Dunbar emergency meeting

It sounds like they are moving forward to put the issue behind them. Doubt much comes of it, maybe a individual or two fired.

"Dayton’s school board will hold an emergency meeting at 7:30 a.m. Thursday to discuss new information about the Ohio High School Athletic Association court case involving Dunbar High School." ----Lead paragraph of the Dayton Daily News

I can assure you that school boards do not hold "emergency meetings at 7:30 a.m." on a Thursday morning to just laughably "move forward to put the issue behind them". As I stated previously back in March-- the OHSAA will win ultimately, even if the judge put Dunbar back in the tourney, the OHSAA has the ultimate hammer.:eek:

"Dayton’s school board will hold an emergency meeting at 7:30 a.m. Thursday to discuss new information about the Ohio High School Athletic Association court case involving Dunbar High School." ----Lead paragraph of the Dayton Daily News

I can assure you that school boards do not hold "emergency meetings at 7:30 a.m." on a Thursday morning to just laughably "move forward to put the issue behind them". As I stated previously back in March-- the OHSAA will win ultimately, even if the judge put Dunbar back in the tourney, the OHSAA has the ultimate hammer.:eek:

I agree with you. But won’t be surprised by anything dps does

@JeremyKelleyDDN with the news. Copies of tweets below.

In joint press statement with @OHSAASports, @DaytonSchools admits it was wrong about the key fact in its court fight, meaning Dunbar’s boys basketball team was improperly reinstated to the postseason tournament.

In statement, @DaytonSchools says "we owe an apology to Bishop Fenwick High School, Thurgood Marshall High School and the OHSAA. @OHSAASports

.@DaytonSchools confirms that after court case, new video of Jan. 10 basketball brawl came to light, showing that the key player in Dunbar’s eligibility flap DID go into the fight at the end of a junior varsity game. @OHSAASports

.@DaytonSchools says it is "in the process of making decisions about the athletic department." Superintendent Lolli says she won't speculate about who lied.

I hope the OHSAA goes back and reviews every statement made by the Super before they decide discipline. I also hope she makes an apologetic statement if she has not already.

DPS probation extended until 2020, Dunbar probation extended until 2022.
Dunbar is banned from the 2019 ohsaa basketball tournament.

Next news that should come out is that Baker is fired and the HC of Dunbar arrested for lying under oath (oh and he's a bailiff for the courts, hmmm)

Dunbar did use an ineligible player. DPS on probation now through 2020, Dunbar 2022. Corruption at its finest... Baker needs to go... Feel really bad for the Fenwick and Thurgood kids that got screwed

Per DDN:

Dunbar will not be allowed to participate in the 2019 postseason basketball tournament, as a result of this year’s eligibility mess.
The overall OHSAA probation for Dayton Public Schools is extended through June 2020. Probation for Dunbar will run through 2022.
Today, though, Dayton Public Schools confirmed that after court case, new video of the Jan. 10 basketball brawl came to light, showing that the key player in Dunbar’s eligibility flap did go into the fight at the end of a junior varsity game.
In statement, DPS said, “We owe an apology to Bishop Fenwick High School, Thurgood Marshall High School and the OHSAA.”
Fenwick was the team that had to wait for Dunbar’s court fight, and Thurgood Marshall was the team the OHSAA said should have played Fenwick.

Obviously an apology is not good enough to resolve the fact that Thurgood did the right thing and Fenwick was forced to wait 5 days to play due to Dunbar coaches not telling the truth--the Super, Baker, the "new" Dunbar AD along with coaches who lied on the witness stand need harsh penalties--the OHSAA will always win in the end!!

Nobody on this end "eating crow" now Member1!!

Could be both criminal and civil cases involved with this now. What they announced today is just what the OHSAA has agreed to.

Per DDN:

Dunbar will not be allowed to participate in the 2019 postseason basketball tournament, as a result of this year’s eligibility mess.
The overall OHSAA probation for Dayton Public Schools is extended through June 2020. Probation for Dunbar will run through 2022.
Today, though, Dayton Public Schools confirmed that after court case, new video of the Jan. 10 basketball brawl came to light, showing that the key player in Dunbar’s eligibility flap did go into the fight at the end of a junior varsity game.
In statement, DPS said, “We owe an apology to Bishop Fenwick High School, Thurgood Marshall High School and the OHSAA.”
Fenwick was the team that had to wait for Dunbar’s court fight, and Thurgood Marshall was the team the OHSAA said should have played Fenwick.

Obviously an apology is not good enough to resolve the fact that Thurgood did the right thing and Fenwick was forced to wait 5 days to play due to Dunbar coaches not telling the truth--the Super, Baker, the "new" Dunbar AD along with coaches who lied on the witness stand need harsh penalties--the OHSAA will always win in the end!!

Nobody on this end "eating crow" now Member1!!

:clap::clap::clap: not just Member1 but a few other members as well!

:clap::clap::clap: not just Member1 but a few other members as well!

Bingo Ballin--players from Dunbar should not be allowed to transfer to another school and then play in the 2019 tournament--I'd think OHSAA has addressed that as well. Feel so bad for the Thurgood folks who followed the rules after the fight and for Fenwick being forced to wait to play, which never is a positive.

The truth and OHSAA always wins!!

Bingo Ballin--players from Dunbar should not be allowed to transfer to another school and then play in the 2019 tournament--I'd think OHSAA has addressed that as well. Feel so bad for the Thurgood folks who followed the rules after the fight and for Fenwick being forced to wait to play, which never is a positive.

The truth and OHSAA always wins!!

