Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

I am extremely familiar with the Coffman program, but not close to the coaching search other than rumors that people are throwing out around town.

I'll add my $.02 in that I believe they will hire from the outside. After spending many years in the program, I believe the program needs a bit of a "refresh", and my opinion is that is best accomplished by a Coach who has a proven track record of doing so. I have TREMENDOUS respect for Coach Crabtree and the positive impact he had on my son and my family, but I do think some standards have slipped the last 4-5 years and that is what I mean by "refresh". I wonder if in order to 'get the ship back on course', Coach questioned if he was the right person to do that. No insight, just a thought. I think they need to hire from the outside someone who can just do a "reset" with the current members of the program.

I think its a dream job for a coach. Tremendous administrative support at Coffman HS ..... tremendous. Great facilities both in terms of playing and practice fields and locker room, but also weight training facility and equipment. Dublin City Schools is a great teaching destination. Great involvement and access to alumni base for "special projects" and a Booster organization that generates significant $$ with general fundraising and pay-it-forward campaigns. They will always have talented and hard working kids. Some years talent is more than others but that is the case everywhere. I think next years team will surprise some people. I really do.

Its a big job and I'm anxious to hear more information in the coming weeks. Go Rocks!

I am extremely familiar with the Coffman program, but not close to the coaching search other than rumors that people are throwing out around town.

I'll add my $.02 in that I believe they will hire from the outside. After spending many years in the program, I believe the program needs a bit of a "refresh", and my opinion is that is best accomplished by a Coach who has a proven track record of doing so. I have TREMENDOUS respect for Coach Crabtree and the positive impact he had on my son and my family, but I do think some standards have slipped the last 4-5 years and that is what I mean by "refresh". I wonder if in order to 'get the ship back on course', Coach questioned if he was the right person to do that. No insight, just a thought. I think they need to hire from the outside someone who can just do a "reset" with the current members of the program.

I think its a dream job for a coach. Tremendous administrative support at Coffman HS ..... tremendous. Great facilities both in terms of playing and practice fields and locker room, but also weight training facility and equipment. Dublin City Schools is a great teaching destination. Great involvement and access to alumni base for "special projects" and a Booster organization that generates significant $$ with general fundraising and pay-it-forward campaigns. They will always have talented and hard working kids. Some years talent is more than others but that is the case everywhere. I think next years team will surprise some people. I really do.

Its a big job and I'm anxious to hear more information in the coming weeks. Go Rocks!
Nice post . Some solid takes and it’s good to hear from a Rocks football family member out here . If you don’t mind sharing what standards do you feel have slipped ? Not being disagreeable and all programs need a refresh at some point . Just would like to hear your take on what standards need to be upgraded or refreshed .

Thanks Harry. I always appreciate your posts re: Coffman football. Usually pretty accurate and fair. Keep posting. In regards to your question, I'll just leave that to your (and others) imagination. Coach accomplished too much and positively impacted too many kids and families to get into all of that in this forum. And quite honestly, my statement above is just my opinion, not a proven fact, and I might be way off base. Sadly, too many people take rumors on message boards and regurgitate them as facts. Not doing that to Coach without a "fair trial" if you know what i mean.

I think there are a lot of ways to build and run a winning program and I look forward to seeing how the next coach at Coffman chooses to try to accomplish that. I will support the program 'til the day I die. Go Rocks!

Thanks Harry. I always appreciate your posts re: Coffman football. Usually pretty accurate and fair. Keep posting. In regards to your question, I'll just leave that to your (and others) imagination. Coach accomplished too much and positively impacted too many kids and families to get into all of that in this forum. And quite honestly, my statement above is just my opinion, not a proven fact, and I might be way off base. Sadly, too many people take rumors on message boards and regurgitate them as facts. Not doing that to Coach without a "fair trial" if you know what i mean.

I think there are a lot of ways to build and run a winning program and I look forward to seeing how the next coach at Coffman chooses to try to accomplish that. I will support the program 'til the day I die. Go Rocks!
Fair enough . I think sometimes it's just ' Time " to make a move for people. 20 years at one job in any sector is a long time , especially in this era . I realize some things are probably just left not being put out in a public forum . Over 20 years while certain aspects of a job don't really change, some things do . Kids change , parents change, policy's change, attitudes change etc. I have written about some of these changes , issues and offered my opinions . Some feel I shouldn't have in some cases , some agree , some don't. Times change . You need to embrace it . this doesn't just pertain to on field schemes { EX: Alabama going full spread attack , or say ST X throwing the ball 30 times in ONE half of football where they used to probably need three weeks to throw it that many times not too long ago } of course, but cultural dynamics .

