Elder Baseball 2020

Dugan and Grogan are playing at Thomas More, and I think Berger is also. I think this team can be sneaky good. 4 starting position players returning. Klingenbeck C Williams 1B Sandhas OF and P all were 1st GCL and Domenicone 2B. Grogan was a reliever 2nd team GCL and Berger was the second starter in GCL games after Kyle Klingenbeck was injured. Thamann and Connoly gave good production when they played. Sabato and Keehan were brought up as sophomores at the end of last season. Moeller and St X are loaded with pitching, but don't sleep on the Panthers come tourney time. Lets hope they get a chance to play.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s anyway they get to play this yr. Going off the minimal guidelines, they will not even be able to pickup a baseball until the end of April. That means they probably would not be able to play a real game until mid May.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s anyway they get to play this yr. Going off the minimal guidelines, they will not even be able to pickup a baseball until the end of April. That means they probably would not be able to play a real game until mid May.

it’s truly sad for all HS seniors. NCAA is meeting today about giving their spring athletes another year of eligibility, that’s not an option for these high schoolers

it’s truly sad for all HS seniors. NCAA is meeting today about giving their spring athletes another year of eligibility, that’s not an option for these high schoolers

They’re also likely going to miss Prom, Graduation, Sr Trip, Grad Parties. Tough break for all these kids. Hope we can get to some kind of normal by Summer so they can salvage what’s left of their HS experience

And I know these are uncertain times for everyone, but after this chaos is over, IF you have the means, try to give some $ back to Elder. We’ve talked about at great length the high cost of tuition and there’s a good chance more than a few Elder families will be impacted by this. And I’m sure we all know a $1,200 check won’t be much help to most families paying the bulk of tuition. So again, IF you can, please try to kick back to Elder in the coming months.

They’re also likely going to miss Prom, Graduation, Sr Trip, Grad Parties. Tough break for all these kids. Hope we can get to some kind of normal by Summer so they can salvage what’s left of their HS experience

agreed, if you noticed in my first sentence I said this was a tough break for seniors, I did mean all, not just the athletes. All those activities are most likely done, including the biggest, graduation. Sad.

And I know these are uncertain times for everyone, but after this chaos is over, IF you have the means, try to give some $ back to Elder. We’ve talked about at great length the high cost of tuition and there’s a good chance more than a few Elder families will be impacted by this. And I’m sure we all know a $1,200 check won’t be much help to most families paying the bulk of tuition. So again, IF you can, please try to kick back to Elder in the coming months.
Yes I am wondering if enrollment will suffer? There are and will continue to be layoffs over the next couple of months. If some people have to choose between paying the mortgage or paying for private education.....

Yes I am wondering if enrollment will suffer? There are and will continue to be layoffs over the next couple of months. If some people have to choose between paying the mortgage or paying for private education.....
It’s possible. However, thinking about things at a high level, most losing their jobs are hourly workers in the service industry. Most of those people cannot afford tuition to begin with. And I know that’s a gross over generalization, there’s surely exceptions. Maybe one part worked one of those jobs for supplemental income? Maybe one parent was a shift Mgr at one of thisec Maybe someone’s parents owned a small business that tanked bc of this. There’s a lot of variables and I don’t want to sound callous.

I would say the ‘08 crash hurt more people in professional industries, the type of people who could afford Private School tuition. However, we’ve still got a long way to go before this chaos ends, so who knows what the ultimate damage will be.

May 1st it is time to let them play ball. May 1st will be roughly 6 weeks of social distancing from Dewine's original order. For the most part I see everyone doing their duty and obeying the order the best they can. On May 1st I'm sorry if you disagree, but it's time to let these kids play. There are things they can do to limit spread.
1. Limit to 2 parents/guests per player in attendance.
2. No out of state competition.
3. Take temperature before every game for all players, coaches, umpires.
4. Wear protective masks(I don't think that's necessary for baseball but if it helps get them playing again go ahead).
5. Hand shakes, high fives forbidden.
6. The 20-30 people in attendance must keep 6 foot distance from each other.

Look I understand what we're doing right now with the social distancing, but we are talking about high school kids playing baseball/softball. The risk after the 6 weeks is low. What we are doing right now is flattening the curve to not overwhelm the hospitals. After 6 weeks that will be over and be on the downside.

