Eight grade parents hold your kids back?

Another interesting question is; if you have kid who is going to be a Senior with a chance to play at the next level, do you send them to live with a relative in a State that is allowing fall sports? Or do you try and move to that State?
already looked into that. my grandson has relatives in Indiana, Kentucky, and Missouri. if it gets to that point, he might go live with a family member if it would a good situation for him. it’s totally his decision, and i will support what he does.

oddly enough- if he moved to Missouri, he would be playing in Mike Mauks air raid offense as his relatives live in that same district

Bylaw 4-2-1 (High School Age Limitation)

Once a student attains the age of 20, the student will no longer be eligible for interscholastic athletic competition notwithstanding where that 20th birthday falls in relation to the sports season.

EXCEPTION 1: If the student is a “child with a disability” as that term is defined within the Ohio Operating Standards for the Education of Children with Disabilities and Part B of the Federal IDEIA requirements and the student’s specific disability was diagnosed contemporaneous with the events which caused the student to be unable to meet the requirements of this bylaw; and whose disability is the primary reason for student’s inability to meet the requirements of this bylaw, that student may be declared eligible by the Executive Director's office if, in the sole discretion of the Executive Director’s office, the Executive Director’s office determines that:

a) the student does not pose a safety risk to himself/herself or others; and
b) the student does not enjoy any advantages in terms of physical maturity, mental maturity or athletic maturity over other student-athletes; and
c) the student would not likely participate in any meaningful way in any contest or otherwise have any impact on the outcome of any contest in which the student does participate; and
d) there is no evidence of “red-shirting” or other indication of academic dishonesty.

To request a ruling for this exception, visit this link: http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Eligibility/forms/Disability.pdf

---

pup note: for those that remember: The above exception rule came about via a Federal Court ruling...
a school was eliminated over an age dispute on a learning disabled player:
The OHSAA had a 'play-in' game.

:>---

SALT
Thanks for that. They changed it a couple times over a couple years and I had it wrong.

already looked into that. my grandson has relatives in Indiana, Kentucky, and Missouri. if it gets to that point, he might go live with a family member if it would a good situation for him. it’s totally his decision, and i will support what he does.

oddly enough- if he moved to Missouri, he would be playing in Mike Mauks air raid offense as his relatives live in that same district
What position does he play? Off, Def?

Other ... the 19 age limit had the 'before date' change.

Pre WWII the age limit was 20. People seem to forget that kids (especially
of HS age) would dropout of school to help sustain the family and then
return to complete their education.

:>---

SALT

Another interesting question is; if you have kid who is going to be a Senior with a chance to play at the next level, do you send them to live with a relative in a State that is allowing fall sports? Or do you try and move to that State?
I could not imagine uprooting my family and potentially having to find a new job simply for the sake of my child playing their senior year. I certainly understand how devastating it has been for kids who missed out on sports, band and other extracurricular activity, but life isn't fair. As much as one of my kids would not want to hear this...there is a lot to be learned from dealing with adversity.

You make reference to a kid playing at the next level. I cannot speak to girls sports as I have sons but I don't think not playing next season (senior year) willdi prevent a kid from playing at the next level. To begin with if your child is a DII or DIII athlete they are always looking for kids and it is not as if they are scouting your child at their high school games. If they are a football player and a DI prospect then they should have film from junior year to show coaches. Very few kids in football become D1 prospects their senior year. I think in large part that is true for basketball as well.

It is my understanding that most of the D1 recruiting of baseball players occurs with club ball and tournaments and their high school games don't play as large a part. If high school baseball does not occur next season that would be tough because kids would have missed out on two season.

I know parents make major decisions for their kids sports and if you are one of those parents, then maybe you do consider moving. Personally I would not make such a dramatic decision based on my kids athletics but I am sure some people might

I could not imagine uprooting my family and potentially having to find a new job simply for the sake of my child playing their senior year. I certainly understand how devastating it has been for kids who missed out on sports, band and other extracurricular activity, but life isn't fair. As much as one of my kids would not want to hear this...there is a lot to be learned from dealing with adversity.