Parents are more involved now than ever , as many of us grew up in an era where parents trusted coaches and never questioned their modus operandi or even the treatment of their own kids 95 percent of the time . There was that much trust. Now? Kids transfer if they aren't happy with how tings go their frosh year or feel some mild disrespect, then the parents ego's are bruised adn encourage moving somewhere else. This almost NEVER happened in the previous couple generations . That being said I have always supported families bettering their situations by moving to a place they feel is better for the kids and family . Good school districts in nice community's with resources and demonstrated success academically and athletically { extra curriculars } will ALWAYS attract families to move in , or stay .

Feedback from multiple parents over the years I have gotten whose kids have gone through the program has been overwhelmingly positive and that speaks well of Coach Crabtree , the coaching staff and everyone else involved { AD, Medical , administrative etc} . This isn't to suggest that everything has been perfect , and there is no issues or concerns that have come up over the years . I have written about a few of them . While the ending was certainly very disappointing , I felt that the coaching staff did a good job overall in this most trying of seasons. From last year's not having a couple top D-1 guys play either any role or small roles that couldn't have been foreseen , and this year's tough ending , the overall attitude and successes{ not just wins and losses } even if falling a bit short of expectations or potential was commendable . New era ? Or just a continuation ? I don't think there is any dispute that it is one of the top jobs in CO , and you will get the support and resources to succeed . The league is the best top to bottom D-1 league in CO , Olentangy SD has exploded , they are beating most people in a lot of things { Academics, scores, sports etc.} UA has the right football coach , has ONE community , Bradley got Dublin's best MS player to go there and he played as a Frosh and that program has been rising the last 5-7 years ..

Liberty has grown larger than Coffman gets more kids in the building to come out, has a great staff around the only HC they have had { has improved } Orange is on really solid ground .and Davidson except for this year almost always plays to their full potential vs Coffman and they along with UA seem to get a bit more jacked when they play the Rocks than the Rocks do for them { UA for sure, HD more than not } Non league scheduling is crucial . A lot of spots open for potential starters this year . Who wants to start, ? What are you doing to win the job and be a difference maker ? Then once you improve enough to start do you do extra to be able to compete and succeed against your best competition ?

Job should get some very qualified candidates applying . Not all are good fits . What I think may work is possibly a new HC but keeping the top couple assistants in place as I assume Coach Crabtree isn't coaching this season .

Last edited:
It has become highly unlikely that a current Coffman assistant will become the next head coach.

Care to share why?

Do you think any of the older successful semi-retired coaches would be realistic applicants for these jobs? Would a Coffman want a 60+ year old to take over their program even if it meant they would only stay a few years? If not, who’s a better choice than Crager? A guy like Coach Crager would provide longevity, stability and could likely sustain the current success built? I think Crager is a no brainer here because of the energy he would bring, the older coaches may be there to just collect a paycheck.

Do you think any of the older successful semi-retired coaches would be realistic applicants for these jobs? Would a Coffman want a 60+ year old to take over their program even if it meant they would only stay a few years? If not, who’s a better choice than Crager? A guy like Coach Crager would provide longevity, stability and could likely sustain the current success built? I think Crager is a no brainer here because of the energy he would bring, the older coaches may be there to just collect a paycheck.
I agree with you, I listed Crager as my most realistic choice and sung his praises. I was simply asking AHM why he stated that the job is unlikely to go to an internal candidate.

Care to share why?

Yes, some veteran successful coaches are pursuing this position and those coaches are going to be convincing that they have 'a lot of great years left'

There are members of the administration that are excited to create a different climate among the Rocks program; One that sees a program from the youth level up rather than yearly transfers and some of the headaches that brings.

Yes, some veteran successful coaches are pursuing this position and those coaches are going to be convincing that they have 'a lot of great years left'

There are members of the administration that are excited to create a different climate among the Rocks program; One that sees a program from the youth level up rather than yearly transfers and some of the headaches that brings.
Thanks for sharing. Have to disagree with the bolded. Obviously, the youth program is ultra important, however Pick C/ Massillon/ Hoban/ X certainly aren’t doing what they’re doing on the backs of their youth programs. I find it to be a bit naive to think the Dublin youth program can help continue the success the program has seen all by itself. It’s about marketing your program now; and not your youth program (most are all the same daddy ball coaches until their kids move on).

Im obviously not saying they should recruit, but kids see success on social media and want to be a part of it. Success breeds success. Not quite sure what you know or how much youth football you’ve seen; I’ve seen quite a bit all over the state and most have been a joke. Nobody is moving to Dublin for the youth football program; however, they will for the Varsity program.

Thanks for sharing. Have to disagree with the bolded. Obviously, the youth program is ultra important, however Pick C/ Massillon/ Hoban/ X certainly aren’t doing what they’re doing on the backs of their youth programs. I find it to be a bit naive to think the Dublin youth program can help continue the success the program has seen all by itself. It’s about marketing your program now; and not your youth program (most are all the same daddy ball coaches until their kids move on).

Im obviously not saying they should recruit, but kids see success on social media and want to be a part of it. Success breeds success. Not quite sure what you know or how much youth football you’ve seen; I’ve seen quite a bit all over the state and most have been a joke. Nobody is moving to Dublin for the youth football program; however, they will for the Varsity program.

You are a poster on a high school football forum. I can see where you are coming from. But, I do not believe many in the central office see it the same way.

And I am not necessarily saying I agree, but I am telling you the general vibe among decision makers.

You are a poster on a high school football forum. I can see where you are coming from. But, I do not believe many in the central office see it the same way.

And I am not necessarily saying I agree, but I am telling you the general vibe among decision makers.
Fair enough

You can’t stop kids and family’s from moving into any district . The “ small handful ( three ) of kids who weren’t in Dublin from at least MS the last 4-5 years didn’t have attitude problems or give anyone a hard time . (. Threats Diallo Austin ) Was Phipps a headache ? He played five games and that’s it . Wished he could have played but the rules are
the rules. Some kind of annual band of transfers coming ftom
Other high schools just hasn’t happened like the poster suggests . Broakie came to Coffman from Orange for wrestling not football

You can’t stop kids and family’s from moving into any district . The “ small handful ( three ) of kids who weren’t in Dublin from at least MS the last 4-5 years didn’t have attitude problems or give anyone a hard time . (. Threats Diallo Austin ) Was Phipps a headache ? He played five games and that’s it . Wished he could have played but the rules are
the rules. Some kind of annual band of transfers coming ftom
Other high schools just hasn’t happened like the poster suggests . Broakie came to Coffman from Orange for wrestling not football
Huh? I didn’t suggest anything. Never said that there was an “annual” band of transfers pouring in, but Coffman has certainly benefited from move-ins who did not play Dublin youth. I was merely suggesting to AHM that to compete at the state level (big divisions) takes some “team marketing” nowadays and perhaps the “youth build-up” route is slightly antiquated.

Zach Stoudt
Cole Stoudt
Marcus Davis
Patrick Moreland
All the Kendricks
Colton Caldwell
Plus ones you mentioned

That’s just off the top of my head...

Last edited:
All of the kids mentioned in these recent posts have represented the school and program very well in my opinion. Very well!

When within a stones throw of a major metropolitan area, kids 'moving' into a district is just the way it works nowadays. This is not just a football or basketball issue. Its all that's publicly talked about, but it happens in all sports. Players and parents want to be part of winning programs. That is not stopping anytime soon.

Coffman will hire the coach they think is best suited to continue the proud tradition that has been well established.

Huh? I didn’t suggest anything. Never said that there was an “annual” band of transfers pouring in, but Coffman has certainly benefited from move-ins who did not play Dublin youth. I was merely suggesting to AHM that to compete at the state level (big divisions) takes some “team marketing” nowadays and perhaps the “youth build-up” route is slightly antiquated.

Zach Stoudt
Cole Stoudt
Marcus Davis
Patrick Moreland
All the Kendricks
Colton Caldwell
Plus ones you mentioned

That’s just off the top of my head...

that’s over how many years ? Come on . Many schools average a couple a year . Kendricks moved as a family , kids weren’t all in HS . I’m talking now the last few years this poster is saying there’s all these headaches and problems and there’s many a year and it’s an annual issue . Not true .

The transfer discussions have been had and I’ve posted several times over the years talking about this and the impact . Ohio in general has less than other comparably strong “. Football “. “ states “
Family’s don’t move to community’s like Dublin
just for sports in most cases . It’s a corporate town with many move ins and move outs . AHM has said administration hasn’t liked the culture lately whatever that means . Not saying that he hasn’t heard that . We don’t have to agree with others feelings .
The coaching search is the story . The first one in this program in 20 years . Excited to see what direction they go

I’m not about rehashing the transfers or programs culture and it’s perception inside Dublin Admin. I was just answering the question as to one of the reasons why the job is most likely going to an external candidate

I’m not about rehashing the transfers or programs culture and it’s perception inside Dublin Admin. I was just answering the question as to one of the reasons why the job is most likely going to an external candidate

Im sure there is some quality outside candidates interested . Most top guys want their own staff , but if it is indeed an outside guy hopefully a current coach or two is retained (. If interested ) for a modicum of continuity ? Should be interesting

The fact they are going to have to be “Convincing” that they are going to be coaching into their 70s is all you need to know. Sounds like people who will get through to today’s players. If it is not Crager, they will get what the deserve and we will be restarting this thread in about 2-3 years. Harry do you know names of the coaches “convincing” they can still do it? My guess would have to be a decently popular name because sounds like they are trying to impress the Dublin community. It can’t be Brian White, I don’t know who else they could even have in line.

The fact they are going to have to be “Convincing” that they are going to be coaching into their 70s is all you need to know. Sounds like people who will get through to today’s players. If it is not Crager, they will get what the deserve and we will be restarting this thread in about 2-3 years. Harry do you know names of the coaches “convincing” they can still do it? My guess would have to be a decently popular name because sounds like they are trying to impress the Dublin community. It can’t be Brian White, I don’t know who else they could even have in line.

AHM probably knows more . May be they don’t want their names out here in public yet ? May be he will drop a name or two . Crager is deserving and would be a quality coach but May be they want a new start ?I would prefer a younger guy who wants to stick around if they go new regime . But we just saw a young guy leave who many thought May raise his family here (. Jeromes Gecewich )

AHM probably knows more . May be they don’t want their names out here in public yet ? May be he will drop a name or two . Crager is deserving and would be a quality coach but May be they want a new start ?I would prefer a younger guy who wants to stick around if they go new regime . But we just saw a young guy leave who many thought May raise his family here (. Jeromes Gecewich )

Valid points and I would be curious to see who the old dogs are going after it. Gecewich did stay 6 years I cannot see any retired coach staying at either school that long especially where we are with this pandemic. The only older assistants with head coaching experience I could even think of are Magistro at Kilbourne? These guys honestly have to be high risk for Covid. Also, I think Crager has proven he isn’t going anywhere.

Valid points and I would be curious to see who the old dogs are going after it. Gecewich did stay 6 years I cannot see any retired coach staying at either school that long especially where we are with this pandemic. The only older assistants with head coaching experience I could even think of are Magistro at Kilbourne? These guys honestly have to be high risk for Covid. Also, I think Crager has proven he isn’t going anywhere.

Guys .... hold on .... there are several very very good HS football coaches around the state who have not hit 40 years old. I don't know if they are interested or not, but it would be a mistake to think that a "veteran" head coach is someone who is on the back-9 of his career. I think you will be very surprised. You don't have to be from Central Ohio to be a candidate for this job.

Harry, have to disagree with your last sentence. Jerome's former coach was interviewing for other jobs after season 2 I believe. Anyone who thought he was here for the long haul wasn't paying attention to all the jobs around the state he applied and interviewed

Harry, have to disagree with your last sentence. Jerome's former coach was interviewing for other jobs after season 2 I believe. Anyone who thought he was here for the long haul wasn't paying attention to all the jobs around the state he applied and interviewed
I didn’t phrase that well . I didn’t mean to suggest I or others knew exactly what he was thinking . But as a more “. Ideal “. It seems that raising his family in one place as solid as Dublin and in that community was as unsaid an ideal . Yes coaching can have a transient dynamic , and coaches are probably always looking for darker shades of green , but if a job is good enough and the family is thriving ? Some coaches stay put . People stay put in other jobs after realizing it’s a positive family thing .
That’s more what I meant , didn’t mean to insert others feelings about this . He seemed for a time to be a possible long term guy . Perry and that area of Ohio and being more a potential
State level program in that division was a better”fit “ as
he stated . Smaller school coaching roots , Northeast. Cleveland guy ? I did think he may be a longer term guy and be successful .Hate to say that may be he was distracted this year.and may be it had something to do with the disappointing season and his apparent frustration . He did a good job overall , he’s a good coach . May be Perry is his long term situation

If he was looking around after year two after he had success early , why did he take the job in the first place ? He was a family guy , went on and on about how great a community it was for his young growing family . I believed him . That’s not to say I knew or thought he was staying 20 years , but I did think it was a possibility he would be a longer term guy . Once kids gets to a certain age ideally you don’t want to uproot if they are happy and thriving . Perry May be a better community fit for him and it’s a very good job. Move to a different part of the state { Central Ohio at that time was new to him } a great community , young family , initial success , exceeding expectations bringing Jerome to a higher level that it had bene for a bit? And you are interviewing for other jobs after a year or two ? OK. Euclid guy , blue collar , smaller town guy in terms of coaching experience ? May be he didn't like some aspects of the Dublin community ? Perry is a better fit as he said? I think we have an idea what that may mean.

Last edited:
Guys .... hold on .... there are several very very good HS football coaches around the state who have not hit 40 years old. I don't know if they are interested or not, but it would be a mistake to think that a "veteran" head coach is someone who is on the back-9 of his career. I think you will be very surprised. You don't have to be from Central Ohio to be a candidate for this job.
Look at the youth movement in the college and NFL ranks. Think that can start trickling down to HS ball too.

Look at the youth movement in the college and NFL ranks. Think that can start trickling down to HS ball too.
Agreed , just like three pointing shooting in hoops LOL , When you start seeing some Middle school girls teams shooting 15-20 a game ? That is a real trickle down effect. NFL 'POSITION " coaches who are bright young and innovative are being considered for 'BIG" seats BEFORE even becoming coordinators sometimes .