Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

Burchfield (Hartley) isn't going anywhere. His kid is at Hartley and he has the horses coming back next year to win a D3 state title.

Burchfield (Hartley) isn't going anywhere. His kid is at Hartley and he has the horses coming back next year to win a D3 state title.
He can get much better players staying there .He and Hartley have never had more consistent talent coming in on an annual basis than they have now . Not saying that he is recruiting , but he is an entrenched successful east side private school coach and the kids are interested in the program over there .The winning and being a STATE level { top 4-8 every year} D-3 program every year and the school is a draw . Coming to Coffman would be a bad fit , all due respect to Saint Brad { We don't let just anyone come to our school they have to fit our program } . I mean Hartley crushes Coffman every year at the FROSH level , why would he leave all that talent ?

Last edited:
Super Bowl Sunday is almost upon us and it certainly feels a lot different than it usually does . No radio row , no scenes from the street , no bustle or hustle { Jobs contacts , business that gets done during SB week is a big deal } limited crowds , just football . Home teams in the play-offs had less of an advantage with little noise and much less 'juice " but I suppose getting 3.5 with TB getting to sleep in their own beds and commute to the Stadium as they did in 8 other games is a slight advantage?

From a fundamental football betting standpoint I feel very similarly to last years game . San Francisco I thought was the better football team , up front , defensively , more physical. Same thing this year .Last year's game I had pretty much exactly wright for 55 minutes right down to the tempo , flow, and scoring .Mahomes then launched a quasi prayer downfield where TWO SF defenders got a bit lost turned around and let the ball that hung in the air for a long while to nestle in Hill's arms , huge game changing play . Mahomes was MEH most of the night and SF controlled things pretty well until the end . Congrats to the Chiefs and Patrick I suppose , but a bit of shame on SF for not finishing things.

This year Tampa has the better personnel up front where many games are won as we know. Not all , but most? So in that vane this is the crux of the matter with why I think TB either wins the game outright or loses by 1- 3 points . When Tampa has the ball they will face a challenge from the Chiefs pass rush , but the challenge looks more like a stalemate . Tampa's Pass blocking win rate is right at the league average { 16} and Kansas City's pass rush win rate is ranked at 18th. The reason I think the pass rush will be further mitigated is the fact that TB is running the ball a bit better now as Ronald Jones is healthier now to complement Fournette and Tampa Bay O-Line while not dominant in the run game at 17th in the league in win rate , KC'S run stop win rate is 26th in the league .

Tampa Bay's embarrassment of riches at receiver { Brown back along with Evans Godwin Miller and two capable TE's including one with loads of big game experience who is obviously very familiar with Brady } going against KC secondary ? Advantage TB . With a pretty good run game going against a porous KC run stop unit ? I think TB can score enough to win vs even an explosive KC offense.

When KC has the ball they obviously rely on the great Mahomes . How much ? KC run block win rate is 31st IN THE LEAGUE .There are 32 teams. They are also missing two starting O-Line including Stud LT Fisher. Not good . Insult to injury is the fact that the TB defense is 2nd in the league in the league in run stop win rate . What are the chances that KC has any kind of consistent run game ? TB just played a very good Green Bay run game with a excellent O-Line in terms of run blocking { Best , but without Bahktiari a bit lower} and stuffed it at times. Now Jones going out for the entire second half hurt the Packers and helped the Bucs defense BUT an impressive performance just the same.

So KC can still be dangerous , put up points and win despite this because Mahomes , Kelce , and Hill are that talented and dangerous .But this should help the TB pass rush pin their ears back more readily. Tampa has a very good pass rush which has a top 5 average win rate . KC pass protection is good at number 5 in the league , BUT two starters including stud LT? TB is healthier . Mahomes may be getting all his steps in trying to avoid this bunch .

