Elder Football 2020

JTK, it was never my intent to either approve or disapprove of the Governors and Health directors policy's. If some one came on here bashing or condemning Trump and his polices or any other politician from any party I would have posted the same thing.

We see and hear that every day in our news, blogs, workplaces, etc. There are other blogs and threads to do that without interjecting it on this thread.

What I like about Yappi and the Elder Panthers site is it focuses on all things good and happening on the West Side, Panther sports and the school in general. It is great place to come and read posts from all of you. I have always enjoyed your posts thru out the years. I like for the most part how much information and good opinions are posted.

I wish all sports could start today. I think sports benefit so many in our country and has a great impact in young peoples lives. I hope they figure it out soon. But I think the professional sports(NFL, NBA, MLB, etc) and major college sports need to work it out before it will filter down the high school level in our country. Because of the money and revenue it generates they are highly motivated to come up with solutions. It can't come soon enough.

That's it. All the best to you.
my brother, i didnt intend to offend you, and if i did im sorry. im just wanting this crap to end. im a school teach in a public school and i just miss my kids and parents, etc. i also umpire high school softball (have worked state championships) and missed my whole season. i also referee basketball for high school and miss that. maybe im bitter but deswine has hurt a lot of things. also i have 2 seniors. one in college and one in high school. i am bitter. sorry if you thought i was being a to you. i feel bad for everyone. hopefully all can recover.

my brother, i didnt intend to offend you, and if i did im sorry. im just wanting this crap to end. im a school teach in a public school and i just miss my kids and parents, etc. i also umpire high school softball (have worked state championships) and missed my whole season. i also referee basketball for high school and miss that. maybe im bitter but deswine has hurt a lot of things. also i have 2 seniors. one in college and one in high school. i am bitter. sorry if you thought i was being a to you. i feel bad for everyone. hopefully all can recover.

None of this should be political but unfortunately, it’s the world we live in.

Hearing none of the Canadian teams are going to be able to play their scheduled games in the US. That would open a week for all 4 GCL teams, week 9 for Elder.

Hearing none of the Canadian teams are going to be able to play their scheduled games in the US. That would open a week for all 4 GCL teams, week 9 for Elder.
Did Elder have a Canadian team lined up already? I thought they were still trying to fill that week 9. I know it’s unpopular, but a Bye Week isn’t the worst thing in the world. Given the circumstances, getting 9 games scheduled is a borderline miracle.

I thought I may as well give my $0.02, but once again I'm just spitballin' here. Let’s say that the number of Ohio COVID-19 cases decreases this month and next, and the experts suspect that one reason is because that virus, like flu viruses, becomes less of a hazard during the warmer months but they warn that come Thanksgiving or so we can expect both kinds of viruses to reappear. Of course the annual flu vaccine will be available but not one for COVID-19. And let’s say the experts determine that a football season (and other fall sports) can be played relatively safely because of this seasonal aspect but with certain safeguards in place. (How Elder will allocate seats in The Pit to all the season ticket holders is an interesting question.) Based on this determination, let’s say schools are allowed to open their campuses July 1.
Under these conditions, I think we all can see the OHSAA try to get some form of a football season played. How about they start the season a week earlier like Kentucky (Friday/Saturday August 21/22) with everyone's schedule moving up a week but with teams making any changes they may need to make, play an eight game season consisting solely of Ohio teams (end October 9/10), and reduce the playoff qualifiers from eight teams per region to four? The state finals would be held Thu/Fri/Sat November 5/6/7, a few weeks before the virus season returns. Two teams per division would end up playing 12 games.
Thoughts?

I thought I may as well give my $0.02, but once again I'm just spitballin' here. Let’s say that the number of Ohio COVID-19 cases decreases this month and next, and the experts suspect that one reason is because that virus, like flu viruses, becomes less of a hazard during the warmer months but they warn that come Thanksgiving or so we can expect both kinds of viruses to reappear. Of course the annual flu vaccine will be available but not one for COVID-19. And let’s say the experts determine that a football season (and other fall sports) can be played relatively safely because of this seasonal aspect but with certain safeguards in place. (How Elder will allocate seats in The Pit to all the season ticket holders is an interesting question.) Based on this determination, let’s say schools are allowed to open their campuses July 1.
Under these conditions, I think we all can see the OHSAA try to get some form of a football season played. How about they start the season a week earlier like Kentucky (Friday/Saturday August 21/22) with everyone's schedule moving up a week but with teams making any changes they may need to make, play an eight game season consisting solely of Ohio teams (end October 9/10), and reduce the playoff qualifiers from eight teams per region to four? The state finals would be held Thu/Fri/Sat November 5/6/7, a few weeks before the virus season returns. Two teams per division would end up playing 12 games.
Thoughts?
If they move the season up, Then you start to go into a few problems (at least from an Elder stand point).