You make reference to a kid playing at the next level. I cannot speak to girls sports as I have sons but I don't think not playing next season (senior year) willdi prevent a kid from playing at the next level. To begin with if your child is a DII or DIII athlete they are always looking for kids and it is not as if they are scouting your child at their high school games. If they are a football player and a DI prospect then they should have film from junior year to show coaches. Very few kids in football become D1 prospects their senior year. I think in large part that is true for basketball as well.

It is my understanding that most of the D1 recruiting of baseball players occurs with club ball and tournaments and their high school games don't play as large a part. If high school baseball does not occur next season that would be tough because kids would have missed out on two season.

I know parents make major decisions for their kids sports and if you are one of those parents, then maybe you do consider moving. Personally I would not make such a dramatic decision based on my kids athletics but I am sure some people might
i don’t think many families would just up and leave, quit their jobs, sell homes, etc to play a senior season. but could they give their child the option of moving to a relatives house out of state where football would be played? absolutely.

i don’t think many families would just up and leave, quit their jobs, sell homes, etc to play a senior season. but could they give their child the option of moving to a relatives house out of state where football would be played? absolutely.
So your son has played football (or pick the sport) for three years with a group of guys that are his friends (some of whom may be lifelong friends) and he would chose to move away for a year to play with a group of guys he doesn't know? My son's loved playing football but I cannot imagine any of them choosing that option. If they were doing it because they feared not playing would impact their ability to play in college I would take a good hard look at how much that would really prevent them before making that move.

If he is a D1 prospect than he is already on school radars and has been in contact with coaches. Certainly there could be some coaches who want to see how senior year goes, but most are really recruiting him based upon size, speed and how he has performed at camps.

If he is more of a DII or III prospect and didnt get playing time as a junior it might hurt a bit but I can guarantee you that even film from sophomore year will present an opportunity to play at DII or III schools.

My kids are grown and I have know many kids over the past 25 years who have played college sports and I can only think of a handful who's college prospects would be ruined by not playing as a senior

I imagine most states have rules re: transferring for athletic purposes. Michigan State's Thomas Kithier missed his entire senior season in basketball after his entire family moved to Clarkston because the MHSAA determined they'd done so for athletics.

So your son has played football (or pick the sport) for three years with a group of guys that are his friends (some of whom may be lifelong friends) and he would chose to move away for a year to play with a group of guys he doesn't know? My son's loved playing football but I cannot imagine any of them choosing that option. If they were doing it because they feared not playing would impact their ability to play in college I would take a good hard look at how much that would really prevent them before making that move.

If he is a D1 prospect than he is already on school radars and has been in contact with coaches. Certainly there could be some coaches who want to see how senior year goes, but most are really recruiting him based upon size, speed and how he has performed at camps.

If he is more of a DII or III prospect and didnt get playing time as a junior it might hurt a bit but I can guarantee you that even film from sophomore year will present an opportunity to play at DII or III schools.

My kids are grown and I have know many kids over the past 25 years who have played college sports and I can only think of a handful who's college prospects would be ruined by not playing as a senior
he has played with the same group of boys for 10 years now and if this season happens it will be 11. he would never want to leave on his own. but he said if football isn't played here, he would highly consider going to play football in another state that is allowing it and living with a relative. he's more of a D2/3/NAIA kid, gotten plenty of looks but he's more concerned about playing the game, first and foremost. and if a scholarship comes along the way, then that's even better. it wouldn't be easy to leave the school you've gone to your whole life to go somewhere totally different but if the season is cancelled in Ohio, he really has nothing to lose.

I certainly would love for my children to get a scholarship to college - but I would be more proud of them for doing so academically. I get that some kids are late bloomers, but I don't believe that athletics should drive decisions like this. Now I'm small school, rural Ohio. And a very small percentage of our athletes get athletic scholarships to college; I understand it's different at St. Ignatius, Colerain, Wayne, St. X, etc. But I believe holding any child back for pure athletic reasoning sends the complete wrong message to the child and gives them an incorrect perspective on life.

