Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

Thanks Kramer. I have to admit I was surprised to see Berlin and Liberty meet at this point in time in terms of where the programs are , BUT it's Covid times and staying closer and playing intra district games makes sense . I think the Orange - Tangy match-up is Davidson - Darby like this year in the winner will be who doesn't throw up on themselves like Darby seems to vs Davidson { Last year the two bad punt snaps and a total collapse , and last nights two 15 yard penalty's on the last drive .

Liberty will grind like they usually do and I do lean Tangy in a respect but Orange as you say does find ways to win . They lose some very good players that were productive but they have a small handful of key guys I like. New QB's makes it interesting . The press reported that this kid Pepera was going to be the Davidson QB , more than once, he WASN'T . So the lack of real information is well REAL . Lol . I was impressed with some of Tangy's underclassman last year and they are bigger and stronger this year as the Senior group is good. Middleton is a handful . Again new QB's ' everywhere it seems in some of these match-ups . Jerome and Coffman do return their guys.

Nixon is a really good back and I like that Davidson uses the pass at times now , 5-6 for 73 was THE difference in the game I thought. Darby ZERO passing yards ? QB ran for over 100 vs. Davidson and you still find a way to lose? Well it was the 73 yards passing AND the 45-10 penalty yards including 30 on the last drive vs Darby . Going into the last drive it was 15 - 10 in penalty yards. Giving away 30m free yards was inexcusable . That was the game in a Nutshell .

BIG win for Davidson as I think they have a tough schedule and with only 6 games they needed that one big time. And being the winning program they are they find ways to win . Don't mean to pile on Darby but this type of loss was so typical in this series. Look as a Coffman guy they lost three games last year by a total of 7 points , they found a couple ways to lose last year and didn't make plays they needed to on a few occasions as well . They were arguably better than each team they lost to . It happens. Kids and coaches make mistakes .

I agree that Coffman has more big play guys than Jerome has. That much is obvious . But the Rocks were behind 14-10 two years ago at the half and tied 14-14 last year . This is a legit rivalry game that has the elements of a team playing a bit over it's ski's and going to the wire with the more talented team . It hasn't happened the last two years as Coffman wore them down a bit. Jerome classes have been stronger except the Senior group. Obviously Coffman is a Senior laden experienced club and has the playmakers on both sides to make the difference over 48 minutes.

Rocks need to match the emotion, get a handle on the game earlier than mid third quarter and then grind out the win. Coffman has done a nice job changing the offense a bit as I was hoping and opining about going away from the zone read only or heavy run game attack and being a bit more creative. They have used their athletes in varying degrees both ways , and have improved their special teams return games big time the last few years.

The Coffman brand is more a defensive one the last few years as well. 33 games in a row not giving up 30 or more points. They make good adjustments in the second half, use their speed to mix in well times blitzes to make key negative plays. One of the keys I think is overlooked in what determines the winner in games is big negative plays defensively. It's true at every level of football . Protecting and pre4ssuring the QB is often the key to winning football games.

Jerome being able to protect their guy for an additional 2 seconds to find his receivers is going to be huge. If Jerome can't run the ball , they are going to have some problems . They haven't been able to consistently do that the last two meetings and the Rocks need to keep that advantage tonight . They have a couple new starters in the front seven who need to step up . The experienced guys need to help them out.

Last year vs. Jerome the Rocks didn't use Threats at RB . I believe he had one carry. He will have more tonight . He could be a problem for the country clubbers. He finishes runs as well as any Coffman back I have seen. Strength , burst, toughness , balance and speed . QB Mathews had some key runs in the second half when the Rocks pulled away a bit in the second half. I think Jerome will have to key on Threats to have a chance to slow him down, and if they do that Coffman will have to make them pay down field and on some crossing routes on play action throws behind the Linebackers. They hit one big one last year to keep a drive alive and they will have a few chances to get that done tonight.

Covering onside kicks has been an issue the last 5-6 years for Coffman. It made the Whitmer game interesting into the 4th quarter unnecessarily after being up 28-3 in the third. Don't think for a moment that Jerome doesn't know this and is looking for times to do it .

Rocks have an excellent FG kicker who kicked one last year that gave the Rocks a cushion. Magyar has a D-1 level leg . Love to see him get a couple tonight if the Rocks stall . Rain is not supposed to stop for many hours in the afternoon into the evening . Don't think this will be an equalizer of any kind really as the Rocks probably have the advantage in the run game .

Rocks have a couple younger Running backs who I think they need to bring along this year , not only for next year but for this year. Threats is a tremendous defensive player and with Kirk leaving for Hoban , safety is a position of need for the Rocks. Threats can be a difference maker back there and if he can not have to carry too heavy a load on offense he can be even a bigger presence on the defensive side of the ball.

Rocks have the experience and talent to win here. But if they aren't focused , don't play with a fanatical level of effort, don't finish and get off blocks , don't play with discipline , and don't execute well, the Country Clubbers can really hang here. I think the Rocks will be ready , have worked hard and have the players to make things happen that will make the difference.

Rocks 27 Celts 13

Last edited:
Not going to do the usual 10 or so predictions this week. No spreads to work with may be a a month or so situation as Cal Preps isn't going to have any numbers until October 1st I think and Louie Pasteur is sitting on the season as he is head of the match department at Wooster now and has too much to do . With at least one week of action next week I will take stabs at the final scores of games.

PN - PC - ESPN without Sawyer going loses some sheen as ESPN loves the 5 star showcases like Wimpy liked his Burgers. Plenty of talent on the field , the most of any game in CO this week no question . Tigers grind them down in the second half.

Bradley - Marysville - Bradley has skill and will move the football , can they be physical enough to limit the Monarchs run game? I like the Monarchs to keep this one close and this one will be a real nice contrast in styles . Last possession ?

Tangy at Orange - toss-up, Orange would be laying 7-10 points based on last year's play , may be more, I would have grabbed any available points here with the Braves. Should be a really good ballgame.

Upper Arlington at Westy Central - Buttemore era starts in UA and he will do a really nice job over there . Good run game developed last year with HD's Scally and Buttemore will implement the spread and they could be harder to defend . WC has a bit too much here.

Gahanna at Reynoldsburg. - Gahanna had a rough off season with a death of a player and the other guys in the program involved . Burg lost some folks but is more consistent at this point under White and should bag a victory tonight .

Hartley - Moeller, - Burchfield getting Moeller at a good time as he is upgrading the schedule as he gets more and more players into the school . Talent level is trending upwards every year . Hawks have more talent than Moeller at this point . Big Moe will be back a bit in 2-3 years IMO with their new coach. Interesting ballgame . Wouldn't touch this game with the proverbial ten foot pole.

