Elder Enrollment Strategy

They are all stupid. Schools spend too much time on pointless tests. Teachers can tell you who understands the material without these ridiculous tests. The bigger issue is, the test results don't account for absenteeism. So kids that miss tons of school are still expected to test and somehow pass. And ever since Ohio decriminalized truancy years back, attendance rates plummeted. That was one of many reasons I stopped teaching....the average days missed from my over 150 students was well over 25. And I'd be evaluated on my efficacy as a professional based off of students who miss on average over 15% of days. That didn't account for all the class periods missed for taking and retaking all these pointless tests.

As someone who has never voted for a Democrat, Bill Seitz is an embarrassment to the Westside. He’s proof that term limits are necessary. He’s also the clown that got the law passed to allow a sales tax increase to fund Metro bus expansion.

On this issue, Seitz is wrong as usual. Both public and private school students should take fewer standardized tests. These tests are the true reason almost all Ohio schools start in mid-August now. The schools need students back earlier to get them ready for the standardized tests. Even worse these tests only a few years ago became available to take on iPads. Previously they only worked on PCs so teachers had to spend time teaching young students (K-2) how to use a keyboard and mouse solely for the purpose of taking standardized tests.
I’ll say that I like Republicans that are not sucking at Trump’s tit. IMHO, I like Seitz and think he’s doing overall good work.

With that said, this bill is stupid. It’s dumb to pay for kids to go to private school with the logic that private does it better than public, but then direct a private school on how to run their organization. Very stupid…

I’ll say that I like Republicans that are not sucking at Trump’s tit. IMHO, I like Seitz and think he’s doing overall good work.

With that said, this bill is stupid. It’s dumb to pay for kids to go to private school with the logic that private does it better than public, but then direct a private school on how to run their organization. Very stupid…
In theory, I like it.... if you are getting state dollars for education, you should follow the exact rules as the publics, so proper comparisons can be made. But let's just get rid of these asinine tests. They are nothing but money grabs for the companies that produce the tests.

Put that money towards something actually useful. Get rid of the red-tape in education in general and hold students (and their families) accountable.

In theory, I like it.... if you are getting state dollars for education, you should follow the exact rules as the publics, so proper comparisons can be made. But let's just get rid of these asinine tests. They are nothing but money grabs for the companies that produce the tests.

Put that money towards something actually useful. Get rid of the red-tape in education in general and hold students (and their families) accountable.
No… manure!

If you (state of Ohio) want to say privates run it better then let them run it.

We all know how well government runs things, let the private schools do what they’ve been doing well for 100’s of years and don’t involve yourself.

They are all stupid.
My kid's private school uses iReady, which is utterly useless. It's a gigantic waste of time and I really wish the public schools didn't have to bother with the nonsense they do. Let the professionals develop standards for their curriculums and hold the students to those standards.

There is a bean-counter, "must measure ROI" mentality lately in society that is super counter-productive.

No… manure!

If you (state of Ohio) want to say privates run it better then let them run it.

We all know how well government runs things, let the private schools do what they’ve been doing well for 100’s of years and don’t involve yourself.
If we let the privates run it themselves without the government (vouchers) well over half would be closed down.

There is a bean-counter, "must measure ROI" mentality lately in society that is super counter-productive.
I love measuring ROI; but there are better ways of doing it than some strange arbitrary test when there is zero in it for the clientele (students and families). What's in it for them.

I really believe we need to diversify our schools greatly in the programs they offer. 95% of schools offer just about the same classes taught the same way. Venture out and make yourself stand out in the marketplace by offering something that nobody else does. SCPA has the arts, Great Oaks and Butler Tech have vocations, but there's many more types of school that should exist to focus kids towards something useful and tangible. Where's the tech school focused on coding, AI, and computer hardware? Where's the entrepreneurial school? What about the service industry school (Service jobs account for the largest aspect of our economy). What about the school geared towards those interested in the rapidly growing medical industry? This is what we should be doing as a society, and we don't demand it for some reason. Instead it's all about these weird benchmarks that don't really do a good job of measuring what they are supposed to measure.

