EBC Basketball 2022-2023

Thoughts on the upcoming EBC basketball season that is fast approaching... Here is a list of the returning players from the 1st, 2nd and Hon. Ment. teams from a year ago.

Alliance.... 1st Team- Diego Allen, HM- Brendan Zurbrugg
West Branch.... 1st Team- Dru Deshields, HM- Joey Jackson
Marlington.... 2nd Team- Drew Denham, 2nd Team- Casey Miller, HM- Tommy Skelding
Carrollton.... HM-Jaxon Rinkes, HM, Lincoln Mallarnee
Minerva.... HM-Brandon Davis
Salem.... None

Favorites? Dark Horses? Newcomers?

Diego Allen is still at alliance... and they are loaded with talent, size, athletes and youngsters... I would think they could be the favorite every year for the next 4-5 years.

I believe Carrollton brings the most back from the year before. Their point guard/best player was hurt for the first part of the season and they were not able to find their footing until late last year. I would not be surprised if they make a run for the conference championship. With that being said, I do believe it runs through Alliance and West Branch this year. Salem and Minerva have some good young players, but they might be a year or two away from really contending. Then Marlington is the big question mark for me, I have no clue who all they lost to graduation other than their best player Evanich.

Didn’t Carrollton win a share of it last year? I’d say between alliance, Carrollton and west branch it could get pretty tight down the stretch

Carrollon was 4-19 last year. They finished last in the EBC ---- IF everyone comes out Marlington will be decent (Skelding, Dunham, Miller all back) But some of them are D1 baseball commits so who knows if they will play

Carrollon was 4-19 last year. They finished last in the EBC ---- IF everyone comes out Marlington will be decent (Skelding, Dunham, Miller all back) But some of them are D1 baseball commits so who knows if they will play
That is correct, but they only lost 1 senior last year and return 4 starters. I'm predicting an above.500 record for them this year!!

That is correct, but they only lost 1 senior last year and return 4 starters. I'm predicting an above.500 record for them this year!!
yes, I agree.... They also added a foreign exchange student who I heard is decent. They will be able to be in the top 3 of the league.

Here is my initial prediction for finish order
Alliance
West Branch
Carrollton
Marlington
Minerva
Salem

yes, I agree.... They also added a foreign exchange student who I heard is decent. They will be able to be in the top 3 of the league.

Here is my initial prediction for finish order
Alliance
West Branch
Carrollton
Marlington
Minerva
Salem
Same, but I'd flip Salem and Minerva. Minerva is going to VERY young this year. Sophomore and possibly two freshmen starting/getting heavy minutes. Future looks bright for them, but might be taking some bumps these next two years.

Alliance and West Branch bring back the horses to win and contend again. DeShields and Zurbrugg are D1 football recruits that can hoop too. I wonder if either opts out of basketball this year to prep for college football. Alliance talent is immense through all grades and Branch isnt too far behind. Carrollton brings back a lot and will be a tough out as they, and Minerva always seem to be. Salem lost a lot but their young guys were playing well at the end of the year. Never an off night in the EBC of late - anyone can get anyone. Should be a fun year.

Mr Nov, not true about an off night in the EBC!! Anyone cannot get anyone!!! It will only be fun if your Alliance or West Branch

Long-time reader, first time poster. Decided to jump in on the convo. My take:

Alliance is going to be scary good. Talked one of the assistant coaches that said they had a great summer. The crown should be theirs if they play to their potential.
WB is going to be the team that could knock them off. Graduated a couple kids but they have a lot of experienced athletes coming back.
Marlington is very well coached. They'll have to be able to figure out how to play without Connor and it'll be interesting to see who steps into the leadership role.
Carrollton is a wild card. They have a lot of experience back, but do they know how to win?
Salem graduated a lot, but they had a couple sophomores get significant minutes and make some big contributions throughout the year least year. They could take some lumps, but could also give the upper teams some trouble.
Minerva graduated just about everyone. Could be a long winter for the Lions.

Looking forward to the season starting!

Long-time reader, first time poster. Decided to jump in on the convo. My take:

Alliance is going to be scary good. Talked one of the assistant coaches that said they had a great summer. The crown should be theirs if they play to their potential.
WB is going to be the team that could knock them off. Graduated a couple kids but they have a lot of experienced athletes coming back.
Marlington is very well coached. They'll have to be able to figure out how to play without Connor and it'll be interesting to see who steps into the leadership role.
Carrollton is a wild card. They have a lot of experience back, but do they know how to win?
Salem graduated a lot, but they had a couple sophomores get significant minutes and make some big contributions throughout the year least year. They could take some lumps, but could also give the upper teams some trouble.
Minerva graduated just about everyone. Could be a long winter for the Lions.

Looking forward to the season starting!
I don't believe that West Branch and Alliance will be as good as last year. I really believe Carrollton will make it a 3 team race for the title.

Last edited:
Word out of Quakertown is a couple football players are hoopin it up this year. I don’t think it’ll make them contenders, but could vault them up to #3 in the league and could give the upper teams a challenge.

Word out of Quakertown is a couple football players are hoopin it up this year. I don’t think it’ll make them contenders, but could vault them up to #3 in the league and could give the upper teams a challenge.
Some of their top football players have been absent from the courts the past few years, any idea why?

Same, but I'd flip Salem and Minerva. Minerva is going to VERY young this year. Sophomore and possibly two freshmen starting/getting heavy minutes. Future looks bright for them, but might be taking some bumps these next two years.
Does Minerva have a jr or sr transfer that is pretty tall and a good player? That's what I heard..

I know Johnson coached youth basketball and his sons both play so I assume he supports basketball
The younger son, the QB, stopped playing after 9th grade. I think his oldest son played all four years. From what I've heard, Johnson attends all of the home games, but I have it on good authority that he puts a lot of pressure on his players to focus soley on football.

Anyone have any scrimmages yet? I know the Quakers had Cambell and Heartland the first weekend, and a projected very good Howland this past Sat. Buddy of mine said they took some lumps in a couple quarters vs Howland, but also competed well a few quarters.

The younger son, the QB, stopped playing after 9th grade. I think his oldest son played all four years. From what I've heard, Johnson attends all of the home games, but I have it on good authority that he puts a lot of pressure on his players to focus soley on football.

Anyone have any scrimmages yet? I know the Quakers had Cambell and Heartland the first weekend, and a projected very good Howland this past Sat. Buddy of mine said they took some lumps in a couple quarters vs Howland, but also competed well a few quarters.
That's a shame- schools that size need multi sport athletes.

Does Minerva have a jr or sr transfer that is pretty tall and a good player? That's what I heard
The kid is about 6'3 I think I heard and he has lived in Minerva for multiple years already, but his family had Louisville ties so he had gone there like his Dad did (??) . Got tired of making the drive so just started this year at Minerva... the district in which has lived for a couple years .... so I guess he is a transfer but not really... prob will play some for the Lions I think

The kid is about 6'3 I think I heard and he has lived in Minerva for multiple years already, but his family had Louisville ties so he had gone there like his Dad did (??) . Got tired of making the drive so just started this year at Minerva... the district in which has lived for a couple years .... so I guess he is a transfer but not really... prob will play some for the Lions I think
It's much more exciting to play on a team that is in a solid conference instead of as impendent. Plus, Minerva is not always the most talented team on the court, but Green has them playing competitive ball and they do win some games that they aren't supposed to. His teams play hard. It's going to be hard to replace Costea and Shingleton but he always comes up with something. The freshmen class has a lot of potential, I can 't wait to see what Green does with the group as they get older. I don't see the Lions competing for a league title but I do know that will get after it every night..

Alliance had more kids come out for basketball this year since the Federal League days...Coach Weatherspoon has a lot to pick from....plus the schedule has been upgraded with 4 Fed schools and I see the out of conference schedule will be tougher in years to come...