Lets hope the weather holds up and the few fans that are lucky to attend stay dry and enjoy the action . Enjoy the streaming and radio action to all others and of course the games that are on TV . Stay safe and good luck and health to all . Go Rocks .

Rock with the running clock, guessing we will hear their skill kids were simply too much. Jerome a solid program, but they just dont have any of the explosiveness needed to compete with a team like Coffman.

I will admit that I had both feeds up tonight on the OSD games expecting to largely pay attention to Tangy/Orange, but there was so much action in the Berlin/Liberty game I actually watched a lot more of that. This was a great football game and both teams look to be offensive powerhouses. Berlin QB threw for 407 yards on 28 for 41 passing, and what ppl forget with stats like this is that these kids do this in a 48 min game and not 60 min like college/pros.

Berlin has a BB kid who came out for football and was effective a a taller passing target. They spread the ball around to 5 different receivers, went empty backfield a few times and literally stopped themselves in this game with 2 extremely damaging turnovers and a blocked FG that Liberty ran back for a TD. Berlin had nearly 500 yards and outgained Liberty by over 100, but Liberty was rock solid and played completely mistake free football, and cashed in on the mistakes they were handed, which ultimately won them the game.

This is not last year's Liberty team. RB is healthy and is fast plus breaks all kinds of tackles. Kind of shocked he did not get more carries. They threw the ball a lot and have several different effective targets, though Berlin's D is always compromised by being undersized and having lots of 2-way players so we will need to see Liberty in action against a real D1 defense to be sure. This is a dangerous offensive team with a lot of different weapons and the ability to really balance their offence.

Tangy seemed to be off to their typical slow start, as predicted, and they have to get better QB play. I was shocked at the lack of offense by both teams really. Tangy/Berlin just got REALLY interesting next week, because I don't think Liberty's defense is really all that bad despite the 500 yds Berlin rolled up. Berlin's offensive scheme is very hard to stop, its a west coast run/shoot and their only punts in the game were on drives they hurt themselves on with penalties. A lot of these kids played together as freshman at Tangy, going to be an interesting game/grudge match next week.

Made some comments about Davidson in the other thread, I don't think they are anything for the Rocks to worry about, but they have some promise developing if they are willing to invest in their passing game. Defense is good, but not great, I don't see them consistently stopping Coffman's skill players. If I'm Coffman I'm far more worried about the Liberty game next week for now, but I acknowledge there is some potential there for Davidson to get better. Coffman/Liberty next week is going to be an extremely skill-filled and high scoring game, likely one of the best matchups of the season in COH.

Last edited:
Yes Kramer , that was the difference. Jerome has a big strong experienced QB who made some plays , some nice athletes to get the ball to , BUT they weren't really at Coffman's level in space . They also have some big kids and some good younger kids as I have been saying for a while now .

Threats was a beast and quite frankly is a D-1 power five RB but will play defense at Cincinnati . Great HS player and great leader . Slot / DB Sheron Phipps was all over the place as well . QB Mathews had a nice deep throw and was in command of the offense with some nice runs as well . Too much speed , shake and experience as Jerome lost a bit more o defense than I thought and it showed. Jerome is coming though . Coffman isn't a passing team so next week vs. Liberty the Rocks won't throw the ball for anything like Berlin did . Threats hobbled off inside the 5 yard line going down { Hoping it is not serious cramp may be because he cramped before that as did a couple other Rocks tweak sprain?} untouched { Scored 4 Td's} didn't come back but it was 41-6 and a quick clock at that point. Hopefully he can go at Liberty .

Liberty RB is good , he is a shifty low to the ground tough kid. Kenly will be a nice test, Jerome ran it for a bit so I know Liberty will move it at times, but the Rocks are pretty disciplined . How was Liberty against the run ? Did Berlin run it at all ? As I said a coupe days I was leaning Tangy in this one , and knew they would keep it real close at the least . They ran the ball more and they have a pretty good Senior group with some physicality to them, Last year I watched them up close vs Coffman and they seemed to be a year away in terms of playing physically with the bigger boys.

They do play more both ways which isn't as big a deal in D-2 , but Solis still has some problems with only 14 Sophomores in the program . Impressive win for them . Yes very interesting that the Berlin kids started at Tangy and are going to play them. My guess is Berlin emptied the bucket vs Liberty and may be won't have enough left over 4? Yes Tangy went to the mat themselves but they may be more equipped physically this year ? I'm a Boston College fan { Hockey and hoops as well over the years} so I will always root for Coach Nori .

Big surprise to me in a game I felt would be real close was Marysville shutting out Bradley . Mentor coach Triv is there as an offensive coach as well ? Had the QB back who is a good athlete and hoops player and a D-1 receiver back . M-Ville I knew was going to very physical having seen them up close last year and they had some folks back . They pushed Coffman last year { 27-9 } and the year before . Powers is just a pure football player . You can put him anywhere on the field and he will do the job . They have other good players and good size. Not surprised they won but by 17? Is Bradley still a bit down from where they have been the previous 3-4 years ? Or has M-Ville taken a large step forward after making the play-offs last year going 6-4 ? They hadn't made the play-offs since 2013 before that . M-Ville may be a team no one wants to play in the play-offs, They should have everyone's attention now.

Yeah, Berlin did not attempt to run the ball that much at all. I do remember being a little surprised at some of the holes early on, but when you are adapting to covering 4 WRs that is understandable, and they closed things down quickly and didn't allow any gains past 10 yds I can remember. Berlin is not much of a ground game test for any team and will be running to setup the pass this year for sure. Next week sounds like a completely different test for Liberty for sure, they had some decent size at end, but don't remember their LBs doing anything spectacular. I'm sure Rocks will score points. Game will come down to the other matchup, and Im interested to see what that Liberty team will do against a real D1 defense.

Did not see any injury problems for either team coming out of the game, and as for Tangy/Berlin, for as much as all those kids hate Liberty from Jr High, I'm pretty sure their tanks will be completely refilled for next Friday as these schools have been talking about this game all summer as former teammates.

It was awesome to see the kids get out and play last night. Spaced out on the sidelines, sparse crowds , low roars . Streaming was in and out for me last night , game was on the radio in the back round . Of course the radio feeds can be frustrating as things are well, I will just leave it at that .

Anyway really good to see football being played and lets hope it continues. Rocks started slowly as they get a fumble on the first play and a penalty negates it and the Country Clubbers started moving the ball. They ran the ball a few times pretty well and their four wide screen game was effective where they had the Rocks out numbered a few times on the edge and walled off the defenders nicely. Rocks rushed 3 more than I thought they would giving Miller time to pass on many occasions .

