DVII Region 25 Final: Lucas @ Warren JFK

Considering their best player hasn't seen a snap since Week 1 due to injury, I'm surprised they've done this well to date. Fisher has also been nursing an ankle, and appeared to hobble off the field in the second half against Lucas - not to return. Hopefully this doesn't become a nagging issue into the Playoffs. IMO, I don't think we know enough at this point to crown them a final four team either. But they'll be a tough out for sure.
I agree, I said a potential Final 4.

From the scores in this region on Joe E, I’m not seeing anyone who has a spectacular win. Lots of wins again 2-3 teams.
Doesn’t really matter this year anyway. There is no excuses.. all will be decided on the field.
don't you think that's because they may play in a league you can't have 4 4-0 teams in a 6 team league?

Watched the game. Shelby is big up front. Not overly spectacular at any one position but a good football team. Don't think they are a final 4 DIV team. They haven't played anyone this year. I would say they would be about a middle of the pack, top 3-4 NE8 team. Behind Poland, South Range and possibly a healthy Hubbard.
Let's see, 2 of those teams lost to both Lucas and Shelby. Out of those 2 one of them has a winning record. One team played and lost to Shelby badly in week 4 with 5 players either suspended or injured and now has to play Lucas week 6. The other team, well they're just bad and barely beat a team that hasn't won a game in 3 years 14-7.

You can say they haven't played anybody all you want but with this Covid crap relegating teams to only playing within their division you are going to have a lot of them with losing records in a shortened season.

I'm willing to bet that Shelby could stand with any team in Division IV.

Don't think they are a final 4 DIV team. They haven't played anyone this year. I would say they would be about a middle of the pack, top 3-4 NE8 team. Behind Poland, South Range and possibly a healthy Hubbard.
It's a screwy year, but Calpreps disagrees with you. The math whizzes out there aren't perfect, but it does give perspective vs just looking at Joe Eitel's site and comparing.

That said, think the best team you mentioned in your list is South Range. Would LOVE to see them & Kirtland tangle.

Now, back to D7R25...
1601334605024.png

Since seeding will be done this week expect Dalton to get a good draw. Will be interesting if they get a bye. Several of their best players were "healthy scratches" last Friday and they're about to be buzzsawed by D6R21 Norwayne this Friday. The bye could help them lick their wounds but they might have done better in a "normal" year where they could get on a neutral site turf field.

Since seeding will be done this week expect Dalton to get a good draw. Will be interesting if they get a bye. Several of their best players were "healthy scratches" last Friday and they're about to be buzzsawed by D6R21 Norwayne this Friday. The bye could help them lick their wounds but they might have done better in a "normal" year where they could get on a neutral site turf field.
They'll most certainly be a bye team. 11 are going to get byes and they certainly are one of the top 11.

Let's see, 2 of those teams lost to both Lucas and Shelby. Out of those 2 one of them has a winning record. One team played and lost to Shelby badly in week 4 with 5 players either suspended or injured and now has to play Lucas week 6. The other team, well they're just bad and barely beat a team that hasn't won a game in 3 years 14-7.

You can say they haven't played anybody all you want but with this Covid crap relegating teams to only playing within their division you are going to have a lot of them with losing records in a shortened season.

I'm willing to bet that Shelby could stand with any team in Division IV.
Shelby is good, they'll do very well in the playoffs.

They'll most certainly be a bye team. 11 are going to get byes and they certainly are one of the top 11.
Agreed. Crazy to think that if they don't adjust the bracket to the region size you'll have teams on byes sitting at home waiting to face one another. R25 would have 6/11, 7/10, 8/9 all on a "bye" when they know they'll play each other. Especially if one of those teams ends up not able to play due to some infections.

Lucas
JFK
Dalton
St Paul
Independence
McDonald
Monroeville
Southern
Malvern
Plymouth
Cuyahoga Hts
Leetonia
Jackson-Milton
Mapleton
Valley Christian
Fairport Harding
South Central
Wellsville
Buckeye Central
Lowellville
Lisbon

It’d be hilarious if JFK and Lucas both lose and don’t get to play each other lol
It could happen. Anything can happen when it comes to high school sports. This year more than most though there is a bigger separation between the haves and have nots in the region. Dalton is pretty good and could be a threat. McDonald has some athletes but got annihilated by the only really good team on their schedule. Same goes for Independence. Everyone else in the region plays nothing but D6s and D7s and aren't prepared for the size, speed and physicality of the teams at the top.

They should schedule Ursuline and Steubenville. They are always looking for games. It's a tremendous experience to play at Harding Stadium on a Friday night. It would be worth the drive
They've played Steubenville 2 times in the playoffs in the last 4-5 years before they moved to Div III, both great games. Regular season games those teams are just to far out of the geographical area to make it feasible.

Dalton has a tough game at Norwayne this week with the league title on the line. With all of the issues Dalton has had, Norwayne is the clear favorite to win the game. Saying Dalton will get "buzzsawed" might be a stretch though. I expect a tough, hard fought game. Dalton will be at full strength and Dial will have them ready to play.

Dalton has a tough game at Norwayne this week with the league title on the line. With all of the issues Dalton has had, Norwayne is the clear favorite to win the game. Saying Dalton will get "buzzsawed" might be a stretch though. I expect a tough, hard fought game. Dalton will be at full strength and Dial will have them ready to play.
Definitely interested in this game. If Dalton can hang with Norwayne, watch out R25.

Looking forward to this game Friday for sure - norwayne is a legit state title contender in d6 with their size and depth. Dalton is very talented too and will make the bobcats work imo. Daltons biggest issue is the fact that they haven’t had any continuity this season with starters and that will hurt them Friday. No matter what happens this week they will be extremely dangerous in the playoffs in D7.

For what it’s worth here is how the MaxPreps/calpreps rankings (I’m assuming they use the same algorithm since their rankings are identical) has the region. D7 rank in parenthesis:

1. JFK (7) 4-1
2. Lucas (8) 4-1
3. Malvern (11) 5-0
4. McDonald (12) 4-1
5. Independence (13) 4-1
6. Leetonia (14) 5-0
7. St. Paul (18) 4-1
8. Southern (23) 4-1
9. Dalton (26) 4-1
10. Monroeville (27) 5-0
11. Jackson-Milton (43) 4-1
12. Plymouth (52) 3-2
13. Lowellville (54) 2-3
14. Wellsville (56) 2-3
15. Valley Christian (62) 2-3
16. Mapleton (63) 1-4
17. Cuyahoga Heights (64) 1-4
18. Buckeye Central (67) 1-4
19. Fairport Harding (69) 4-1
20. South Central (72) 0-5
21. Lisbon (78) 1-4

It's a screwy year, but Calpreps disagrees with you. The math whizzes out there aren't perfect, but it does give perspective vs just looking at Joe Eitel's site and comparing.

That said, think the best team you mentioned in your list is South Range. Would LOVE to see them & Kirtland tangle.

Now, back to D7R25...
View attachment 10265
Ray, hopefully you posted that in the PAC thread so NWIndians is happy someone mentioned Northwest.

Leetonia, Independence and Southern are not better than Dalton. Malvern I don't know a ton about. Its crazy to see Cuyahoga Heights that low but that is pretty accurate for them this year. Fairport might be too high, they are pretty bad even though they are 4-1.

For what it’s worth here is how the MaxPreps/calpreps rankings (I’m assuming they use the same algorithm since their rankings are identical) has the region. D7 rank in parenthesis:

1. JFK (7) 4-1
2. Lucas (8) 4-1
3. Malvern (11) 5-0
4. McDonald (12) 4-1
5. Independence (13) 4-1
6. Leetonia (14) 5-0
7. St. Paul (18) 4-1
8. Southern (23) 4-1
9. Dalton (26) 4-1
10. Monroeville (27) 5-0
11. Jackson-Milton (43) 4-1
12. Plymouth (52) 3-2
13. Lowellville (54) 2-3
14. Wellsville (56) 2-3
15. Valley Christian (62) 2-3
16. Mapleton (63) 1-4
17. Cuyahoga Heights (64) 1-4
18. Buckeye Central (67) 1-4
19. Fairport Harding (69) 4-1
20. South Central (72) 0-5
21. Lisbon (78) 1-4
Wow. Dalton (26).

Leetonia, Independence and Southern are not better than Dalton. Malvern I don't know a ton about. Its crazy to see Cuyahoga Heights that low but that is pretty accurate for them this year. Fairport might be too high, they are pretty bad even though they are 4-1.

My thoughts were Malvern, independence and Leetonia too high, Dalton and St Paul too low. Southern I think is fine once you move Dalton past them.

I guess if I was doing a top 10 ranking I’d go:

1. JFK
2. Lucas
3. Dalton
4. McDonald
5. St Paul
6. Malvern
7. Independence
8. Leetonia
9. Southern
10. Monroeville

Last edited:
My thoughts were Malvern, independence and Leetonia too high, Dalton and St Paul too low. Southern I think is fine once you move Dalton last them.

I guess if I was doing a top 10 ranking I’d go:

1. JFK
2. Lucas
3. Dalton
4. McDonald
5. St Paul
6. Malvern
7. Independence
8. Leetonia
9. Southern
10. Monroeville
This is pretty accurate

Norwayne is the clear favorite to win the game. Saying Dalton will get "buzzsawed" might be a stretch though.
Dial is a fantastic coach, of that I don’t believe there is any doubt. But when your best offensive output is 35 & Norwayne has only been held to 35 once against the same schedule it definitely doesn’t bode well. Add that to the distractions of teams best players doing things to make the coach hold them out makes me think they’re heads aren’t in the right place.