1 If the season is moved up you get into a "hotter" time of year. I know games and practices are regulated by a heat index. I forget what that number is, but the sooner you start the season the early part of it has more risk of the heat index. I know you only proposed 1 week, but If it is more it could be worse.

2. What if Ohio does this and Indiana or Kentucky do not? So far this year Elder has a team from Indiana and Kentucky both on the schedule. If you shift the season around how does that affect the out of state games?

I feel like I am just been a wanker with those points, but I would rather be prepared. I like that you are thinking of other options.

Thoughts?
They could also shrink the playoffs to 4 teams per region instead of 8.

Legit football question but it pertains to a player who was playing at the college level. Did Tommy Kraemer get drafted into the NFL? I have been looking on line and have found nothing but what is mock draft status was, is he possibly staying at ND for another year? Sorry but I am just curious. Great kid, wishing him the best in whatever he does. I know he had been injured.

Legit football question but it pertains to a player who was playing at the college level. Did Tommy Kraemer get drafted into the NFL? I have been looking on line and have found nothing but what is mock draft status was, is he possibly staying at ND for another year? Sorry but I am just curious. Great kid, wishing him the best in whatever he does. I know he had been injured.
Kraemer graduated from ND this past weekend and due to his season ending injury against Michigan last year will return at RG this season.

https://www.onefootdown.com/2020/2/...ing-irish-eichenberg-kraemer-hainsey-banks-nd

If they move the season up, Then you start to go into a few problems (at least from an Elder stand point).
2. What if Ohio does this and Indiana or Kentucky do not? So far this year Elder has a team from Indiana and Kentucky both on the schedule. If you shift the season around how does that affect the out of state games?
If the OHSAA moves the start of the regular season up by one week and shortens it by two weeks, I think the OHSAA will acknowledge with deep regret that schools like Elder that have scheduled schools from out-of-state may not be able to play those games and will be in a tough spot, but ultimately those schools will have to scramble to fill their eight-game slate. I haven't looked at the rest of the GCL-S, but in this scenario two GCL-S teams could be forced to schedule a second non-league game, like Elder and Moeller did in 1991.

They could also shrink the playoffs to 4 teams per region instead of 8.

I included that in my original post; proof once again that great minds think alike!

If the OHSAA moves the start of the regular season up by one week and shortens it by two weeks, I think the OHSAA will acknowledge with deep regret that schools like Elder that have scheduled schools from out-of-state may not be able to play those games and will be in a tough spot, but ultimately those schools will have to scramble to fill their eight-game slate. I haven't looked at the rest of the GCL-S, but in this scenario two GCL-S teams could be forced to schedule a second non-league game, like Elder and Moeller did in 1991.

I included that in my original post; proof once again that great minds think alike!

That was the system before 1999. And I certainly wouldn’t want it to be permanent, but given the circumstances this would end the season 1 week earlier add to a possible earlier start, you could finish the season in early November.

I think every scenario is on the table. Just my opinion, the OSHAA doesn’t want to have to cancel with 2 weeks left in the tournament like they did in basketball. That was awful. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually shortened the regular season but expanded the playoffs. Expanding helps teams that can’t play their regular schedule like Elder. Try to finish before thanksgiving or before December when the next wave of “flu season “ hits.

I still don't think some of the public school teams will be signing up to play Elder, but it definitely gives Elder a better chance to make the playoffs every year. With the schedule Elder has to play, a 6-4/5-5 season had always put Elder on the bubble. Remember the year we needed Broward to win to make the playoffs?

A bye would also help considering week 10 has not been an easy game with Lasalle. Lasalle keeps getting transfers and top talent somehow, so they are not going anywhere any time soon. Not sure how they keep getting away with what the recruiting they do in football.

Here is how Elder has finished since 2000 with Division 1 being 4 regions and top 8 moving on to playoffs. An expanded 12 team playoff would have got Elder to the playoffs 3 additional times in 2006, 2010, and 2017. I'm sure if you asked the coaches/players/fans then, they all would have loved and opportunity in week 11.

2019 8-2 #4 seed
2018 6-4 #3 seed
2017 6-4 finished 9th in Harbins, would have played #8 Fairfield who lost to St. Xavier 40-12.
2016 6-4 #6 seed
2013-2015 Division 1 had 2 regions with 16 teams each region making the playoffs. Would have been top 8 each year in Region 4 had they done 4 regions.
2012 7-3 #4 seed
2011 2-8 finished 25th in Harbins
2010 4-5 finished 9th in Harbins, would have played #8 Wayne who upset #1 Middletown 21-0 and lost in state finals to St. Ed's 35-28.
2009 7-2 #4 seed
2008 9-1 #3 seed
2007 7-3 #8 seed
2006 6-4 #11 seed, would have played #6 Wayne who lost to Sycamore 24-19(lost to Colerain 28-0). Colerain lost to Davidson in state finals 10-6.
2005 4-5 finished 14th in Harbins
2004 7-3 #6 seed
2003 9-1 #1 seed won state
2002 9-1 #1 seed won state
2001 9-1 #3 seed
2000 6-3 #5 seed

Last edited:
Right now there are only 18 teams in region 4. So 12 of 18 teams will make the playoffs? Walnut hills would have made it in at 5-5 last yr.