You’re missing the point.

Vouchers exists because of failing public schools. If the government is asking the private schools for help what sense does it make for the government to then say “do it my way.” It’s idiotic logic
What makes a public school failing?

I love measuring ROI; but there are better ways of doing it than some strange arbitrary test when there is zero in it for the clientele (students and families). What's in it for them.

I really believe we need to diversify our schools greatly in the programs they offer. 95% of schools offer just about the same classes taught the same way. Venture out and make yourself stand out in the marketplace by offering something that nobody else does. SCPA has the arts, Great Oaks and Butler Tech have vocations, but there's many more types of school that should exist to focus kids towards something useful and tangible. Where's the tech school focused on coding, AI, and computer hardware? Where's the entrepreneurial school? What about the service industry school (Service jobs account for the largest aspect of our economy). What about the school geared towards those interested in the rapidly growing medical industry? This is what we should be doing as a society, and we don't demand it for some reason. Instead it's all about these weird benchmarks that don't really do a good job of measuring what they are supposed to measure.
I really don't disagree with any of that. That said — we've got to stop dumping on the humanities aspect of education. We have a real problem with civics/social studies/history cognition and intellect in this country, and probably the world. Science, math and business are great, but totally useless if you're socially inept and have no basic understanding of humanity.

For example, today is the 80th anniversary of one of the most important days in human history. How many have no idea?

I really don't disagree with any of that. That said — we've got to stop dumping on the humanities aspect of education. We have a real problem with civics/social studies/history cognition and intellect in this country, and probably the world. Science, math and business are great, but totally useless if you're socially inept and have no basic understanding of humanity.

For example, today is the 80th anniversary of one of the most important days in human history. How many have no idea?
Couldn't agree more. I was returning from my family vacation on Saturday and we saw some of the few remaining D-Day soldiers boarding a flight (in Atlanta) to Normandy for their honor flights. It brought tears to everyone's eyes watching them. The one that really got me was the one that had nobody to accompany him, he said all his friends had passed and he didn't have any family. But he was in fantastic spirits and said he wouldn't let that keep him from going on his honor flight. Talk about inspirational. We need more people with that kind of mindset.

Evidence that public schools have failed America’s children. You are 100% correct.
So privates have failed too since a significant portion of our population, especially in the Cincy area are educated by private schools, and they still don't have any idea.

That's dumb metric to decide if a school if failing or not.

Evidence that public schools have failed America’s children. You are 100% correct.

Surprised it was sponsored by a GOP lawmaker.
Not to surprising. They know the lawsuits are coming and trying to get ahead of it on their terms . Look, its gaining on a half million a year of Ohio taxpayers money and eventually there will be someone demanding accountability. It is my belief that it will go much much deeper than simple test scores. I surely don’t blame Elder(or any school) for accepting 2/3 million a year in taxpayers money but your NOT PRIVATE anymore.
I also realize there are poorly run pubs all over America but I think most do an outstanding job with the rules they must abide by. If Elder ever has to abide by even half of those rules it wont be the same Elder my grandfather, my dad, and I attended.

Not to surprising. They know the lawsuits are coming and trying to get ahead of it on their terms . Look, its gaining on a half million a year of Ohio taxpayers money and eventually there will be someone demanding accountability. It is my belief that it will go much much deeper than simple test scores. I surely don’t blame Elder(or any school) for accepting 2/3 million a year in taxpayers money but your NOT PRIVATE anymore.
I also realize there are poorly run pubs all over America but I think most do an outstanding job with the rules they must abide by. If Elder ever has to abide by even half of those rules it wont be the same Elder my grandfather, my dad, and I attended.
As long as it's in the budget through 2029. :)

Lack of adult guidance from parents/guardians is my vote. Would this be possible to continue if the child went private. Probably not. It’s not the kids necessarily. Adults who are in charge of kids are to blame.
I agree with the lack of adult guidance. It still continues in private school, especially those that are struggling because they can't afford to kick anyone out. You also see it with the families of big donors, they put up with the bullcrap to keep the money flowing.

As someone who's taught in suburban, urban, and private schools, I can tell you they are all very similar in many ways.

There are 4 going to Elder from Ignatius, down from 22

From the Facebook page of St. Ignatius in Monfort Heights, 5 are going to Elder, 16 to St. X, and 24 to LaSalle. A few more boys to Summit and Roger Bacon.

From the page of St. James in White Oak, 4 are going to Elder, 11 to St. X, 13 to LaSalle. A couple more to Moeller and Roger Bacon

So nine for Elder from those two non-traditional sources -- not bad by any means but more room for improvement on their end

Facebook post from Barrett Cohen says their Class of 2028 has 250 students, including from St. Antoninus (Covedale), St. Jude (Bridgetown), James N. Gamble Montessori (Westwood), Rapid Run Middle (Delhi), St. James (White Oak), Colerain, St. John the Baptist Dry Ridge -- in addition to their usual East side & Northern suburb grade schools. Other Catholic and public schools listed that are near St. X. This is somewhat unprecedented territory for Moeller to have all that within just one class. Probably most of them applied to Elder too

So the latest enrollment numbers for Class of 2028 based on this thread seem to be-
Elder: 254 (trending up)
Moeller: 250 (trending up)
St. Xavier: 375 (trending mildly down)
LaSalle: unknown, had 110 for Class of 2027. Will probably be up due to the boost at St. Ignatius

Last edited:
A member of the long blue line was tased in the outfield at GABP Tuesday night.
He looks like a regard, but it’s hardly the most egregious offense. TBH, it would’ve been far worse if he drove home after the game. He made an a** out of himself, but he didn’t endanger anyone’s life.

He looks like a regard, but it’s hardly the most egregious offense. TBH, it would’ve been far worse if he drove home after the game. He made an a** out of himself, but he didn’t endanger anyone’s life.
If I was a player, I'd think it was pretty serious. But yeah, nit that big a deal historically. I did read someone mention that type of thing is a bit more scary for the folks on the field given more common gambling now.

Facebook post from Barrett Cohen says their Class of 2028 has 250 students, including from St. Antoninus (Covedale), St. Jude (Bridgetown), James N. Gamble Montessori (Westwood), Rapid Run Middle (Delhi), St. James (White Oak), Colerain, St. John the Baptist Dry Ridge -- in addition to their usual East side & Northern suburb grade schools. Other Catholic and public schools listed that are near St. X. This is somewhat unprecedented territory for Moeller to have all that within just one class. Probably most of them applied to Elder too

So the latest enrollment numbers for Class of 2028 based on this thread seem to be-
LaSalle: unknown, had 110 for Class of 2027. Will probably be up due to the boost at St. Ignatius
Everyone should have a boost due to EdChoice too.

So basically what this post and your previous post seem to show is that geographical location continues to play a major part in where kids go. Personally, I don’t like the idea of my teenager driving on 71 during morning rush hour, but everyone has their reasons

So basically what this post and your previous post seem to show is that geographical location continues to play a major part in where kids go. Personally, I don’t like the idea of my teenager driving on 71 during morning rush hour, but everyone has their reasons
Oh it does, just saying Moeller seems to be branching out slightly more from the East side and Northern suburbs/exurbs. Their Class of 2028 will have half a dozen or more kids from various parts of the Westside choosing to make that commute. I doubt it was ever that many for one class

Oh it does, just saying Moeller seems to be branching out slightly more from the East side and Northern suburbs/exurbs. Their Class of 2028 will have half a dozen or more kids from various parts of the Westside choosing to make that commute. I doubt it was ever that many for one class
They had several in a class a few years ago. Obviously, they were all good athletes/basketball players. I’m assuming the ones from Jude and Antoninus are not. No clue about the ones from Rapid Run or St James.