Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

I am a long time reader of Yappi and always root for my Thomas Worthington Cards. I am excited to see that Coach Pic has a clue. The kids seem to play hard for him. I am def giving him the benefit of the doubt with it being a COVID year and it is his first year as a head coach.

Coffman is loaded once again- Got one of our kids.....Who is killing it for them :mad:
OL- Massive offensive line'
Marysville- Powers is a stud and they will pound you in the face
Olen Braves- Dynamic with misdirection and scheme
Groveport- New coach continuing where old coach left off

Picetti was the DC at Tangy for some very good defensive teams, he's definitely a good coach and was deserving of an HC job. Ultimately his success will depend on getting an OC who can modernize and make use of the athletic ability they have in that district, and most importantly, get the lower classes to develop along the same framework so they are ready to go by the time varsity ball hits (which is an important point many programs don't get right). Might not be this year, but I would not be surprised to see them get back to winning ways in seasons to come.

Week 4

Pickerington Central at Groveport Madison - CP Line PC - 14

Line is isn't necessarily wrong here, but the thing that keeps coming back to me when I think about this match-up is this. How in the world is GPM going to score? They didn't move the ball all that easily vs Lancaster. 43 rushes for less than 200 yards { 197} . ZERO completions on 4 attempts in the air ? So I am to believe that they are going to line up and pound the rock and control the game here and keep it razor close?

They bludgeoned Burg who was as green on defense as an Irish countryside after a week long rain. Simply not up to that physical challenge. First time they were challenged physically was last week and the Gaels seemed to play with them . Now GPM only gave up one score on defense a 70 yard pitch and catch , { the other score was a pick 6 } . Now if GPM does attempt to throw and they will HAVE to at some point , PC has scary guys back there who can play the ball in the air and then if they catch it ? They can score . GPM with a walkover vs Westland , and the fairly even match-up with Lancaster seems to be a bit overhyped off of the Burg result.

The other thing that can't be denied is the fact that PC has separated from the Central Ohio pack a bit. They have been the top team other times but the GAP between them and good to very good teams has grown a bit . Too many athletes to deal with . Too much size up front on defense to deal with . Speed . Skill. Well coached and disciplined . The only thing they aren't as good at as last year is throwing the ball downfield may be . They won the title last year and are better this year. Top Catholics aren't as dominant as they have been in other years in D-1 , and there isn't a public that can match up evenly .

I would have to think they are motivated to get an opponent that will stand up to them and compete . GPM may have been looking ahead to PC , but the bottom line is if they were 'Special " In other words capable of really playing with PC ? They would have separated last week .. They didn't because they never were able to run downhill on them and gash them on the ground and they can't really throw the ball. Not good . They also don't have that special D-Line this year which can corral the PC run game. Try to get Mosely going and if they sell out on that ? Wallace keeps or throws one or two Home run balls ?

PC 31 GPM 9

Last edited:
Picetti was the DC at Tangy for some very good defensive teams, he's definitely a good coach and was deserving of an HC job. Ultimately his success will depend on getting an OC who can modernize and make use of the athletic ability they have in that district, and most importantly, get the lower classes to develop along the same framework so they are ready to go by the time varsity ball hits (which is an important point many programs don't get right). Might not be this year, but I would not be surprised to see them get back to winning ways in seasons to come.

YOTW is a stepping stone job. If he can get that program to 500 or a bit better in an odd year? That proves he can really coach. Then a legit Football " school will get interested and hire him . Probably two years from now? Three tops?

Week 4 Cont.

Olentangy at Hilliard Darby - CP line Tangy - 18

The term battle tested is often used in sports and can be applied to regular life as well. Have you been pushed to be better, ? get better? Deal with adversity ? Be forced to come up with possible solutions to complex problems? The 2019 Olentangy Braves picture can be aptly placed next to that term in any dictionary from Webster's to Urban .

Some of the best athletes I grew up with had big brothers . I didn't have any brothers but was still able to go to these friends houses and play all kinds of games going against these 'bigger" brothers and took some lumps to be sure , but in the end ? It helped you to learn to compete and figure things out against bigger stronger kids, or kids with more developed skills. You got tougher physically and probably more importantly mentally .

Braves were a year away from competing week in and week out getting wins consistently when going against the bigger boys. Rough schedule last season that helped in the play-offs . Ended 7-6 . Playing 13 games was also beneficial . It is for all programs that can consistently win games in the play-offs . Revenge motive for Tangy who lost to Darby 23-13 early in the season. They also had to play Coffman { 38-16 Loss} Orange { 28-14 Loss} Westy Central { 41-7 Loss} Liberty { 24-21 Loss} . Close wins vs other good programs New Albany, and Westy South, got them to the play-offs. they crushed Troy and then beat an undefeated Anthony Wayne team before getting handled by a very good Toledo CC program.

