Elder Football 2019

Harp would’ve been the third, but I was told he broke his ankle the first play of the first 7v7 scrimmage. Had to have surgery to repair it.

I somehow overlooked this. WTF???

I assume this means he may miss some basketball?

I know you can't force these kids into one sport, but another prime reason to develop way more kids than they do, especially if the best athletes are playing multiple sports. They just don't have enough depth to recover from an injury to one of the classes best players.

I know you can't force these kids into one sport, but another prime reason to develop way more kids than they do, especially if the best athletes are playing multiple sports. They just don't have enough depth to recover from an injury to one of the classes best players.
He’ll be back for b-ball, but we’re not supposed to talk about specific injuries to players. That said, I’d be surprised if this isn’t the end of his football career. He’s almost 6’5” at this point and could be a D1 b-ball recruit.

Most people don't care. They are happy there are less kids because that means their kid has a better opportunity to make a team and play. I constantly hear people talking about how they're happy kids transfer or they don't recruit, because they know it opens up more opportunity for THEIR kid. More playing time, more exposure, and more roster spots.

Sports are as just as much about the social aspect of the kids and even the parents as they are about winning and making the program the best it can be.

Once gain, I don't understand how they can continue to operate this way.

I wouldn’t say “most”, but there’s definitely selfish parents out there. However, that’s not exclusive to Elder.

I think you have 4 faces of fans at Elder:

1) Parents - they want their kids on teams to enjoy the social aspect for 4 years. For most, it's about not just the experience for their kids, but for them as well. You also have the few that are PITAs thinking their kid should be playing more. I don't think most care as long as they're part of the fun. Winning is secondary - 10% strong
2) The die-hards - they are there ever week regardless. Elder can do no wrong in their eyes - 20% strong but shrinking as the die-hards age
3) The fair-weather - they want Elder to win but they show up when Elder is very strong - 40% and shrinking as there simply hasn't been major intrigue over the last 5-10 years
4) The disgruntled - the silent truth tellers, the head scratchers - they want Elder to win, go to games, but are questioning their support in light of reality - 30% and growing

Most people don't care. They are happy there are less kids because that means their kid has a better opportunity to make a team and play. I constantly hear people talking about how they're happy kids transfer or they don't recruit, because they know it opens up more opportunity for THEIR kid. More playing time, more exposure, and more roster spots.

Sports are as just as much about the social aspect of the kids and even the parents as they are about winning and making the program the best it can be.

Once gain, I don't understand how they can continue to operate this way.
I’ve never once heard a parent say that they hope someone transfers.

Well, I have.

I've also heard a parent say things to the likes of "if the kid in front of him gets hurt, my kid gets to play" - to say you haven't heard this is just dumb. Personally, I think it's pathetic, but it most certainly happens.

I've also heard parents say they hope their kid makes the team so he can hang out with the cool kids and the parents can be part of the cool parties. I'm not making this up. Again, pathetic, but absolutely part of the mindset, especially the moms.

The team loses and everyone is out smiling, taking pictures after the game, and making post-game drinking plans. Every week, win or lose. And all of that is after the pre-game tailgating party where moms try to out-dress each other. It's pathetic to watch. Win games.

You obviously run with a really negative crowd, as you have proven on here 1000 times.

Perhaps, but has there been much to be super positive about the last 10 years? But from what I hear in the stands, the same things we talk about are the same things the people in the stands are talking about.

The only people without gripes are those who have kids playing, and it doesn't really matter to them if they win or lose as long as their kid keeps playing. I get it, but most people in the stands don't have kids playing, and frankly, are tired of the same things every year.

Last edited:
Well, I have.

I've also heard a parent say things to the likes of "if the kid in front of him gets hurt, my kid gets to play" - to say you haven't heard this is just dumb. Personally, I think it's pathetic, but it most certainly happens.

I've also heard parents say they hope their kid makes the team so he can hang out with the cool kids and the parents can be part of the cool parties. I'm not making this up. Again, pathetic, but absolutely part of the mindset, especially the moms.

The team loses and everyone is out smiling, taking pictures after the game, and making post-game drinking plans. Every week, win or lose. And all of that is after the pre-game tailgating party where moms try to out-dress each other. It's pathetic to watch. Win games.

You have a couple stories and preach that like it's the gospel of all Elder families. They are called outliers and do not make up the whole.

I don't think anyone is happy to see Elder lose, but this is high school football. You move on with your life. It's a social event at Elder like a mini college tailgating/game atmosphere. Nothing wrong with that. At least people show up to the game.

He will miss JV Football. That's it. He was not going to take a varsity spot of Royer, Vollmer, Postel, Nieman, Larkins, Nevile, or Ramsey. He may have dressed but he was going to play JV. This injury doesn't affect Elder football or basketball at all unless his recovery is longer than advertised.