He threw some really nice balls and some that were off target. Celts pretty much caught everything thrown to them . They had 200 passing and ran the ball well at times . First score was kind of a throw back screen that was wide open. Nicely set up with the plays before it and well executed. Kick was blocked . Rocks moved it right down the field to the 10 . Threats came out and Mathews got his helmet knocked off so he missed a play . Sloppy crap on those three plays . Missed FG , a second scrimmage like miss .

First quarter flew by overall but the Rocks would take the lead before the end of it . Country Clubbers went for it on their own 29 on 4th and less than one after the missed FG . Went full three stacked RB set and didn't get it { They went again later on in a different part of the field and used the 6-2 205 pound QB sneak, they should have done that here , but gave the Rocks a chance to penetrate. Threats for the score right after that on a run that was pure him.

Jerome moved it just into Rocks territory { 38?} and had a nice screen set up but Hammond Russell who was a handful for the Celts all night from his DE spot got up and intercepted it and ran it down to the Celts 14 . The West Virginia commit is going to be a guy teams will have to game plan for . Threats again on a run 14-6 . Momentum shift . 5 minutes later Rocks again score with Threats again from 3 yards. Big play was a 4th down conversion near midfield . Rocks weren't good on third down { 1-5} But were 2-2 on 4th down. 21-6 . Rocks were playing better on defense now and got the ball back and at this point the Rocks had only thrown one pass and there was a few minutes left in the half . Celts were keying run and Phipps flew by the coverage on play action and Mathews hit him in stride for a 47 TD . 27-6 and pretty much ballgame at that point.

Celts were moving the ball near the end of the half but Rocks stopped them at about the DC 40 . Coffman not content to sit on the ball to end the half went deep to Threats who made the play down to the 10 . Seconds remained and they had may be two shots at the end zone . Threats again on a pass from Mathews at the pylon . 34-6

Rocks got the ball to start the half and moved it right down the field inside the 10 and scored on a 2 yard run by LB- RB Devon Williams a Minnesota commit who came in for Threats who hobbled off { Cramps I believe?} and didn't play after this initial drive as the game sped up due to the running clock at 41-6 which is the score at the end . Jerome moved it well down to the Rocks 2 yard line but went backwards from there missing on a 4th down pass from the 10 with Russell pressuring Miller out of the pocket. Jerome defense was behind their offense and had less experience .I figured a Rocks get to 3 score lead and then may be give one up later. Celts will be fine on offense but are rebuilding a bit on defense . Big plays went Rocks way in the first half and the game could have been closer at that point more like the last two years may be but the Rocks with 13 starters back and Threats being too much to handle for them , the game got out of hand real quick .

Listened to the scoreboard show on 820 , I heard an interesting tidbit something I hadn't thought of from Coach Johnson of Marysville . Now I thought this was going to be a good ballgame and not surprised that Marysville won the game but the ease they did it with was a bit surprising . Coach was asked how the program adapted to the Covid off season workout plan , conditioning etc. Johnson said that being in Union county they had not as many restrictions and that the off-season went pretty much like it would have under normal circumstances .

They were in great shape and things went smoothly . So this likely played a role in the dominant win . I figure most programs around the outerbelt in Franklin/Delaware count who really put in the work were in the same boat basically . Did the best the could and were in basically the same shape. May be Marysville is a bit ahead right now? Last night it surely seemed like it .

Coach Crabtree in his radio appearance suggested his team wasn't in the type of shape they needed to be just yet which is probably the norm for most programs . I would say the games will be cleaned up quite a bit in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Some interesting match-ups this week and the one seeming to get the most attention is Coffman Liberty . Liberty has been an excellent play-off team the last 4 years and had a really strong regular season last year winning many close games despite being hit hard by the injury big but petered out early in the play-offs . Coffman has been consistently good and has a history with Liberty . 8-1 in favor of the Rocks but they lost in 2018 in the regional final to the Patriots and that was the biggest most important win and most recent.

Not really a revenge spot for the Rocks as most guys didn't play in that one . Kirk is at Hoban was one of them, Devon Williams and Hammond Russell were young pups . A lot of respect for the Liberty program here in Dublin and how they do their business. Always very well prepared and don't often beat themselves . Numbers are large and their staff coaches them up .

Rocks on paper are the favorites to win the league , and to win this game . Games and league titles aren't won on paper and the Rocks know that well as they had to shared the league title last year despite clearly being the most talented team who was more impressive over the entire course of their league schedule than the two teams they shared the title with were. This game will be a challenge and should be a good match-up.

Coach Crabtree has mentioned that the Rocks need to keep conditioning and get in better shape . HE IS RIGHT . They aren't alone in this position around Central Ohio of course but this is a process that is ongoing . It was evident that the Rocks did some good off season work and the players made some gains overall as a group . BUT the game shape and the conditioning that is necessary to compete at a high effective level for 48minutes isn't there yet. Conditioning and some workouts in the weight room are still absolutely imperative to getting the team to where they need to be going forward.

Still chewing on this match-up a bit but at least we have some tangible evidence to go on as we look at the action.

Other interesting match-ups this week include

Burg at Groveport- How good is Burg ? Has GPM maintained last years level?

Berlin at Tangy- Rivals in a special way as some Berlin players actually were Tangy students as frosh

Pick North at Westy Central- PC is just too good , so what PN can be will be come into a clearer focus after this one . WC is highly thought of in the second tier or the Behind PC tier

Davidson at Orange - Is Hilliard football down this year and Darby was just a little worse { Bradley shut out by M-Ville} than the Cats and both will be fine and win some ballgames or will both along with Bradley struggle ? This game with Orange not being able to score on Tangy wil help answer that thought in the being down vane.

Bradley at Upper Arlington - Is Bradley down a bit ? Is Marysville just that much better ? UA did some good things vs. Westy C . Very interesting .

Marysville at Darby - I have a feeling on this one that I will be sharing when I pick the games , but suffice to say I think the question I just posed will possibly become clearer after this one.

Scioto at Kilbourne- Seeing the two Worthington schools dominate on the same weekend has been a rare sight in this era. WK has a good young coach who struggled in his first year but coming from a good source and the scoreboard evidence in the Canal game WK is markedly improved. Scioto defense took the night off in the Westy South Ibbies game but they can move the football . Should be a really nice tilt.

Last edited:
Week 2 and we start league play . Teams are in last scrimmage shape but are playing teams they would have at mid-season. This particular season will be spoken of for many years to come. Some of our future grandkids will ask about that season . This pandemic . Only parents could attend? People wearing masks? How many died? Kids couldn't go to school every day? Only some days? How long did this last? Wow.