Don't give me the argument well if just 1 kids dies or if 1 kid gets it then the whole team is quarantined, etc. Looks we have other viruses than corona. When this curve is over, you can lump it in with the other viruses. We don't cancel games if 1 kid in the high school came down with the regular flu or strep throat or pneumonia or mono, etc. OHSAA needs to announce the plan now that baseball/softball will resume on May 1st and how many practice days they must get in before games start.

Tennis goes on no question. Not sure what you do about track and field but I think you can get creative there also. Volleyball is indoors so I think the risk is higher, but still you put similar rules I stated above in place. Lacrosse I'm not sure about.

May 1st it is time to let them play ball. May 1st will be roughly 6 weeks of social distancing from Dewine's original order. For the most part I see everyone doing their duty and obeying the order the best they can. On May 1st I'm sorry if you disagree, but it's time to let these kids play. There are things they can do to limit spread.
4. Wear protective masks(I don't think that's necessary for baseball but if it helps get them playing again go ahead).

Look I understand what we're doing right now with the social distancing, but we are talking about high school kids playing baseball/softball. The risk after the 6 weeks is low. What we are doing right now is flattening the curve to not overwhelm the hospitals. After 6 weeks that will be over and be on the downside.

Don't give me the argument well if just 1 kids dies or if 1 kid gets it then the whole team is quarantined, etc. Looks we have other viruses than corona. When this curve is over, you can lump it in with the other viruses. We don't cancel games if 1 kid in the high school came down with the regular flu or strep throat or pneumonia or mono, etc. OHSAA needs to announce the plan now that baseball/softball will resume on May 1st and how many practice days they must get in before games start.

Tennis goes on no question. Not sure what you do about track and field but I think you can get creative there also. Volleyball is indoors so I think the risk is higher, but still you put similar rules I stated above in place. Lacrosse I'm not sure about.
That’s the thing, they can’t go right into playing games. They still need at least a few weeks to train and get into quasi ready shape. At that point it’s mid May and there’s just not enough time to have a meaningful season. Maybe they could do some kind of round robin GCL Tournament just to crown a GCL champ? But the state Tournament would go until at least July and that’s just too late

Every other illness you mentioned isn't as fatal as this and/or have vaccines/treatments that are known to work. That's why we don't cancel games for them.

That’s the thing, they can’t go right into playing games. They still need at least a few weeks to train and get into quasi ready shape. At that point it’s mid May and there’s just not enough time to have a meaningful season. Maybe they could do some kind of round robin GCL Tournament just to crown a GCL champ? But the state Tournament would go until at least July and that’s just too late
They will get one week to get ready. The players have already been in conditioning and the vast majority of them have been working out.

Every other illness you mentioned isn't as fatal as this and/or have vaccines/treatments that are known to work. That's why we don't cancel games for them.
I know there’s a few exceptions, but it’s not fatal to 16-18 yr olds. Not that we shouldn’t take precaution, but it’s not a plague

They will get one week to get ready. The players have already been in conditioning and the vast majority of them have been working out.
That’s good, but they still wouldn’t really be able to play a state wide tournament. Maybe they have to cut it way down to like the top 16 teams but that seems like an arbitrary cutoff given the small amount of games that would be played.

Flattening the curve. We have no vaccine, but the only reason for the stoppage is to flatten the curve. Like Omar said, the fatality threat for teenagers is extremely low. I know there are coaches and umpires to worry about, but no one is forcing them to coach or ump. Adults can make adult decisions what is best for them. There are ways to lower your risk like some things I mentioned above.

Fair point on the vaccine. The FDA did approve the malaria drug yesterday which can be a life saver and reduce the fatality rate. There are more drug treatments coming. Testing is ramping up. There is so much going in our favor right now compared to 2 weeks ago. May 1 is the time. They owe it to the kids.

This is the original statement from the OHSAA
April 6 – 10 MANDATORY Practices and/or Acclimatization (if required)
April 11 All Scrimmages/Regular Season Contests may begin
Tournaments will remain on dates as currently scheduled

May 1 - May 5 will be the mandatory practice(5 days)
Games will begin Wednesday, May 6th.