Why should the kids not be allowed to transfer? Why should those who did not fight be penalized for adults who lied and try to cover up a MESS

Agreed. A senior on Dunbar, who wasn't involved in the JV fight, didn't have a say in his coach committing perjury, shouldn't be prevented from transferring to get away from this pretty awful situation.

Why should the kids not be allowed to transfer? Why should those who did not fight be penalized for adults who lied and try to cover up a MESS

Because the kids knew as well and benefitted already by playing a game against Fenwick that they should have not played in--and what good is the penalty of Dunbar the school not playing in the tourney, if the players who would have to sit out, are at other schools playing in the tourney--penalty would simply be in name only--sometimes penalties have HARD consequences that hurt--that's life!

Because the kids knew as well and benefitted already by playing a game against Fenwick that they should have not played in--and what good is the penalty of Dunbar the school not playing in the tourney, if the players who would have to sit out, are at other schools playing in the tourney--penalty would simply be in name only--sometimes penalties have HARD consequences that hurt--that's life!

Very true, and I would add that any player, parent or community member that would be upset with this should become involved in getting the those who caused this to happen at their school removed and replaced with individuals with leadership qualities.

Very true, and I would add that any player, parent or community member that would be upset with this should become involved in getting the those who caused this to happen at their school removed and replaced with individuals with leadership qualities.

Absolutely spirit--I have no problem with a kid from Dunbar transferring to another school for next season and play regular season games--just can't play in the tourney since that kid already played 2 extra games vs. Fenwick and Woodward due to a sham of a court case by DPS vs. OHSAA--the Dunbar players and adults knew what happened.

If the new rule passes on transfers ineligible for tourney play then its a moot point for next season anyway!!

From where and when did this "new" video appear? Sure sounds like a cover-up. Heads should roll.

If the new transfer rule passes it may not matter.

IIRC, the new transfer rule would only apply to anyone who transfers on May 16 or later. That is the day after the voting deadline for the proposed rule change. Anyone who transfers before May 16 would be grandfathered in and subject to the current rule.

The amount of time, energy, and money spent on this simply because Dunbar didn't do the right thing. Then the cover up because of a JV HS basketball game. Stupid.

There is no doubt that the person and or persons at Dunbar should be held responsible for this for not doing their homework.

However, the head of athletics for Dayton Public Schools is Mr. Mark Baker. Since he has taken over there have been multiple "scandals" for Dayton Public schools athletics. He needs to be removed.

On top of his failure as director of athletics in Dayton, he was a failure as a basketball coach. Allegedly he allowed and or encouraged a fight between two teammates in the locker room. Disgraceful. This man should have nothing to do with students and or student-athletes. Win or lose it is about teaching life lessons and handling adversity with class and maturity. This is an adult who seems to not have those qualities. Look at the article from the Dayton Daily News. . .

“The situation with Dominique was unfortunate. We just have to make sure as a team — and certainly me as the leader of this team — that we’re a little bit more responsible. I wish I could say I was a perfect man, but I’m not.”

Dominique Reed said he had endured enough verbal abuse by Graham prior to the fight.

“I’ve got to work on my temper,” Dominique said at the time, “but I’ve never been one to put up with people calling me out by my name. It was in front of all my teammates, and I can’t let nobody think that I’m soft.

“So when we get to the locker room, Coach (Baker) was like, ‘Go ahead, bang it out.’ ”

You can see the entire article here
https://www.daytondailynews.com/spo...d-after-players-fight/w5YGBKuMAyxF64jk2O5ppK/

From where and when did this "new" video appear? Sure sounds like a cover-up. Heads should roll.

You know the FIRST thing any kid does when a fight breaks out is get their phone out and start recording. There were rumors of other videos earlier in the other thread. Probably just took awhile to become "public". People knew, it's just a question WHO knew.

Did the kid in question ever go on record (testify) whether he was involved (on the court) or in the locker room?

No, the student never testified, but Chuck Taylor did. He stated the kid couldn't possibly have been involved in the fight because he saw him in the locker room/hallway to the locker room as the fight broke out. So Taylor is probably sweating out what will happen with him and his day-job as a court bailiff right now. His job as a coach is the least of his concerns.

I read the earlier articles on this mess.

The Dayton super was bashing the OHSAA quite boisterously when all this was going on.
She acused the OHSAA of being vindictave and trying to get DPS
She acused the OHSAA of not knowing the facts.
She acused the OHSAA of not being professional.

I think the Dayton super has a ton of egg on her face.
It turns out these comments she made should actually should be pointed at her and her "team" of professionals.

And the comments she made, were false. Unfounded. Accusational. Unprofessional.

And correct me if I'm wrong. The DPS basically acused the referees on lying abut the incident. Acused them of not doing their jobs correctly. They owe them an apology as well.

How does she escape unscathed in this?

Absolutely spirit--I have no problem with a kid from Dunbar transferring to another school for next season and play regular season games--just can't play in the tourney since that kid already played 2 extra games vs. Fenwick and Woodward due to a sham of a court case by DPS vs. OHSAA--the Dunbar players and adults knew what happened.

If the new rule passes on transfers ineligible for tourney play then its a moot point for next season anyway!!

Comet I'm all in on Dunbar getting what they deserve. They even messed up Princeton's football season 2 years ago. But I can not agree that the kids should be punished when you have grown adults acting irresponsible and not telling the truth under oath. You can't treat these kids like adults when you feel like it, but call this a amateur sport

At the end of the day. It was just plain stupid of Dunbar and DPS for letting this happen knowing their recent history