DV State Semi-Final: Valley View (13-1) vs Ironton (14-0)

Who Wins?

• Valley View

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Ironton

Votes: 56 64.4%

• Total voters
this is the first time in D5 that i can remember off the top of my head where each #1 seed made it out of each region

I looked at this once. Actually, it was in relation to something else I was taking a look at, the overall #1 computer point team in a given division winning the playoff championship vs. the AP Poll winner winning the playoff championship. The AP Poll is more accurate BTW.

Anyway, while looking at data for that one subject I also noticed that it is extremely rare that all four #1 computer point teams win their regions. Coming into this season it has only happened 10 times to my knowledge and five of those were prior to 1985 when four teams per region started to qualify. I believe the last time it happened was in D2 in 2019. It has never happened in D6 or D7 to my knowledge and only once prior in D5 and that was in 1983.

Of course, prior to 1980 every team that qualified was a #1 so the above is for 1980 -2021.

ghsknightsfan, you're correct. The potential sites I mentioned were off the top of my head. Only one was sufficient. But, do the math for Lancaster. It makes more sense as a site for this game.
Question... Is the seeding supposed to be a factor in site location ? Just curious. If it is, this is definitely an illogical choice.
Regardless, I'll take Ironton because of their defense and big play potential. Also, in addition to their D1 recruits, they have some others that perform on game night as well as the big names. Check out #32 Lincoln Barnes. He plays LB, RB, H-back, some slot I believe, special teams... One of out guards got temporarily hurt last night & they hurriedly put #50 on him and he played guard. Just one example...

Best of luck to VV.. not familiar with Ironton this year, but everything I’ve read says they’re big, athletic, and highly talented… which you could say most of things about every team left in the dance, I suppose. From what I’ve seen in two games, VV is athletic and plays disciplined, sound football. Should be a fun one to watch.

D997E289-9D07-4BF7-A4CB-B6DFA00C51AE.jpeg

Go IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS! TRAVEL FAR, but remember your defending THE TANK!!!! #GoTgo

ghsknightsfan, you're correct. The potential sites I mentioned were off the top of my head. Only one was sufficient. But, do the math for Lancaster. It makes more sense as a site for this game.
Question... Is the seeding supposed to be a factor in site location ? Just curious. If it is, this is definitely an illogical choice.
Regardless, I'll take Ironton because of their defense and big play potential. Also, in addition to their D1 recruits, they have some others that perform on game night as well as the big names. Check out #32 Lincoln Barnes. He plays LB, RB, H-back, some slot I believe, special teams... One of out guards got temporarily hurt last night & they hurriedly put #50 on him and he played guard. Just one example...
seeding doesn’t play a factor when selecting neutral sites. either way, Ironton and Valley View are both #1 seeds

seeding doesn’t play a factor when selecting neutral sites. either way, Ironton and Valley View are both #1 seeds
Do i think the OHSAA should have waited UNTIL after the Regional Finals were played to assign the site of the games to be played for the final 4?

Sure do!

it makes Total sense.

IRON WILL SHOW UP & Head Coach Trevon PendleTon & His Brother Jared PendleTon, & The ENTIRE IRON COACHING STAFF, who have led the FighTing TiGers to 3 final 4’s in the last 4-years & two state finals in that time as well, will work very hard ALL WEEK, & USE that location assignment as motivation to play as tenacious as they have all year!!
#GotGo

Rooting for vv but i think ironton is going to be too much. Also like the vv posters on here so pulling for the spartans

Do i think the OHSAA should have waited UNTIL after the Regional Finals were played to assign the site of the games to be played for the final 4?

Sure do!

it makes Total sense.

IRON WILL SHOW UP & Head Coach Trevon PendleTon & His Brother Jared PendleTon, & The ENTIRE IRON COACHING STAFF, who have led the FighTing TiGers to 3 final 4’s in the last 4-years & two state finals in that time as well, will work very hard ALL WEEK, & USE that location assignment as motivation to play as tenacious as they have all year!!
#GotGo
If you need to use the location of a State semifinal as motivation, you have issues. I guarantee none of your kids care where this game is being played.

Ironton is back in a familiar spot under coach Pendleton. Another chance to head back to Canton. Perkins the WR has looked great the past few weeks on top of a phenomenal season. I have saw a few posters saying they’re surprised they don’t run it a lot especially with the backs they have and I wouldn’t be shocked if they begin to run it more now.

If you need to use the location of a State semifinal as motivation, you have issues. I guarantee none of your kids care where this game is being played.
Fairly normal FB 101 stuff.

No need to imply i have issues.
But-do as you wish!

MY ISSUES ARE:

Im an IronTon fan of nearly 5-decades, being a student/athlete & indirect part of winning it all in 1979 as a Frosh @ IHS & I’ve been a diehard fan ever since.

Whether in attendance, LISTENING TO Audio Stream OR WATCHING NEARLY EVERY GAME by Video Stream LIVE since 1996 from CentRal FL!

I simply stated some facts about the recent success our new coaching staff has implemented in our program & ended it with how i feel about the next game up!!!
I am a fan, not a coach. I have the right to post as i wish & i choose to do so in the light of Good SportsMan ship!