I do like it that hopefully some of those other D1 schools will now play each other if a L doesn't mean as much.

To be fair, Elder has shy'd away from Harbin killing games themselves. Oak Hills and West High are two recent examples. This should help Elder find games. Will it be perfect? No. Personally I think they should go to only your best 8 Harbin values count that way every school as a couple opportunities to allow them to play almost anyone.

Some of the public School leagues are don't want to travel. I think if you play the same 9 schools year after year it would get boring. It really gets boring when about 6 of those schools suck on a regular basis.

Last year the playoffs would have looked like this

8 Mason vs 9 West Clermont plays 1 X
5 Lakota West vs 12 Walnut Hills plays 4 Elder
7 Hamilton vs 10 Lakota East plays 3 Colerain
6 Princeton vs 11 Sycamore plays 2 Fairfield

Because over 50% of Region 4 is in the GMC you are pretty much some rematches from the regular season.

Now let's look at the bottom 6 teams.

Western Hills and Oak Hills both seem to be bottom feeders. West Hi might get luck and get a couple of wins vs their league teams and sneak into the 9-12 section.

Moeller just had a bad year and will be back in the top 12 fast.

Leabanon just moved to the ECC so I see them doing better there than the GWOC.

Middletown can very easily swap places with the middle tear of the GMC and get in anywhere from 5-12 pretty easy.

Milford is the team I don't know about. Grippa is out there and turned them around one year and then last year they were back to being Milford. They could be another Leabanon.

I guess you just don't want to finish in the bottom 6 and you are fine.

I just found this article on South Chesterfield Life Christian https://www.richmond.com/sports/hig...cle_cc196b7c-d1b2-11e8-a1e5-1b9af5598df4.html

First think I noticed was that they only had 230 students in grades K-12. So I started doing the math. ~50% male so about 115 males. 13 grades so about 8.846 per grade males. In the HS level about 35.384 males in HS. I would be willing to be everyone in the HS does not play football so the team has less than 35 players. Which makes me think of Clearwater.

I also looked at their schedule and it is Louisville Trinity, DeMatha out of Maryland, IMG Academy, and St Frances out of Maryland.

Most of the players on the team have reclassified — the act of repeating a year of high school in order to graduate later and gain an edge on other players.
That also tells me a lot of this team might be 19.

Something about this team is telling me they are shady.

It's definitely a possibility the Life Christian Academy game does not happen due to travel concerns with the coronavirus. Elder should have a backup plan maybe with another school that has a week 8 game with an out of state opponent. Just in case the travel is not allowed to happen, then the teams could have a backup game already lined up.

You are correct though. Life Christian Academy does not provide much upside in Harbin points with them being a small school. It is a game though, and with the rumored week 9 Canadian team game being cancelled, it is a much needed game.

From C-bus channel 10's website:
"On May 26, training for all sports, including contact sports like football and lacrosse, can resume as long as safety protocols are followed. Husted clarified that tournaments, games and competitions for contact sports are still prohibited for now.
In addition, that skills training also includes the use of school buildings and facilities. "It’s also important to note that a practical component of making this happen will also include a change in the health order that will allow school buildings and facilities to be used for skills training,” Husted said.
Husted said the use of these facilities will be up to the school district."

It's definitely a possibility the Life Christian Academy game does not happen due to travel concerns with the coronavirus. Elder should have a backup plan maybe with another school that has a week 8 game with an out of state opponent. Just in case the travel is not allowed to happen, then the teams could have a backup game already lined up.

You are correct though. Life Christian Academy does not provide much upside in Harbin points with them being a small school. It is a game though, and with the rumored week 9 Canadian team game being cancelled, it is a much needed game.
I just looked at Ohio for Week 8 and I like the idea of having a "double" cancellation. But no one is D1 or D2 has an out of state game like we do that week.

I just looked at Ohio for Week 8 and I like the idea of having a "double" cancellation. But no one is D1 or D2 has an out of state game like we do that week.

Wow, that is disappointing. I think a couple things in favor of the VA team being able to travel to Ohio is 1. With a smaller roster size, it will be logistically easier for them to transport the players/coaches to Cincinnati and 2. They probably have a better chance of getting the okay to travel being a private school than a public school. Ultimately, the state of Virginia could put a ban of all schools travelling out of state though. Let's hope not.