There is usually a normal familiar rhythm to it. A first scrimmage that is very un-game like, , some teams invite a second or third team to it . It's just a chance to hit someone else and run plays at a different pace and against an opponent. Second scrimmage is either a teams last one and more game like, or the second of three and is a bit more structured may be. You see some future opponents scouts at these tilts . It is often on a Saturday and many more fans will watch, many parents will attend . It's a first look at what all the offseason work looks like. Kids look a bit different , move a bit different than they did the previous season. This is usually a good thing.

Many coaches are approaching the early season as more of a teachable moments exercise. Old man Harbin isn't watching and judging their work. Mistakes can be made , new things can be tried without a seriously poor grade being given. Less pressure. The big boss with the critical eye is on vacation this season. How are we playing in week 6 going into week 7 seems to be the popular sentiment.

We don't know how many teams will opt out of a certain first round beatdown and just schedule a couple more games against more like opponents? How will the regions look? How much travel will be allowed? We already know if you get a high seed you are playing home games to start the play-offs as usual BUT you stay there for anohter 3 weeks may be if you keep winning? Will teams that get upset early in the play-off want to play a couple games? Yes they will be more meaningless but give the younger kids more reps and be better prepared for the next year.

You want at least 10 games if you can get them in right? Where will the final 8 and final four games be played? State final games? May be it's best for all involved to embrace the well worn cliche. Take it one week at a time . One day at a time .Practice , do the work , stay healthy , stay safe and don't congregate in large groups . Do what you can do to control what you can control and play as many games as you can .

Was talking with a guy about star systems in recruiting and how much they mean and how they determine them . Many of the top NFL guys weren't 4 or 5 star guys . That doesn't determine who are the best of the best in many cases. It's attitude , work ethic and production. Durability , being tenacious. Focused on goals and working to get better. You see 4 star kids who don't appear any better or even not as good as some three star guys . Some kids you think have a ton of potential can't get the third star. If you get offered by a D-1 school to go to school tuition and room and board free , and play college football the number of stars you obtained in the recruiting process is erased once you get to camp . The more stars you have the more pressure.

Rocks had their highest rated recruit since Stoneburner and Adams from the great 2007 team that lost by a hair to a great undefeated ST X team in Mike Drennan. A 4 star recruit. He had his moments , but really only had one big year in his career. Had the talent and moves. Didn't play a lot of football in 2 of his 4 seasons. Was being recruited since he was 14 . Got the 4th star during his Junior season where he was a big difference maker. Their best football player the last couple seasons has been Bryon Threats . Not real close . Rocks have some other really good players who do thier jobs at Threats type levels BUT they can't do as many things well as he does. No debate to me that he is a better football player than Mike Drennan . No Coffman fan really disputes that. Threats is a three star kid who plays like a 4 star . Production and playmaking ability = 4 star . Hype and length of attention = 3 star .

Doesn't really matter in the end because once you get to college ? You start over and it's your real confidence , work ethic, and attitude that will be more important than an extra star.

Different type season and times we live in . It's the first year football is more like Volleyball or soccer. You are playing in some really good match-ups against rivals , working to get better, playing for seeding, having fun competing with your friends. Losses aren't fatal , there is no point system that will determine that you will not be participating in the post season. It is also different because you feel a certain gratitude that you are actually getting to play . Hopefully things will get better as the season goes on and we can get more fans to be able to attend games in the play-offs { 25-30 percent ?} . Then again , just having play-offs will be good .

A good handful of games to look at and some interesting match-ups in this 6 game local fare only sampler platter of a season.

WEEK 2

Teams will be doing well to get to first game of the year form this week . Conditioning lags behind which is understandable but the fact it some teams are just a bit ahead of some others. Experience is more of a key this year, the solidness of conditioning programs is incredibly important . We all know that some programs do it better in this regard than others. I have an idea who might be in a bit better conditioning in these first few weeks but it's a fluid situation. As is the season in general . But it looks like we will have a Covid drama free week two . Kudos to the kids coaches and administration for handling this once in a century situation so well .

Diligence , consistency and discipline . Labor day weekend is a HUGE test for the citizens of the United States . We saw upticks after the Memorial day weekend and the 4th of July holiday. Families and friends please keep this in mind when you contemplate having large gatherings for cookouts , pool party's and please no large gatherings inside for any reason. If we do this right, there will be a shortened season and a full paly-off season . People will not catch the virus and may be spread it to their more at risk older relatives with more co- morbidities . Very trying time and the fatigue of the not living their normal lifestyle is wearing on people . Myself and my family included in a variety of ways.

So many events , get togethers weddings , trips , normal vacations , work and travel either affected cancelled or a combo of both . College visits scrapped , limited in school instruction. Last Friday Night looked like a last scrimmage attendance wise . Some very interesting games this week 2 and a big long weekend. Be smart, be safe and stay disciplined .

Dublin East SE At Worthington Kilbourne - This line would usually contain the LP Line { Pasteur numbers } or the Cal Preps numbers , not so this year unfortunately. CP numbers will come back October 1st? We'll see . Louie is a math prof at Wooster , he is the department head . Huge challenges for he and the college in these trying times. He rightfully is putting his full energy into navigating the rough educational challenges in Covid times.

Dublin East { Of the river} SE is short for the Sawmill Express. I coined that phrase a few years back when the Irish were a very dangerous throwing team with a wide open spread offense. This year that moniker will be very apt. QB Jenkins was making big plays throwing for 376 yards on 34 throws{ 11 an attempt is damn impressive} RB Worthen ran for over a hundy { 13- 102} . The SE had almost 500 yards of offense and lost by a couple scores to the Westy South IB's . They were bitten by a couple deadly malady's. the Minus 4 Turnover number , and the Kaden Saunders virus. If you haven't seen Saunders play ? he's worth the price of admission and the spill of mustard on your shirt when you leap out of your seat too quickly when he gets the ball into his mitts. Check out his tape .

No shame in getting Kaden Saundered. He got loose for 142 receiving yards and 3 difference making scores. The top rated 2022 recruit in Co and one of the top playmakers in the country. Kilbourne had a very good opener after going 1-9 last year defeating Canal fairly comfortably . But looking a little deeper ? You don't see a truly dominant performance. QB Tomasek one of the best punters in the country , was efficient , going 11-14 for 237 . The run game was decent , not great. Yardage was about even with Canal . Canal had more first downs . WK had a + 2 Turnover margin. They gave up 245 yards rushing. They were only 1-10 on third down.

