E60: Project 11- Alex Smith

clarkgriswold

Did anybody else watch this? Holy smokes, what a horrendous injury and path he had to take. 17 surgeries. It is a difficult hour to watch, with a lot of gruesome photos but well done and well worth a watch.

No way he doesn't get an Espy or NFL Award for bravery/courage soon.

Saw about the last 15 minutes looked interesting. I’ll have to pick it up from the start.

Did anybody else watch this? Holy smokes, what a horrendous injury and path he had to take. 17 surgeries. It is a difficult hour to watch, with a lot of gruesome photos but well done and well worth a watch.

I always liked how handled himself in both SF & KC ... and in this he comes out looking a pretty go guy.

... and yes it was pretty ugly at times ... I knew some of this ... didn’t realize it was that bad.

Forget which talking head it was, but they said that he should start week 1 and get his starting positoin back.

No way.

I bet he will get PT this year, but DH is the future, they think/hope and it sucks losing your job to an injury, but it is what it is.

Nice to see him get on the field yesterday. Surprised he didn't have some type of PTSD kick in with the awful O line that was in front of him.

Prolly see a Dak version in a few yrs after his injury but year it was great to see him back on the field. Haskins getting benched tho was another example of white privilege, expecially at the QB position

I've watched it multiple times and you can't help but root for a guy like Alex Smith. I really didn't know a whole lot about him until that show. I knew about the injury and some of the complications, but yes, he was basically to decision day to either amputate his leg, or save it. Really goes to show that even with today's medicine, things can go sideways quickly. My biggest takeaway was Smith's attitude during the process. I'm sure there were many "woe is me" moments, but he really kept a great attitude and perspective. The segment where he got to go to the military rehab center was probably very humbling as you're interacting with soldiers who've had traumatic injuries as well. I don't watch much of the ESPN programming other than the E:60 shows and some live sports.

I guess a big factor in the potential harm between Dak and Smith's injury was the playing surface. Dak was injured on artificial turf on a dry nice weather day. Smith's injury occurred on an ugly muddy field. The medical conjecture is that the muddy field had bacteria that got into Smith's injury.

I guess a big factor in the potential harm between Dak and Smith's injury was the playing surface. Dak was injured on artificial turf on a dry nice weather day. Smith's injury occurred on an ugly muddy field. The medical conjecture is that the muddy field had bacteria that got into Smith's injury.
That's fairly believable to me. I've heard of people contracting staph infections shortly after competing in events like a "Spartan Race" or a "Tough Mudder."