Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

Harrycrane

that school up north, every game that Michigan has played without their injured player( forgot his name) the so called experts have said that Michigan will lose because the boy isn't playing, they have survived....
Michigan was never a one man team { say like Kansas back in the day with Danny Manning } a few others who can pick up the slack. When playing their best they can play with anyone, Baylor and Gonzaga are better than they are but UM can hang if playing at their highest level.
USC defensively is outstanding, Zaga will not have the amount of great looks and easier buckets in that game.

Harrycrane

Best game of the night was the Baylor -UCONN Women's game, unfortunate ending with the refs missing that obvious foul on the last Baylor shot . Let em play is something that you want sometimes in the last few possessions. This play was a case of where the ball didn't reach the basket because the player was clearly hit on the arm when she shot . Automatic call. It wasn't made .Marred an otherwise great game.

Oregon State came back from a huge deficit to knot the game late before fading a bit but still got there for us covering the 7.5 getting us to 21-15 with a + 6.2 unit profit margin . Baylor narrowly covered vs Arkansas in a game I passed on liking Baylor but the 7.5-6 was a bit steep .

Tonight Michigan will try to hold up the Big-10's reputation as they play a UCLA team that has won 4 games and is riding a 5-3 ATS as and underdog winning 4 outright. Michigan is a gaudy 19-8 overall vs the spread and played about as impressive a game as any performance in the tourney dismantling a quality Florida State team.

Michigan is 8-1 on Neutral courts this year and has been a great team playing in the state of Indiana overall . Michigan will be tougher to defend that Bama with the sets they run , and their balance . Defense is ramping up as well . Laying 6.5 is a bit steep, but I see a class difference here . Michigan will hit their free throws unlike Bama, and be a better version of themselves. Oregon State , USC and tonight UCLA have hit their ceilings . Michigan should get the cover here in an interesting match-up . Michigan State controlled things for a majority of the UCLA game but foundered and kind of choked the game away .Michigan is a step in class from MSU and they take care of business here against a gritty UCLA club. 73 - 64 or like ?

Gonzaga - USC was a great value to me at 155 going UNDER , 152.5 - 153 now , . Zags defense is trending up , USC is a long athletic team that can make it a bit harder for Gonzaga to score . USC hit everything they threw up vs Oregon, this won[t be the case tonight. Trojans peaked vs Oregon hitting 57 percent form the field overall and a ridiculous 10-17 from behind the arc. 10-12 from the line as well. Clock strikes midnight here.

Harrycrane

Wow , Michigan just missed another bunny a second ago . They have been given 285 chances to score to tie it or win it and have failed to do so . They are filing a suit that there was an imaginary lid on the basket they were shooting at. The Russians in 1972 didn't get as many chances as Michigan did at the end of that travesty. { You tube that sucker, if you aren't familiar with it , saw a great short feature on that game.}

Liked the UNDER in both games but only played and hit the total in Gonzaga game . USC defense wasn't as advertised or seen in previous games as the Zags put up 50 in the first half , or more than Michigan did in 40 minutes{ Wolves just missed anohter tip in a few seconds ago} .

Obviously I was rooting for OT in this one at the end because winning by one wasn't going to help . Gonzaga methodically put away USC and kept a nice 15-20 point margin and cruised to the victory. Total looked pretty safe as USC was having trouble scoring and getting back in it. Michigan who looked smooth efficient and a exactly like a final four club in their previous two games, looked nothing like that last night. They were choppy , a bit shaky , even gangly from the start They started the game playing lock down defense and it was pretty apparent early on that the Bruins were going to have a really rough time scoring a lot of points.

The problem was Michigan was fumbling around , stepping on end lines, driving to the basket and getting caught going PAST the basket , shooting air balls , and generally looking as smooth as sandpaper . If basketball was looking for a fingernails to the chalk board equivalent ? I would submit this game . If you told anyone that UCLA would score 51 points how many would say , hmmm did they win ? Hats off to Mick Cronin and the grittiness of the team . One dude scores over half the points, you make the other team look as though it's their first pre-season scrimmage , dirty the game up and voila , you win yet again . Michigan has NO ONE step up and just say screw this , I am going to score here if no one else can . Never happened .

