DV State Semifinal: Otsego (10-0) vs. Kirtland (9-0)

Otsego or Kirtland?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Otsego might as well not even show.

Otsego is better coached than OH. OH had a special class of kids which is why Coach May has been very mediocre in his career, had two fabulous years, and is back to being very mediocre.

Otsego has not faced anyone quite like Kirkland so it will certainly be interesting. Kirkland's reputation proceeds them. Hopefully the Knights can at least keep it close.

Otsego is better coached than OH. OH had a special class of kids which is why Coach May has been very mediocre in his career, had two fabulous years, and is back to being very mediocre.

Otsego has not faced anyone quite like Kirkland so it will certainly be interesting. Kirkland's reputation proceeds them. Hopefully the Knights can at least keep it close.
IB - I know you're usually railing on parochial schools so this is a new area for you, but it's actually KirTland. They've won enough in the last 20 years, probably earned the respect to at least know their name.

Kirkland is an American retail chain that sells home decor, furniture, textiles, accessories and gifts. It operates 434 stores in 37 states as well as an e-commerce enable website. It is based in Brentwood, TN. Wikipedia

Stock price: KIRK (NASDAQ)

Certainly not underestimating the Knights! Winning every single one of their games (and all by double digits) is enough to get respect out of me and others!

Like you said, I don’t believe they’ve faced anyone the caliber of Kirtland, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be coached up for this game & make things interesting! If you say the coaching is better, that can be a difference maker.

IB - I know you're usually railing on parochial schools so this is a new area for you, but it's actually KirTland. They've won enough in the last 20 years, probably earned the respect to at least know their name.

Kirkland is an American retail chain that sells home decor, furniture, textiles, accessories and gifts. It operates 434 stores in 37 states as well as an e-commerce enable website. It is based in Brentwood, TN. Wikipedia

I've also been around long enough to see a poor sap get his panties in a wad for trivial BS. But kudos, you found your moment to strike.

Thanks for all the hot tips.

Best of luck to KirTland!

Last edited:

Is that where you get your jeans?

For the record, I don't rail against Private Schools, I rail against a system that is rigged to favor Private Schools. Hope this helps.

Best of luck Otsego.

Certainly not underestimating the Knights! Winning every single one of their games (and all by double digits) is enough to get respect out of me and others!

Like you said, I don’t believe they’ve faced anyone the caliber of Kirtland, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be coached up for this game & make things interesting! If you say the coaching is better, that can be a difference maker.
Yeah, it will be the tallest task yet for this Otsego team, especially if their RB is not full go, but I'm excited to watch nonetheless.

I've also been around long enough to see a poor sap get his panties in a wad for trivial BS. But kudos, you found your moment to strike.

Best of luck to KirTland!
Easy big fella. Everyone has typos or gets autocorrected but your post just struck me as funny.
That said, you can call it “trivial bs” while I call it simply respecting a program with one of (if not the) best 15 year runs in the history of Ohio high school football.

Last edited:
The line of scrimmage battle is where i feel like ostego has the biggest disadvantage they match up well in other areas its just hard to get a push aginst kirtlands defensive front

39-13 Kirtland advances.

It was close for a half but Kirtland just wore down Otsego. As many thought, Otsego just didn’t have enough to match up with Kirtland.

Great year nonetheless for the Knights. I think Kirtland gets the 3-peat next weekend.

What was the main difference between the 1st and 2nd half? I was surprised to see it as 15-13 at the half and then for it to be so lopsided after. Did Otsego just collapse which led to Kirtland padding that scoreboard or what. Either way, props to Otsego for looking like a team that was able to hang with the Hornets for a bit. Unsurprised by the result though, Kirtland always tends to have a healthy margin of victory.

What was the main difference between the 1st and 2nd half? I was surprised to see it as 15-13 at the half and then for it to be so lopsided after. Did Otsego just collapse which led to Kirtland padding that scoreboard or what. Either way, props to Otsego for looking like a team that was able to hang with the Hornets for a bit. Unsurprised by the result though, Kirtland always tends to have a healthy margin of victory.
Otsego lost their primary RB to injury just before half. After half, they started passing more often, something they hadn't planned for?

Kirtland got inside the 10 twice in the first half. One time there was a fumble on the snap and another there was a hold and an unsportsmanlike on the same play. Hence the close score.
Otsego played a tough game. Kirtland just made adjustments on defense and their offense hit some home run plays when they needed it.
Again, great game played by Otsego, especially considering they didn’t have their leading rusher.

Correct. And he was a fantastic linebacker tonight as well. Had he been out there in the second half, who knows what happens?
Kirtland is a tremendous football program and they know how to win. They physically wear you down. Congrats and best of luck in the final. A very deserving ball club.

Otsego was put in quite a pinch when they lost #22 right before the half. #22 was already replacing their #1 RB who will be all-state this year. His injury
forced Otsego to play a freshman at LB and were down to using their 3rd RB.

Despite the odds, Otsego managed to keep it a close game until the 4th quarter.

Not taking anything away from Kirtland and what they do but had Leiter played and Gonzalez not gotten hurt this might have been a different outcome.

Not only did Otsego lose two very talented RBs (Leiter avg 180 yards throughout) but also their two inside backers. At this point of every season it becomes simple. Run the ball and stuff the opponents run. Once Gonzalez went down, as much as Otsego still fought, it was over. Their ability to do both dropped significantly.

Kirtland is a very well coached physical team. Very fun to watch. Best of luck next week.

I realize I'm way late to this party and it's moot, but Norwalk has never hosted Playoff games unless it's 1st Round for Truckers and/or Flyers. Btw, just installed FieldTurf this year.
i thought i saw that they had recently installed turf, and it was a perfect mid-point between the two schools. Does Norwalk have a nice stadium and nice bleachers?

Not taking anything away from Kirtland and what they do but had Leiter played and Gonzalez not gotten hurt this might have been a different outcome.

Not only did Otsego lose two very talented RBs (Leiter avg 180 yards throughout) but also their two inside backers. At this point of every season it becomes simple. Run the ball and stuff the opponents run. Once Gonzalez went down, as much as Otsego still fought, it was over. Their ability to do both dropped significantly.

Kirtland is a very well coached physical team. Very fun to watch. Best of luck next week.
And if Kirtland does not fumble on the goaline it's a much different game.

And if Kirtland does not fumble on the goaline it's a much different game.
And if their starting LBers play they might not even get to the goaline? I know I started this rabbit hole so I will end it. Kirtland is a great team and they deserved to win last night. Best of luck in the championship.

Otsego had a whale of a 2020. They made lemonade out of lemons. Was fun to watch. One of the few bright spots in an otherwise $chitty year. ;)

i thought i saw that they had recently installed turf, and it was a perfect mid-point between the two schools. Does Norwalk have a nice stadium and nice bleachers?
Home bleachers are 3 years old. Visitors Bleachers installed halfway last season. Turf and Track installed this past August as well as landscaping, fencing and Parking. I think it looks good although Pressbox pretty much an eyesore. Hopefully, that gets replaced soon.

PS, new scoreboard with video and graphic design as well