Elder vs. St Ed's

Not a lot to say, Elder is a massive underdog and it's going to take everything they have just to keep it close. Last night could be the best thing to happen to them or it could be the worst. Again, youngest team Elder has had in a long time. What we saw last night shouldn't be anywhere close to the team we see I. GCL play.

The coaches need to take this as an opportunity for redemption. I guarantee you Eds thinks they're going to come in here and piss on Elder. They might, the talent gap is wide enough. Elder has got to approach this like they've got nothing to lose. Everyone expects a blowout, nowhere to go but up.

However, they need to mix things up. Playing their routine game plan on defense won't cut it. They're going to have to blitz and blitz often. I get the risk of leaving our corners on an island, but what's the alternative? Doing the same exact thing that's failed every year?

On offense they've got to switch up the cadence, Dipre will have a field day if he picks up the snap count. They also need to get the ball to Martin. He's their only true threat over the middle and I don't know if he was targeted last night. You have to assume Hall's going to be taken out of the game by Crawford so the deep ball isn't an option. Also with Eds stout front 7 power running won't come into play. They have to use the short passing game as an extension of the run, chew up clock. Look back at highlights from Ignatius vs Eds last yr. Special teams and field position were huge.

The question is what does Elder do to stop Crawford on offense? He's an elite WR, even though he also plays DB. I know they play Cover 2 to prevent the deep ball, but how well has that worked? They've got to blitz and blitz a ton. Underdogs have to take chances.

You don't have to game plan for Crawford on offense. Stump is their best offensive player and main target for Kean. Also, don't sleep on junior Cole Guest at running back. Most explosive back Eds has had since Frankie Edmunds in 2006.

You don't have to game plan for Crawford on offense. Stump is their best offensive player and main target for Kean. Also, don't sleep on junior Cole Guest at running back. Most explosive back Eds has had since Frankie Edmunds in 2006.

How many plays a game is he at WR/RB? He's butchered Elder on deep vertical routes the last 2 years. Guest has to be a stud if they moved Dowell to defense to make him the feature back.

Elder's defense has played decent against the run. However, outside of Joe Schroer they're fairly undersized. They really struggle getting weak side pressure, which means if they want to pressure Kean they're going to have to blitz.

Always enjoy playing Elder. A lot of respect for your program even though you ruined my night back in 2003! Best of luck and stay healthy to both teams.

I hate to say it, but this game is going to be over early in the second quarter. Ed's is the real deal. Bigger and faster at almost every position. I hope I'm wrong, but I have absolutely no reason to be confident. Saying the crowd needs to be a factor is silly. The Pit is nowhere near the same environment it used to be. Ed's will not be affected by that the slightest bit..

I agree Eds is the real deal, but to say it will be over by the 2nd qtr? This group plays with too much pride to lay down like that. To stay in the game, they need long drives that keeps Eds offense off the field. Really sick of this cowardly attitude on here. They might get blown out, but expecting them to just lay back and take it, like all the work they've done leading up to this means nothing? Not a chance. They pizzed down their leg Friday, and IMO the staff let the team down. There was no excuse to not utilize Portis more, he was averaging ~4 yards per carry. Give some credit to McD, that might be the biggest OL they see, including Eds and Moe.

I am not like Final World, Elder's version of ReLoad, but give the kids a chance to prove themselves. This whole, expectation of "poor us, we can't play with the big dogs" makes me want to puke. This is a chance at redemption, even if they can't pull the upset, going toe to toe with the odds on favorite to win state, is a huge psychological boost. It's so easy to just quit on this team, bc honestly they choked Friday, but look at last year , the year before, and even 2010, Elder made huge strides. My guess is if they'd blown out Princeton or Xenia, you guys would be picking the upset.

No need to hit the panic button yet guys. Elder will be fine to make the playoffs as long as they win 2 out of 3 gcl games and take care of highlands and WW.
As mentioned before Elder played a really tough team in McD nothing wrong with that. Better to play tough competition and get better from it than to play weak teams and have a false sense of reality.

Elders game plan this week should to keep the ball from eds as long as possible by working 10 yards at a time. They won't win a shootout with eds. Defensively the Dbs need to step it up. The d-line can help by getting pressure on the qb.

I agree Eds is the real deal, but to say it will be over by the 2nd qtr? This group plays with too much pride to lay down like that. To stay in the game, they need long drives that keeps Eds offense off the field. Really sick of this cowardly attitude on here. They might get blown out, but expecting them to just lay back and take it, like all the work they've done leading up to this means nothing? Not a chance. They pizzed down their leg Friday, and IMO the staff let the team down. There was no excuse to not utilize Portis more, he was averaging ~4 yards per carry. Give some credit to McD, that might be the biggest OL they see, including Eds and Moe.