KC recently scored a crap load of points vs. Buffalo , but before that they struggled for the better part of two months in the red zone . Buffalo defense it must be noted was giving up pretty big yards most of the year. Phillip Rivers threw for a ton and moved the ball most of the afternoon .Baltimore did as well but had a pick in the end zone and two FG' attempts doink of the uprights { from the most accurate kicker in history , wind was pretty bad { lost side with Baltimore but hit the UNDER} . Tom Brady is a better red zone QB than Jackson of course and the TB receivers are MUCH better than Baltimore's . Recency " bias may be at work here . First game KC got off to a 17-0 lead with Hill doing major damage , as in car totaled damage not being a strong enough description here. Typhoon wiping out a village type damage { 235 yards} . Bracket coverage , pass rush , little run game threat should help keep him at less than half that type of damage ? Hopefully.

This one should be close , and be a game that should go down to the last couple possessions . That = taking the 3.5 and what I feel is the better overall football team { stronger up front } with more 'good players . TB has been rising in terms of their performances , KC for two months had been getting worse albeit still winning and still a great team . Both can be true. KC did snap out of their ATS funk and covered easily as we thought they would vs Buffalo so may be they regained their Mojo ? Still like TB for the reasons above and sometimes things just work out for teams and they ride that momentum all the way to a podium with a shiny trophy atop of it . Even if that reality isn't realized ? Good chance it falls just short and the margin is a few points .

SB Sunday a bit muted for the first time ever, no long week of media with a radio row. No huge throngs of people milling about soaking up the atmosphere along with warmer temps and some sun . About 20- 25 thousand people get to go to the game . 7500 health care workers. Nice gesture . Many watching with a few people instead of a group ? Not hanging out at a sports bar for 4 plus hours is probably a good idea . Last game of the season . Been a good year all things considered. This state got to play HS football , while not the same experience , getting a season in was huge. Some states moved the season only to have the pandemic still put the season in jeopardy . College football was choppy. Staggered . Some conferences seemed more normal , others operated like it was a glorified exhibition season with what felt like a couple scrimmages and a couple real games . { Pac-12}

NFL is KING of the American sports world. They have the biggest printing press . They played all their games . They had empty stadiums and some with fans depending on the location . A lot of people still watched , but there was a 7 percent decline from the season before . Some games were re-scheduled , games were sometimes played on weird days{ all seven days of the week saw some action } , it was an election year , pre-occupation with COVID and the economy? Not sure but that kind of drop should be fleeting and should see a return to normalcy next year { ratings but not full 'Normal " life unfortunately }

Anyway a good day to sit back with a few people , enjoy the commercials , some good food { still figuring out the menu but a Mexican theme is probably going to be the choice } drinks , a fire , and some action of course . Many more plays on this type of day for many. Dabbling in some props adds to the viewing pleasure . Nothing crazy but a handful and a half of nice opportunity's . [Some numbers may be a bit different now , these are what I got } numbers are based on a 100 bet { -110 to win a 100 or + 135 on 100 for example}

Tyreke Hill OVER 93.5 { -115} Receiving yards - Now Hill won't go for video game numbers like the earlier meeting , but he either hit a longer home -run or a small handful of explosive chunk plays.

Both teams will have the lead in the first half . + 135 , Brady has never led a TD drive on his first possession and has very slow first quarters in SB's , he has great weapons but I see may be one team getting a FG and the other getting a TD early , and both teams are good at coming back from deficits.

Fournette Anytime TD + 120 - He will get chances to score down close either on a hand-off or perhaps a swing pass ?

Ronald Jones OVER 8.5 carries - 110 - He's getting close to full health and with a week extra off I think he's a key here and will get about 10-11 carries . Important to establish the run game .

Godwin UNDER - 5.5 catches - - 120 - Brady spreads it around so well and has two TE targets and 4 other receivers and two backs to distribute the ball to. I see Godwin having may be 4 catches tops ?

Last score of the game a Field goal or safety + 135 - Envision a kick being a decisive play at the end [GB kicked it late for a lame play lol} Good odds

Largest lead of the game UNDER 14.5 EVEN .

