Elder Baseball State Titles

MoeDude

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
When you can gather again I think a big banquet honoring all of the Baseball State Title teams from Elder would be a cool fund raiser for you guys. I might even try to attend that. What would be cool is if there is anyone still alive from the early years to have them give a brief talk about "the good 'ole days" (y)
I've always admired that record of winning a state title in every decade beginning in the 1940s I believe. What a shame that came to an end from 2010-2019.

Panther State Baseball Titles

Last edited:

I always sort of laugh when people say Elder is a football school. Elder has 12 titles in baseball and only 2 in football.

Moeller wins the football title debate, but I believe they put more folks in to MLB than any other GCL school

I always sort of laugh when people say Elder is a football school. Elder has 12 titles in baseball and only 2 in football.

Moeller wins the football title debate, but I believe they put more folks in to MLB than any other GCL school
Yea Coach Cameron built quite a program and Coach Held kept it going. When I was growing up though, The West Side was known for good baseball. I'm not sure if it was the Pete Rose thing or not but the Westside of Cincinnati seem to always have good baseball and tradition.

30-50 years ago, baseball was king on the Westside. It was the favorite sport of most, everyone played, and the competition was stellar.

it died because people slowly moved away from the Westside

The Westside has a number of Schools that have or had very solid Baseball programs. Elder,Western Hills,Oak Hills and LaSalle. Western Hills Baseball will probably never be the same as it once was.

30-50 years ago, baseball was king on the Westside. It was the favorite sport of most, everyone played, and the competition was stellar.

it died because people slowly moved away from the Westside
Yea I looked at the state titles on the OHSAA website and besides Elder's 12 state titles over 62 years West Hi has 5 state titles from 1948 through 1986. I believe Oak Hills only had one state title in 1980. You could also throw Taylor in there with 2 in 1949 and 1962 in the smaller school division. I think baseball all over Cincinnati used be a big thing but the Westside sure has a rich history of championships. Didn't Storm Club play in the White Oak during summer ball? I believe they have some National Titles to their claim. Reading used to have a college dominated roster called Tatman Taxi that played some really good ball with Koenig Park as their home field. I remember seeing them them play quite often. My brother actually played for them a couple years in the early 70's.

There used to be quite the electricity around baseball. It’s a shame it is relatively non existent anymore. Parks are completely empty or non existent. Where other areas of the city developed their zip codes, the Westside kind of stood pat. Very little housing boom, very little economic development, people kind of went with the flow. In addition, the city started pushing section 8 into the area, and then the flight really began. It’s really not about baseball, it’s about economics.

I have no doubt there would still be fantastic baseball talent if all that didn’t happen. It’s just that talent is living elsewhere. Saturday mornings in the spring used to be a parade type atmosphere. So much fun and great baseball.

Not as many kids play baseball as in prior days. Lacrosse and volleyball now also compete for kids at that time of the year.
I've also heard many kids say its boring. You tube, cell phones, x box etc all compete for kids attention these days.

There are certain High schools that have a hard time even fielding a hs team. They may only have one team and not even carry a jv or freshman team. That should tell you something right there.

Select baseball also has been a death nail for a wide excitement for baseball. The exodus of the best baseball players consolidated into a few teams was a huge dagger. When you start to lose your best players, the rest follow.
It’s great for the kids that make these teams, but it kills the sport. Luckily for basketball most kids play both, otherwise you’d see the same scenario.

The Westside has a number of Schools that have or had very solid Baseball programs. Elder,Western Hills,Oak Hills and LaSalle. Western Hills Baseball will probably never be the same as it once was.
Taylor has two state baseball titles. They have won league titles in the CHL four years running.