EBC Basketball 2022-2023

#5 for Carrollton just put up 38 on alliance. They couldn’t stop him from tip off. Even with questionable calls by the refs, we didn’t do enough. Good game.

#5 for Carrollton just put up 38 on alliance. They couldn’t stop him from tip off. Even with questionable calls by the refs, we didn’t do enough. Good game.
For most of the game they let them play in the paint. Thought Carrollton got a few calls early and Alliance got a few late. Came down to Carrollton getting to the rim and making free throws late and Alliance not hitting shots late. Very entertaining game. Good luck to both come tourney time.

For most of the game they let them play in the paint. Thought Carrollton got a few calls early and Alliance got a few late. Came down to Carrollton getting to the rim and making free throws late and Alliance not hitting shots late. Very entertaining game. Good luck to both come tourney time.
Those free throws will haunt them forever… is #5 on fire like that every game? I think he was like 8 of 9 from 3. He’s a baller

Those free throws will haunt them forever… is #5 on fire like that every game? I think he was like 8 of 9 from 3. He’s a baller
He runs mostly hot, but not always that hot! You could tell Alliance's game plan was to not allow Rinkes to get to the rim, which for the most part they were successful, at least until the 4th quarter. But they paid the price as Rinkes found Mallarnee time and time again. They are a dangrerous combination. Too bad both had the flu the first time they played at Carrollton. In Carrollton's only 2 losses neither Rinkes or Mallarnee played.

Alliance's freshman point guard is going to be a good one!!

I didn’t remember seeing those 2 in Carrollton. Good luck to you guys the rest of the season. And yes he’s going to be a stud. He’s super talented

Looks like off night Tuesday for the conference slate... non league games though for most. Unlike some, I was not surprised with the level of play or the outcome of the game Friday in Alliance. I wasnt there but was able to see the game online. Looked like an incredible game to be at. Warriors at full strength are undefeated I believe - they play hard, play together and seem to know their roles well.

Huge games this weekend! My predictions:
Marlington beats Minerva in a close game.
Carrollton beats Salem in a barn burner. Would not be surprised if the game is in the 70-80's, if I could go this is the game that I would be going to!
Alliance vs West Branch- I am torn with this game, I believe this will be a close game. I am leaning towards taking West Branch, but it is hard to go against Alliance. This one is a coin flip for me I can see either team winning in a very hard fought battle.

Alliance over WB close... Branch has some good athletes and if they can keep it low scoring they can win.
Carrollton over Salem close.... Salem has the weapons to win this though, just dont know if they guard well enough to win this on in the black hole.
Marlington by 10+.... these teams are both so much better on their home court this year. Marlington needs a bounce back after beatdown at Louisville and Minerva is playing so many young kids.

Minerva may be hindered tonight by injuries and playing at Marlington is no easy task - I think Marlington wins this one comfortably.
West Branch will slow it down but not sure if they can score enough to keep pace with Aviators. This could be an upset but think Alliance wins by a handful. Salem travels to Carrollton for what should be a packed Black Hole - they can shoot it and score but not sure they have anyone to stop Carrollton's offensive weapons. I like Carrollton by 8-10. Every game matters now as West Branch could play their way into the EBC picture with home victories vs Alliance tonight and vs Carrollton Tuesday.

Last edited:
Alliance vs WB- You never know what you are going to get with the Aviators. If they show up, the game could be over by half. But I wouldn't be suprised if its a close one.
Marlington is tough at home and if Minerva has injuries as stated, the Dukes could win relatively easily.
Salem at Carrollton is intruiging. It's either going to be the Warriors by 20+, or it could be a "whoever has the ball last is going to win" type of game.

Went to check out the Dukes (side note they do a great job with Team Trevor night and honoring cancer survivors!) .... Dukes had control, but Minerva dominated the 4th. Well executed by the Lions. I was impressed with Minerva composure and execution. They play really hard. Dukes had some good looks but didnt shoot well down the stretch

Minerva looked very good in the 4th after the Dukes had control most of the night - big road win for the Lions! Alliance took care of business vs West Branch but then gave up 106 next night to a very good Louisville team. Looks like Carrollton had its way with Salem in lopsided affair.

Carrollton 37 West Branch 35. Probably Carrollton's ugliest game of the year, but also probably their best win of the year. Physical game. WB coach Brown had a good game plan and WB shot the 3 ball well. His box and 1 gave us fits for 3 quarters, but Carrollton eventually figured it out and really turned the defensive pressure up when it counted. Rinkes split 4 defenders to get to the rack for the game winner with 1 second left.

Didn't help Carrollton had a snow day. Things generally don't go well when the routine is jacked.

Minerva put up quite the fight at Alliance but ran out of gas in the 2nd half. Diego being out surely helped, but the Lions fought and clawed for 32 minutes. Marlington got hot at Salem and poured it in from deep. Carrollton waited until the 4th to get it going at West Branch and Rinkes showed why he is the most complete player in the league - big steal in closing moments and winning shot with 1 sec left.

Minerva put up quite the fight at Alliance but ran out of gas in the 2nd half. Diego being out surely helped, but the Lions fought and clawed for 32 minutes. Marlington got hot at Salem and poured it in from deep. Carrollton waited until the 4th to get it going at West Branch and Rinkes showed why he is the most complete player in the league - big steal in closing moments and winning shot with 1 sec left.
Agreed. I, too, think he is the league mvp. He affects every part of the game on both sides of the ball. He can create a shot anytime he wants, but is always looking to distribute the ball.

Final EBC games of the year... Who you got? Any surprises team wise or players that stood out? Seemed like at beginning of the year everyone thought it was going to be Alliance breezing through the league. There were quite a few tight games along the way for all - even with Alliance and Carrollton out to 8-1 league starts going in to tonight. Should be a fun night of hoops and good luck to all EBC schools.

My heart says Marlington, but my head and wallet are going with Alliance
Don't know who the home team is in the Salem/WB game, but I'll take whoever doesn't have to get on a bus.
Didn't feel comfortable when Carrollton traveled to WB Tuesday. I don't have the same feeling today. I'll take Carrollton by 10.

The league is fun to watch. Nobody is safe. Carrollton at 100% healthy has proven they should be at the top. The big difference is they are a very experienced team. Alliance is very skilled, but experience in high school is invaluable.

Alliance will run the EBC table.... they honestly shouldnt (and prob wont) have a game in the league that isnt a double digit win! they have already beat salem by 35, Carrollton by 20 and WB by 11. Minerva has prob exceeded expectations with the young roster they run out there, but tonight will be aviators by 20. Too much size, speed, skill and depth for anyone in this league.
Would you say Alliance underachieved a little bit?

Safe to say Carrollton overachieved in the eyes of most and "learned how to win" -- that team has impressed me the few times I have seen them. Minerva fought hard with them but both games it was clear that they were by far the better team and experience matters. We hung with Alliance both games but it was a different story vs Carrollton. The Rinkes kid is a force on both ends and took over last night. Scoring, rebounding and assists.

Wow. So Carrollton has a chance to go for 20 regular season wins. When is the last time a team in the EBC won 20 games??
IIRC, Alliance went unbeaten in the 2011-2012 season at the end of the Dark Ages when teams played a 20 game regular season, and the EBC was the NBC.

Last edited:
Thoughts on first and second team EBC selections... COY? POY?

Not sure when the vote is but interesting as there are lot of solid players this year.

COY is obvious. Any coach who goes from last to first, that's non debatable.

POY. I'm definitely biased, but the #1 reason Carrollton had the season they did is because Rinkes made every single player around him better. And each of those players trust him, and he knows without each other the team will be nothing. He is always thinking to distribute first, but when it comes down to winning time, everybody in that locker room knows he is the answer. The play always starts with him, and when it REALLY counts, it ends with him. Every opponent knows it, yet nobody seems to have the answer.
I have no idea what the numbers are for other players around the league. Very good, I'm sure, but nobody in the league affects the game from baseline to baseline more than Rinkes.

Last edited:
I would agree with dig it. Coach Aukerman from Carrollton and Rinkes from Carrollton should be your COY and POY. A turnaroud like they have had is incredible. Everyone expected Alliance to walk away with the crown pre season. In the games I saw, Rinkes was in complete control of the game on both ends, and impressed me a lot. His teammate was lights out as well - that kid can shoot it!

First team: Rinkes + Mallarnee from Carrollton, Allen from Alliance, Gonzales from Minerva... the other two get interesting.... Jackson, freshman from Alliance should make it? Miller from Marlington? Not sure who would be nominated from West Branch and Salem - what are their best nominees?