Elder vs. Oak Hills

ElderHSfan02

Elder earned the #6 seed and a home game with their 6-4 record. Oak Hills will visit The PIT with a 5-5 record. Oak Hills had 0 wins over a team with a winning record and a bad opening season lost to 3-7 Turpin. They have some players, have nothing to lose, and do not like Elder. Elder cannot take this team lightly.

Elder 35
Oak Hills 14

Elder earned the #6 seed and a home game with their 6-4 record. Oak Hills will visit The PIT with a 5-5 record. Oak Hills had 0 wins over a team with a winning record and a bad opening season lost to 3-7 Turpin. They have some players, have nothing to lose, and do not like Elder. Elder cannot take this team lightly.

Elder 35
Oak Hills 14
Elder 31
Highlanders 21

Did OH original QB1 get hurt, or did they just make a switch? Sophomore Wil Kraus has not started since week 5. Senior Brandon Stidham has started the last 4 games for Oak Hills. He had 17 carries from QB against Lakota East and 11 against Middletown.

Yes, Soph QB got hurt and is out for the year. Then Senior Supe got hurt as well. Elder should win but I dont think this is a blowout by any stretch. OH has speed and talent in spots. I think Elder will wear them down eventually but I can see it being a game for 1st half.

Yes, Soph QB got hurt and is out for the year. Then Senior Supe got hurt as well. Elder should win but I dont think this is a blowout by any stretch. OH has speed and talent in spots. I think Elder will wear them down eventually but I can see it being a game for 1st half.
I tend to agree with this sentiment. I do worry about Elder’s tackling, it was really awful in the first half vs LS and their RB isn’t close to the level of Parker from OH.

Always an enjoyable game to watch as an Elder fan, simply because winning is enjoyable. #1987
You night be referring to this.

1698094713991.png

Even years at Elder Odd Oak Hills
2004 Elder 49 Oak Hills 19
2005 Elder 42 Oak Hills 16
2006 Elder 42 Oak Hills 7
2007 Elder 21 Oak Hills 16
2008 Elder 30 Oak Hills 7

Even years at Oak Hills Odd at Elder
2014 Elder 34 Oak Hills 6
2015 Elder 56 Oak Hills 14
2016 Elder 27 Oak Hills 0
2017 Elder 41 Oak Hills 12

You night be referring to this.

View attachment 48640
Even years at Elder Odd Oak Hills
2004 Elder 49 Oak Hills 19
2005 Elder 42 Oak Hills 16
2006 Elder 42 Oak Hills 7
2007 Elder 21 Oak Hills 16
2008 Elder 30 Oak Hills 7

Even years at Oak Hills Odd at Elder
2014 Elder 34 Oak Hills 6
2015 Elder 56 Oak Hills 14
2016 Elder 27 Oak Hills 0
2017 Elder 41 Oak Hills 12

Wow, OH won five of the first eight games and hasn’t won since! I had no idea it was that bad! Was the 2003 game in the playoffs?

Wow, OH won five of the first eight games and hasn’t won since! I had no idea it was that bad! Was the 2003 game in the playoffs?
No. Oak Hills qualified for the playoffs the first year the field was expanded to 8 teams per region in 1999 and didn't qualify again until Covid and subsequent the expansion to 16 teams. They've now made the playoffs in 4 consecutive seasons.

1999 was the season Elder won on a last second field goal at Oak Hills in week 10 and then won the following week in playoff game in The Pit. In 2003, Oak Hills took a lead late in the game until Michael Brown (I think) returned a kickoff for touchdown.

No. Oak Hills qualified for the playoffs the first year the field was expanded to 8 teams per region in 1999 and didn't qualify again until Covid and subsequent the expansion to 16 teams. They've now made the playoffs in 4 consecutive seasons.

1999 was the season Elder won on a last second field goal at Oak Hills in week 10 and then won the following week in playoff game in The Pit. In 2003, Oak Hills took a lead late in the game until Michael Brown (I think) returned a kickoff for touchdown.
I believe it was a punt, not a kickoff returned for a TD. Sheehan had this weird idea to punt on 3rd down that year because "they'll never expect it." There were 3 games that year that oak hills lost because of 3rd down punts getting returned for TDs. I remember 3 games vividly because my brother was on that Oak Hills team and they were loaded that year.

I believe it was a punt, not a kickoff returned for a TD. Sheehan had this weird idea to punt on 3rd down that year because "they'll never expect it." There were 3 games that year that oak hills lost because of 3rd down punts getting returned for TDs. I remember 3 games vividly because my brother was on that Oak Hills team and they were loaded that year.
Lmao

Time will tell if this game leads into another attempt at a two year home and away schedule for the coming years. I rarely if not ever agree with Pboy, but it would be ideal to play OH or a team in the GMC for more local scheduling rather than out of town teams.

Panthers need to come out strong and bring the hammer down early and often. Utilize the threats we have as often as we can coming out of a game with Lasalle. The boys have proven they can play with just about anyone and yes the defense needs to step up to carry the burden of good field position for the offense.

I was wrong and mixed up two games at Oak Hills. It was in 2001 that Ricky Brown (Michael’s older brother) returned a kick to put Elder ahead late in the game. The 2003 game was back and forth until a DJ Hueneman field goal.

Time will tell if this game leads into another attempt at a two year home and away schedule for the coming years. I rarely if not ever agree with Pboy, but it would be ideal to play OH or a team in the GMC for more local scheduling rather than out of town teams.
If it does we won’t know until the 2026 season. Oak Hills can only play non-GMC opponents in week 1 and Elder will play Withrow that week in 2024 and 2025.