Anyway that's over and the season is almost done and it's about time as the last year has bene a LONG one in many respects obviously . Sports is just one of those respects . Ready to be done with COVID era of sports, but it seems we probably have a few more months of it without real crowds .
Variants , cases still up at about 60,000 a day, and fatigue in terms of keeping somewhat vigilant as things are more relaxed , open and work places open up more, probably equals more time of 'Not normal " conditions. By fall lets hope that more immunity takes hold and more people get the vaccines { I wish more would agree to get vaccinated} and as football starts and baseball makes it's way towards the play-offs, universal 'Normalcy " takes hold around the country in all states as are able to have full crowds.

22-16 with a PM of + 6.1 heading to the final four is OK . Not the most exciting final four of all time but certainly one that seems like it will go as expected in terms of who the top two teams are. Michigan who it seemed would make the Big-10 NCAA tourney post mortem more bearable , lays a stink bomb and the Big -10 autopsy will be as ugly as we feared . Can't score at least 60 against that team ? Said the same thing about Ohio State not being able to easily score at least 80 and get a comfortable win vs. Oral Roberts in regulation .

Harrycrane

Some coaches like to build programs from scratch.. Or like to revive a dormant program. One that has faded , is n need of new management. The landscape changes at some point no matter where and at what level you coach. How do you adapt , shift course, learn lessons that help you navigate the current conditions .

Roy Williams retired this week . The UNC coach who also coached at fellow blue blood Kansas { was an assistant to the great Dean Smith at UNC before leaving for Lawrence } is what is considered 'Old School" he is 70 going on 75 isn't he ? Physical problems , looks more grandfatherly than some who have just reached their seventh decade on earth . The revolving Turnstyle and transfer portal era of college sports has snuck up on us fairly quickly . One and done's were preceded by the best or earliest developers just being able to go Pro . The one year thing is a joke to me . This along with the transient nature of CBB makes it difficult to get to know the players and see them develop in a program.

High prized recruits get to schools and if it doesn't immediately work out , they look to bail. Hurt feelings , not enough playing time and ego bruises are like oxygen to the transfer' Portal " as it were. " I've entered the transfer portal" is a common phrase now. Respect my decision or some other line that often includes how great the place they were leaving was.{ SMH} This has trickled down to the HS level. I have personally seen some local kids up and leave a HS or not even go to the HS in the district they grew up in because they weren't getting or didn't foresee enough playing time as a FRESHMAN !!! Yes you read that right . You don't have to have an 'Old school " mentality to see the absurdity in this type of thinking .

Parents ego's being more wrapped up in their kids activities than ever before doesn't help matters of course. Coached hard as a Frosh or even a Soph for some kids , not getting enough touches or 'respect" , got yelled at for not working hard , not getting the Playing time you think you 'deserve" ? 'We are out of here" , We will show them ". Listening to criticism and learning , working hard on your weaknesses , taking the hard coaching and being honest with yourself is HARD , so why not just up and LEAVE ? That's easier than looking in the mirror isn't it? Some AAU teammate and their parents tell you how great it is somewhere else and there is no brown patches on the lawn and voila , YOU LEAVE. often from really good places. I am not talking about kids leaving from a lower division school or a less than good program that has issues adn going to a more stable place.

Roy Williams in his first 15 seasons at UNC had a total of FOUR kids leave the program and transfer . Those kids were all from California so possibly homesickness or a desire to be or have to be closer to home influenced them a bit . That is a strong culture . Yes the transfer thing is more prevalent now , but Williams was great at getting kids to realize that success isn't always linear , there are up's and downs , bumps and growth to navigate . Sometimes it's painful . Uncomfortable . Hard . You tell your kids knowing from experience that these periods in your life is where the 'Good stuff " happens . What's the good stuff? Overcoming. Working through the problems and issues , not giving up , falling a few times may be but getting up , dusting yourself off and carrying on . Learning about yourself . Following through on things . You gain the type of confidence in yourself that can last a lifetime .