The only issue is the OHSAA seems to be aligning with the governor's decision on schools being open. If the Governor is out to cover his own butt and does not let schools reopen on May 1st then spring sports are over. The right people need to get in the Governor's ear on opening up the schools May 1st.

That’s good, but they still wouldn’t really be able to play a state wide tournament. Maybe they have to cut it way down to like the top 16 teams but that seems like an arbitrary cutoff given the small amount of games that would be played.

ANYTHING is better than nothing.

At this point, I think it's more likely that 1 or 2 weeks of the football season are canceled than that spring sports are played.

I know there’s a few exceptions, but it’s not fatal to 16-18 yr olds. Not that we shouldn’t take precaution, but it’s not a plague
You're right, it's typically not, but it's ending up in the hospital, ICU, etc. that is just as worrisome with all the shortages going on

Flattening the curve. We have no vaccine, but the only reason for the stoppage is to flatten the curve. Like Omar said, the fatality threat for teenagers is extremely low. I know there are coaches and umpires to worry about, but no one is forcing them to coach or ump. Adults can make adult decisions what is best for them. There are ways to lower your risk like some things I mentioned above.

Fair point on the vaccine. The FDA did approve the malaria drug yesterday which can be a life saver and reduce the fatality rate. There are more drug treatments coming. Testing is ramping up. There is so much going in our favor right now compared to 2 weeks ago. May 1 is the time. They owe it to the kids.
Then the OHSAA would need to make sure that every coach and every ref/ump throughout the state is on board. It wouldn't be fair to punish one team or one group of kids because their coach is reasonably uncomfortable with the idea.

Assuming we still have to practice social distancing at that point, those guidelines you mentioned would certainly not be good enough. I know it's an ESPN article, but the info is coming from a John's Hopkins doctor. I'd encourage you to read the whole thing. Some good info:

Then the OHSAA would need to make sure that every coach and every ref/ump throughout the state is on board. It wouldn't be fair to punish one team or one group of kids because their coach is reasonably uncomfortable with the idea.

Assuming we still have to practice social distancing at that point, those guidelines you mentioned would certainly not be good enough. I know it's an ESPN article, but the info is coming from a John's Hopkins doctor. I'd encourage you to read the whole thing. Some good info:

I will read it when I get a chance.

Once the social distancing orders are lifted, the schools will be back in place and sports will be back.

In response to your first sentence, I would say life is not fair and that's a good lesson for them to learn. Your team can't or won't play? Tough.

At this point, I think it's more likely that 1 or 2 weeks of the football season are canceled than that spring sports are played.

Fair enough, but let's agree both things you mentioned are unlikely. Football will be played. It will be debated heavily I'm sure. IMO, spring sports SHOULD happen May 1st, but I realize none of the leaders are willing to take the risk. It will be up to Dewine giving the clear and I guess that just might not happen.

We could debate risk forever. You risk drinking, you risk smoking, you risk driving. We need to get back to living sooner than later. May 1st it should happen provided Ohio is past it's peak.

Ok read the article.

Tennis - seems ok if they wear gloves while playing. This way they aren't touching the ball with their hands. Plenty of 6 feet distance there.
Baseball - Mostly 6 feet distance except between batter and catcher. The ball you can't do anything about, but players can use hand sanitizer between every inning and be conscious to not touch their face if they can. They can wear protective masks to help limit exposure by breathing in droplets through mouth and nose. Again no handshakes or high fives. Umpires wear protective gloves and face masks to limit potential spread.
Lacrosse - They wear protective masks and gloves. This seems most likely to be done given some body contact.
Track - Need to get creative. Maybe limit heats to 3 runners at a time? Finals I don't know. Wear protective masks? Again, no one should be competing if you have a fever.
Volleyball - Seems unlikely given so many players touching the ball. Wear protective masks and gloves? 6 feet separation on bench between coaches and players.

We spread the cold, flu, strep throat, etc. This is another illness. Drug treatments coming out now. We are flattening the curve or at least trying to. Once we are on the downward slope, it's time to get back to living life. Don't want the risk? Don't participate.

This will all depend on the schools though. I believe if the schools don't reopen then sports can't or won't be able to happen either.

Once social distancing rules are lifted, club sports will be back.

it’s truly sad, especially for the seniors, but if this is the worst thing that ever happens to them they’ll have a great life.

