DVII Region 25 Final: Lucas @ Warren JFK

Th

they normally scrimmage every year. Obviously with Covid they didn’t this year. They always play pretty close. Malvern QB is one tough kid, can run and throw. He has committed to Mount Union. They have another RB that has had 2 thousand yard seasons as well. There depth is very suspect. I think they only have 26 kids. That hurts during close games. I would give a slight edge to Dalton but Malvern is really good
Hang tight on that. Dalton was a lot of glitz & last 3 games looked lost & made a QB change. They only played 1 legit team and lost to a mediocre team in their league. Malvern has stayed solid all year. They are one cramp/ankle tweek away from struggling, but who isn't in D7?

awful is an understatement. I feel like Valley has had their chances too. This game is one the worst I’ve seen.
I was at that trainwreck of a game. 100% correct worst game and coached game on both sides I have seen. I've been going to games since Mooney played at South.

Valley coaches taking 20 plus seconds to get play in, burning timeouts on change of possessions.

Lowellville coaches thinking the are Mike Leach running Air Raid, throwing on every down. Up 2 scores and going 5 wide.

I was at that trainwreck of a game. 100% correct worst game and coached game on both sides I have seen. I've been going to games since Mooney played at South.

Valley coaches taking 20 plus seconds to get play in, burning timeouts on change of possessions.

Lowellville coaches thinking the are Mike Leach running Air Raid, throwing on every down. Up 2 scores and going 5 wide.
I just watched some Lowellville film, the Mike Leach thing is spot on. The QB isn't very good other than he can kinda throw it far. Multiple ints it seems every game. Not accurate at all. Not a good football team.

I wonder where the St. Paul game will be played because Norwalk has a home game next Friday as well.

If 2020 were a football game, it’d be last night’s game. Anything and everything you’d think could go wrong did. Next weeks game should be about an hour with a running clock.

Last edited:
Same place. The Norwalk game will happen on the 16th. The St. Paul game will be played on the 17th.
Shouldn't be. We were told that we had to find a new venue because Harding will have a game (we share Mollenkopf). We were told the only exception is if your stadium doesn't have lights. We are playing Lowellville at Liberty.

Shouldn't be. We were told that we had to find a new venue because Harding will have a game (we share Mollenkopf). We were told the only exception is if your stadium doesn't have lights. We are playing Lowellville at Liberty.
Blowout, Lowellville doesn’t have athletes, jfk has 2 of the best in the whole division. Running clock

Welp....St Paul is playing Saturday. Maybe JFK can ride up and watch the game from the parking lot

I also was at that game and it was PAINFUL to watch two coaching staffs looking goofy. Valley calling ill advise time outs and getting plays in late have been happening all year. Kudos to Lowellville coaches for keeping us in the game by throwing that pick 6 late fourth quarter up two scores. However Ballone is slippery. This game is ready made for JFK. When you're an underdog you gotta limit possessions and bleed the clock. Lowellville cant run and is inconsistent on the passing. Lowellville D wont be able to stop or even slow down JFK. Expect an hour plus first half and a half hour second half
However I've watched a lot of Youngstown City Series ball and nothing was more painful to my eyes than the 90s Rayen/ Wilson/Timken debacle games. At least I never had to see Whitney Young versus Lincoln West

So we got:

Lowellville at JFK
Southern at St Paul

South Central at Malvern
Plymouth at Dalton

Cuyahoga Heights at Lucas
Independence at Monroeville

Buckeye Central at Leetonia
Jackson-Milton at McDonald

Im going with:
JFK
St Paul

Malvern
Dalton

Lucas
Independence

Leetonia
McDonald

Kennedy by a lot. There is no rhyme nor reason to Lowellville's offense other than they just want to throw for a lot of yards. Works if the recievers can actually catch and the QB was accurate. He's only a soph so he could be better, but the staff....

St. Paul-Southern could be interesting. Sloan at Southern will be the best athlete on the field and could cause problems, but I think St. Paul ends up winning a very close one.

Malvern is very good and wins big.

Same with Dalton.

Lucas should handle CH with little problem.

Independence has some athletes and can score. This game will depend on how physical Monroeville is. I think the Blue Devils win because they are just a more dynamic offensively.

Leetonia wins but it is very, very close. I wouldn't be shocked if Buckeye pulled the upset.

McDonald wins fairly easily.

My question about Leetonia would be if Ferry plays. He did not play against United. If Ferry plays id take the Bears by 14-21. If he’s out, a toss up

Last edited:
My question about Leetonia would be if Ferry plays. He did not play against United. If Ferry plays id take the Bears by 14-21. If he’s out, a toss up
What is wrong with Ferry? Without him they have little to no chance in these playoffs.