Not a slouch among those clubs to be sure . These battles have tested these kids who came back this year , a bit bigger stronger and faster . I really believe the teams that are doing the best now are the teams that best handled a bad situation and still found ways to get better , faster , and stronger in the off-season. Solis is an elite coach who not only this year but in losing a nice chunk of his program to new School Berlin , has really embraced the axiom , Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. Pretty fair coach John R Wooden said that .

Darby has given up more yards and points on defense than usual . They are working on it according to their coaches. They gave up 9 first downs on 12 third down attempts in week one to Davidson. They gave up a bunch of not only passing yards to Berlin but well over a 100 rushing . Marysville scored 28 . They also score more . As Patrick Ewing { Famously said about 20 odd years ago during the NBA strike 'We make a lot of money but we spend a lot too" } might say, Darby gives up a ton of yards but they make a lot of yards too . Horvath can tote the rock at QB. RB-LB Jones in their best football player and carry it as well when he isn't tackling a lot of people on defense. Little passing game to speak of but they can occasionally make a few plays . Tangy is a zone read type running team this season. They did gain about 140 yards through the air vs YOTW last week. I see this game coming down to Tangy being able to physically get it done vs. Darby defense on the ground , BUT will make a few plays downfield in the passing game that will make a big difference.

Tangy is the better club here as the 18 point spread suggests. They are a mentally tough battle tested team that has learned some lessons , gotten better from going against some really good teams last year and are a confident well coached team. I am loathe to lay this type of lumber in this one because Darby at 1-2 is the more desperate team and should do better this week on defense against this style and also this game will move along fairly quickly with so many rushing attempts adn this will shorten the proceedings. Landon Johnson is a very good playmaker who is prospering in this offense . The Braves have some weapons in the passing game and this is going to ultimately make the difference I think .

Olentangy 27 Darby 19

Last edited:
Week 3 Cont.

Olentangy at Dublin Muirfield - CP Line DM - 4

I made this one Berlin - 3 . Hmm . Jerome can win the game here no question . They will have to run the football and control 'IT" and the clock in order to do this . Classic match-up of a team that wants to keep the ball away from the other one , but also possesses a productive passing game as well. Miller had some decent production last week vs Marysville throwing for just under 200 yards on an efficient 17 for 29 BUT two interceptions were included in his stat line. Everhart had a nice game at RB rushing for 72 on only 9 attempts and added 35 yards receiving .

According to coach Geciwich and a Jerome source , the Country Clubbers are a wounded banged up football team after three weeks . Good young talent from multiple excellent Frosh teams . Kids playing more snaps than they thought in some cases. Berlin is also younger on defense and has taken on some water at times . Just can't stop the run . Both are battle tested having gone against heavy's Coffman{ DJ} and Liberty { OB } and Berlin has also played Olentangy and Darby , and Jerome [Marysville and YOTW} . Crossroads type game here as both are 1-2 . Big difference between 2-2 and 1-3 .

Berlin is as explosive as any team in recent memory . In terms of sheer explosiveness and big strike capability they remind me of the 2007 Dublin Coffman offense . Now that Rocks offense had 4 D-1 players and 2 who made NFL rosters . Berlin doesn't have that type of individual talent but they are putting up the same type of numbers through three weeks. Last week QB Moeller had a 'modest " 271 yards on 13-21 passing . The yards per attempt the Bears have produced is absurd. That Rocks club was similar . D-1 QB Stoudt{ Louisville then Ole Miss } throwing to Fairchild { Syracuse then a few other stops } Stoneburner { OSU a couple stops on NFL circuit} and good receivers Bittel and Minda . Big Mike Adams { OSU , Steelers } protected the blind side at left tackle.

Bears have a more complex passing game , more NFL route concepts as Kramer has pointed out { Former NFL player Nori is HC} and also got 125 rushing from Tiberio last week which makes them more dangerous . I thought the Country clubbers would do better last week , but they banged up dynamic going against a tough physical Marysville club took more of a toll than I anticipated . This week won't present that same type of physical challenge but it will be a athletic test of covering a passing game that appears to be pretty much unstoppable by the opponents anyway. They make some key mistakes on special teams and on defense that hurt but the offense I think will have to run the ball some themselves in order to control the situation .

This one should be interesting to be sure , and the Celts were healthier I may have taken them to cover the small number , but they aren't and Berlin is confident coming off their big win . Tough game to handicap . Close one where the 4 points come in handy is my gut feeling . could go either way

Jerome 37 Berlin 35

Week 4 cont.

Hilliard Bradley Darby Creek at Olentangy Powell High - CP Line OPHS - 19

Some heavy lumber here. Line is a bit inflated to be sure. Might have something to do with Bradley having a new ineffective offense that has stopped scoring points suddenly with the arrival of a HOF coach who headed up the most consistent scoring Public big school in the state . Triv is the new OC . Bradley no longer scores many points. Hmm, no sure what's going on , but Loapro as I have said seems to think the players aren't understanding the offense. The Jags scored 6 points total in weeks one and two. They 'exploded for 22 last week all in one half { Surely a school record lol} vs Davidson getting two longer rushing TD's from their QB Mirgon.