You have a couple stories and preach that like it's the gospel of all Elder families. They are called outliers and do not make up the whole.

I don't think anyone is happy to see Elder lose, but this is high school football. You move on with your life. It's a social event at Elder like a mini college tailgating/game atmosphere. Nothing wrong with that. At least people show up to the game.

It’s tough for me, bc I believe there’s pieces of what he’s saying that are correct. However, I don’t think it’s a widespread issue that he makes it out to be. I do think some people go a bit too far with the tailgating. A few pregame drinks are fine, but if you’re showing up hammered in the middle of the first Qtr, that’s an issue. Not that I don’t have my own issues, I’m sure everyone’s aware of the mess I got myself into last yr.

Wow! Tommy Touchdowns Dad is drunk by halftime and Billy Ballgames Mom is possibly showing to much skin! WTH does any of this have to do with Elder Football? Sounds like days of our lives not Elder Football!

He’s focusing on Basketball. It’s his life, but I find that decision questionable.

Smart kid. I'm guessing others will follow suit. There just isn't enough numbers in the lower levels in football.

And from a team perspective, the ceiling is higher in basketball over the next few years.

Smart kid. I'm guessing others will follow suit. There just isn't enough numbers in the lower levels in football.

And from a team perspective, the ceiling is higher in basketball over the next few years.

That shows how little you know about this kid and football in general.

The only people without gripes are those who have kids playing, and it doesn't really matter to them if they win or lose as long as their kid keeps playing. I get it, but most people in the stands don't have kids playing, and frankly, are tired of the same things every year.

I don't even have kids, let alone one at Elder playing and I have no gripes. So you're wrong. ?‍♂️

Yet nothing continues to happen. When does your recognition become a gripe? It's there for me.

It might take you longer, but it doesn't mean my gripes don't have merit.

People act like this is a new phenomenon. The seeds of this have been exposed for over a decade. At this point, it's all excuses to me. They've had plenty of time to adapt.

I don't expect it to be solved, but I don't see much change at all. That tells me they don't think it's a big problem.

So you know more about the kid than himself and his family? Leave him alone.

I don't make it my business to get in the business of 15 year olds. Let the kid develop.
I’m not saying anything bad about him. However, unlike you, I’ve talked to ppl that have coached him. His highest ceiling is in football, but if he wants to focus on b-ball, more power to him. It’s his life, and he has to do what’s best for him.

So you've talked to grade school coaches. LOL. I seriously doubt you've talked to any Elder coaches about him.

Everyone is a grade school coach.

Yet nothing continues to happen. When does your recognition become a gripe? It's there for me.

It might take you longer, but it doesn't mean my gripes don't have merit.

People act like this is a new phenomenon. The seeds of this have been exposed for over a decade. At this point, it's all excuses to me. They've had plenty of time to adapt.

I don't expect it to be solved, but I don't see much change at all. That tells me they don't think it's a big problem.

I never said your gripes don't have merit. ?‍♂️ Again, keep trying to get something to stick and maybe eventually it will.

I never said your gripes don't have merit. ?‍♂️ Again, keep trying to get something to stick and maybe eventually it will.

So when, if ever, does it turn into a gripe for you? That's fine if you just let all this slip of your back, but then don't say it's not a big deal to the people who think it could potentially sink the school, and they don't want that to happen.

Slowly, it's happening. Or you're one of those people who say it's not happening even after showing them the consistent drop in the last 20 years. They ignore it likes it's not real.

Everyone just says, well, that's the way it is now. The schools that have adapted aren't in this situation.

So when, if ever, does it turn into a gripe for you?

Never. I'd like to see Elder continue to be the school it was when I attended. If it doesn't, then so be it.

That's fine if you just let all this slip of your back, but then don't say it's not a big deal to the people who think it could potentially sink the school

I've never said it's not a big deal to the people who think it could sink the school.

3 times and still can't get anything to stick, maybe mix some glue with the mud next time you fling it against a wall.

Never. I'd like to see Elder continue to be the school it was when I attended. If it doesn't, then so be it.

I

Exactly. You're part of 90% of the Elder population that thinks change isn't needed. It's a horrible epidemic. This attitude is driving status quo, and it's killing them.

There are so many people brainwashed that everything is fine and the Elder way must be maintained, that they will never take the steps to elevate. The school is listening to its constituents, and it's preventing them from taking necessary steps to change in a new world of high school sports and competition.

There are 10% out there that truly understand this. But those 10% are shunned as people that are "against" Elder, but in reality, they have the ideas needed to move it forward. Unless something catastrophic happens, it won't change, and in 10 years, it will be down to 500-600, and everyone will blame Moeller, and Moeller will continue to laugh at us.