The Ibbies had Saunders a veteran QB and more athletes than WK has . WK was on the field for over 60 plays and ran only 45 . I think some are getting a little ahead of themselves when making the Wolves the favorites here . My WK source is excited and sees good improvement, BUT knows the transformation is still a work in progress. Canal was an inexperienced squad last week who made a few more mistakes and lost the game by a slightly misleading margin .

The Irish saw an excellent passing attack last week and this weeks' attack will pale a bit in comparison . The game will be a bit slower adn they will defend the lesser passing attack with lesser weapons better. The Wolves didn't see and get to prepare at all for what they will see this week as CW got the bulk of their yards on the ground .

Irish still the better club . The margin this year will be less than last year { 16 points } but the SE gets it done here making a few more plays

Dub E SE 30 WK 20

Week 2 Cont.

Marysville at Hilliard Darby -

M-Ville is the big old country boy strength cliche. 'Farm Strength ". Truth is M-Ville community isn't all that much a real farming town but rather just a bit more out of the way a bit more rural Columbus suburb. Yes Coffman always did a 'Country " out when the Monarchs traveled down 33 to play the Rocks. The raw strength and size is real though They have been developing this identity for a couple years and can really grind you physically. They pound the rock , they use some misdirection. They have 2 legit backs who can gash you . 5 star Linebacker Powers who is heading to OSU and Kern who is near 200 pounds of power. Sen these boys up close adn they are a bit bigger stronger 2020 version now.

Defense bent a bit vs. a talented Bradley offense with an experienced QB and two D-1 receivers { TE Pugh and WR Mayfield} to throw to but got the shut out. 17-0 was as impressive a performance as we saw last week. M-Ville coach said the team is great shape and was not affected much by the Covid restrictions . I believe him . Darby gave up a nice chunk of yards to Davidson who is rebuilding a bit up front and had a new QB . Two 15 yard PF's on the last 80 yard drive didn't help matters. Davidson very good Jr .RB Leo Nixon had a day for himself running the rock and catching a 30 + yard TD pass . I suspect Darby's defensive performance won't improve much this week. Gave up about 275 yards offense to HD . HD is not Marysville running the football this season IMO. Davidson defense is more inexperienced than M-Ville's is . Darby goes to 0-2 here.

M-Ville will continue to be a story this year . M-Ville 23 Darby 6

Week 2 Cont.

Ye Olde Tommy W - at Dublin Muirfield -

Country Clubbers got Bryon Threated last week. No answer for him. They were in the right place at the right time on a few occasions but simply got beat by a gifted runner. Rocks had too many athletes . The Country Clubbers were a bit more green on defense than I had realized . Their offense is pretty solid and has some kids back including 2 and a half year starter Miller who was effective at times and is a tough competitor. He will run the ball and dip his 200 pound frame into defenders if needed . Receivers Stoner and Martin made some plays and the Celts had some nice Rb's in their stable that I didn't know much about but they did a nice job, running hard and effectively at times. Defense should be more comfortable not having to defend a team the caliber of Coffman this week.

Settles is a a very tall athlete at QB { didn't play last year but is a Sr.} who was unstoppable last week . That's where the good news stops however. Newark { Pronounced Nerk , learned during a meeting with someone from Delaware about 20 years ago that is pronounced NUU ARK . in that tiny state. Is it pronounced NEW WORK anywhere?} is more JV level right now . So YOTW got to scrimmage a JV team where as the Country Clubbers faced an experienced legit top ten team in Ohio . Jerome will move the football and their defense will attack and take their frustrations from last week out on the Ye Olders comfortably . The trip back on 161 will be a quiet one for the Cards.

Dub Muirfield 38 YOTW 11

Last edited:
Week 2 Cont.

So I will be using Cal Preps numbers which started this week . Got off to a good start last night as Scioto in a very sloppy contest evened it's record at 1-1 beating Kilbourne 21-13 . Irish should have had at least 35 points as they were inept at finishing drives . Kilbourne QB Tomasek went down with looked like a knee and the back up- looked to roll his ankle. Kilbourne held tough scoring on two plays , a quick slant that was played poorly by the Irish DB and a gadget HB pass . The Irish closed this game like they were scared to go home. Irish down to the five under 2 minutes only needing a FG to wrap the sucker up , went backwards, [Penalty's} then with about 120 left on third and 20 inexplicably threw a pass into the end zone when WK had no timeouts left . Incomplete stopped the clock . Ran the next play for a few yards stopping the clock again on the change of possession . INCREDIBLY OBTUSE . Anyway trophy stays in Dublin for the 5th straight year. Cal Preps had Kilbourne as a 5 point favorite . Suffice to say I covered it. Jerome is a 26 point favorite in a game I already did and I am amending it slightly based on the line . I had Jerome by 22 but will make it 27 and getting the cover . Marysville is a 10 point favorite over Darby and I have the Monarchs covering this line.

R- Burg at Groveport Mad - CP Line GPM - 15

A little heavy to me . GPM had a scrimmage like game as many were , but beat an overmatched Westland club 38-0 . Just not a good gauge of what GPM has but they turned a corner last year obviously and have a few horses back. They have the experience edge here and are a tough down hill running team .They will keep it simple and try to control the ball and the clock. Burg won their game handily vs. Gahanna but looking at the flow of the game and the numbers per snap, the disparity wasn't as large as the margin. Tough game to figure but an interesting match-up .Burg has a lot of new guys out there but has talent. they have a few really good players and a QB who has the ability to make plays. Going conservative here and taking the larger than expected spread . GPM 27 Burg 14

Davidson at Olentangy Orange - CP Line Orange - 7

Interesting match-up here and the line is a big higher than I figured it would be . Low scoring may be a given here . Like some of Oranges defensive players and they played a stingy game vs Tangy last week but their offense was anemic. The Pioneers saw a run heavy scheme from Tangy and that will help them this week vs. Davidson who will throw it a few more times a game under new management. Interesting tidbit I was surprised about { Not really actually} was the fact that Coach Scally and Brian White haven't spoken in a long while. Scally taking the UA job last year was a bridge too far for the hall of fame coach. White steps down and Scally is welcomed back.

New helmets , new attitude, same basic system. Kids can relax a bit more now it appears. Same strong work ethic , same run first mentality and same defensive sets. Nixon was the star last week and the MVP of the game. Doesn't appear that RB Weir played at all .He is a crucial piece, but Nixon carried the burden well. Darby seems to throw up all over themselves when the game is on the line vs Davidson more than not. Last week is no exception. Got the lead late , Davidson needing 80 yards to win the game. Darby gives them 30 free yards on PF's , Davidson finishes the drive and wins . Typical. Last year it was not being able to snap the ball on punts that killed them. Orange has a large RB Applewhite , a new QB for the 5th straight year , and a nice WR in Konczak . QB can run the ball a bit . Too many points in what should be a low scoring quick moving game.