Will the opening kick -off be a touchback - YES - 200 2-1 not bad considering that over 80 percent of the kick with these teams are touchbacks .

Don't usually peruse these type of plays but this one kind of stuck out and will be an instant win or loss . Which QB will be shown first AFTER the National anthem starts ? BRADY - 115 same odds, but I think they show Brady the old warhorse playing in his 10th before Mahomes.

KC's Darrell Williams OVER 13.5 Receiving yards - -115 - TB pressure with Barrett and Pierre Paul = a couple quick swings in the flat to Williams? He turns just one up for a nice chunk gets us there.

1st scoring play is a FG - + 170 - Small play at a nice + 170 = good value

KC' LB Sorenson OVER 5.5 tackles/assists - -150 - Don't love laying this price but I think he is , in on the action early and for most of the night. Have hit more than I haven't in tackles number props BUT guys getting hurt has got me a couple times over the years .

Parlay of Kelce WILL have more catches than Godwin { - 320 } with Will the first play result in a first down NO { - 240 }

Brady OVER .05 yards rushing - sacks don't count against of course BUT kneel downs DO . Mahomes went over his total last year but three straight kneeldowns resulted in a - 15 yards that killed the play . Knew a friend who had that . Not good . Brady one sneak [ He's one of gthe best at it } and no kneel down = a win ? Hopefully

Gronkowski OVER 27 .5 yards even - Chiefs have trouble covering Tight Ends { bottom five in the league } Brate is also a target but Brady will look to Gronk a few times downfield most likely as he knows him well obviously. Think there is a decent chance for one chunk and a couple shorts . Brate over as well similar .

MORE rushing Yards Bucs - Chiefs -115 , BUCS should get a handful more yards despite being outrushed in the first meeting. Bucs were down 17-0 on that one, had to throw a bit more to get back in it. and Chiefs were milking clock a bit after getting that lead . Don't see that happening this time .

A few more possible.

Over 70 applications in so far. The players and teaching staff at the school want Crager as the new head coach, it will be very interesting to see what Mr. Ulring and Mr. Sheldon do.

Over 70 applications in so far. The players and teaching staff at the school want Crager as the new head coach, it will be very interesting to see what Mr. Ulring and Mr. Sheldon do.

In general people want the least change in life . Transitions are hard . Tough decision I’m sure . Kids wouldn’t be jazzed to start over and impress a whole new staff . Apps time is nearly finished.

As Coach Rios pointed out in the Jerome thread, the number is irrelevant . Of course these jobs are coveted for the advantages you may have within the district. Support infrastructure , pay , smart hardworking kids with expectations placed upon them by parents , the school and the coaches. No offense to most of these apps. Paper shredder and delete buttons will get Overtime pay . Odds are they stay with the guy who is known , successful at what he has done for many years now , and is respected in the building , by the players , other coaches and administration .AHM has said the info that he has{ many people like to tell him stuff so he can come here and bash the program and community periodically and give us hearsay that many assistant coaches hate the culture where they work { Stop whining to AHM and his kind and go get anohter job if you don't like it is always my take} . So who knows . He outed Coach Crabtree publicly here , so we know his character is lacking. But may be he is right . New regime for a troubled broken program that embarrasses a few old white guys{ women ?} within the administration . He is giving us a whole rundown on a cadre of applicants though so it's OK that he actually hates this community . Oh wait . Like clockwork he will appear by late morning at the latest lol.

How about that TB pass rush ? $$$$$$$ Damn that was what you call a box to wire winner. Grabbing the 3-3.5 was a easy call fundamentally but I didn't se that coming even though I believe 4 of the KC starting O-Lineman last night had bene CUT by someone at some point in their career . it looked like it didn't it? If KC had their starting tackles it would have been a different game but TB was still the better team . Depth is a thing in the NFL and KC showed it doesn't much of any of it in that O-Line unit

Still hungover from the SB Harry? Or still keeping the bender going? You sound really bitter with your posts about AHM. Do you need a safe space? You’re also lol-ing your own posts again.
Very interesting to see where Coffman goes with this hire.