They have some weapons and if they get the hang of things , they will score points. They only ran 39 plays last week but gained 7 a play good for 273 yards. More importantly scored 3 Td's to get a 22-17 win. That's the good news . The bad news is they gave up a ton of yards on the ground { 262 } with both backs Weir and Nixon going over a hundy. 303 yards total . As I said Loparo was lavishing praise on the Davidson backs and they proved him correct. His guys couldn't stop them . they gave up 43 through the air for good measure. Backs are very good to be sure , Weir was a handful on a couple occasions last year as a Soph. against Coffman and Nixon is a playmaker . This being said ? that denotes a defense that has a hole or two in it . Kenley will be a handful for them as he continues to produce nicely in a bonce back year after an injury riddled 2019.

Bradley can score a couple here adn likely will , but not enough to get the win . They need to get some breaks and hope Liberty is a bit off their game . Jags with more confidence offensively should cover this heavy number though. Patriots are a consistently efficient team who can move the ball with balance and they are more familiar with their offense than the Jags appear to be. Little things will make the difference here and the Patriots do those little things a bit better than Bradley does.

OPHS 28 HBDC 13

Week 4 Cont.

Hilliard Davidson at Dublin Coffman - CP Line DC - 31

Spoke of the absurdity of the line which is like they used the transitive property with the one common opponent { Orange , HD lost by 13 Coffman won by 21 } and took a spoonful out. There is a disparity in talent no question, but in 2 out of the last three Rocks losses to Davidson which were by one point each the Rocks were also the better club . 2016 Rocks got a chance to prove it on the field as they beat HD in the play-offs handily in dominating fashion 24- 3 . Last year over the 10 week regular season and Coffman's three play-off games { Davidson lost a tough one to GPM in round one } Coffman was a better overall team week by week in terms of performance and margins .

My few HD sources said as much themselves last year . Coffman had a couple keys out, didn't play with as much emotion snap for snap as HD always plays jacked but were really sharp and played to their potential . Coffman did not. Coffman was in place to make some plays and didn't on both sides of the ball, had some questionable schemes { Mathews not running he football } and at a couple key junctures where plays needed to be made, ? Davidson made a couple more . Rocks were just about in field goal range to try an game winning attempt on first down threw a quick out route that bounced through the receivers hands into a HD defenders who raced down field { didn't score but ended the game } .

Coffman coaches have all the ammo they want to guard against being overconfident. Davidson has two good athletes at RB , playmakers. that alone has your attention. Weir made some plays last year including a big pass play that got Davidson right back into the game after going down one score . They play 120 percent on every snap. Rocks coaches will have their guys jacked to match it. They will make you beat them and grind . They did give up a Threats homerun last year , so my guess is they play in a way that severely limits the possibility of big plays and make the Rocks drive it , which will shorten the game along with the possibility of them not finishing the drive.

Davidson averages about 19 a game. . They had their best overall offensive game last week vs Bradley gaining just over 300 yards scoring 17 .They haven't reached 20 + yet . Rocks average 31 . A handful of these points were either big plays or were set up by them. They did a nice job of driving the football last week against a tough Orange team who competed hard and well at times.

Both backs went for over 100 last week for Davidson . Next year these two Juniors may be among the top couple RB tandem' in CO This will be a challenge . Cats give up just under 20 a game . Rocks get into the 20's their chances are great for victory. Get Mathews going in the run game unlike last year. Don't handicap the game. In other words , no unnecessary holding calls, no PF's when the QB has no chance for a completion and is running for his life . No pre-snap bullcrap. Defensively you need to set the edge , tackle well and keep them out of the end zone . On offense in addition to Mathews , you need to make them defend the whole field , get your athletes in space , finish blocks and let the skill and speed take over the game .

Looks like a cooler crisper night again on Friday for the smattered faithful , so cramps or conditioning issues will be less likely . Make them play your game , at your speed and skill level , and se if they can keep up for 48 minutes. Rocks won the first quarter last week for the first time , this week's improvement would be cutting down on the penalty's , Be a little sharper with routes and executing the seam routes , a bit better run blocking , and DO NOT KICK THE BAL OUT OF BOUNDS ON OKICKOFFS , that's about 10-15 free yards on average . That and the other penalty's add up and can hurt you in a close contest. Rocks win , Cats cover.

DC 30 HD 10

Do yourself a favor and DVR the Berlin/Jerome game Fri night. CW Columbus broadcast. I am sensing another 300+ passing performance.
Yeah I agree . They really do remind me of that 2007 Coffman team in terms of how they could rack up passing yards . Mentor of course has had some sick passing numbers through the years . One step ahead . Already have it set to go . Should be a good one .