Qb is solid but jfk is way too skilled to even let this be a game.
I would say the QB is above average. He can throw it deep and scramble but isn't accurate. A lot of that is the scheme though. It looks like they draw their plays up in the dirt on the sidelines.

I have to say having watched all of Lowellvilles games now the MVAC is a very, very bad football league. The conference as a whole from top to bottom is down this year. Springfield is obviously the best team but they aren't nearly as good as they were last year and the rest that I watched just aren't good, including McDonald. I don't know if it's because of the covid stuff or what but it really stands out on film.

I would say the QB is above average. He can throw it deep and scramble but isn't accurate. A lot of that is the scheme though. It looks like they draw their plays up in the dirt on the sidelines.

I have to say having watched all of Lowellvilles games now the MVAC is a very, very bad football league. The conference as a whole from top to bottom is down this year. Springfield is obviously the best team but they aren't nearly as good as they were last year and the rest that I watched just aren't good, including McDonald. I don't know if it's because of the covid stuff or what but it really stands out on film.
I definitely think the league is a lot weaker this year than last. Reserve having a major culture shift and having a less successful season compared to other years with a new coaching staff was expected. I honestly think Lowellville would have been better off with last years coach. They weren’t great last year but I’d say better than this year. Another year with the old coach and not going 100% air raid maybe would have been better. Who knows.

I do not believe McDoanld is that good. They played a weak schedule but their athleticism usually helps in the tourney. JM was probably the one surprise team this year being much improved than last year but not good enough to make some noise (maybe I’m wrong).

Springfield is good. No denying that. Do they have what it takes to get to state, probably. Do I think they will make it again, no. I think it will be tough to beat Mogadore in a semi and then have to play a final. I hope I’m wrong, just stating my opinion. So yeah I agree with you lol

Lucas vs MVAC over the years:

1-0 vs New Middletown Springfield (won there in 1991. Anyone know where I could find that score?)
0-1 vs Berlin Center Western Reserve (2014 playoff loss in Orrville)
2-0 vs Waterloo (wins in 2015 and 2016 in a home/home)
1-0 vs Lowellville (70-0 win in 2016 at their place)
1-0 vs McDonald (2019 1st round playoff win in an OT thriller at home)

1-0 vs New Middletown Springfield (won there in 1991. Anyone know where I could find that score?)
TECHNICALLY, they’re only 1-0 because the MVAC did not start until the 2017 season ?.

Lucas 20
Springfield Local 16

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that info?

I always used to save the season previews in the Vindicator and it would list the schedules of all the local teams. I would enter the scores as the season went on. NMSL only won 2 games that season.

I can probably find a link in the Vindicator archives. Give me a minute.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=jtusTj6o6osC&dat=19911102&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

I think the short game write-up is on page 22. It is under the ICL round up section with McDonald in the headline

I always used to save the season previews in the Vindicator and it would list the schedules of all the local teams. I would enter the scores as the season went on.

I appreciate that. Love to have all the resources I can.

I always used to save the season previews in the Vindicator and it would list the schedules of all the local teams. I would enter the scores as the season went on. NMSL only won 2 games that season.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=jtusTj6o6osC&dat=19911102&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

I think the short game write-up is on page 22. It is under the ICL round up section with McDonald in the headline
Wow. Thank you for that article! How great! In saying that, it is wildly inaccurate. Lucas went 8-2 that season, not 9-1. Our QB was Kyle Foss and he threw the winning 4th quarter TD pass to Bill Caudill. Our RB's name was Nate Arnold (D2 Findlay HOF), not Jim. Lol.

Lowellville at JFK: JFK by as many as they want. 47-6, Kennedy rolls.

Southern at St. Paul: A banged up NSP finds a way. NSP 20, Southern 13.

South Central at Malvern: SC hangs around but Malvern pulls away late. 34-20, Malvern advances.

Plymouth at Dalton: Plymouth is much improved and makes it interesting. Dalton 21, Plymouth 7.

Cuyahoga Heights at Lucas: Lucas runs for 300 yards and moves along. 41-0, Cubs.

Independence at Monroeville: Call it a hunch, but Independence wins this one in OT. 34-28.

Buckeye Central at Leetonia: BC snuck by Wellsville. Leetonia whipped them by 24. Give me Leetonia, 28-13.

Jackson-Milton at McDonald: No problem for McDonald here. The Blue Devils stomp the Blue Jays, 42-14.

Last edited:
The Southern at St. Paul game has been moved to Saturday.
They actually wanted to play the game at 4:30 on Friday before the Norwalk game. Southern Local wanted to as well. The Ohsaa said no. They then asked if they could play earlier on Saturday so that Southern wouldn't get home so late. The OHSAA said no. Kennedy asked to move its game to Saturday due to sharing Mollenkopf with Harding. The OHSAA said no. Good ole OHSAA, always looking out for its member schools.