals, and athletic directors, please review the statement below:
The OHSAA has received additional guidance from the Ohio Department of Health on various winter (indoor) sports concerns. First, contest participants (athletes waiting to play and athletes completing play, plus cheerleaders, pep band members, etc.) do not count toward a sports venue’s allowable number of spectators under Ohio’s Sports Order or any variance that has been approved for your facility. However, school administrators are cautioned to use good judgement in this area. If, for example, auxiliary areas are available for athletes waiting to play or having completed play, including cheerleaders, pep band members, etc., consider placing these students in that area. No matter where these students are placed, six-feet social distancing mandates must be followed, and facial coverings are required. Consideration should also be given to sending freshman, junior varsity and/or varsity teams on separate transportation to away contests and having those groups depart after their specific contests are completed.
In short, participants do not count towards the indoor spectator limit, but they obviously must be accommodated and accounted for in the facility in ways that allow them to socially distance. If a host facility can only do that in the bleachers, then yes, that will take away from the number of spectators that could be seated in the stands. Participants cannot sit together without distancing in the bleachers, including those on the same team (same principle as observing social distancing on a team bench).

The update had this to say on scheduling:
4 - Points and Scheduling
As you are all aware, many tournaments have been either cancelled or reduced in size this year due to safety precautions. This trend has also led to an increase in multi-team, non-bracketed events.
Although the wrestling regulations don’t define a multi-team match beyond a quad, I wanted to clarify that any event with 5 or more teams is permissible and is only valued at 2 points. For instance, if 6 schools participated in a multi-team match in round robin, non-bracketed competition, this event would only count as 2 points on the team’s schedule and is not considered a tournament. Subsequently, it would not count toward a schedule’s tournament point limitation of 16.
That’s the Elder Duals.

So, since right now there will be a season . . . .
It’s amazing to me that the OHSAA is going ahead with wrestling, at this point, given the obvious close quarters that it entails — clearly, more than ANY other sport, it will be impossible to maintain any sort of social distancing in wrestling...

Don’t get me wrong— I very much WANT to see wrestling be able to proceed— I’m just wondering how tenuous this proposed season start is? Is it likely that we will see it rapidly shut down, after multiple outbreaks lead to numerous teams being “out of commission” for weeks at a time? The virus epidemic is actually reaching a peak now— which appears likely to surpass the levels seen in the spring— what do readers here think will happen with the state’s regulatory oversight of wrestling (and ALL other indoor sports, for that matter)?

Coach McCoy posted on FB....new wrestling room:

1604431902750.png

This year’s wresting schedule is posted on EHSports. Right now it lists the Elder Duals (Elder, Colerain, Kettering Fairmont, Legacy Christian, and Sycamore, 12/5); duals with Fairfield (a, 12/10), Moeller (a, 1/06), Harrison (h, 1/07), East Central (h, 1/14), LaSalle (h, 1/21), Oak Hills (h, 1/22), St. Xavier (h, Senior Night, 1/23), and Western Brown (a, 2/11); quads at Ryle (Ryle, Elder, Louisville St. Xavier, and Union County, 12/12) and at Centerville (Centerville, Elder, Princeton, and West Clermont, 12/19); and the CIT (at Newark High School, 1/16-17). It also lists the Ohio High School Wrestling Coaches Association State Duals on February 6, with qualifying on a date or dates to be determined on December 19 (the OHSAA canceled their State Duals tournament a while back).

Coach Roush posted a notice in the wrestling forum that the Panthers are looking to fill out their schedule. There still is an opening for one team at the Elder Duals on 12/5. In addition, because Kentucky pushed the start of their winter sports back to January, the Panther are looking to wrestle somewhere on 12/12 to replace the Ryle Quad.
Right now, the Panthers are looking for matches at all three levels. Other schools who are looking for matches also are posting notices in the wrestling forum, so hopefully the Panthers can schedule a few more matches.

The schedule shows a few changes today. The Ryle Quad (12/12), Moeller dual (1/06), and CIT (1/16-17) are no longer listed. Newly added are the Carlisle Dual Tournament (Carlisle, Baylor (TN), Edgewood, Elder, Greenon, Legacy Christian, Malvern Prep (PA), Moeller, and a team TBA, 1/08-09) and the Springboro Quad (Springboro, Elder, Olentangy Liberty, and a team TBA, 1/16).
With the Elder/Moeller dual being eliminated but both teams wrestling at Carlisle, you have to think that the result of the match between the two at Carlisle will count for GCL-S purposes.

The Panther grapplers will open their season this Saturday as they host Elder Quad #1. Legacy Christian, Colerain, and Sycamore will provide the opposition.
Last year, Legacy Christian came to the Elder Duals and did not enter a wrestler above 160. In their match against the Panthers, the Knights won the final match (113) and came away with a 30-27 victory (195 and 220 were double forfeits).
The Knights entered eight wrestlers at the D-III Lehman Catholic sectional tournament (106 to 152) and sent seven to the Troy district tournament, where they finished second to Troy Christian. Of those seven, five qualified for the Schott, and four of the five return this year (the fifth, junior Matt Ellis, transferred to Waynesville). They are juniors Camron Lacure (’19 third at 120 at the Schott), Gavin Brown (’19 state champ at 126, ’20 Troy champ at 138), and Nick Alvarez (’20 Troy champ at 145); and sophomore Boede Campbell. The Knights also return Troy qualifiers junior Logan Attisano and sophomore Ethan Cooper.
Colerain is led by seniors Mawuli Nevis and Todd Watson, both ’20 Kettering district qualifiers, and Jacob Brewer; juniors Tim Smith (’20 state qualifier) and ’20 district qualifiers Jaymar Brown, Logan Jones, and Khamil Abdul.
Sycamore is led by ’20 district qualifier senior Mitchell Reardon.
All the action starts at 10:00 a.m.

Last night this Saturday’s Elder Quad #1 became the Elder Duals once more when Coach Roush posted a thread in the wrestling forum announcing that the Falcons of St. Paris Graham will be participating. As wrestling fans know, Graham, like LSE, needs no introduction. I don’t know for sure, but I suspect that this will be Graham’s first visit to Elder. Graham and Legacy Christian will wrestle in the final round. Coach Roush stated that the event will be streamed live.
All the action still starts at 10:00 a.m. Watch it. Aloha.

Elder Duals
Match #1 - Elder vs Sycamore
106: Ben Weigand 9 lost pin Adam G third S 6 E 0
113: Brent Stahl 11 pin Cameron Messerschmidt third E 6 S 6
120: Drew Magness 11 pin Brendan Laux (maybe) first E 12 S 6
126: PJ Murphy 9 by FF E 18 S 6
132: Jack Roth 12 lost maj dec Andrew Killgore 10-1 E 18 S 10
138: Kody Kaimann 12 lost tech fall Eugene Harney 19-4 E 18 S 15
145: Kyle Brogan 12 pin JJ Laux third E 24 S 15
152: Anthony Lay 10 pin Gary Olimov (maybe) second E 30 S 15
160: Jacob Wilczek 10 pin ? second E 36 S 15
170: Daniel Bibent 10 lost pin Mitch Reardon second E 36 S 21
182: Ryan Roell 12 lost pin Tom Coyne second E 36 S 27
195: Ian James 9 lost pin Evan Massey second E 36 S 33
220: Joshua Sanchez 10 by FF E 42 S 33
285: Jack Tucker 12 dec Ben Bobst 3-2

Final Score:
Elder 45 Sycamore 33

Sorry for the maybes and question marks, sometimes it was hard to hear the public address announcer or the broadcast announcer, who is doing a pretty good job.

Last edited: