Elder Basketball 2020-2021

Elder needs to go big when they can - multiple lineups with at least two or three bigs on the floor at a time, specifically Larkins/Nieman/Browne because you can still keep the floor spread with some shooting.

Elder needs to go big when they can - multiple lineups with at least two or three bigs on the floor at a time, specifically Larkins/Nieman/Browne because you can still keep the floor spread with some shooting.

I agree that this is the key. Browne is kind of like Elder’s secret weapon and will need him to win this game. He will stretch the floor but also can help play rim protector with Larkins and take some pressure off of Larkins and ensure he’s not in foul trouble.

And Schneider is a tough guy to guard. He’s got some size but plays bigger than he is. He’s capable on the perimeter and in the paint and Lovette is by far the most athletic kid on the floor.

LaSalle has a pretty big drop off after their 3rd guy. Can’t let the two studs beat you.

Add Busam in there too.

Add Busam in there too.
Busam is another athletic big, but he doesn't have as strong of a perimeter game as Nieman and Browne, but I agree. He needs to be in that rotation and hell give Kirch some minutes too. Elder is a much bigger team than LaSalle and they need to use that size. Get inside early, get some guys in foul trouble and as the game wears on, that'll open up the inside-out 3s for the shooters.

I agree. We need to run, press and go big. Lasalle only plays 6 kids. They have no size. Both games we let them dictate the tempo and the lineups. We need to play the whole roster, play two or three big guys together and make them adjust to us. We will wear them out and probably foul out their big guys.

Hearing rumors... Tim Austing to Sycamore as their next basketball coach.
Not a surprise. Good for him.

With the proximity to Moeller (and X, Mason, etc.) I'm not sure how successful long-term anyone can be at Sycamore but Austing is a great coach. I hope Elder hasn't burned to many bridges and he considers taking over for Joe some day soon.

Not a surprise. Good for him.

With the proximity to Moeller (and X, Mason, etc.) I'm not sure how successful long-term anyone can be at Sycamore but Austing is a great coach. I hope Elder hasn't burned to many bridges and he considers taking over for Joe some day soon.

If true Austing to Sycamore would be good for Elder fans hoping he coaches Elder one day. He hasn't been a head coach in a long time, him taking this job could lead to Elder. Although I still think/hope Ryan Flemming gets Elder when JS hangs it up.

If true Austing to Sycamore would be good for Elder fans hoping he coaches Elder one day. He hasn't been a head coach in a long time, him taking this job could lead to Elder. Although I still think/hope Ryan Flemming gets Elder when JS hangs it up.
Will he be teaching at Sycamore? Elder can’t match that salary. I don’t think JS is retiring anytime soon, which will actually give Fleming more time to get acclimated to being a HC. If the job were open after this year, he’d be too green. I’m sure he’s mature for being 30, but running a GCL Program is a massive under taking.

Last edited:
I would venture to guess it comes with a teaching or administration job, and if it does, I would imagine it would be hard for Elder to ever pull him away from that.

But yes, good for him if true - local high school basketball is better with him involved.

I'd guess no. He has been teaching at Fairfield for 20 years.
And Elder (or any other Catholic school) wouldn’t be able to match those benefits. I know Elder has had coaches teach at other schools, but those schools have been in fairly close proximity to Elder.

I have to ask, if you keep these three on the floor all the time (Larkins/Browne/Nieman) who do you sit?

I have to ask, if you keep these three on the floor all the time (Larkins/Browne/Nieman) who do you sit?
You won’t see all 3 on the floor at the same time, but at least one should be on the court at all times. And Busam is really the 3rd Big Man, Nieman is more of a perimeter player

I never said all the time. I said when they can. I don't think they need to do anything drastic with the starting lineup, but if you can get 1-3 minutes with those three, one of Keller/Walker and one of Keehan/Harp, I think that would work well against LS and their lack of size.

You won’t see all 3 on the floor at the same time, but at least one should be on the court at all times. And Busam is really the 3rd Big Man, Nieman is more of a perimeter player
But Nieman has size and can shoot. Browne has size and can shoot. Larkins can play well from the elbows in. Need to see more 2-big lineups and get a few minutes each half with those 3 specifically in my opinion.

But Nieman has size and can shoot. Browne has size and can shoot. Larkins can play well from the elbows in. Need to see more 2-big lineups and get a few minutes each half with those 3 specifically in my opinion.
They really don’t need outside shooting from them. The first game, Larkins put up 26, nobody can guard him in the post. It just so happened, Lovett also had 20+ points.

Don’t have to do it the whole game but have to commit to it for stretches. Slide Harp to 3 and then whatever two bigs are playing well.
we can’t let them dictate how the game is played again. They want a 40-50 point game. We need to push it to60-70.

They really don’t need outside shooting from them. The first game, Larkins put up 26, nobody can guard him in the post. It just so happened, Lovett also had 20+ points.
You're missing the point. It's about spacing and being able to hurt them in the post with multiple bigs.

Don’t have to do it the whole game but have to commit to it for stretches. Slide Harp to 3 and then whatever two bigs are playing well.
we can’t let them dictate how the game is played again. They want a 40-50 point game. We need to push it to60-70.
This is what I'm talking about. Get it inside early, get yourselves in the bonus early. Push this score into the 60s-70s. If they do that it won't be that close, probably an 8-12 point win. If they allow it to be a GCL slugfest 40s-50s game, then LaSalle will be in it with the chance for the upset.

25-19 E at half. Pretty awful game all around. Officials need to get a grip on the game. Too many ticky tack fouls, which left LS in big time Foul trouble.

It was an ugly game, but Elder did what they had to do to keep LS from ever getting close in the 2nd half. Keller and Larkins hit some big shots that really killed any momentum LS had in the 2nd half.

LS fans were upset with the officiating and they had a point. If you’re wondering how bad it was, it looked like a normal game up at UD where a Dayton area school plays a Cincinnati area school. Way too many ticky tack fouls for a game of this magnitude. And I hate bashing officials bc it really is a thankless job, but this crew was way to overzealous this afternoon.

I'd guess no. He has been teaching at Fairfield for 20 years.

Austing if he becomes Sycamore Basketball Head Coach and not in the building in some capacity it would not make any sense to leave Fairfield. Public School Retirement has something to do with yrs (3-5) of highest pay is what that specific persons Retirement pay amount would be. Sycamore I believe pays pretty well. Sure Austing also had or will have some type of discussion with Coach Dattilo.

Great win for Elder! Didn’t think they could win more than 3 in the Tournament. Now honestly looking/wanting another game against Moeller.

Pat Kelsey and Winthrop are 22-1, playing for an NCAA Bid tomorrow in the Big South Title game v Campbell. If they win, there’s going to be a 3-5 seeded team that’s very nervous about drawing them.