Elder Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved here for college. Stuck around because I liked the community feel of Cincinnati. I had friends that went to Elder and through hanging out with them I got a taste of it and thought it was pretty cool.

Over the years, my opinion is that athletics on the westside, both at the grade school and high school level, is driven alot by long-time relationships and friends taking care of each other rather than truly finding the best players. Like minded people who will do whatever it takes to take care of their own. I've seen it first hand mostly with baseball, and in other instances with schools, but others have told me basketball can be the same way. To be honest, what I've heard seems to be backed up by what I see. That's all I'm saying.

Yes, I know this exists everywhere, but it's completely over the top here.
It actually isn’t. Would love to hear an actual example of it instead of these generalities you always speak of.

Elder’s talent is young and inexperienced right now. It’s not a surprise where they are.
Bingo. Their rotation includes the following:
Seniors - Cluxton, Kandra, Luebbe
Juniors - Keehan, Larkins, Miller, Nieman, Walker
Sophomores - Harp, Keller

Of the guys listed above, only 5 saw time on Varsity last year - the three seniors, Walker and Keehan. They were also a heavy senior team last season with Beck, Bittner, Byrne - Merz saw time but he is no longer with the team. If you can't see why the record isn't better then you're expectations were/are too high.

LOL - "they were a senior heavy team last season with Beck, Bittner, Byrne" - that's 3 seniors and they were "senior heavy"

This year's team has 3 seniors who play alot (4 seniors total) (all who have played 4 years of basketball) and they are "inexperienced". LOL you can't make this stuff up.

You people will literally say anything to fit agendas. LOL I have to admit this one may be the best of all.

LOL - "they were a senior heavy team last season with Beck, Bittner, Byrne" - that's 3 seniors and they were "senior heavy"

This year's team has 3 seniors who play alot (4 seniors total) (all who have played 4 years of basketball) and they are "inexperienced". LOL you can't make this stuff up.

You people will literally say anything to fit agendas. LOL I have to admit this one may be the best of all.
The players with the most upside talent are inexperienced. You’re pretty dumb.

Btw, Larkins is starting to get some decent D1 football offers. He has a much more important role on the basketball team than Royer did last year. Is there any concern he may not return play basketball his senior year?

I forgot Wall and Holmes as seniors, also forgot to include Royer who no longer plays, the other Byrne who no longer plays, Keyes who no longer plays.

That's 8 rotation players gone from last year's team. So maybe I was off with my senior heavy comment, but the point still stands, they are inexperienced this year.

The only school that is pulling in significantly better talent is Moeller. This narrative that all of these great athletes are keeping Elder basketball down is complete bullsh*t. The schools that have been ahead of them over the past 10-15 years have kids just like Elder does. You want to talk about a narrative, this is biggest one perpetuated by the multi-sport families to ensure their proper pick of the litter.
Again, there is no school that has been "ahead of Elder over the past 10-15" years Trey! It's an ebb and flow with high's hi
We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think it's BS that people say all of these other teams have so much more talent than Elder. I don't see it. Moeller absolutely does, and the prep schools they played absolutely do, but every other school is just like Elder is terms of what they have to work with.
Correct Trey, "every other school just like Elder in terms of what they have to work with (talent)" yet Elder always seems to always be either a high seed or a lower seed that nobody wants to play! So you kind of just answered your own question that Elder does well with the talent they have from feeder schools!

I forgot Wall and Holmes as seniors, also forgot to include Royer who no longer plays, the other Byrne who no longer plays, Keyes who no longer plays.

That's 8 rotation players gone from last year's team. So maybe I was off with my senior heavy comment, but the point still stands, they are inexperienced this year.
Now he’s going to pivot to why didn’t Elder just “develop” replacements once their best athletes dropped basketball. Cause it’s that easy, right? Merry-go-round.

Great athlete does not always equal great basketball player.

It could, but it's not a given.

In one breath you talk about all of these great athletes that "have" to play basketball, but in the very next breath say that talent is the issue they're mediocre. LOL!!!!!!! So frickin funny LOL!!!!!

LOL - seriously, it's a constant contradiction to fit literally each different post. It's hilarious LOL!!!!

Great athlete does not always equal great basketball player.

It could, but it's not a given.

In one breath you talk about all of these great athletes that "have" to play basketball, but in the very next breath say that talent is the issue they're mediocre. LOL!!!!!!! So frickin funny LOL!!!!!

LOL - seriously, it's a constant contradiction to fit literally each different post. It's hilarious LOL!!!!
It’s not a contradiction at all. Those kids are the best basketball players. But, LOL, I guess.

Just curious, would you agree Larkins is the most talented post player at Elder? I mean, I don’t know if he’d skip basketball next year, but he’s getting D1 football offers. Is your position Elder should easily be able to replace him with a non-footbball playing student?

Last edited:
Just curious, would you agree Larkins is the most talented post player at Elder? I mean, I don’t know if he’d skip basketball next year, but he’s getting D1 football offers. Is your position Elder should easily be able to replace him with a non-footbball plying student?

Not at all. He's a skilled basketball player.

But if they were to have trained 3-4 other big men that weren't focused on multiple sports since the time they were in 7th grade, would there be other alternatives? Yes.

You can't just pull a kid out of school and think he's going to be a stud basketball players. That's just stupid and what Mad Dog wants you to believe I mean.

Mad Dog doesn't want them to develop those 3-4 other kids, because he knows if those kids are training for basketball year-round, they're going to take his kids spot eventually.

Not at all. He's a skilled basketball player.

But if they were to have trained 3-4 other big men that weren't focused on multiple sports since the time they were in 7th grade, would there be other alternatives? Yes.
Would there? You think there are 3-4 potential big men who don’t play football that could step in for Larkins if only they ran this fairy tale off season bootcamp? Can you name a couple?

Bingo. Their rotation includes the following:
Seniors - Cluxton, Kandra, Luebbe
Juniors - Keehan, Larkins, Miller, Nieman, Walker
Sophomores - Harp, Keller

Of the guys listed above, only 5 saw time on Varsity last year - the three seniors, Walker and Keehan. They were also a heavy senior team last season with Beck, Bittner, Byrne - Merz saw time but he is no longer with the team. If you can't see why the record isn't better then you're expectations were/are too high.

This is kinda funny, especially when you look at other rosters across the city. You keep ragging on these two guys on here, but they actually point out a lot of what you guys continuously do with all the excuses. Just saying.

This is kinda funny, especially when you look at other rosters across the city. You keep ragging on these two guys on here, but they actually point out a lot of what you guys continuously do with all the excuses. Just saying.
Speaks to a general lack of talent over the last couple years. This is so stupid, as Elder was one of the best teams in the city 2014 through 2017, when they had a good deal of talent. When Joe has talent, he wins.

Would there? You think there are 3-4 potential big men who don’t play football that could step in for Larkins if only they ran this fairy tale off season bootcamp? Can you name a couple?

I'm giving you a hypothetical if more kids were developed. I'm not going to be able to name a kid because I don't know of any other kids not on the basketball team that trained fro basketball. Your question back to me is just as stupid. Would you like me to invent a hypothetical player?

Like I said, it's like a disorder with alot of Elder people. It's ok to admit that maybe you have some improving to do in areas.

I'm convinced - the people that push so hard against change are the ones that want to keep the status quo for the benefit of themselves. It's more than obvious to me.

I'm giving you a hypothetical if more kids were developed. I'm not going to be able to name a kid because I don't know of any other kids not on the basketball team that trained fro basketball. Your question back to me is just as stupid.
The hypothetical is stupid as it assumes there are a bunch of tall potential post players who also don’t play football that are being ignored. If you can’t name any, it’s just a ridiculous conversation based on an unfounded assumption.

There are 700 other kids in the school, most of which probably played basketball on their grade school's best teams. Don't tell me you can't develop kids into serviceable basketball players over the course of 3-4 years before they reach varsity. That is complete and utter bullsh*t. There is simply ZERO reason to be held hostage by football players for your basketball program to ramp up every year. That is in no way saying football players shouldn't play basketball if they are capable and skilled basketball players.

And I'm not talking about the kids that can't walk and chew gum.

This narrative of all of these amazing athletes landing at other schools and Elder getting the leftovers and runt of the litter is also bullsh*t. For the most part, expect for teams like Moeller, the kids are pretty much the same talent wise. In fact, I'd argue that the private Catholic school gets much more talent. That has shown to be true as well.

There are 700 other kids in the school, most of which probably played basketball on their grade school's best teams. Don't tell me you can't develop kids into serviceable basketball players over the course of 3-4 years before they reach varsity. That is complete and utter bullsh*t. There is simply ZERO reason to be held hostage by football players for your basketball program to ramp up every year. That is in no way saying football players shouldn't play basketball if they are capable and skilled basketball players.

And I'm not talking about the kids that can't walk and chew gum.
Lol, okay. You’re a . I think you really believe this. That’s like saying if UC lost Tre Scott, Brannen should have developed 4-5 replacements from the general student body of 30,000 because a lot of those kids probably started on high school basketball teams.

I never said they were deficient in talent, you did. I said the talent level in the school is perfectly fine with the right developmental push. My issue is with development and change, not talent.

I thought they had very good teams 1 or 2 of those years. Teams that should have made much deeper runs in the tournament.

I never said they were deficient in talent, you did. I said the talent level in the school is perfectly fine with the right developmental push. My issue is with development and change, not talent.

I thought they had very good teams 1 or 2 of those years. Teams that should have made much deeper runs in the tournament.
So were they deficient in development during 2014 through 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.