Ed's vs Spire Academy 1/26

Bball216

Today St. Edward gets to take its shot at Spire in the friendly confines of the Eagles Nest. So far Spire has had it's way with Bay, Garfield, SVSM and Brush. Will the huge home court advantage be enough to overcome the talent difference. Game is sold out to the public.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart

Last edited:

Ultimate game of a top HS "program" vs. a more talented "team" of all stars.
3 mid major D1's, a D2 and a bunch of D3's vs. 3 high major D1's and several other lower D1 prospects.

One proven top HS Coach vs. a 1st year coach, former journeyman NBA player.
One team that plays together vs. one team with a bunch of guys trying to improve their individual stock.

I'm a big fan of Grant Huffman and Meechie Terry. Both can play point and their play will determine how this game goes.
I'm picking Ed's in a close one, but we won't be shocked if spire wins big either.

Considering that it appears the majority of the St.Edward student body will be throughout the gym causing the no public sale of tickets. I want to say the hostility of The Nest causes any team problems when playing at Ed’s will lead to a signature win for Flannery and the Eagles. However, at the same time, the talent gap is in favor of Spire that could turn this into a blowout. I’ll give Ed’s the slight advantage tonight based on homecourt and coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This game will be available in a webcast on St Ed's website from what im told.Can anyone confirm this?

I heard somebody say Ed's will broadcast the game. I have not been able to confirm that. As for the tickets - it pays to know people and be nice to people.

Good M.O. to live by

I heard somebody say Ed's will broadcast the game. I have not been able to confirm that. As for the tickets - it pays to know people and be nice to people.

To quote Browns Coach Freddy Kitchens...….."It costs nothing to be nice to people".

Rocket going off - 3:44 left in the second quarter and he has 30 points.

Spire leads 35-30 - the rest of his Spire teammates have 5 points.

Halftime. Spire explodes to finish the 2nd quarter to lead 53-32.

This would be a very close game if Rocket Watts has not been video game unconscious. He has 40 points at the half. Ball is scoreless as it's been the Rocket show. He has like 11 3s and all but one touched the rim. Most insane display of shooting I have seen in person.

Halftime. Spire explodes to finish the 2nd quarter to lead 53-32.

This would be a very close game if Rocket Watts has not been video game unconscious. He has 40 points at the half. Ball is scoreless as it's been the Rocket show. He has like 11 3s and all but one touched the rim. Most insane display of shooting I have seen in person.

All but one OR only one touched the rim?

Watts leaves the game with 3:03 left - he had 64 points. Insane shooting performance. Spire up 109-76 with 2:53 left.

I know Spire is loaded, but I still thought Eds would do a better job than Brush or SVSM. After the way that Spire has beat down three of the best in Ohio, it surprises me that this group got so dominated in Dayton last weekend.

Keep these teams out of legitmate state high school basketball games...they can all go play against the same type of all star teams and have their own championship, but they do not belong in sanctioned OHSAA basketball or I would guess most other states.

Ed's just did not have the bench to be able to hang after their starters got tired in the first half. The zone and press wore down the Eagles and Watts just destroyed us from beyond the arc. I felt through most of the first half, Ed's delivered some blows of their own and if they could be patient on offense, they could exploit the zone. It is a big ask for a high school team to be that way the whole game though.

Spire is supremely talented and they use that length and athleticism every chance they got, but Watts really paced their offense. That last two minutes of the first half really set up what was to happen, Ed's had no answer and rushed their offense which just built a huge hole. All that being said, 86 points is a pretty good showing outside of the circus that was the game. Spire's players did some things that just do not belong in high school basketball. From overdoing the trash talk to how physical they would be in a non-basketball way. Not to mention leaving a starter in to showboat against bench players when the game was well in hand. People can call me a sore loser but this really had nothing to do with the game, as I said, they are supremely talented and they beat us, it's the extra stuff that bothered me the most.

I know Spire is loaded, but I still thought Eds would do a better job than Brush or SVSM. After the way that Spire has beat down three of the best in Ohio, it surprises me that this group got so dominated in Dayton last weekend.

I agree, I thought there would be a better showing but Ed's simply was not good enough, especially when the starters needed a rest.

Sore loser st edwards fo that to public schools.

I don't know what you mean by that. I know people are going to say this is exactly what private schools do to public schools, but I've never seen a catholic school be so blatantly dirty in any game. Certainly there have been games that have gotten out of hand where maybe there was one or two bad moments, that happens with teens but this was consistent the whole game from Spire.

As I said, this has nothing to do with how good they are at basketball.

I did not think it would happen but Ed's played scared. They shot horribly, appeared timid, turned the ball over, forced shots when they did shoot and did there fair amount of trash talking. Spire took Ed's completely out of their game. Terry for Ed's was sent packing and deservedly so. There is a difference between playing hard and doing things that dont belong in basketball. While I agree Spire plays very aggressive and cocky when winning - Terry was no angel. I was sitting a few rows behind Lavar Ball and saw Terry mouth obscenities to Mr. Ball that should never come out of the mouth of a high schooler - let alone a Catholic school player. He was as bad as anybody on the Spire squad. I'm sure he was embarrassed - but that is no excuse to play that way. His mouth eventually got him ejected.

Spire is superior to normal high school teams but we saw last week how they did when a team has equal talent.

The game would have been much closer had it not been for the absolutely insane shooting of Rocket Watts. It's hard to account for a kid scoring 64 points. It did not matter who was on him. He was shooting from damn near the parking lot. He made 16 3s and only 3 or 4 even hit rim. It was like watching a video game. He made shots when open or tightly guarded - it did not matter.

I did however come away disappointed with the shooting of Ed's. They missed several free throws and a couple were air balls. Ed's plays hard but they really lack shooters.

We had no business scheduling this game. I do not see what we will get out of this except for $$$. We played with fear against a bunch of individuals not a team. Anyhow, it is time to move on.

I don't know what you mean by that. I know people are going to say this is exactly what private schools do to public schools, but I've never seen a catholic school be so blatantly dirty in any game. Certainly there have been games that have gotten out of hand where maybe there was one or two bad moments, that happens with teens but this was consistent the whole game from Spire.

As I said, this has nothing to do with how good they are at basketball.

Spire was still reeling from getting their handed to them by Prolific Prep at the Flyin to the Hoop. They were not running their big mouths last weekend. I guess the writing was on the wall for Eds.