I am not like Final World, Elder's version of ReLoad, but give the kids a chance to prove themselves. This whole, expectation of "poor us, we can't play with the big dogs" makes me want to puke. This is a chance at redemption, even if they can't pull the upset, going toe to toe with the odds on favorite to win state, is a huge psychological boost. It's so easy to just quit on this team, bc honestly they choked Friday, but look at last year , the year before, and even 2010, Elder made huge strides. My guess is if they'd blown out Princeton or Xenia, you guys would be picking the upset.

It's not about kids laying down it's about talent, you're always talking this rah rah nonsense. Players play and coaches coach, the talent level isn't going to be close in this game. IMO Ed's will beat Elder handily and it will have nothing to do with Elder kids quitting or laying down. The offensive side of the ball has some talent although they lack explosion in the running game and the receiving game. Hall is a great possession WR but isn't a burner or big play threat and Portis is a work horse but again not a burner. The defense also has some nice players, but overall is slow and will have a lot of trouble against the spread once the Ed's skill guys get Elder in space.

Having said all that I hope I'm wrong and Elder can make it competitive.

It's not about kids laying down it's about talent, you're always talking this rah rah nonsense. Players play and coaches coach, the talent level isn't going to be close in this game. IMO Ed's will beat Elder handily and it will have nothing to do with Elder kids quitting or laying down. The offensive side of the ball has some talent although they lack explosion in the running game and the receiving game. Hall is a great possession WR but isn't a burner or big play threat and Portis is a work horse but again not a burner. The defense also has some nice players, but overall is slow and will have a lot of trouble against the spread once the Ed's skill guys get Elder in space.

Having said all that I hope I'm wrong and Elder can make it competitive.

I am as realistic as anyone and would never come at you with some Final Word type of non-sensee. However, when you have the talent Elder has, having the game over in the second qtr would suggest you quit. There's a chance they get blown out, but game over before half time?

I cant help but remember the 2001 season when Elder beat 3 (Warren Harding, St.I, and Colerain) #1 teams ranked in the state of Ohio. Maybe history will repeat itself this week with Ed's being ranked #1 in the nation and state in many polls.:cool:

http://www2.cincinnati.com/preps/2001/11/10/pre_elder_35_colerain_21.html

The '01 team was the best Elder team over the last 30 yrs, maybe ever. Only way to make it competitive is long drives, get the ball to Martin in the seams and Messmore in space. Elder is not going to be able to run early vs the Eds front 7. There's also almost no chance of pass plays over 20 yards vs that secondary. In realistic down and distances on Eds territory, Elder needs to go for it. Bad field position means nothing to the Eds offense.

Defense needs to create a minimum of 2 tos to keep it close. Take chances, blitz, Ignatius was able to rattle Keane with Dremont Jones on the outside.

Elder is just not a program that changes its game plan much. I am not talking in game changes, or even game to game changes, I am talking years! They have been running the same dozen plays for 15 years. They do what they do, and most of the time it works.

When the personnel is great, so is the execution. When it's not, well it's not. I do not expect anything different vs. St Ed's.

Go watch the Mentor/Ed's film from last year. That's your blueprint.

The outcome of that game was decided before the game even started when Ed's primary running back was injured. The Ed's O foolishly relied on Crawford too much, diminishing his ability to shut down the Mentor passing game when he was on D.

The coaches need to take this as an opportunity for redemption. I guarantee you Eds thinks they're going to come in here and piss on Elder. They might, the talent gap is wide enough. Elder has got to approach this like they've got nothing to lose. Everyone expects a blowout, nowhere to go but up.

However, they need to mix things up. Playing their routine game plan on defense won't cut it. They're going to have to blitz and blitz often. I get the risk of leaving our corners on an island, but what's the alternative? Doing the same exact thing that's failed every year?

On offense they've got to switch up the cadence, Dipre will have a field day if he picks up the snap count. They also need to get the ball to Martin. He's their only true threat over the middle and I don't know if he was targeted last night. You have to assume Hall's going to be taken out of the game by Crawford so the deep ball isn't an option. Also with Eds stout front 7 power running won't come into play. They have to use the short passing game as an extension of the run, chew up clock. Look back at highlights from Ignatius vs Eds last yr. Special teams and field position were huge.

:laugh: Anybody else think pboy has a future in coaching?

The outcome of that game was decided before the game even started when Ed's primary running back was injured. The Ed's O foolishly relied on Crawford too much, diminishing his ability to shut down the Mentor passing game when he was on D.

Disagree. Ed's is not a one trick pony. Elder has the ability offensively to do to Ed's what Mentor did. Keeping your offense on the field will be your best defense is my point.

Elder squeaks out a victory in a real nail biter, 28-27. Too much doom and gloom after a loss to what was probably a very good football team. I wasn't there, but it sounds to me like Ramsey was outcoached. I understand though, Elder has never lost a regular season game and gone on to win a state championship...........might as well not even show up the rest of the season.

I think more designed runs to Ramsey will be needed if they want to establish any kind of running game. I think this team is capable of hanging with St. Edward. They will have to play a great game sure, but this team is not as overly matched as everyone is making it sound. On defense, I would think about moving Furniss to boss and play Adams more at linebacker.