Williams got kids to believe that being part of something bigger than yourself, working on yourself, being part of the team , playing a role and developing within the program will be beneficial in the end. Roles change over your career as many of us know . You can be a role player one year , play a little defense , then as you grow and get stronger you develop into a lead back on offense. In hoops the big man with work to do fundamentally { Foot work , upper strength et al} plays a few minutes here and there the first year, , roles expands a bit the next year. Two full years working with good coaches and applying yourself and working your butt off = being a starter as a Junior and a key contributor . Many coaches will tell you that this type of evolution in their kids development and process is something they enjoy even more than coaching the 'Great " players or really talented guys who are good enough to be more a star from the start .

Sometimes the reason for a transfer is more a 'joining forces" to be part of something that you think will be great. Up and leave the kids you have played with for years sometimes , grew up with , to chase something else . Not to lead but to JOIN . It's about you, not the program you left . You are different , you need to go. I am not talking about families that move to a new community that they feel will be better for their kids and family . Moving when the kids are younger as the we have become a more transient society. Job transfers , more mobility will always see family's come and go . Places like Dublin, Hilliard , Powell , UA , to name just a few will always be desirable places to relocate . Success is something most want to be a part of . Nothing wrong with this . But the giving up , moving along , seeking something that you perceive as better at the first hint of discomfort is what I am talking about here.

The NBA with LeBron a decade ago brought us to the 'join " forces era . I didn't see much wrong with LeBron leaving as the Cavs just weren't getting enough other players to complement LeBron's greatness . He wasn't the leader at that time that he has evolved into , but he grew , evolved and became a champion AND a LEADER . I scoffed at the old NBA guys who were kind of saying that they wouldn't have doe what LeBron did . Mind you most of if not all of these naysayers were on teams that not only had other All Stars on them, but other Hall of Famers !! They didn't have to join any other force .

Other legendary college coaches are getting up their in age . Coach K at Duke is 74 , Boeheim is 76 . WV's Huggins is an old grizzled 67 . Florida State's Leonard Hamilton is 72. Rick Pitino who is less relevant now { Iona} while forever boyish is nearing 70 . These guys have bene through different era's . Have mostly succeeded . But the waters have become a little choppier now for some of them . They can't develop the kids over time the same way, with all these flashy one and done or at most two and adios level players providing too strong a temptation . John Calipari's AAU one and done culture has not been sustainable. Duke's embrace of it has hit a few snags and had a waning effect on it's success.

Player entering as 18 year old boys and leaving as 22 year old men , learning life lessons , evolving personally and athletically is a quaint idea at the top schools . Roy Williams was from the old school , he lived it for as long as he could . Did it better than most . He is leaving at the right time . The North Carolina 'brand " is so strong . The former players are as loyal and tied to the program long after they leave as any program in the country . They always go back .give back . Are proud of the culture that embraced the process . Making sacrifices , playing a role and growing into another one over time . Trust , sticking with the process ,and wanting to be part of something bigger than yourself and your talent has been a reality at North Carolina for a long time. Roy Williams has tried as hard as he could to maintain this ideal in Chapel Hill . Job well done Roy .

WJ-OSU-STEELERS

Colin Cowherd has said that all college coaches have egos but college basketball coaches are the worse and have a almost god-like ego. Didn’t Williams have a kid in the stands kicked out for yelling that a NC player was going to miss a free throw? Yes today players expect to play immediately and transfers are way up compared to years past. But players of yesterday didn’t have the opportunity to transfer as easily as today’s kids do. The B10 use to have a rule that if you transferred within the conference you had to sit two years and pay your way thru school. Coaches are way more willing to accept transfers now. Also, some kids transfer because the coach is basically giving them the boot because the kid isn’t as good as what he thought and he wants to free up the scholarship

Harrycrane

I think Cowherd { I have conversed with Cowherd since the early ESPN days} point has always been that the College hoops coaches who are at the top of the profession are given a lot of power and are almost like tenured professors . BIG men in often small locales . They can get a full of themselves and some control the local smaller media and get upset and even bully some people when questioned too harshly. Most college hoops coaches don't have this level of power and get fired at some point like the rest of them . Some of the top football coaches have prodigious ego's as well . [Cowherd has mellowed a bit, but his ego is what you would call pretty " healthy" lol}

The men I mentioned of that certain age have that power . Most go decades with a lot of power. May be too much sometimes. I don't know about{ Even coach K can be a jerk sometimes } that story you mention about Williams and I don't care really . ALL coaches who work for decades are going to have a boorish moment or two , at the VERY LEAST , many get in bigger trouble . He is not perfect by any means, none of us are . The transfer culture has obviously changed which was a main point , I know the rules have changed as well , especially recently with COVID . All kinds of different transfer scenario's that I am we aware of . Williams maintained a pretty special culture at NC the best he could. He had a great career which included his time at Kansas .

Times change and coaches either adapt adjust or they don't . Williams had a great run , he cared about the NC family and culture a great deal and navigated the changes the best he could . He is a hall of fame coach .

bigkat

Colin Cowherd has said that all college coaches have egos but college basketball coaches are the worse and have a almost god-like ego. Didn’t Williams have a kid in the stands kicked out for yelling that a NC player was going to miss a free throw? Yes today players expect to play immediately and transfers are way up compared to years past. But players of yesterday didn’t have the opportunity to transfer as easily as today’s kids do. The B10 use to have a rule that if you transferred within the conference you had to sit two years and pay your way thru school. Coaches are way more willing to accept transfers now. Also, some kids transfer because the coach is basically giving them the boot because the kid isn’t as good as what he thought and he wants to free up the scholarship
it is ruining College basketball, take a look at UC , they had 6 players leave their team 2 weeks ago.... now they are talking about College football allowing a football player transfer 1 time during their time in college and play immediately.....

WJ-OSU-STEELERS

Harry stating someone having a ego that’s “Healthy” - that made me laugh.

What’s ruining college bball isn’t the transfers, the NCAA and major colleges have no one to blame but themselves. Only the IOC and FIFA are more corrupt and poorly run organizations than the NCAA. Whatever happen to Arizona & Kansas regarding assistant coaches paying athletes or North Carolina’s bogus degree/major they were allowing athletes to take? If it was San Jose St, southwest Missouri St & NC Charlotte I bet the NCAA would have handed down their punishment.

There is $$$ to be made in both college football and basketball, things will eventually work their way out. The NCAA & major colleges have a labor problem - the players want the ability to move freely from one job to another without having to sit a year and they are wanting more pay - they want the ability to control their likeness (NIL) as they see fit.

Harrycrane

Players I mean “ Student “. Athletes are closer than ever to getting paid something . Coaches and others have been caS$hing in for quite some time. Making very. “. Healthy “. Salary’s .bonuses and endorsements

Harrycrane

Not the best Final four match-ups but Houston - Baylor is a kind of interesting . Old Southwest conference foes squaring off . That conference has been gone for a quarter century at this point { Gulp} . saw a interesting 30 for 30 on the Phi Slamma Jamma old Houston era. Incredible array of talent on college teams back then . Never won a title , { Lost to NC State in 83, And a great Georgetown team in 84} but were as entertaining as anyone in CBB history . The Louisville - Houston Semi-final in 83 was an absolute warp speed dunk fest. You tube it.

A lot of shadiness in terms of recruits getting money cars etc. helped bring it down . Excess can do that . It was literally the wild West for the last two decades of it's existence. A lot of great reading about this over the years , but a 1974 article in Texas Monthly was prescient in it's story title. 'The decline and fall of the SWC". Greed was not indeed 'Good " here. Gekko the great's mantra hit a snag.