I know this has happened in the past and I'm sure there are legitimate reasons in many cases. But to do it because there is a chance a child may not get 4 years of HS sports seems like a poor decision (in my opinion).
I have a daughter that earned a full ride athletic scholarship to NC State. I have a son that earned a pretty good academic scholarship.(He did get a full ride to Ohio State, but chose CASE instead) I'm just as proud of each of them. Proud of my kids that didn't earn scholarships of any kind too. As soon as my kids were old enough for kindergarten, they went. Never would cross my mind to hold my kids back, but have been surprised by how many parents do for athletic reasons. My kids have all been some of the youngest in their classes. I'm not happy that my youngest got gypped out of his senior track season and graduation etc... but if kids are ready to go into HS, they should.

Last edited:
he has played with the same group of boys for 10 years now and if this season happens it will be 11. he would never want to leave on his own. but he said if football isn't played here, he would highly consider going to play football in another state that is allowing it and living with a relative. he's more of a D2/3/NAIA kid, gotten plenty of looks but he's more concerned about playing the game, first and foremost. and if a scholarship comes along the way, then that's even better. it wouldn't be easy to leave the school you've gone to your whole life to go somewhere totally different but if the season is cancelled in Ohio, he really has nothing to lose.
I actually know of a kid first hand that did this last year (obviously without the pandemic context.) He transferred in from another state as an incoming senior, a long way from home, and lived with a relative. Great kid, good student, and he had a great senior season. I know there's some times though where his adjustment had been sort of, well, rough. All around, by making the move it was to improve his situation, prospects, and provide some better networking for his future. He'll be playing college football here in Ohio next year, got a great academic scholarship at a great school, and all-in-all he probably made out better than had he stayed home. At the same time, though, I'm sure there are times that he misses his friends and teachers back home.

It's hard on a kid, to some extent. Just really gotta do your homework, keep the motivations right and convince yourself a bullet proof reasoning if you go ahead with the move.

c/o 2021 is going to be different from a recruiting perspective. You'll essentially have had NO SPRING OR SUMMER period of activity/evaluation. No club/showcase games for those sports where that is an evaluation component, no camp evaluations for those sports where that is a component. It also impacts c/o 2022 as well, but to a lesser extent.

For fall sports athletes, if there is no season on top of not having the spring/summer evaluation period, it is going to make it more of a guessing game than it already is for college recruiting. On both sides, schools and athletes.

I think things are really still up in the air right now. Everyday I'm going back and forth as to whether or not we're going to have football. I think the next couple months is going to be crucial. If the decision to open things up back fires and people freak out and death dramatically increases the season isn't going to happen. I'm praying that this thing levels off and we can at least get our hair cut. We'll all no in a short time. Let's hope! There's a lot of emotion on both sides and it really doesn't matter which side your on. I'm on the side of " let's play ball". If this thing turns out a wash for 2020, I'm in the court to hold the entire school system back a year. It's totally not realistic to expect poor rural community's to pay for online education. That's not even considering the enter city public schools. If your from the schools that don't want for anything it maybe alright. I'll give it around 8 weeks and this is going to get real.

This would be a good year to hold back if the age situation is ok. We have no idea what's going to happen in schools for the 2020/2021 school year.

Bylaw 4-2-2 (7th/8th Grade Age Limitation)
Bylaw 4-2-2
If a student enrolled in grade 7 or 8 attains the age of 15 before August 1, the student shall be ineligible to participate in 7th & 8th grade interscholastic athletics for the school year commencing in that calendar year.

EXCEPTION 1: If the student is a “child with a disability” as that term is defined within the Ohio Operating Standards for the Education of Children with Disabilities and Part B of the Federal IDEIA requirements and the student’s specific disability was diagnosed contemporaneous with the events which caused the student to be unable to meet the requirements of this bylaw; and whose disability is the primary reason for student’s inability to meet the requirements of this bylaw, that student may be declared eligible by the Executive Director’s office if, in the sole discretion of the Executive Director’s office, the Executive Director’s office determines that:
b) the student does not enjoy any advantages in terms of physical maturity, mental maturity or athletic maturity over other student-athletes; and
c) the student would not likely participate in any meaningful way in any contest or otherwise have any impact on the outcome of any contest in which the student does participate; and
d) there is no evidence of “red-shirting” or other indicia of academic dishonesty.
To request a ruling for this exception, visit this link: http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Eligibility/forms/Disability.pdf

EXCEPTION 2: If a student has repeated any grade from kindergarten through grade 3 at the recommendation of the student’s teachers or other educational professionals and for purely academic reasons and, as a result of repeating any of these grades, the student cannot meet the age limitations of this bylaw in the student’s eighth grade year with the 7th & 8th grade school, the Executive Director’s office may declare the student eligible notwithstanding this bylaw 4-2-2 if, in the sole discretion of the Executive Director’s office, the following criteria can be met:
b) the student does not enjoy any advantages in terms of physical maturity, mental maturity or athletic maturity over other student-athletes of her/his grade level; and
d) there is no evidence of “red-shirting” or other indicia of academic dishonesty.
Bylaw 4-2-3
An 8th grade student may, at the student’s option, become eligible for interscholastic athletics at the high school level when the student attains his/her 15th birthday before August 1 of the ensuing school year. The student who chooses to commence high school eligibility while still enrolled in grade eight is eligible at the school where the student is expected to enroll at the ninth grade level. A student opting to commence her/his eligibility at the high school level shall have no more than eight semesters of high school eligibility taken in order of attendance in accordance with Bylaw 4-3-3. NOTE: This means that a student’s senior year of eligibility will be affected if the student chooses to commence high school eligibility while still enrolled in grade eight. Furthermore, if the student does not opt to become eligible at the high school level, she/he shall be ineligible on account of her/his age at the 7th-8th grade level of interscholastic competition.

If I were in your situation, my preference would be him wanting to graduate with his classmates as opposed to playing one more season of high school sports.

If I were in your situation, my preference would be him wanting to graduate with his classmates as opposed to playing one more season of high school sports.

That's the other reason why I would never consider holding my 8th grade son back. I would think that would be damaging to his social life. He has been around the same 100 kids for 9 years. Yes, he has played football, baseball and basketball with some of the kids a grade below him - but those aren't who he has grown up with.

Also, QCB, it's been a long time, glad to see you're still around - hope you're well.

it’s totally his decision. his parents also told him it’s up to him. i’ll support him either way no doubt, and only he knows what’s best for him and his future

As long as a kid understands the pros and cons and as parents you are ok with the decision then I certainly understand. I think the challenge for a 17yr old is truly understanding the impact of such a decision. As for getting an offer to play at the D2/3 level I am quite confident that could and would happen. Junior year film coupled with contact with coaches and the right grades and there will be multiple opportunities at this level

I can remember someone was interviewing a sports person and they ask him if he would hold his son back in the eighth grade and he said not a chance and then added I held him back when he started kindergarten.

I personally knew 2 kids (who came from "athletic" families...i.e had older brothers who were standouts) who were held back a year in grade school for reasons unrelated to athletics.
Both kids later graduated... 1 at 19, the other just turned 20 before graduation.
Both of those boys were full grown physically by either their Soph. or Jr. year. Both were exceptional players (all-state). Both better than their brothers.
Take-away...Yup, being held back made a difference...and a big one. Also, because of being "physically mature" earlier, both also had a much better HS experience in all other ways...wink & nod...
I knew several other boys, also good athletes, who were normal age (graduate at 17 or 18) and were "late maturing" ( weren't full grown until Fr. or Soph. year in COLLEGE, who went on to be as good or better than the hold-backs by the end of college.
Problem was the HS hold-backs got college scholarships and the late-bloomer non-hold-backs didn't...
Lesson: By all means, if you believe your kid is genetically apt to be a physically late bloomer...Hold them back and do it early (kindergarten if possible).

I knew several other boys, also good athletes, who were normal age (graduate at 17 or 18) and were "late maturing" ( weren't full grown until Fr. or Soph. year in COLLEGE,
That's not "late maturing." A majority of college sophomores are still not full grown.