*****Reminder*****
Harry, there are specific threads for Pro and College football, hope this helps.

I like Harrycranes passion for Coffman. He doesnt bother me in the slightest. I enjoy his banter. And it makes me feel like a little more of a person knowing that I can trigger him for months on end with a single strike of a keyboard. I wish him no ill will.

I am no more or less a Coffman fan than of anyone else. I follow high school football all around Columbus and have for years. I have gotten to know a lot of people through the years, and when I have insight that people want Im willing to share it.

It will be interesting to see where they go with this hire. I really dont know much. I have heard a lot of establish coaches that have called and talked to Duane, but have not heard a lot of them have applied. The kids want Coach Crager, and no one could argue with his character or impact on the players as people. But some of the issues that admin have wanted to move away from, he has been close to. So it will be very interesting.

I like Harrycranes passion for Coffman. He doesnt bother me in the slightest. I enjoy his banter. And it makes me feel like a little more of a person knowing that I can trigger him for months on end with a single strike of a keyboard. I wish him no ill will.

I am no more or less a Coffman fan than of anyone else. I follow high school football all around Columbus and have for years. I have gotten to know a lot of people through the years, and when I have insight that people want Im willing to share it.

It will be interesting to see where they go with this hire. I really dont know much. I have heard a lot of establish coaches that have called and talked to Duane, but have not heard a lot of them have applied. The kids want Coach Crager, and no one could argue with his character or impact on the players as people. But some of the issues that admin have wanted to move away from, he has been close to. So it will be very interesting.

You’ve been a critic of the program and the community over the years which is your right . I call it like I see it . I have seen and read your for quite some time . I wonder sometimes what the program itself has done to cause embarrassment. I have an idea what some people’s root problem is and it’s pretty pathetic .

I don’t consider you a troll despite your condemnations and judgements over the years , and any info is appreciated . Pretty well read space and only ONE real Troll ?! (. Not You as I said ) Not bad .

Yesterday's game revealed a universal truth about football at all levels in this era. Getting consistent heat on quarterbacks and being able to protect your own goes a LONG way towards winning football games . The crux of my opinion that the Bucs would may be win and getting 3.5 was the ONLY way to go was the pass rush that we saw give even GB some issues and even without Bahktiari they had a superior unit to the Chiefs .

Just a MEH unit with their tackles out of this game . Replacing a STUD left tackle is difficult for most and for the Chiefs their lack of depth on the O-line was a fatal flaw . Left Tackle had all kinds of problems , and for some reason it kind of reminded me of Patriots Max Lane { My brother in law's student when he was an instructor at the Naval Academy at the time } trying to handle Reggie White . It didn't go well for either.

Now it could have been mitigated some IF the Chiefs were able to better outflank the Bucs on the perimeter .Bucs not only have a vey good pass rush but they run to the ball sideline to sideline as well as anyone . The Chiefs were actually able to get some gains in the run game because the Bucs figured , 'You can have those gains ,but you aren't getting anything downfield and you aren't turning the corner on us on the perimeter.

Mahomes looked like a really talented athletic High school QB whose TEAM was simply overmatched. I mean he was back-peddling and then he often just kept going as if he was running away from angry hornets escaping from a hive . He moved wide and often ran out of room before he could find anyone open . Some of the throws he launched in futility while chased were from outrageous arm angles and showed his insane natural ability . Brady has been called a 'System " QB by detractors . Nonsense . He played and learned to play in a system that became HIS . He played with a great program { Patriots call it a program as do some who once were in that organization} that won a lot of games BECAUSE of Brady's greatness and sometimes when Brady was just OK in play-off games .{ Handful of MEH games which is to be expected when you play in some many play-off games which are against good teams most of the time }.

Being a game manager is a kind of insult to NFL QB's . I never thought this at it's core , because there are some really talented guys who are also good 'Game managers" and Brady while MUCH more than just a game manager, is in fact a GREAT game manager . I would phrase it more that he manages the game and situations BETTER than anyone I have seen . His ball handling, his pre-snap reads, the way he carries out fakes , his fundamentals , his decision making . His sense of risk reward . His infectious confidence . His work ethic. He has had so many reps at this point he sees things a few steps before most everyone else. If he was a boxer he would have unparalleled 'ring Generalship " as they call it , great command .

Now they did get a few breaks with the refs, BUT when they did ? They took full advantage. This was a bad beatdown no matter the calls. Physical mismatch as I opined a bit on during the week. KC WAS having trouble in the red-zone overall the last 7-8 weeks, adn the Buffalo game kind of masked some issues and then losing by far their best O-lineman ? - Blinking red light . Danger.

Two things can be true , Brady is clearly the most accomplished successful QB in the history of football and was before last night's game . He has bene great and won , pretty good and won and his team has won a majority of games when he wasn't on point . His leadership , experience and the way he manages a game is un-paralleled . These true statements DO NOT take away from his talent and other abilities . He's got the whole package . The BEST package . The sum of all his QB parts is the BEST even if he doesn't have the best arm or make the most spectacular plays , or move that well. He manages just fine without some of these things that some others. have. The others don't have his whole or complete 'Package ".

I think we can slow down for a bit on the KC dynasty talk . Last night's Chiefs team does NOT beat 3-4 NFC teams . TB was the worst match-up for them , BUT the Chiefs need some more depth , and more defensive strength if it wants to make a Patriots like run going forward. As it was the Patriots went almost a decade in between SB wins in the middle of the Brady - Belichick dynasty . This is HARD . Patriots won a lot of close SB's , lost a few as well . KC now goes back to the drawing board a bit which seems a bit absurd when you figure that last night's game was the FIRST time in Patrick Mahomes career that he and the Chiefs were blown out with him at QB? ABSURD !!! But still there is work to be done .

Last edited:
You’ve been a critic of the program and the community over the years which is your right . I call it like I see it . I have seen and read your for quite some time . I wonder sometimes what the program itself has done to cause embarrassment. I have an idea what some people’s root problem is and it’s pretty pathetic .

I don’t consider you a troll despite your condemnations and judgements over the years , and any info is appreciated . Pretty well read space and only ONE real Troll ?! (. Not You as I said ) Not bad .
Produced HarryCrane as a fan?
Other than that, nothing. Dublin and its community should be very proud of what has been created there.

I've heard of at least two outside coaches who are being "interviewed" but have not applied. They will apply once the administration narrows it down to the final 2 or 3 - assuming they are in that group obviously. Most, not all, but most accomplished coaches just don't openly apply for jobs until it gets down to the final 2 or 3 - unless it is widely known they are disgruntled in their current position. Neither of these guys would fall into that 'disgruntled' description.

I've heard of at least two outside coaches who are being "interviewed" but have not applied. They will apply once the administration narrows it down to the final 2 or 3 - assuming they are in that group obviously. Most, not all, but most accomplished coaches just don't openly apply for jobs until it gets down to the final 2 or 3 - unless it is widely known they are disgruntled in their current position. Neither of these guys would fall into that 'disgruntled' description.

Why not say the two “names?” Are they current head coaches?

What does interviewed mean? Conversation on the phone... I am sure the AD's have been busy fielding calls from HC's. Wanting to know possible teaching openings, number of years offered, etc. before they would apply. And to feel out the AD. I have heard some names too... of contacting administration (not sure who / or what exactly it meant). Brian White. Ed Terwilliger. Zach Smith. And a Westerville coach... not sure which one.

White is the right age but he would be interested in Coffman ? He did coach at Scioto, but I don't see it . Terwilliger is what 64? Zach Smith , young but baggage?

Not sure if they can pay White / he can leave his teaching gig making 100k. If they found a way, would be willing to miss the Hawks to watch the first Coffman vs Davidson game!!!

I wouldn't call White's former offense at Davidson the wing T , but I catch your drift. Coffman has been a more run based team overall the last few years because of the personnel they have had . Big rebuild this year in many areas and units , BUT what they do have is a good QB who can throw. He is also an athlete who can move well and run if need be. Getting the ball out quick and throwing a bit more this year will make sense .

Brian White is an incredibly accomplished head coach. Records and titles speak for themselves. Pretty good chance that he will not be the next HC at Coffman. I wouldn't spend a lot of cycles trying to think through that one.

I think this job could create a domino effect as far as openings. I have been hearing on here that their is a internal guy. But if they go outside, I think it will be a current Central Ohio head coach. Also it will be interesting who will announce their hire first. Jerome or Coffman. I am sure their is overlap of candidates. Two really good jobs!

Jerome has "published" a timeline that leads to a recommendation on or around the week of March 15. I believe Coffman timeline is similar (+ or -). In regards to "overlap", while there might be overlap in terms of who has submitted applications, I don't believe the main candidates that Coffman is focused on are in the mix at Jerome.

Harry -- your memories of the day that Columbus native son Buster Douglas upset Mike Tyson in Tokyo? Initial reactions?

Harry -- your memories of the day that Columbus native son Buster Douglas upset Mike Tyson in Tokyo? Initial reactions?
Remember that weekend pretty well ( me and my sisters birthday weekend(B-days a few years and 1 day apart was skiing that weekend in Vermont with a few friends and girlfriends, sister and her boyfriend at the time whose parents owned the chalet .

After skiing all day and then settling in drinking beer for a few hours blasting some music we got Chinese takeout and I remember not being that curious about the outcome but we put on ESPN and I came back from the kitchen after getting more food and my sister of all people said. “. Hey Tyson lost “‘ , I looked at her and said what do you mean he lost ?

I was shocked at first of course , but he was a bit flabby and at that time he was dealing with some issues with his trainers and death of Gus . ?? He was kind of a mess . Definitely remember thinking how the story of his ( Douglas ) losing his mom and being really motivated . That was the last time I believe Buster was in really top shape . Tyson reign of terror had ended . Most were scared of Tyson , kind of beaten before the fight . Douglas in great shape with a great jab wasn’t scared and his skill and execution was on point that night . Tyson was flat and obviously hadn’t trained as well for that fight .

Last edited:
Remember that weekend pretty well ( me and my sisters birthday weekend(B-days a few years and 1 day apart was skiing that weekend in Vermont with a few friends and girlfriends, sister and her boyfriend at the time whose parents owned the chalet .

After skiing all day and then settling in drinking beer for a few hours blasting some music we got Chinese takeout and I remember not being that curious about the outcome but we put on ESPN and I came back from the kitchen after getting more food and my sister of all people said. “. Hey Tyson lost “‘ , I looked at her and said what do you mean he lost ?

I was shocked at first of course , but he was a bit flabby and at that time he was dealing with some issues with his trainers and death of Gus . ?? He was kind of a mess . Definitely remember thinking how the story of his ( Douglas ) losing his mom and being really motivated . That was the last time I believe Buster was in really top shape . Tyson reign of terror had ended . Most were scared of Tyson , kind of beaten before the fight . Douglas in great shape with a great jab wasn’t scared and his skill and execution was on point that night . Tyson was flat and obviously hadn’t trained as well for that fight .

