Elder Football 2019

He plays tough, no question. However, he was listed at 5’5’’ 135 lbs last yr. Even if he’s grown to 5’7’’ 155 lbs, that’s still not big enough to play Varsity Safety. If he’s grown, with his speed, he could play Corner.

Size doesn’t matter to me at safety, maybe it does to the Coaches though. Safety, I look at do they know where there supposed to be and can they tackle even on a play where it may end up 1 on 1 in the open field.

Size doesn’t matter to me at safety, maybe it does to the Coaches though. Safety, I look at do they know where there supposed to be and can they tackle even on a play where it may end up 1 on 1 in the open field.
Size matters at every position. To what extent depends on the position and player.

Possibly, if he grew a few inches. His speed helps mitigate that size disadvantage.

Speed obviously helps but lots of Tall WRs these days. For someone possibly 5 ft 7 to cover a 6 ft or taller guy be a real challenge every week.

Speed obviously helps but lots of Tall WRs these days. For someone possibly 5 ft 7 to cover a 6 ft or taller guy be a real challenge every week.

That’s certainly a concern, but at Corner you can mask that disadvantage with speed and technique. Regardless, his biggest impact will be returning Kicks. I’m sure they don’t keep stats on kickoff returns for Frosh Football (before they were removed from the game), but almost every game it seemed like he had a big return on a kick off. I think he took at least 2 back for TDs.

Edit: I was reminded Cooper Johnson returned kicks. I thought both he and Sabato were kick returners. Can anyone verify?

Last edited:
I'm with you here Smarty. Solid tackler with wheels is all that's needed at FS. Play centerfield in coverage and close on backs if they get in the open field. Would much rather have a smaller safety than a smaller CB. Pboy aren't you always complaining about the shorter/slower CBs that Elder always runs out there - I know this kid isn't slow but just kind of funny hearing your position on that change in this instance.

I'm with you here Smarty. Solid tackler with wheels is all that's needed at FS. Play centerfield in coverage and close on backs if they get in the open field. Would much rather have a smaller safety than a smaller CB. Pboy aren't you always complaining about the shorter/slower CBs that Elder always runs out there - I know this kid isn't slow but just kind of funny hearing your position on that change in this instance.

If he were 5’8’’ 160 lbs, it wouldn’t be a discussion. However, 5’5’’ 135 lbs is too small to play any position at the Varsity level.

This underdog narrative some of you want to push is a bunch of bull sugar. You’ve got one of the biggest, if not biggest, OLs in the state. It’s ok to have some swagger and confidence. Go out and knock the other team’s d in the dirt.

If he were 5’8’’ 160 lbs, it wouldn’t be a discussion. However, 5’5’’ 135 lbs is too small to play any position at the Varsity level.

This underdog narrative some of you want to push is a bunch of bull sugar. You’ve got one of the biggest, if not biggest, OLs in the state. It’s ok to have some swagger and confidence. Go out and knock the other team’s d in the dirt.
No one's pushing an underdog narrative for the whole team. We're just not ruling out a kid from the position in which he's excelled just because of his size. Can't wait to watch this kid at safety

No one's pushing an underdog narrative for the whole team. We're just not ruling out a kid from the position in which he's excelled just because of his size. Can't wait to watch this kid at safety

I’m not sure you can say he excelled when this is his first yr at Safety. Maybe he will exceed expectations, but we don’t have any proof one way or the other.

What are the odds if Sabato makes any kind of impact this yr Paul Daughtery will write on article on him? I’d say it’s at least 90%. And those stories are fine, but I don’t think it should be the program’s identity. They’re not the football version of “Hoosiers”, they’re still a relatively big school with multiple D1 players. Having that kind of size and talent is a great thing, embrace it.

[
What are the odds if Sabato makes any kind of impact this yr Paul Daughtery will write on article on him? I’d say it’s at least 90%. And those stories are fine, but I don’t think it should be the program’s identity. They’re not the football version of “Hoosiers”, they’re still a relatively big school with multiple D1 players. Having that kind of size and talent is a great thing, embrace it.

Only if he can include at least two quotes that mention "I grew up dreaming of playing on this field" or "the Elder players were my heroes" or "I used to come to every game on Friday night".

That's never been written before either.

Who said the Football programs identity was Football version of “Hoosiers”? Hopefully he makes such an impact he can get an interview with Mike Dyer!!

Will the Offense continue to use the QB as the main runner this yr behind the big O Line?
There’s no way. Luebbe is much smaller than Bittner, he can’t take that many hits over the course of a season and stay healthy.