Orange 16 Davidson 13

Last edited:
Week 2 cont.

Pick North at Westy Central - CP Line WC - 2

PN got the huge jolt of Jack Sawyer opting out. To my knowledge he is the only high profile kid to choose not to play. Sawyer is the real deal and an intense competitor , so it's not a DIVA situation you sometimes see with celebrity HS players. Kids get more attention and more attention earlier than ever before . It sometimes goes to their heads . Sawyer not playing is disappointing from a fans perspective as well. BUT how many fans would be able to see him ? Not many . Dewine did say that possibly the order will be amended adn that possibly down the road more fans may be able to go. Looking at the game last night , I saw the expected smattering of relatives and others at the game. Almost all sitting on top of each other in the middle of the stands while the rows of stands from the 30 to the end zone empty and barren. What's the point of limiting it to 15 percent when the people who are allowed in don't socially distance at all ?

I have no problem with the restrictions if it means the kids get to play, but aside from a few family members sitting close, why are all the families sitting so close to each other? If they had better provisions about sitting close to each other, you could have 30 percent filled more spaced out ? So some have to sit near the goal line ?

OH , back to this match-up . PN still some guys who are going to play in college . They are talented still. WC is also . RB Ross for the Warhawks looks good. UA pressed them a bit .WC was the better club and the score was a bit closer than it should have been . PN was simply overmatched by PC who has their best team they have had in this recent run of excellence. That is saying something as they have won two state championships in the last 3 seasons. Incredibly stable of size sped and talent. This isn't Jack Johnson's Pick teams. Things have changed in the community since then . Much more athletic talent overall. Just as it is hard to gauge clubs based on playing a lesser team, it is sometimes equally difficult to assess a team based on playing a juggernaut. PN has had issues at QB lately. Grove City's QB the last two years is now at PN. They are also getting one from Centennial via city league free agency this week . Grove City kid may be disillusioned by the lack of Loyalty? LOL.

So to me with Swaney at WR D-1 QB Holtzclaw , talented RB Ross , and a gargantuan O-Line , the advantage lies with WC Here when you judge the offensive match-up. Lawrence is a good back for PN . He had no room last week. He will have more and PN will likely try to establish him and the run game this week to keep their defense off of the field unlike last week when they never left it.

Bottom line is when in doubt in what looks to be a competitive match-up ? Go with the better QB who is more familiar with the system. WC is slightly better as the CP line of only 2 suggests.

Westy Central 24 PN 17

HC, I'm pretty concerned about the relative strength of PN when I start digging thru their schedule last year a little more. I still have serious questions about how good this Orange team actually is (i.e. last year may have been an apparition), and the Coffman game last year may really be the only impressive win PN had last year. Now, I realize anyone can look bad going up against PC, but they seemed rather lifeless for a national tv game and also not sure about skill position depth or general talent their lower classes are bringing to the table, though I admittedly don't follow their program as closely as others.

WC is still somewhat of an enigma to me, the Freshman game that this senior class played vs Tangy (back then Berlin + Tangy) was likely one of the most well-played Freshman games in the area this decade. Just tons of talent on both sides of the ball, and WC had incredible size both on the lines and at the skill positions and I remember being terrified of what their kids were going to become.

WC seems to suffer from execution problems and lack of ability to maximize talent the past couple years (not sure if it is as bad as Orange's history in this regard) and I'm not sure what to blame that on other than the head coaching change? This team should be out there crushing most of their opponents, yet they dont.

If they ever do break out, I expect it will be very ugly for the opposing team. And this might be the week where that happens, so I have WC much bigger here.

Tangy/Berlin, Tangy's offense not able to take advantage of a couple D1 WRs they have due to lack of QB play is a huge disappointment. Berlin's defense was a huge question mark going into the season, they really played much better than I expected they would vs Liberty and completely held Kenly in check (and trust me, that kid is going to have a BIG year if he stays healthy). Liberty got 3 TDs via turnover (in essence), but their running attack is much different than Solis's.

Berlin has 5 legit passing targets, and got a huge boost from a 1st time player whose main sport is Bball. They are throwing the ball so quickly in a run/shoot scheme that Tangy's line advantage may be negated. Unless they kill themselves with turnovers and penalties like they did vs Liberty, this team is going to score points. The game really comes down to Berlin's ability to stop the run and not allow Tangy to dominate TOP, while at the same time not get burned by a sneaky downfield pass to one of their great receivers, a couple of which who have 6 inches on their defenders.

Last edited:
HC, I'm pretty concerned about the relative strength of PN when I start digging thru their schedule last year a little more. I still have serious questions about how good this Orange team actually is (i.e. last year may have been an apparition), and the Coffman game last year may really be the only impressive win PN had last year. Now, I realize anyone can look bad going up against PC, but they seemed rather lifeless for a national tv game and also not sure about skill position depth or general talent their lower classes are bringing to the table, though I admittedly don't follow their program as closely as others.

WC is still somewhat of an enigma to me, the Freshman game that this senior class played vs Tangy (back then Berlin + Tangy) was likely one of the most well-played Freshman games in the area this decade. Just tons of talent on both sides of the ball, and WC had incredible size both on the lines and at the skill positions and I remember being terrified of what their kids were going to become.

WC seems to suffer from execution problems and lack of ability to maximize talent the past couple years (not sure if it is as bad as Orange's history in this regard) and I'm not sure what to blame that on other than the head coaching change? This team should be out there crushing most of their opponents, yet they dont.

If they ever do break out, I expect it will be very ugly for the opposing team. And this might be the week where that happens, so I have WC much bigger here.

Tangy/Berlin, Tangy's offense not able to take advantage of a couple D1 WRs they have due to lack of QB play is a huge disappointment. Berlin's defense was a huge question mark going into the season, they really played much better than I expected they would vs Liberty and completely held Kenly in check (and trust me, that kid is going to have a BIG year if he stays healthy). Liberty got 3 TDs via turnover (in essence), but their running attack is much different than Solis's.

Berlin has 5 legit passing targets, and got a huge boost from a 1st time player who's main sport is Bball. They are throwing the ball so quickly in a run/shoot scheme that Tangy's line advantage may be negated. Unless they kill themselves with turnovers and penalties like they did vs Liberty, this team is going to score points. The game really comes down to Berlin's ability to stop the run and not allow Tangy to dominate TOP, while at the same time not get burned by a sneaky downfield pass to one of their great receivers, a couple of which who have 6 inches on their defenders.