Ah. Buster Douglass. The truth is that Mike Tyson lost his edge as soon as he signed with Don King and left his original circle of poeple who made him what he was IMO. That would have been after he flattened Spinks. He was wobbled by Frank Bruno the second fight after the Spinks fight and didn't look the same. He lost the fire. Buster was motivated and in great shape for him. I still maintain that version of Buster would have had a chance against any heavyweight in history. Of course we all know that was the only fight where Buster was in shape and motivated. The Tyson pre Don King version was the most destructive force I had seen in the heavyweight division. George Foreman back in the early 70's was comparable. As far as Brian White becoming the head coach at Coffman, I certainly do not see that although I've lived long enough to never say never. On a side note, after 22 years in Hilliard and living across the street from Davidson High School, I have moved away from Franklin County. My days at Davidson stadium will be scarce going forward. It was a great run while it lasted with some wonderful memories. It will never be the same. That's life.

Ah. Buster Douglass. The truth is that Mike Tyson lost his edge as soon as he signed with Don King and left his original circle of poeple who made him what he was IMO. That would have been after he flattened Spinks. He was wobbled by Frank Bruno the second fight after the Spinks fight and didn't look the same. He lost the fire. Buster was motivated and in great shape for him. I still maintain that version of Buster would have had a chance against any heavyweight in history. Of course we all know that was the only fight where Buster was in shape and motivated. The Tyson pre Don King version was the most destructive force I had seen in the heavyweight division. George Foreman back in the early 70's was comparable. As far as Brian White becoming the head coach at Coffman, I certainly do not see that although I've lived long enough to never say never. On a side note, after 22 years in Hilliard and living across the street from Davidson High School, I have moved away from Franklin County. My days at Davidson stadium will be scarce going forward. It was a great run while it lasted with some wonderful memories. It will never be the same. That's life.

Hope all is well TA, Good luck in your new locale. Tyson was razor sharp when Cus was alive, and he had his full team of trainers including Teddy Atlas who was great. Douglas never had the discipline and while he suddenly got it for that fight's preparation , it wasn't in his nature to sustain it . Happens to a lot of boxers. Many come from dysfunction and have some deep seated issues. As it is with many people and teams and businesses, handling success can be as hard as handling failure.

Yes all runs and great times and eras eventually come to an end and that exact experience is never duplicated. Not to say that say some years down the road these runs of success can't com back to an extant at Davidson or other places where great runs end . Coffman coach leaves and this era ends and the first year is as big a rebuild as there has been in a while and one of the couple biggest ones in 20 odd years ?

I have likened Davidson's run as a shorter version of Odessa Permian's { FNL} Permian opened in 1959 , they won first title in 1965 and had a 30 year run of pretty much uninterrupted excellence . Made last final appearance in 1995 and haven't been back to as far as the Semi round at all and haven't been to a quarterfinal in over 20 years .{ 6 state titles in 30 years and 11 appearances in the final } Davidson under White had an incredible run . Timing was good for White as Davidson had great numbers before Bradley opened and always had most of the good kids in the building come out. Just getting to the finals twice would have bene a huge accomplishment , but wining both times? Wow. Multiple final 4's , having a good record against their main rival Coffman who had some really good teams during their run, and dominated UA their second rival in conference.

Parallels with Permian besides the success was the fact that they often achieved with players who didn't always look the part , was undersized at times and not a ton of D-1 players which many schools who win at the big school level in many states have. Tradition , work ethic , and the fact that play for play no one gave more effort than they did were staples of both programs . When you are a bit short on talent and playing a team bigger than you ? Great effort , going full bore on as many plays as possible , being in better condition, being more disciplined and executing better equalizes things a bit.

I don't know if White specifically took things from Permian and their most successful coach John Wilkins {1972-85 148-16 - 7 and two state titles } but if I ever interviewed White I would certainly point out the similarities. Aside from the above examples , Wilkins was a huge believer in discipline , practicing hard , featured the run game { they ran Wing T and threw the ball more than Davidson } controlling the ball , playing really good defense often with units that were greater than the sum of their parts, and a big emphasis on special teams and the kicking game. Making fewer mistakes than their opponent , winning the turnover battle a good majority of the time . Wilkins interviews on the keys to success always stressed these things. One of the maddening things about being a fan of a team who was playing Davidson was aside from the obvious 4 yards a play and treating the clock like a stuck pig , was there consistency in the kicking game and winning the field position battle .