#GoTgo

Ironton is back in a familiar spot under coach Pendleton. Another chance to head back to Canton. Perkins the WR has looked great the past few weeks on top of a phenomenal season. I have saw a few posters saying they’re surprised they don’t run it a lot especially with the backs they have and I wouldn’t be shocked if they begin to run it more now.
It has been frustrating, as a fan, to know our coach has yet to unleash a rather potent attack of 5-6 backs who can really get it done, very TRUE! He is def holding cards close to his chest!

Preps game plan for Ironton was awful. It’s as if they thought they could just go in there with their athletes and win. Ironton picked them a part. And took advantage of preps 3 turnovers. Valley view will actually have a game plan. I expect this to be a very close game with Ironton squeaking one out. They seem to be on a great run.

I know you’re familiar with SEO football. Watching Ironton beat HP so handily, how did Wheelersburg and Jackson give them good games? Both hung with Ironton well. I know both are good teams, but based on what I saw with Ironton in the Regional Final, I’m almost surprised they had any close games during the season. Very skilled group.

It has been frustrating, as a fan, to know our coach has yet to unleash a rather potent attack of 5-6 backs who can really get it done, very TRUE! He is def holding cards close to his chest!
I’m sure Ironton has the horses to run it more. They looked like they had a great group of RBs against HP. But I was also impressed with their QB. He’s a good passer and runner. With those weapons at WR, I’m not surprised they run a balanced attack.

I know you’re familiar with SEO football. Watching Ironton beat HP so handily, how did Wheelersburg and Jackson give them good games? Both hung with Ironton well. I know both are good teams, but based on what I saw with Ironton in the Regional Final, I’m almost surprised they had any close games during the season. Very skilled group.
Rivalry games. Jackson actually had a pretty good team. They beat Western Brown. Jackson’s QB is going to Ohio U. I was surprised Jackson lost close to Bishop Watterson. Thought they should win the region

Wheelersburg is a big rival and they’ve been good for as long as I can remember. Jackson is a very strong D3 team with a hoss at QB (Winters). The surprising game for most was Gallipolis. Decent D4 team gave Ironton everything they wanted. Stack the box, slow down the run game, deep safeties to guard against the big play all in an effort to make Ironton sustain long drives. Ironton has been penalized a bunch but seems to have cleaned that up in the playoffs

I saw Jackson in person this season. They were very solid.

I was there too IHS Alum. Definitely a clean hit. OHSAA gives Ironton another screwing on the game site. So much for being the higher ranked team. I don't know anything about this Valley View team, but I know Ironton is hitting on all cylinders right now.

Go Tigers !
I was at Reading for the semi-finals against Ironton in 1973 (2 game series back then). A long drive for both teams to Lancaster. We lost 7-0 to Ironton. Our QB was also our punter. Late in the game, he took a low snap and touched his knee giving Ironton good field position. Couldn't hold them and lost 7-0. As a side note, our coach was in a hospital with cancer for this game. Ohio Bell provided him with an open phone line to call plays from bed.

Carter LB - Committed to University of Cincinnati
Perkins WR - Committed to University of Cincinnati
Keyes RB - Committed to Wisconsin
Young DB/WR - Committed to Dayton

Gosset SO - OL/DL Offer from University of KY
Pittman JR - WR Offer from University of KY
Remember a few years back when Ironton had all these D1 commits on the field and Kirtland bludgeoned them with a couple kids who might have ended up playing D3.

This late in the season it's more about who's playing well than where they'll be playing in the future.

A few thoughts from an ex-Tiger (and apparently an ex-teammate of Hickt003)...
*On another thread, travel distances for every game are compared. By far, the game with the largest distance disparity is this game. Ironton got screwed unnecessarily. There were more fair sites.
*I don't think anyone is going to score much against Ironton. They're defense is nasty. For VV to win, it must be a low-scoring game.
*I've wondered at times why they don't run the ball more, too. A Wisconsin commit should get the rock a lot in D5 ball. However, a lot of times against HP, he got the ball and really had nowhere to go. He just muscled out 3-4 yards.
*D1 talent doesn't always win out. But, it's a factor.
*Carolldad, I was at that game, too. Interesting story about the coach...

After watching the way VV took apart a very sound team Friday night, I have to side with the Spartans. Ironton seems to be a little overconfident
You base Ironton is "overconfident" on what? How would you come to that assumption the day after they won their region?
Ironton took apart and shutout a very good Harvest Prep team. Believe me they will come in ready to win and confident but definitely not
overconfident. Tigers are skilled and very physical, love to hit. They have been here before. I am sure Valley View knows what's ahead of them and will be ready themselves.

GO TIGERS!

Ironton opened the season with Wheelersburg and played Jackson 3rd game of the season. This is not the same Ironton team we are talking about.

I was at Reading for the semi-finals against Ironton in 1973 (2 game series back then). A long drive for both teams to Lancaster. We lost 7-0 to Ironton. Our QB was also our punter. Late in the game, he took a low snap and touched his knee giving Ironton good field position. Couldn't hold them and lost 7-0. As a side note, our coach was in a hospital with cancer for this game. Ohio Bell provided him with an open phone line to call plays from bed.
I was there, too. One of the coldest, snowy nights I have been to a football game. It was a battle for sure. Ironton got beat by Cleveland Benedictine in the finals that year.