Good post as always. I hear you on PN . Coffman was without Kirk at safety{ It was getting clear that he wasn't going to play at all } Drennan was aa non factor and didn't play at all in the second half , Russell went down in the first half and Threats played zero offensive snaps . A weird tipped pass on 4th down that bounced off 5 hands and a double move CB slip long TD pass erased a 14 point lead for Coffman who was driving and stalled . Why Threats wasn't in the game on offense to put it away is still a mystery . Sawyer willed his team to win that on and Coffman was minus three D-1 kids and didn't use another one on offense adn he's an All Ohio back . Brutal loss and as it was they had a two point conversion to tie the game at the end . Still didn't use Threats on offense that play either.

Anyway I feel you . The series is one of blowouts with North having three of the wins and Central getting one last year. Should cover the two point spread lol . I also remember seeing WC as frosh scrimmaging Coffman on the back field when the Varsity /JV were scrimmaging at the stadium . I sat on the WC side and could see the scrimmage at the top of the stands . WC was HUGE I remember saying to the guy I was with Holy chit they are huge., and they were dominant at times in that tilt . WC has too much a tendency to play to competition though. Had no business losing to Orange and Liberty last year . I like the trend to stop this year of total blowouts in this series. That huge Frosh size advantage dissipates over time . Jerome when they have played wins the Frosh game over Coffman pretty much every year , mostly pretty easily the last 7-8 years . WC just got by UA , UA is pretty good actually .Buttermore can coach . I see something similar tonight . WC should win no doubt . Tough to know what PN has when it plays a mortal team. Liberty looks a bit undersized this year. Berlin has some nice weapons , athletic kids . Coffman has more speed . Berlin kids got behind them a few times . Doesn't bode well , BUT Coffman isn't a passing team and I have no doubt that Tangy will scheme to stop the run . Good luck to the Bears tonight . Looking at that game shortly .

Harrycrane: UA question

Given the 2020 schedule, I don't see many wins. With that being said, from viewing last weeks game, I think UA has the potential to be a good team. If they only manage one or two wins I still see them as a tough out for someone come playoff time.

Upper Arlington 2020 Football (0-1)

8/28 H W.Central L 23-28
9/4 A Hilliard Bradley
9/11 H Olen Liberty
9/18 A Olen Orange
9/25 H Coffman
10/2 A Hilliard Davidson

I’m really curious to see how Pick North does tonight. I think they looked bad against Central but I think Central’s defense might be really, REALLY good.

Central returns 8 or 9 starters from a unit that held Mentor and Elder to a combined 35 points in back to back weeks in the playoffs when each of those teams were averaging better than 35 points per game before playing Central.

Central’s defense looked really good against Coffman and then Coffman lit up the scoreboard against Jerome.

So maybe.... North isn’t as bad as they looked. Guess we’ll see tonight.

I’m really curious to see how Pick North does tonight. I think they looked bad against Central but I think Central’s defense might be really, REALLY good.

Central returns 8 or 9 starters from a unit that held Mentor and Elder to a combined 35 points in back to back weeks in the playoffs when each of those teams were averaging better than 35 points per game before playing Central.

Central’s defense looked really good against Coffman and then Coffman lit up the scoreboard against Jerome.

So maybe.... North isn’t as bad as they looked. Guess we’ll see tonight.
I tend to agree with this . Central defense is special . Not that the the offense isn't really solid but the defense is scary good and PN with a new QB and not the same type of off-season spelled expected disaster really . They are going to be really hard to score on .

Week 2 cont.

Olentangy Berlin at Olentangy - CP line Tangy - 21

Huge line here . Tangy had a very physical run orientated game vs. rival Orange. Held them to 175 yards offense by keeping the ball on the ground and grinding it out. Not your typical Tangy attack. New QB has some weapons though . Some of those weapons are also playing defense as they Braves are still short some numbers after the school split.

Berlin racked up over 450 yards of offense on Liberty , over 400 through the air. QB stand tall in the pocket and throws a very accurate catchable football. Three year starter with some nice weapons to get the ball to. Gave up just over 300 yards to Liberty , mostly through the air. Berlin made some mistakes in coverage and lost the turnover battle 2-0. Big play was a blocked FG where the kid just stood there and a Liberty kid picked it up and scored . Ball was in a pile near the line of scrimmage so the kids seemed confused . Turned out to be a significant play early on.

Tangy had 31 minutes and change of possession vs. Orange. this is something they may want to try to duplicate tonight . Both teams combined for only 150 yards through the air . Tangy is more mature adn they have some solid lineman, but they have a handful playing two ways throughout the line-up. Berlin did a fairly good job vs the run vs.Liberty which bodes well for them tonight. The Braves will face a much better passing attack tonight than they saw last week. Can Berlin limit Tangy on the ground ? Can Tangy defend the very solid passing attack of Berlin? 21 is too high . i like the Braves with their experience , solid coaching and a good Senior group to get it done but it won't be that easy .

Tangy 24 Berlin 15

Week 2 cont.

Coffman Rocks vs Olentangy Liberty patriots- CP Line DC - 21

Another three TD spread. Seems high . Coffman has more individual talent no question . Liberty knows how to win ballgames and have won vs opponents who may have more talent than they have at times. They have big numbers 30-35 a class consistently. They just get kids out and they have achieved a consistency of product that is very business like in it's efficiency. Coffman with an 8-1 edge but lost the big one two years ago in a regional final . The defensive game plan Liberty had in that one was outstanding . they had the confidence coming in after shutting down a very talented R-Burg squad the week before. Coffman had trouble moving it with any consistency . Down 7-0 they finally had some momentum but dropped a pass in the end zone that would have tied the contest mid third quarter. That was all she wrote in a game that Coffman never seized the momentum and that was the chance they had and didn't make the play . Liberty outplayed them the rest of the way and got the well deserved win. Only a couple kids played in that one and it means little tonight.

Tonight the teams square off at Liberty in week two of a six game regular season that had a different off-season. Coffman may have the edge in terms of the pre-season, not that worked any harder as the Patriots are a grinding put in the work program for sure, but rather more guys who played a lot of snaps last year , especially on defense . Rocks defense may be more ready to roll here. Liberty seems a bit undersized on defense this year . The Rocks aren't mammoth on offense themselves but they have some playmakers that can give them some trouble in the same way some Berlin kids did last week. My guess is Liberty will try to limit Threats from controlling the ballgame as he is so capable of doing.

