Eastern Buckeye Conference

Bucketz

With the recent news of Canton South departing in 2 years what schools may be interested in joining? This 6 team league may be in trouble.

With the recent news of Canton South departing in 2 years what schools may be interested in joining? This 6 team league may be in trouble.
I could see maybe Ravenna Southeast or even Ravenna City for that matter. Thinking Mogadore and Rootstown are too small.

I could see maybe Ravenna Southeast or even Ravenna City for that matter. Thinking Mogadore and Rootstown are too small.

Ravenna......perhaps.

Southeast is actually substantially smaller than Canton South on the boys side
South 232 top three grades
Southeast 192 top three grades

Ravenna's got a good deal going in the Metro Conference, so I can't see them leaving for the EBC. I think that they might stay at six teams for the foreseeable future. Unless West Branch and Salem decided to go to the NE8, then the conference may disband.

I think the league is ultimately toast. I'm having a hard time seeing nearby schools whose current situation would be upgraded by joining the EBC.

I
Ravenna's got a good deal going in the Metro Conference, so I can't see them leaving for the EBC. I think that they might stay at six teams for the foreseeable future. Unless West Branch and Salem decided to go to the NE8, then the conference may disband.

I couldn't imagine West Branch wanting to join the NE8, just doesn't make a ton of sense. I think for now the league stays at 6 teams and rolls with it, with the playoff field expanding and another out of conference game opening up I think it actually provides the remaining teams a lot of flexibility that other schools won't have, they can go out and actually play a few tough out of conference games now without the fear of missing the playoffs. Might not be as soon and gloom as some are making it out to be

I

I couldn't imagine West Branch wanting to join the NE8, just doesn't make a ton of sense. I think for now the league stays at 6 teams and rolls with it, with the playoff field expanding and another out of conference game opening up I think it actually provides the remaining teams a lot of flexibility that other schools won't have, they can go out and actually play a few tough out of conference games now without the fear of missing the playoffs. Might not be as soon and gloom as some are making it out to be
If it becomes clear the conference is done for, it would be their best option. Really no other conference out there makes sense, and it’s schools they have historically been with (even if it has been 30 years), especially if they make a move with Salem.

The MAC ran with 6 teams for a while before merging with the TAC, so it’s absolutely not on its death bed if the 6 are happy.

I would say Crestview might be a good addition, but realistically they could only compete in football, baseball, and boys soccer. I think they would be OK in volleyball most years as well. It would definitely be a step-up for us compared to our current league, but since we'd have NO chance of competing in any other sports other than the 3 or 4 I mentioned, I'm guessing we will stay put.

Will the 6 remaining schools stick together is the question. I don’t think the IVC or PTC for that matter are options for Minerva due to enrollment and travel. Many on this site base mythical league alignments solely on football. Minerva is good in most of its other sports programs and neither of those leagues would be a good fit.

I’m not sure Minerva, Carrollton, WB and Salem are interested in sticking with Alliance or Marlington in the long term though. If WB and Salem were to break away I could see Minerva and Carrollton trying to build a league. But the question is which schools would be interested in leaving their current situation to make it happen? My guess is Salem, WB, Minerva and Carrollton stick together, try to add teams, and tell Marlington and Alliance to go packing. Which schools would be options? Beaver Local, East Liverpool, Ravenna, Crestview and Southeast come to mind. Two others are Sandy Valley and United, but I don’t think either of these two schools would be interested.

Will the 6 remaining schools stick together is the question. I don’t think the IVC or PTC for that matter are options for Minerva due to enrollment and travel. Many on this site base mythical league alignments solely on football. Minerva is good in most of its other sports programs and neither of those leagues would be a good fit.

I’m not sure Minerva, Carrollton, WB and Salem are interested in sticking with Alliance or Marlington in the long term though. If WB and Salem were to break away I could see Minerva and Carrollton trying to build a league. But the question is which schools would be interested in leaving their current situation to make it happen? My guess is Salem, WB, Minerva and Carrollton stick together, try to add teams, and tell Marlington and Alliance to go packing. Which schools would be options? Beaver Local, East Liverpool, Ravenna, Crestview and Southeast come to mind. Two others are Sandy Valley and United, but I don’t think either of these two schools would be interested.

East Liverpool and Beaver Local have made it abundantly clear over the years they prefer to stay along the River. Both tried joining conferences to the north in the past and were withdrawing about as soon as they were accepted. Ravenna would be adding a ton of travel for no reason - the closest schools to them are Alliance and Marlington, which is still over a half hour, and in your scenario they would be replacing those two. Who knows about Southeast. That's still a haul to everywhere except WB.

Okay, send Carrollton and Minerva to the PAC (PAC-10) send Salem and West Branch to the NE-10. Forget about about OOC games being an issue for our overworked AD's. That leaves the island of misfit teams that were the league bullies that nobody wants to play anymore Louisville, marlington, Alliance, Howland and Canfield to figure out who to play with in the future. With not many options left and everyone locked into 10 team leagues may force them to swallow their pride and join the SVC with Mooney, East and Ursuline.

Okay, send Carrollton and Minerva to the PAC (PAC-10) send Salem and West Branch to the NE-10. Forget about about OOC games being an issue for our overworked AD's. That leaves the island of misfit teams that were the league bullies that nobody wants to play anymore Louisville, marlington, Alliance, Howland and Canfield to figure out who to play with in the future. With not many options left and everyone locked into 10 team leagues may force them to swallow their pride and join the SVC with Mooney, East and Ursuline.
I think that pill for
Canfield would be too big to swallow. Also Chaney