Week 4 Cont.

Upper Arlington at Olentangy Orange - CP line OO - 5

This one should be a tight defensive battle . Orange is a physical team up front and is sturdy enough to limit the Bears ground game with Gresock and then try to force a young Sophomore in his second start to beat them through the air. Now the kid did a nice job last week vs. a solid Liberty defense .11 for 18 for 140 yards isn't too shabby. Junior Sam Monin was the second UA QB to suffer a collarbone injury since 2018 . Sammy Sass broke his two years ago . Bad luck for the Bears . Soph. James Hayek is forced into action and the production was pretty good. He found Sam Cannon 8 times good for 100 yards. Gresock did his thing gaining 120 yards. Orange has a few injury's of their own as their 200 pound back Applegate is out with a leg and eh was missed vs. Coffman . Rocks simply won at the point of attack though and Applegate wouldn't have had much room to maneuver. Pioneers have lost a couple others as well and their depth is short now on offense.

Another turning point battle between 1-2 teams Jerome and Berlin the other one } . When you envision a game where the team that gets to 20 wins grabbing five points is usually the way you want to go . Both teams have been tested against quality opponents and this looks like an even match-up . UA passing game didn't seem to take any hit at all with the injury and Hayek may be able to complete some balls here if he has some time. Buttermore is an excellent coach and the Bears make adjustments and he will have the Bears in this one until the end . A last couple possessions type match-up .

Orange 17 UA 14

Week 4 Cont.

R-Burg at Lancaster - CP Line Burg - 15

The most recent piece of transitive property evidence suggest that this line is curious. Subscribing to this type of evidence can be faulty as we all know . Burg got their ears boxed in by Groveport . Dominated . Beat up on defense . The Gaels stood toe to toe and competed well coming up short 16-13 . Burg got waxed 45-14. You see this and think Burg giving up 15 points here ? It must be said that the Raiders crushed the Gaels last year by 32 points. Different situation , different teams . The way the teams defended the run vs GPM is suggestive . It shows a physicality difference. The Gaels RB Hill was able to grind out 120 yards vs. the Cruisers . The Gaels scored on a 70 yard pass as well .

Burg had a easy , no heavy lifting game last week vs Nerk , but still gave up 240 yards. They have given up chunks of yards in every game. Defense is a year away . Taking an average to below average team the week after they played a bit over their heads is usually a recipe for taking a nice loss a bit more than 50 percent of the time which if done enough will lighten your wallet precipitously . The gas it took out of the Gaels tank was pretty heavy . Burg 's tank is more full perhaps. BUT this line is about 6 points heavy . The Gaels are a more physical team in some areas. This will keep them in the game for a while and help them grind the clock down. I still think Burg wins the game , but the Gaels should keep this one under the number .

Burg 23 Gaels 16

Week 4 Cont.

Gahanna at Westerville Central - CP Line WC - 19

Before even hearing WC coach Morrison say that Gahanna is 'A lot like us" in terms " of not quite knowing our identity yet. I have to say these teams are hard to figure out really. Some uneven performances to be sure . WC was played pretty much even with UA , a bit surprising to me as I thought WC might have pulled away at some point. Then PN served the Warhawks a few slices of humble pie , and a dose of reality. They ran the ball down their throats and came away with an impressive win . WC came back with an expected 34-0 win vs Grove City , which was somewhat impressive, but the team has been a little less explosive as I expected .

Gahanna got torched on the scoreboard vs R-Burg , but the score was a bit misleading as Gahanna competed a bit better than 48-14 may suggest. Burger is a good QB , who has athletes to throw to as is usual with the Lions , and a really good quick RB with burst in Ronald Blackman. They can move the ball .Their defense on the other hand has gotten the ball moved on them pretty well , in both the Burg game and the wild 42-41 OT win vs New Albany. The question in this game is the not that the teams will score some points or be capable of it , but which defense is most apt to step up here. The easy play would be grab the 19 and hope Gahanna keeps chucking the ball and stays within the number after 48 . WC seems due for a blowout like win. But may be that's not who they are ? They won't get large margins against this type of team? Backdoor is open probably . My condolences to those on the Browns last night as Cincy and Joe Burrow got the back door late TD cover . Will we see that here ? hmm

WC 37 Gahanna 20

I saw this coming. Maybe the most lopsided win for either team in this series. The Rocks are loaded and Davidsons defense is easily the worst I have seen since following them. The tackling is atrocious. Overall the defense is helpless. Scally will have a short tenure at Davidson if he doesn't clean it up next year.

I saw this coming. Maybe the most lopsided win for either team in this series. The Rocks are loaded and Davidsons defense is easily the worst I have seen since following them. The tackling is atrocious. Overall the defense is helpless. Scally will have a short tenure at Davidson if he doesn't clean it up next year.

Both of my sons as seniors at Davidson beat Coffman 45-0 in 2000 and 2004. This game will probably surpass that.

Both of my sons as seniors at Davidson beat Coffman 45-0 in 2000 and 2004. This game will probably surpass that.
It seems this year we are at the level of Central Crossing. It was a great run while it lasted. This is horrible football. Makes you appreciate coach White even more.Coffman is a legit threat to Pick Central this year. Just wow.

Some shocking scores tonight. (scoring margin wise)

Central 43 Groveport 3
Olentangy 37 Darby 6
Orange 31 UA 14
Liberty 79 Bradley 17 in the 4th. (Wondering if that is even right??)
Westerville Central 43 Gahanna 0???

Some shocking scores tonight. (scoring margin wise)

Central 43 Groveport 3
Olentangy 37 Darby 6
Orange 31 UA 14
Liberty 79 Bradley 17 in the 4th. (Wondering if that is even right??)
Westerville Central 43 Gahanna 0???

OK, someone updated it.
Liberty 38-17 seems much more plausible. Didn't think that could be right.

It seems this year we are at the level of Central Crossing. It was a great run while it lasted. This is horrible football. Makes you appreciate coach White even more.Coffman is a legit threat to Pick Central this year. Just wow.
A big reason coach white left when he did is because he looked at the upcoming classes and knew the next year or two would be rough.

also, don’t forget Coach Scally beat coach white last year while at UA.

He is a good coach and the program is in good hands.

A big reason coach white left when he did is because he looked at the upcoming classes and knew the next year or two would be rough.

also, don’t forget Coach Scally beat coach white last year while at UA.

He is a good coach and the program is in good hands.
I hope so but not optimistic. What I saw tonight was highly troubling.

I hope so but not optimistic. What I saw tonight was highly troubling.
Fair enough. This was certainly a clobbering.
This is just truly a down year from a talent perspective (and I realize we have never been known for having tons of talent) and this Coffman team is very good.

Looking at the schedule this year, I saw 3-3 as best case scenario. Now have to probably adjust that to 2-4.

This one probably surpassed it . I was shocked at just how much Coffman toyed with them. I mean Coffman had a ton of penalties { Davidson had one delay and may be another 5 yarder} didn't score any Defensive Td's or special teams points and only had one real short field off a turnover . Yardage difference was HUGE. Didn't see this level of beatdown coming as I didn't in a few other games tonight . QB's had all night to throw and they couldn't tackle the running backs. I will look a little closer at some of these results to see just what happened , but it seems clear that Hilliard Football is a bit down this year .

Like a sudden flash flood or storm , the teams are basically only beating each other except for one instance where Darby came back and beat Marysville in what I see now as a head shaker. This trend will probably be just that a blip and next year the teams will be better . Bradley was scoring a lot of points just a couple years ago , Davidson has been solid but margins are less and losses have been more frequent and play-off wins less the last 5 years. Davidson is likely TWO 15 yard personal foul penalties on the last drive vs. Darby from being 0-4 and looking at a very real 0-6 season as from what I saw they aren't coming close to Liberty whatsoever , and UA will be a toss up at best .

How cool would it be to have Pick Central vs Coffman for all the marbles?
How cool would it be to have Pick Central vs Coffman for all the marbles?

You know , I have thought about that a couple times . PC is still top dog until someone stands up and says they aren't on the field , but I think it could happen because a few programs aren't quite as good as they have been , but Coffman has to keep up their end as we have seen in certain years they have exited sooner than they may be should have. I'll leave it at that, but I will admit Walt , that scenario has popped into my mind a time or two .

A lot I could say about the Hilliard programs right now, but it's all in my posting history and no need to re-state it again. Been saying it for years.

They asked Crabtree on the radio show if he was ready to start thinking about being one of the best teams in Ohio, and he said honestly no, he's just worried about next week. PC/Coffman sounds like a great matchup on paper, but PC may simply be head/shoulders above everyone else right now. Hopefully the seeding works out so it is the last game, because other than Liberty it doesnt seem like there's much else out there in D1 right now.

D2 is such a giant jumble in central ohio right now, its going to be really fun at playoff time. Tangy's run defense is extremely good and they should be smooth sailing to 6-0. Berlin put up 500 yds again with a 350/150 split, and did that after playing by far their worst half of football the entire year. I am interested to see Marysville play both of these teams the next 2 weeks, but there isn't any reason Tangy shouldn't go 6-0 and Berlin 4-2.

With the odd numbers they put in the divisions (100 teams in D2) it seems like they have to allow something like 30 1st round byes. Teams will be shooting to finish strong and get one of those byes. This is actually great because a lot of the lesser teams wont have to play a #1 seed to start the tourney and may have a shot at 2 or 3 games as a result. And the big boys get a week off.

This was worse than those losses in terms of the physical disparity of the clubs . 2000 Coffman team had talent and beat some decent winning teams and played a good Westerville South team tough the week before in week 9 losing by 11. Westerville South had beaten Davidson by 14 earlier in the year . Lost to a good Watterson team by one point , finishing 4-6 . That week 10 45-0 loss probably got the coach fired { Tudor} bringing Coach Crabtree to Coffman . 2001 team lost to a 10-0 Davidson the next year by only 6 points with a lot of the same kids , and led by QB Brady Quinn beat them by 17 in the play-offs . The 2004 team did lose some top guys to graduation but also lost kids to Jerome which opened that year . The year before Coffman beat Davidson by 19 in the play offs. The 2004 team lost to a very good Scioto team by 2 in the regular season but lost by 30 in round one of the play-offs to them . Transition year and a school split year.

Davidson will actually be favored next year with their two backs coming back and Coffman in a big rebuild . Just one of those years , but not only the score , but this was by far the biggest difference on the field that I have seen in this series. Davidson has won a couple other games in the series by larger margins but the margins weren't also coupled with huge yardage margins and big disparity's in material . More circumstance . 2012 Coffman was up 33-3 on Davidson and doing pretty much what they wanted to{ won 33-10 } , but THIS YEAR was different than that game. Davidson was at least getting some pressure on the QB and were able to tackle better . AND They upset the Rocks in week 11. Now Coffman was still a better team but a 4-0 Turnover margin and 3 short fields doomed them . In other words, there is absolutely zero chance Davidson would come within 3 scores if Coffman was even somewhat interested in playing if they played another 5 times .

I figured Coffman would be up say 30-3 and Davidson like in 2012 would score a late TD , but this was unexpected seeing as they just got 300 yards offense vs. Bradley . Hilliard teams playing good opponents last night lost their games by 49 , 31 , and 21 . A 33.6 average . Ouch . That probably better explains the team I saw last night getting 300 yards of offense . I think both Bradley and Davidson end at 1-5 [ Bradley has Orange and Coffman} { Davidson has Liberty and UA } but Darby will beat YOTW and the Jerome game will be a close one .

Going over notes the last three weeks against the CP line , only up a few games which means not winning when going against the line. Lost a handful by very slim margins being the difference. Not winning the closer ones really on the number . Have to think the lines are getting better as I thought many were too heavy but turned out to be pretty much right as some team just bludgeoned the other side. West C finally broke out as I suspected they could , but hadn't gotten those margins really when playing UA and obviously PN in the loss . I guess Gahanna was more of what they were vs Burg , gettig gashed a bit , but they have moved the ball well and scored at least some points until last night that is .

Haven't posted here in a while, love reading the predictions each week by Harry and others.. good stuff. My oldest plays LB for Grove City, and we struggle as usual but haven't had running clocks this year which is progress.
Speaking of Pickerington North, the new QB Gilbert from Centennial is A BIG difference maker for them. Throws a decent ball, but is very agile, strong and adds a total new dimension to their offense that wasn't there week 1. The other kid is a very good runner as well. I think moving forward they should only improve.

Looking at the Darby - Olentangy game I called it pretty much exactly right , with the game snap for snap being within the margin I called for with the passing Potential of Tangy being the difference . 258- 190 yardage advantage with equal Time of possession suggest more of the margin i predicted. Tangy actually couldn't run the ball much at all but got 207 yards and 4 TD's from QB Doup . The big key in the margin was the 3 turnover margin that Tangy got. Darby was 1-2 passing for 14 yards . The last time Darby was a legit regional champ contender , they had Jeremy Ebert running AND Throwing the football and scoring some points in 2007 .

When the Rocks scored their fifth TD in the first half , I immediately started thinking of the preposterous 204 game streak Davidson had of not giving up 40 + points in a game. To give some perspective , the next closest to them in that streak is small school legend Marion Local who is now at 143 games. Third is big school top dog and best team in the state until someone proves otherwise Pickerington Central who checks in at 91 straight not letting up 40 . Davidson also lost their state best 45 game streak not giving up 30 + points. D-7 Glouster Trimble now has the best streak which is at 38 games . Coffman now has the second longest streak in the state at 36 games keeping their opponents under 30.

Also called the Liberty - Bradley game pretty much dead on as probably 4 of out of 5 times this score stays within the 19 points I took and expected to cover. Modest 325 - 250 yardage advantage for the Patriots . Bradley continues to have trouble running the football if the QB is bottled up as they ran 40 times for 107 yards. Kenley ran for 159 on 23 carries to lead the Patriots . Bradley passed for 142 and held Liberty to 75 yards through the air .It was a one score game after three quarters {24-17} Liberty tacked on a TD with 3 minutes left to win by 21 and stretch it out a bit covering the 19 point margin .

PC -GPM I kind of called out as being a battle in Hype only if you will, as I saw the Tigers winning by 21. 40 was not expected . The CP line was only 14 so they covered as I expected . I knew GPM would have real trouble moving the ball , and they did gaining only 79 total yards. You simply can 't consistently move the ball vs this level of defense without being able to keep them honest and throw the ball a little bit . GPM was right there after a quarter and only down 15-3 at the break . GPM did a nice job vs. the run in the first half . Not so much in the second as Mosely started running downhill adn the rout was on .

Bottom line seems to be that PC is a CLEAR favorite to win another state title which would be their third in 4 years and at the moment the only team in CO that could come somewhat close is Coffman . CP has it pretty close , but then again PC was only a 14 point favorite vs GPM and look what happened ? Coffman is good enough to play with them for a period of time in a game no question, but can they over 48 minutes? PC just might be too much for anyone this year because it is just so hard to get anything going on offense . Injury's and possible bad breaks or luck may be the only thing that can derail this train.

Thought the Jerome- Berlin game would be a good one and it was for the most part . Grabbing 4 points with Berlin seemed the right call and it turned out that way , but Jerome let a good opportunity to get a win get away and also seemed to waste a really good defensive effort through three quarters . They kept the high flying Bears aerial show out of the end zone for a bit over 30 minutes of action as the built a 21-9 lead with Berlin kicking three field goals.

The Bears then used a gadget reverse pass to get a huge chunk play with the running back taking the ball giving it to a receiver who threw it downfield to go to big play man Lawrence for 40 yards and they scored shortly thereafter. Got them rolling and they outscored the Country Clubbers 29-7 from that point on to win by 11 and get the cover and the outright win. It is not very often that you will see at any level of football where a team can keep a team out of the end zone well into the third quarter and also give up 505 total yards in that ballgame.

Moeller was 30 -45 for 321 and of course they threw for another 40 yards on that gadget play pass . RB Tiberio has been a weapon he last couple weeks going for 148 this week on 27 carries. Jerome had the right idea running the ball 40 times and they were successful gaining 244 , but they only threw for 78 and didn't control the time of possession either .. Berlin with about a 30 minute to 18 edge. Probably was just a matter of time , but the country clubbers had a good plan and were executing it , until well they weren't . Jerome has had the best Middle school feeder team in Dublin for a handful of years now and counting , the best Frosh team as well pretty much every year for a while now , when will the results reflect this at the varsity level ? Next year is my guess . Not that they haven't had some solid clubs but it really is something that they beat up the other district schools when young, and they should be winning more it seems.

They will be a CLEAR favorite over Coffman next year. Once this excellent Senior Coffman group goes, Jerome will have won pretty much every game at the lower levels vs Coffman feeder and the Frosh games for 4 years . Coffman has been a school adn program that is very consistent and attracts more families who may want to be part of it and it has helped no question . BUT , Coffman has really amped up their their strength and conditioning program, their work ethic is outstanding , there is an increased accountability to the tradition that has taken hold and a number of more average athletes and players are often playing above that level .

It's about getting more than a full year of player development out of as many kids as possible. Like in education, school districts want to get that FULL year of educational development, growth and achievement from as many students as possible. Same is true in athletics and other activities . Coffman has that happening with the football program now along with having some really talented players of course. Best programs have the same things going for them in most instances . Tremendous community support , committed players willing to do the work to improve, good coaching that holds the players accountable, solid facilities , and feeling that responsibility to the tradition of the program and those who came before them .

I will have a few more thoughts on some games around the area and on Coffman as well later . But before I go grab some breakfast , seeing as it was Senior night last night in this most different of football seasons , I have to give a big shout out to a Senior Rock .No not one of the stars like Threats, Mathews , Williams Russell , Morris , Warnesman or Phipps . Senior RB Ian Carroll carried the ball a few times last year in prime time when a couple guys went down and of course Mike Drennan wasn't available , but literally only a couple carries . Ditto this year . Just a couple during the main part of the games . Last night he played a more starring role in the blowout win.

Carroll is may be 150 pounds soaking wet and after 3 times through a buffet line. He runs hard and fearlessly , finishes runs with all the authority he has . Running with the ones , he had 56 yards on 8 carries with a well earned and deserved TD. He took some hits, got some extra yards sticking his head and shoulders into the pile and showed some speed on one play getting the edge and turning up field running very hard. This is the type of player that makes programs . Guys who won't ever start but show up work their butts off and are great examples to younger guys who may get discouraged by a lack of playing time on Friday nights. A good Senior moment story last night .

Last edited:
Yeah Harry, that would have to be a dramatic Coffman drop-off if Jerome is able to flip things that dramatically with Jerome. I saw very little last night in terms of superlative athleticism or size, and they are also graduating a senior QB. It's interesting to hear that this is a pinnacle year in the Dublin schools as well, because that is ABSOLUTELY the case at most of the OLSD schools, especially Olentangy. This has been a special senior class for many schools it sounds like, and a real shame it is going to be cut short for so many of them.

Berlin/Jerome 1st half was much different than the score indicated, as is the case quite often Berlin's problems were much more about what they did to themselves as opposed to what the other team was doing. Berlin had like 280 yards in the first half and only 9 points to show for it. All 3 of their FG drives got inside the 5, on 2 of them a TD pass was dropped, and the other one saw back-to-back penalties that moved them off the goal line.

Berlin had 32 first downs in this game, let that sink in. Anyway, I know nobody is worried in D1 about Jerome this year, and I haven't seen JV the past couple years and obviously wont this year, but yeah that will be a dramatic reversal if they suddenly become a team capable of competing with Coffman. Their coach is very smart and coaches a great game with in-game decisions. But Nori and his staff made excellent halftime adjustments last night and put it together. The same defensive problems are still there, but they did do a little better in the 2nd half and only gave up one TD on a trick play.

One thing that is clear to me 4 games in now with some more play in context is that both Olentangy and Liberty are very good football teams. I still have zero idea what to make of Marysville, as their loss to Darby is rapidly becoming a larger black eye and they 3 teams they beat in Bradley, Jerome, TW are looking worse each week. We will find out more about them in the next 2 weeks.

This was my first chance to really look at the regions in depth this morning, and it seems like the Rocks should have smooth sailing into the final 4, although it is tough to know what to make of the Northmont/Springfield/Wayne trio because they haven't played anyone out of region and the quality of ball there can be questionable at times. Wayne is certainly down relative to recent years. You are also catching Whitmer on a total rebuild and they are a zero factor and usually either Centerville or Beavercreek are good, but this year it seems not. If anything, a rematch with Liberty may be a sneaky challenge. This is a region the Rocks should win.

The D2 schools got a little unlucky with the Canton/Massillon area pairing, I would much rather have seen them either in with the Toledo or Cincinnati schools. There's a lot of dead weight at the bottom of R7, but some potential challenging matchups as early as week 2 in the playoffs and that spells trouble and some good teams are going to be cut to 8 game seasons, unfortunately. The seeding process should be interesting.

Yeah Harry, that would have to be a dramatic Coffman drop-off if Jerome is able to flip things that dramatically with Jerome. I saw very little last night in terms of superlative athleticism or size, and they are also graduating a senior QB. It's interesting to hear that this is a pinnacle year in the Dublin schools as well, because that is ABSOLUTELY the case at most of the OLSD schools, especially Olentangy. This has been a special senior class for many schools it sounds like, and a real shame it is going to be cut short for so many of them.

Berlin/Jerome 1st half was much different than the score indicated, as is the case quite often Berlin's problems were much more about what they did to themselves as opposed to what the other team was doing. Berlin had like 280 yards in the first half and only 9 points to show for it. All 3 of their FG drives got inside the 5, on 2 of them a TD pass was dropped, and the other one saw back-to-back penalties that moved them off the goal line.

Berlin had 32 first downs in this game, let that sink in. Anyway, I know nobody is worried in D1 about Jerome this year, and I haven't seen JV the past couple years and obviously wont this year, but yeah that will be a dramatic reversal if they suddenly become a team capable of competing with Coffman. Their coach is very smart and coaches a great game with in-game decisions. But Nori and his staff made excellent halftime adjustments last night and put it together. The same defensive problems are still there, but they did do a little better in the 2nd half and only gave up one TD on a trick play.

One thing that is clear to me 4 games in now with some more play in context is that both Olentangy and Liberty are very good football teams. I still have zero idea what to make of Marysville, as their loss to Darby is rapidly becoming a larger black eye and they 3 teams they beat in Bradley, Jerome, TW are looking worse each week. We will find out more about them in the next 2 weeks.

This was my first chance to really look at the regions in depth this morning, and it seems like the Rocks should have smooth sailing into the final 4, although it is tough to know what to make of the Northmont/Springfield/Wayne trio because they haven't played anyone out of region and the quality of ball there can be questionable at times. Wayne is certainly down relative to recent years. You are also catching Whitmer on a total rebuild and they are a zero factor and usually either Centerville or Beavercreek are good, but this year it seems not. If anything, a rematch with Liberty may be a sneaky challenge. This is a region the Rocks should win.

The D2 schools got a little unlucky with the Canton/Massillon area pairing, I would much rather have seen them either in with the Toledo or Cincinnati schools. There's a lot of dead weight at the bottom of R7, but some potential challenging matchups as early as week 2 in the playoffs and that spells trouble and some good teams are going to be cut to 8 game seasons, unfortunately. The seeding process should be interesting.

Well. I think gwoc is definitely on a more level playing field. I wouldn’t totally write off Springfield and northmont. Although I believe pc is obviously team beat. But in region 2 Coffman is the top team. Then I’d say northmont Springfield r a notch below. And I think Coffman may b just 1 notch below p c. I’d say it will more likely b pc vs Coffman I’ll b looking forward watching that one. Should b very competitive