The Rocks are like a fast break basketball team who gets hot and can change the proceedings in a big way in a hiccup . Games can be moving along and it's fairly competitive and then boom, it's a three score game. Liberty being as well coached as they are will improve a lot this week and I figure they will try to make someone else besides Threats beat them. Bend a bit trying not to break down. Patriots defensive front and LB's seem a bit smaller , and they have a couple shorter DB's. That side of the ball is where I see the match-up going the Rocks way. Coffman gave up some plays to Jerome and there was a couple missed assignments to be sure. Liberty will see this on tape and try to do what Jerome did . Now Jerome only scored 6 points but moved it at times . liberty running back Kenley is really solid. He has quick feet and good balance . Rock swill be tested . QB is a first year starter but a Senior who knows the system . Throws a nice ball . A couple receivers who contributed last year .

This would have been a near packed house under normal conditions and is a very interesting match-up. Rocks will have to be patient and be tight assignment wise and they should be fine . They will eventually be in a position to make some plays o both sides of the ball and they just have to play their game and do it . Liberty O-line could have some issues with Russell coming for the QB and Williams coming from his OLB position.

Rocks with more experience and speed overall get it done but they will be pushed some for sure. 21 points is a large nut. Rocks need to stay home be disciplined and gap sound . If they can be consistently good at these do 'your job" fundamentals they win . Offensive playmakers will take care of their business at some point. Kids just need to relish another week to show their stuff, their talent and play with enthusiasm and have fun with it . Winning is fun , making plays is fun . The work it took to get where they are now wasn't and isn't always fun . Go out and ball and like last week show the work you've put in. Show the fruits of the labor . Fast , focused relentless and smart.

Rocks 31 Liberty 16

Last edited:
Week 2 cont.

Upper Arlington at Bradley LP Line UA - 14

Heavy line here. Very interesting match-up . UA certainly looked a bit better than Bradley did last week which explains the heaviness of the number . Both teams have new coaches in the fold . UA with a newer staff and HC and Bradley with former Mentor HOF coach serving as OC.

Buttermore brings a more spread like attack to UA who was a run heavy squad last year under former Davidson assistant now HC coach Scally who went across the river for one year . Game one saw UA a bit more successful on the ground than through the air overall. What we saw from both clubs last week was inefficiency on third down . UA QB Monnin who has potential was only 12-28 for 160 yards and the Bears were only 2 for 13 on third down. OC Triv the legendary builder of the great Mentor program that featured a deadly passing attack most years is a a great addition to the Bradley program . Then problem was it was the first game and the off-season work was limited .

Like UA with their new offensive OC they struggled on third down as well converting only 3 of 13 . Bradley played pretty well on defense against a physical Marysville team with a couple good bigger backs. But the Jags had trouble when they go inside or near the 20 stalling on every occasion. 218 yards of offense and no points .They have two big time D-1 weapons in TE Pugh and WR Mayfield. QB Mirgon was 15-29 for 156 and ran for 80 yards on 17 carries. Probably don't want him running that many times a game . Bradley will see more of a passing attack this week but they will also get a dose of 200 pound Gresock at RB who ran for 160 yards last week on 30 carries . Look for both clubs to be a cleaner on third down and for Bradley to be better offensively . It was spoken that Bradley wasn't comfortable just yet with the new tweaks and had trouble finishing drives . I see them keeping it a bit more simple this week and having the ball a bit more as well.

I see this one being very competitive with not much separating the clubs overall . UA should get the win here and it will be close so grabbing the 14 is a no brainer IMO anyway.

UA 24 Bradley 20

Week 2 cont.

Lenkuhster at Central Crossing - CP Line Lenky - 12

Bet of the week ? Possibly.? Likely? YES . Gaels run it , they throw it and they score about 30 something here. CC moved it against grove City but didn't finish drives and missed a short FG that would have won really late . Not much more to say but that this is a weak line. Gaels roll after missing an opportunity to get a big win against a solid NA program last week due to some big mistakes . Gaels seems to lose these type of close tough contests. They won't have to worry about the little things losing them the game this week .

Gaels 33 CC 9

Interested to hear details of how Liberty/Coffman went, quite surprised they were able to shut out Liberty in the 2nd half, they must have done a hell of a job.

WC, I know the min I give up on them they are gonna turn into a good team, but I give up. Shame on me for expecting something different, go thru this every year now. Nice bounceback by Pick North.

The battle of former teammates between Tangy/Berlin actually exceeded the hype, what an incredible football game. Know it will look like in the stat sheets that nobody played defense (and Berlin really didn't in the 2nd half), but there was some pretty amazing talent on display and Berlin really has something special going with their offense, with over 550 yards and another 444 passing game by QB Moeller, who now has over 850 yards passing against 2 VERY good teams.

Tangy has a very good defense and solid players. Berlin's passing offense is just on another level right now, and a jr WR Lawrence (8) has emerged as a sure-fire 1st team all state player. He is ALWAYS open, even when the defender is in lock step with him. He simply makes every catch no matter the coverage, it's simply absurd some of the balls he comes up with. The opposing parents are yelling at their team and coach, but there literally is nothing they can do. Think he has 450 yds receiving in 2 games, also plays defense and led in tackles both games.

Berlin's scheme is quite simply, indefensible. After throwing mostly outs last week, they completely flipped things and most of the routes were ins, digs, posts. They are never just running blind fly patterns, there's always a hitch in the route 15 or 20 yards down field and it quite often gets the WR open. Moeller was spotty at times and missed a couple open receivers over the middle, but also threw several incredible balls downfield and their scheme was completely different this week with much more downfield passing. There simply isnt any way for a DC to prepare for everything they do.

Once again, fatigue and mistakes were Berlin's undoing with a punt snap overhead that resulted in a TD and a INT in the 2nd half, it let Tangy move ahead for good in a back and forth game (game ended with Berlin on the 1 yd line but got stuffed 1st play and had no timeouts left).

Tangy has some extremely physical kids on defense, they hit hard, and their coverage would be fine against 90% of opponent passing attacks they will see. Offense is extremely run happy, and they are not effective throwing at all, despite tons of skill player talent. Really reminiscent of some of the classic Chip Kelly Oregon run-based offenses.

Orange stomping Davidson put that Tangy's 7-3 win last week in an even better light.

Tangy grudge match again next week vs former DC Picetti and his new gig as YOTW coach, though at least the kids don't know each other this time. Berlin is gonna throw for 400 yards again on Darby, they definitely don't have the skill kids to cover Berlin's scheme. Really a shame we aren't playing a full 10 games this year, Moeller/Lawrence has a legit shot at setting several passing/receiving records, they've already played the 2 best teams on their schedule.

Oh BTW, Berlin won JV 40-0 today. Solis has a bare cupboard, and no amt of coaching is gonna help, their program as been decimated by the school split and this is their last good team. I would not be surprised at all to see him go somewhere else after this year.

Last edited: