Elder Baseball 2021

The Freshman played today against Moe. Not sure why Jv and Varsity didn't play? Yes Omar three sophs in the starting lineup yesterday.

E wins 3-2 over CCD. It’s still hard to get a read on this team Bc it’s so early. My initial thoughts are they’re very good at manufacturing runs, and they have a few kids who can hit with power, particularly Vaughn. The Pitching Staff looks ok with Grimmelsman and Eckstein as their top 2. Both would be solid 2 or 3 guys in the rotation but they don’t have a true Ace. Relief Pitching is spotty at times. Flaherty looks to be their best guy out of the pen and possibly their 3rd starter.

This Team has Won some close ones already. I think that really helps overall Team confidence in Baseball. Also curious how Monday’s Game will go.

Wow! Elder knows, hard to win any Baseball Game allowing 12 Runs. Keep the faith and get em tomorrow!
Baseball is like that, especially at the HS level where games can just snowball. Would it shock anyone if Moeller won the next game vs Elder? Not really.

Hopefully, Elder didn’t throw Grimmelsman, bc they get an unbeaten Badin tomorrow. Badin has scored at least 10 runs in all of their games.

Last edited:
Baseball is like that, especially at the HS level where games can just snowball. Would it shock anyone if Moeller won the next game vs Elder? Not really.

Hopefully, Elder didn’t throw Grimmelsman, bc they get an unbeaten Badin tomorrow. Badin has scored at least 10 runs in all of their games.
They had Eckstein on the bump. He should have escaped the first inning with no runs. A mental error on a bunt cost him the out to get him out of it. Later that inning, he gave up a 3-run homer over the very shallow fences.
Jansen followed Eckstein. It looked like he missed his spots a few too many times. Finley followed Jansen and looked like a promising young pitcher, but his outing was cut short by a nasty looking injury. Looked like the elbow. Flaherty came in after that and finished the inning swiftly.

Badin has a great Baseball program. Will be a tough game for both Teams. I don’t think tomorrow either Team will Score more than 5 Runs.

I was told by someone else, Elder won 9-2 today. It’s on Maxpreps, but haven’t seen confirmation anywhere else.

Edit: it’s confirmed on the GCL website. Good bounce back win. It’s been a wild 3 days with 2 blowout wins bookending a blowout loss.

Elder allowed Lakota West to jump out to a 4-0 lead after one half inning, but the Panthers worked their way back to tie the game at 4 after 5 innings before adding an additional 5 runs in the bottom of the sixth. Final score Elder 9 Lakota West 5.

How are the Panthers looking this year in the Infield?

I’d say the infield looks pretty good so far. Take away Cov Cath Game and today’s game the Elder Pitching and D is only allowing 1-2 Runs a Game. According to GCL site through 6 Games Elder has the Highest Fielding % in the League.

Weber at 3b
Ward at ss
Hilton 2b
!st has rotated a little bit with Gutzwiler, Grimmelsman
Vaughn has been great at C

Vaughn is special. I know he checks off all of the analytics boxes (bat speed, exit velocity, Pop Time behind the plate) but beyond that he just looks the part. I’ve watched 3-4 games steamed, and I don’t think I’ve seen him strike out swinging. He makes contact every single at bat. On Defense, I don’t think I’ve seen him give up a Passed Ball.

Elder allowed Lakota West to jump out to a 4-0 lead after one half inning, but the Panthers worked their way back to tie the game at 4 after 5 innings before adding an additional 5 runs in the bottom of the sixth. Final score Elder 9 Lakota West 5.

West fell apart in the 6th. I think Elder scored on at least 3 Passed Balls/Wild Pitches. At a certain point I felt kinda bad, bc clearly either the Pitcher or Catcher needed to be pulled, but both finished the Inning.

My biggest concern for Elder is they don’t have a solid #2 Starter at this point. Flaherty has been their best Reliever, but I’m not sure if he’ll transition into a Starter.

Im pretty sure Keehan can pitch. Wondering if they are still building his arm up following a late start from basketball?