And the one thing that Wilkins often said and preached to his players was ' Good things happen to good people ", and White as many know also subscribed to that life dynamic . White and Davidson were always a program that reached out to other schools in their time's of crisis{ Student misfortune death etc} and he really believed in the program being good people first, work hard , max effort, be coachable, and practice and prepare relentlessly . Both were hard on players and put some pressure on themselves to achieve. Wilkins left the HC position to become the AD of the districts 2 High schools { Odessa and Permian} White left when he thought it was just time to leave much like Coach Crabtree . White has another coaching run in him IMO . Don't think it will be Coffman , but whoever it is will be getting a great coach obviously but they better be ready to work .

When a program loses a great coach as Davidson did with Coach White it often is a struggle to find the next guy. Being competitive because of a good coach is one thing but when a program can be successful coach after coach...that's a true football program/community. Coach White was extremely successful but he was fortunate to inherit a Davidson program in 1999 that was use to a tough head coach and had some success. The former Davidson head coach from 1991 to 1998 was former West Jefferson and Chillicothe Ohio High School HOF coach John Sines. In 8 seasons at Davidson Sines went 57-27 with 2 playoff appearances (State Semifinalist in 1993) with only 1 losing season. Following the very successful run by Coach White will be a far greater challenge. Davidson struggled a bit in 2020 but they have the guy they wanted so hopefully it will work out.

Coach Crabtree over the last 20 seasons has taken the Dublin Coffman football program to another level, one which they had not experienced. Hopefully the next guy can build on it but it's tough finding the guy who replaces 'The Guy'. Hoping former WJ alum Coach Crager gets the job.

When a program loses a great coach as Davidson did with Coach White it often is a struggle to find the next guy. Being competitive because of a good coach is one thing but when a program can be successful coach after coach...that's a true football program/community. Coach White was extremely successful but he was fortunate to inherit a Davidson program in 1999 that was use to a tough head coach and had some success. The former Davidson head coach from 1991 to 1998 was former West Jefferson and Chillicothe Ohio High School HOF coach John Sines. In 8 seasons at Davidson Sines went 57-27 with 2 playoff appearances (State Semifinalist in 1993) with only 1 losing season. Following the very successful run by Coach White will be a far greater challenge. Davidson struggled a bit in 2020 but they have the guy they wanted so hopefully it will work out.

Coach Crabtree over the last 20 seasons has taken the Dublin Coffman football program to another level, one which they had not experienced. Hopefully the next guy can build on it but it's tough finding the guy who replaces 'The Guy'. Hoping former WJ alum Coach Crager gets the job.

Good points. What I saw on the field last year from Davidson was a lack of toughness especially on the defensive side. The offense is what it is. Sometimes stagnant, sometimes very good. The bread and butter has always been the defense. The defense could not stop a JV team last year. I felt like I was watching Westland all year. I would love to know the defensive statistics because from what I saw, they had to have one of the worst defenses in Central Ohio at least at the division 1 level. I know they were down in talent last year but that show was horrible to watch on the field. Very little fire or toughness on defense. I saw multiple times where defensive starters just turned away to avoid contact. Saw it on kickoff coverage too. That was a first for me. To me that speaks of the head coach who is more of a players coach hence the results. Very little margin for error in the Davidson program especially now. Being a players coach there is not going to cut it IMO.

Baring something unforeseen, Coach Crager will be the next coach at Coffman.

Good for him if he ultimately gets it . Many programs go this route { some college programs as well for continuity easy transition, respect familiarity etc.} still curious as to who may have or is tempting them a bit . Crager paid his dues for certain and I think he can do a very good job , but a part of me as a fan was kind of curious if they would go the 'big Regime change " route .

Last edited: