Elder Baseball 2020

Yeah, they've only had 6 weeks of being closed to prepare to reopen with strict guidelines.

A teacher can teach from a 6 foot difference.

Can the 35 kids in a class be seated 6ft apart in every classroom? What happens to Billy Bob when he shows up for School and he “forgot his mask?” What’s your Plan for conducting gym class? Some of the larger school districts have 4 or 5 lunches already. How is the lunchroom handled? Again, most districts are not set up/prepared to handle these new guidelines that’s why they will open back up in the fall.

Can the 35 kids in a class be seated 6ft apart in every classroom? What happens to Billy Bob when he shows up for School and he “forgot his mask?” What’s your Plan for conducting gym class? Some of the larger school districts have 4 or 5 lunches already. How is the lunchroom handled? Again, most districts are not set up/prepared to handle these new guidelines that’s why they will open back up in the fall.

FWIW, Dewine said in the news conference today that they will make an announcement early next week about schools. He said he will be speaking to several superintendents this weekend. It sounds like a long shot. At least we'll know soon. My opinion is Dewine doesn't want to take the chance of a new surge happening because he opened up schools.

Just like Trump leaves it up to the governors, why can't the governor leave it up to the superintendents/archdiocese to decide? Every area is different. The coronavirus has barely hit the westside, but other areas in Hamilton County it's more prevalent. Some counties in Ohio, there are less than 5 cases. This would just complicate things for the OHSAA though. The OHSAA will have to take an all or nothing approach.

Yeah, they've only had 6 weeks of being closed to prepare to reopen with strict guidelines.

A teacher can teach from a 6 foot difference.

true, but how do you keep students and teachers six feet apart all day long, including class changes, gym, lunch, and others. You can’t. It sucks but there is little to no chance spring sports are going to happen. I want to be wrong but there are just too many hurdles to jump in such a short time. It would be better at this point to just keep the schools closed and look to having them all ready to go in the fall

Governor DeWine/President Trump’s Recent Announcement
With yesterday’s (Thursday) news conferences, plans appear to be moving forward to ‘open up’ the nation and Ohio in “Phases”. It was stated that ‘schools that are currently closed should remain closed’. When this is confirmed by Governor DeWine and/or State Supt. of Schools DeMaria, we will be confirming the cancelation of spring sports as we have previously indicated.

true, but how do you keep students and teachers six feet apart all day long, including class changes, gym, lunch, and others. You can’t. It sucks but there is little to no chance spring sports are going to happen. I want to be wrong but there are just too many hurdles to jump in such a short time. It would be better at this point to just keep the schools closed and look to having them all ready to go in the fall

Our country's plan is to reopen schools in phase 2. Dr. Fauci himself even said schools could open in phase 1 if they feel they can do it. I'll take the advice of the professional's opinion.

Open up schools and sports for the month of May with necessary adjustments for helping to not spread virus. It will be a great test run for schools starting again in August. They could even do a partial opening(3 days in school, 2 days at home work assignments).

"Can't" ?
1. Class changes - staggered class changes. This limits the number in the hallway changing classes. Example: Give 5 extra minutes to change class. One class at a time.
2. Gym - Seriously? No gym classes. If opening schools up is being held up because of what to do with gym classes, then someone needs a psychiatric exam. Give them study hall or honestly it is May, have gym class outside.
3. Lunch - Add another lunch period to reduce the number in the cafeteria at one time? Set up a few tables in the gym?
4. And others? What others?

Schools are going to open before there is a vaccine not to mention there is no guarantee of a vaccine. It's time to make the changes necessary to get them back in school and sports. It can't be like it was, but you have to do what you can to make it work.

All valid points and possible, but sports is another issue. The kids need time to prepare, and by that time how much time is left. I know, things can happen beyond schools letting out, but we’re not sure yet what social distancing guidelines will be at that time. If they stay as is, there’s no way the kids can compete yet. I’m for the kids getting that opportunity, I am but as of today I don’t think they will

I agree. It sounds like it won't happen. We might find out as early as today at Dewine's press conference. He said early this week. Could be today or tomorrow he announces something on schools staying closed this school year.

Dewine just officially closed schools for the rest of this school year. The baseball season and all spring sports are now done per the OHSAA previous comments on saying they would not have spring sports without schools being open.

Fall school is in jeopardy also according to Dewine. Football and fall sports may not happen.

Dewine just officially closed schools for the rest of this school year. The baseball season and all spring sports are now done per the OHSAA previous comments on saying they would not have spring sports without schools being open.

Fall school is in jeopardy also according to Dewine. Football and fall sports may not happen.

As much as I don't like to say this I don't believe there will be sports in the fall. Without a vaccine projected until mid 2021 by most health experts and the struggles with "mass" testing not in sight for some time it does not look like it will be a reality to have students have sports in the fall that incorporates contact and close proximity. They may work out ways to have students have some classroom activity in the fall but that might be the best case scenario.

I hope there is some break-thru before that. Only time will tell.

As much as I don't like to say this I don't believe there will be sports in the fall. Without a vaccine projected until mid 2021 by most health experts and the struggles with "mass" testing not in sight for some time it does not look like it will be a reality to have students have sports in the fall that incorporates contact and close proximity. They may work out ways to have students have some classroom activity in the fall but that might be the best case scenario.

I hope there is some break-thru before that. Only time will tell.
Well if there is no football this fall it will kill the sport. Numbers are already hurting at the youth level compared to just 5 yrs ago. They are probably half of what they were 20 yrs ago. Take a year off and see what the numbers look like.

Could be, but it’s not like just football is shut down and the kids jump to soccer. Football numbers will probably still trend down the same as they would have anyway.

"Can't" ?
1. Class changes - staggered class changes. This limits the number in the hallway changing classes. Example: Give 5 extra minutes to change class. One class at a time.
2. Gym - Seriously? No gym classes. If opening schools up is being held up because of what to do with gym classes, then someone needs a psychiatric exam. Give them study hall or honestly it is May, have gym class outside.
3. Lunch - Add another lunch period to reduce the number in the cafeteria at one time? Set up a few tables in the gym?
4. And others? What others?

Schools are going to open before there is a vaccine not to mention there is no guarantee of a vaccine. It's time to make the changes necessary to get them back in school and sports. It can't be like it was, but you have to do what you can to make it work.

Good to know how you feel about Elders Gym Teachers and other staff members! Wow!

Back to baseball for a second, did anyone else see where the Enquirer put out a list of the top ten baseball teams of all time from greater Cincinnati? Not one of Elder's 12 state championship teams made it. Moeller, on the other hand, had 4 of the top 8.

Back to baseball for a second, did anyone else see where the Enquirer put out a list of the top ten baseball teams of all time from greater Cincinnati? Not one of Elder's 12 state championship teams made it. Moeller, on the other hand, had 4 of the top 8.

Has a lot to do with the famous names that went through Moeller: Larkin, Griffey, etc.

As with any greatest of all time list, it’s going to be skewed by more recent teams, especially if they have a famous player like a Griffey or Larkin.

Good to know how you feel about Elders Gym Teachers and other staff members! Wow!

Gym just seems pretty far down on the totem pole. I value the importance of it as an extra curricular I guess. I would change what I wrote to say there are ways to make gym class safe.

Here's a link to the article. 4 teams from the 30's and 40's. I just found it odd that the school with the most wins in the state and most state championships didn't have a team worthy of being ranked in the top 10 of all time.

Here we are May 26th which was supposed to be the week of the District baseball tournaments.

Something just does not sit well with me that we now have gyms open, youth baseball happening, community pools opening, you name it is probably open, but they couldn't find a way to make even have a post season happen for the kids in the spring sports. All based on models that were off only 4,000+%.

This state should have slowly opened up on Easter with kids slowly returning to the classrooms in May, and spring sports resuming in May with postseason tournaments in late May/June.

I guess we have beat a dead horse with this topic, but with gyms opening and non-contact youth/club sports starting, I started to think about the spring sport athletes having their sport season ripped away from them.

% of Ohioans 60 and under and not in prison that have died from this virus: 0.00109%

Add to that the % of those without a prexisting medical condition, that gets even smaller.

The cold, honest truth is that the OHSAA doesn’t exist without football, so if they had to sacrifice spring sports as a precaution vs the spread, that’s what they’re going to do. Imagine coming back in April and kids start to test +, that makes a late July/early Aug return of football very unlikely.