There’s no way. Luebbe is much smaller than Bittner, he can’t take that many hits over the course of a season and stay healthy.

Will the main RB be the kid who was RB towards the end of las season? I can’t think of his name,thought he was solid when they actually gave him the ball.

When Luebbe played last year, they didn't change much up when he was in there.

He is smaller, but has the dual-threat skills Ramsey loves. Hope he doesn't wear down, but you know he's going to want to use his speed.

Who cares if he does? It's nice pub for the player and the school. Someone wrote an article the other day about a kid from Moeller who's had 3 knee surgeries, but keeps coming back and how that's reflective of the Moeller program. That's not to say there aren't other tough programs out there. They're nice community driven stories, nothing more.

Who cares if he does? It's nice pub for the player and the school. Someone wrote an article the other day about a kid from Moeller who's had 3 knee surgeries, but keeps coming back and how that's reflective of the Moeller program. That's not to say there aren't other tough programs out there. They're nice community driven stories, nothing more.

But he is accurate in that the Elder stories just seem to be re-written with different names. They all have very similar story lines.

In saying that, the stories about the pole vaulter were very good because they stood out as being different (not from here, had to fit in, had success, continues his success). We need more of the public to hear more about that kind of stuff...not the same old "it's been my dream to play here" which we've heard 800 times.

Will the main RB be the kid who was RB towards the end of las season? I can’t think of his name,thought he was solid when they actually gave him the ball.
Catania. I’d still prefer Ramsey to be the main RB. He’s a 3 Down back, he’s got elite speed, but can run bw the Tackles, good hands out of the backfield and can be split out wide.

Last edited:
It’s tired hackneyed crap that’s been done to death. Elder shouldn’t be about being the underdog. Underdogs are programs that don’t have a history of success, occasionally overachieving. The constant need to deflect the actual amount of talent on the team in order to build up this narrative is old. Elder has a lot of talent, talent is important, more important than heart/toughness.

I agree. The I grew up going to the games and dreaming of going to school here is a Cincinnati thing, not an Elder thing. It's probably more at Elder I guess, but it's like that at a lot of schools in the area. Cincinnati is traditional like that. High School football might not be at its peak of the 2000s, but it's still big here.

The toughness thing really isn't an advantage anymore, because most all good teams are "tough" these days. Some years might have a little meaner/nastier group of players, but I don't think it's a huge difference year to year. That being said, nothing wrong with getting an article about the team or player though, whatever positive spin they have to put should be welcomed.

Elder is no underdog this year unless you're talking about not having the elite speed like some of the public school teams like Colerain. Elder's got a fast team I think, but not elite fast.

I agree. The I grew up going to the games and dreaming of going to school here is a Cincinnati thing, not an Elder thing. It's probably more at Elder I guess, but it's like that at a lot of schools in the area. Cincinnati is traditional like that. High School football might not be at its peak of the 2000s, but it's still big here.

The toughness thing really isn't an advantage anymore, because most all good teams are "tough" these days. Some years might have a little meaner/nastier group of players, but I don't think it's a huge difference year to year. That being said, nothing wrong with getting an article about the team or player though, whatever positive spin they have to put should be welcomed.

Elder is no underdog this year unless you're talking about not having the elite speed like some of the public school teams like Colerain. Elder's got a fast team I think, but not elite fast.
I’m not knocking the player, just the weak effort and played out narrative in all of these articles.

I’m not knocking the player, just the weak effort and played out narrative in all of these articles.

I understand.

There are 2 scrimmages to be played with players still competing for positions. The next 2 scrimmages will show a lot, and then the coaches will go with what they think is best heading into week 1 against Lincoln.

It’s tired hackneyed crap that’s been done to death. Elder shouldn’t be about being the underdog. Underdogs are programs that don’t have a history of success, occasionally overachieving. The constant need to deflect the actual amount of talent on the team in order to build up this narrative is old. Elder has a lot of talent, talent is important, more important than heart/toughness.
If you can't read a story like that and enjoy it for what it is and the recognition of a hard-working kid succeeding and Elder getting good pub, you're being pessimistic just to be pessimistic

If you can't read a story like that and enjoy it for what it is and the recognition of a hard-working kid succeeding and Elder getting good pub, you're being pessimistic just to be pessimistic
That’s not what I was saying. I get tired of the local media trying to make that Elder’s identity. Again, I feel the need to state, I’m not knocking this kid.