It could be a reality check for some people. Yes, sports are great, but you cannot let it rule your life. Find balance in your life. Your kids need other hobbies besides just sports. Academics are important. Learning life skills are important. Having a social life is important. Youth/high school sports have turned too much into business and parents fall into the trap. Sports are great, but some people probably needed this reality check that there is more to life than sports.

[/

If this is still an issue in August, then I have a hard time believing there will be a football season at all. If the continued social distancing and warm weather doesn’t drastically reduce the spread from now through Summer, then they can’t justify playing during the fall when there’s a decent chance a second wave hits with the temp drop.

It could be a reality check for some people. Yes, sports are great, but you cannot let it rule your life. Find balance in your life. Your kids need other hobbies besides just sports. Academics are important. Learning life skills are important. Having a social life is important. Youth/high school sports have turned too much into business and parents fall into the trap. Sports are great, but some people probably needed this reality check that there is more to life than sports.
If anything, this has shown how important sports are to American culture. After 9/11 and during the last crash, we still had sports as a distraction.

If you ever wondered why America became so great, it’s bc we’ve got that competitive entrepreneurial spirit built into us (excluding some pssified Millennial Socialists). Sports and capitalism are mirror images, where winning is tied to success. That’s what our country is built on.

I will read it when I get a chance.

Once the social distancing orders are lifted, the schools will be back in place and sports will be back.

In response to your first sentence, I would say life is not fair and that's a good lesson for them to learn. Your team can't or won't play? Tough.
I would typically agree with that sentiment, but I think this is a special circumstance.

Ok read the article.

Tennis - seems ok if they wear gloves while playing. This way they aren't touching the ball with their hands. Plenty of 6 feet distance there.
Baseball - Mostly 6 feet distance except between batter and catcher. The ball you can't do anything about, but players can use hand sanitizer between every inning and be conscious to not touch their face if they can. They can wear protective masks to help limit exposure by breathing in droplets through mouth and nose. Again no handshakes or high fives. Umpires wear protective gloves and face masks to limit potential spread.
Lacrosse - They wear protective masks and gloves. This seems most likely to be done given some body contact.
Track - Need to get creative. Maybe limit heats to 3 runners at a time? Finals I don't know. Wear protective masks? Again, no one should be competing if you have a fever.
Volleyball - Seems unlikely given so many players touching the ball. Wear protective masks and gloves? 6 feet separation on bench between coaches and players.

We spread the cold, flu, strep throat, etc. This is another illness. Drug treatments coming out now. We are flattening the curve or at least trying to. Once we are on the downward slope, it's time to get back to living life. Don't want the risk? Don't participate.

This will all depend on the schools though. I believe if the schools don't reopen then sports can't or won't be able to happen either.

Once social distancing rules are lifted, club sports will be back.
It's either state law or OHSAA rules, not sure, but, if the school and school facilities aren't open for use, then there's a no-contact period for coaches. All spring sport coaches right now aren't allowed to coach in any way, shape or form while schools are closed.

This is the original statement from the OHSAA

May 1 - May 5 will be the mandatory practice(5 days)
Games will begin Wednesday, May 6th.

The only issue is the OHSAA seems to be aligning with the governor's decision on schools being open. If the Governor is out to cover his own butt and does not let schools reopen on May 1st then spring sports are over. The right people need to get in the Governor's ear on opening up the schools May 1st.

The 5 day acclimation period (practice days) I’m pretty positive have to be “School Days”. Just an FYI, carry on.

Elder staff allowed at the PAC to perform Maintenance/Upkeep of the place? I have heard some of the public schools are not allowing Anyone on School Property. If this is true will take some Schools few days or week to have the Fields/Facilities they use up and running.

Last edited:
The 5 day acclimation period (practice days) I’m pretty positive have to be “School Days”. Just an FYI, carry on.

Elder staff allowed at the PAC to perform Maintenance/Upkeep of the place? I have heard some of the public schools are not allowing Anyone on School Property. If this is true will take some Schools few days or week to have the Fields/Facilities they use up and running.
It’s private property, so it should be up to Elder’s discretion. I know for a fact golf courses, particularly country clubs still have daily greens keeping/maintenance