Panthers need to come out strong and bring the hammer down early and often. Utilize the threats we have as often as we can coming out of a game with Lasalle. The boys have proven they can play with just about anyone and yes the defense needs to step up to carry the burden of good field position for the offense.
GMC teams only have one game to schedule. Oak Hills is still trying to build a consistent winner. They might need to use that one game to play a team more on their level before they start playing a GCL team every year. I am encouraged but not ready to put them on Elder’s level year after year. Just a guess. Maybe their coach will go for it?

GMC teams only have one game to schedule. Oak Hills is still trying to build a consistent winner. They might need to use that one game to play a team more on their level before they start playing a GCL team every year. I am encouraged but not ready to put them on Elder’s level year after year. Just a guess. Maybe their coach will go for it?
It won't be next year. Oak Hills can only play Elder in week 1. Elder has already signed a 2 year deal with Withrow for week 1 next year.

I actually want to avoid the OH series, it gets too toxic. Neither student body is able to control themselves. Any other GMC team in place of trash bag Eds would be preferable.

I want to give credit to the D for holding LS to a FG in the 2nd half. However, they missed too many tackles in the 1st half. The LS RB had 300 yards rushing all season prior to facing Elder and he finished with nearly 90 yards on Friday. OH’s RB will take those 10 yard runs and turn them into TDs.

Offensively, they can’t continue to put it all on Brass. The last 2 weeks there’s been rain and the conditions haven’t been great to throw the ball, but they need to spread it out a bit. Think of how crisp the Offense looked vs Eds when they made a conscientious effort to get the ball out quickly. Running QB Draw, QB Power, QB Counter 75% of the time isn’t sustainable

I believe his last name is Parker. He is a big and physical runner from what I have seen. Tackling is the name of the game this week, if E can consistently tackle the game should be pretty one sided if I had to guess.

Would be great to get a GMC game for week 1, because some of the other teams Elder has played like Springboro (GWOC) or Pick North (OCC), don't play a 9-game league schedule and could be more flexible in weeks 2, 3 and 4 before they get into league play. Withrow is a nice local pick up, but again could have potentially added them for week 2 or 3.

Certainly don't envy the ADs trying to schedule these games, especially football. It's quite a puzzle at times trying to find the open dates and fit the opponents into them.

Offensively, they can’t continue to put it all on Brass. The last 2 weeks there’s been rain and the conditions haven’t been great to throw the ball, but they need to spread it out a bit. Think of how crisp the Offense looked vs Eds when they made a conscientious effort to get the ball out quickly. Running QB Draw, QB Power, QB Counter 75% of the time isn’t susustainable.
Earlier in the season Elder really only went through Brass in the run game and Mirus in the pass game. Murphy has come on strong down the stretch. Boeing has had some timely catches. Even Paff coming in at the slot has seen an increase in targets. But if you've got a decided advantage up front, you just gotta run the ball.

Also if you ever listen to Ramsey, about half of the QB runs are actually RPOs. They have the run call, with a tag for a quick pass. The QB is reading numbers pre-snap and sometimes even reading one defender at the snap.

Earlier in the season Elder really only went through Brass in the run game and Mirus in the pass game. Murphy has come on strong down the stretch. Boeing has had some timely catches. Even Paff coming in at the slot has seen an increase in targets. But if you've got a decided advantage up front, you just gotta run the ball.

Also if you ever listen to Ramsey, about half of the QB runs are actually RPOs. They have the run call, with a tag for a quick pass. The QB is reading numbers pre-snap and sometimes even reading one defender at the snap.
When did he say that? I didn’t see a lot rushed that looked like RPOs vs LS. Almost everything looked like a direct QB run. I understand playing to your strengths but the Offense had its best games vs Eds and PN when they threw the ball a bit more.

That's what makes it so tough for a defense to prepare for Elder. They will take what the defense gives them, and if they have a lead they will run it anyway even if they crowd the box.

In the closer games, Brass was throwing 20+ times a game.

When did he say that? I didn’t see a lot rushed that looked like RPOs vs LS. Almost everything looked like a direct QB run. I understand playing to your strengths but the Offense had its best games vs Eds and PN when they threw the ball a bit more.
He's said this a lot over the past few years, specifically when being asked about the QBs and how much they run the ball.

I remember him saying either in an article or interview after the game, the 4th down play against St X with Luebbe's team in the playoffs, was actually an RPO.

This game is a huge one. I don't think Oak Hills will be victorious; however, this will be their best opportunity since 03. This is a huge game for both schools. The winner will undoubtedly get one or most likely a few players that are on the fence about where to go to school. If Oak Hills pulls it out, that could be the tide-turner to make Oak Hills a legitimate threat in the GMC in a couple of seasons.

He's said this a lot over the past few years, specifically when being asked about the QBs and how much they run the ball.

I remember him saying either in an article or interview after the game, the 4th down play against St X with Luebbe's team in the playoffs, was actually an RPO.
I understand that but vs LS these were all designed QB runs. There was no read option, it was straight old school Wing T QB power runs.

And I’m not questioning the actual play calls, because they clearly worked. Brass running was essentially the whole Offense. My hope is with better weather conditions, they’ll be more open to spreading things out. I keep going back to the Ed’s game because that was Ramsey at his best. He kept Eds off balance and never allowed their Defense to get aggressive.

This game is a huge one. I don't think Oak Hills will be victorious; however, this will be their best opportunity since 03. This is a huge game for both schools. The winner will undoubtedly get one or most likely a few players that are on the fence about where to go to school. If Oak Hills pulls it out, that could be the tide-turner to make Oak Hills a legitimate threat in the GMC in a couple of seasons.

I would hope a parent/kid would not decide the next 4 years of their life on a round 1 playoff game where 16 out of 19 teams made the playoffs. That said, it would certainly be big for Oak Hills to get football relevant again in their school. One of their issues is keeping their kids playing football instead of concentrating on another sport.