We were speaking of the new rampant transfer era yesterday, and this year's final four rosters underscores this pretty well ., there are 8 starters in today's games that are transfers. Houston and UCLA's top scorers are transfers. From 2006 - 2015 there were a TOTAL of 5 players that started in final four games who were transfers. The rules changing in reference to transferring is a result of the massive money that the adults are getting from the business of college sports , so a few bones must be tossed towards the athletes giving them more flexibility.

Since 2016 the numbers have only gone up more. Coaches say that 20-30 years ago, the sentiment towards kids wanting to transfer was that there must be something wrong with them . Now most concede that without getting a well needed one every so often, they will fall behind a bit. Times change . You either keep up , or you will inevitably lag behind eventually.

Baylor is a 5 point favorite over Houston . By all rights Houston should be watching this one from the 281. Rutgers freezing like snot in Nome , and getting caught trying so hard to run the clock out that the clock actually went backwards it seemed. [Think Joel Goodsen in Risky Business waiting for class to end lol movie still holds up by the way } Houston has been living right lately. They have had to play the following seeds to get to the National Semifinals. 15 , 10, 11, and 12 . Not exactly UCLA's path lol, Baylor is a better version of Houston . They possess some of the same qualities but are just better, More efficient , more polished. Good match-up of top defense vs a top offense. Baylor averaging 83 a game. Houston allowing 56 a game in the tourney [ offenses suspect though as a group} . Baylor has great three point shooting defense , which is one of the things that will be key . If Houston doesn't continue to nail three pointers at a higher rate? They have little chance here. Grimes going off a bit is a must. Baylor has more balanced scoring . No one gets after it on the offensive glass like Houston does. But Baylor is also pretty athletic and does a good job . Baylor does not turn the ball over and is hitting the three pointer at a nice rate. They don't waste possessions . Houston has feasted on lost possessions . Baylor has being taking great care of the basketball .

Baylor- Gonzaga was the final many including here predicted would happen . They ARE the two best teams this year. Houston is a poor man's Baylor . The 5 point head start they are getting is fair to me . Good close game for a while may be , but over 40 , the efficiency , the overall depth of talent and flat out better scoring depth with getting more good looks = a 8- 12 point win at least 55-60 percent of the time IMO which is why I like Baylor here. Tease it with Gonzaga { getting it from 14 to 9-5 } having Baylor only needing a win may be ? Still looking at that game .

The Dock

Harry stating someone having a ego that’s “Healthy” - that made me laugh.

What’s ruining college bball isn’t the transfers, the NCAA and major colleges have no one to blame but themselves. Only the IOC and FIFA are more corrupt and poorly run organizations than the NCAA. Whatever happen to Arizona & Kansas regarding assistant coaches paying athletes or North Carolina’s bogus degree/major they were allowing athletes to take? If it was San Jose St, southwest Missouri St & NC Charlotte I bet the NCAA would have handed down their punishment.

There is $$$ to be made in both college football and basketball, things will eventually work their way out. The NCAA & major colleges have a labor problem - the players want the ability to move freely from one job to another without having to sit a year and they are wanting more pay - they want the ability to control their likeness (NIL) as they see fit.
“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, that they’re going to give Cleveland State another year of probation. “ - Jerry Tarkanian

Harrycrane

“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, that they’re going to give Cleveland State another year of probation. “ - Jerry Tarkanian
Cleveland State and coach Kevin Mackey beating Bog Knight and Indiana back in the day. McFadden {Ken} was the big man on that campus? Mouse? This is what I think about when CSU is mentioned in reference to hoops. Mackey ended up burning out , drugging , drinking and getting fired . Coached at BC as an assistant { a fan of BC } and was a very good HS basketball coach in Boston before that . That early IU exit was the year after the 'Season on the brink " year. Good times in CBB.

The Dock

Cleveland State and coach Kevin Mackey beating Bog Knight and Indiana back in the day. McFadden {Ken} was the big man on that campus? Mouse? This is what I think about when CSU is mentioned in reference to hoops. Mackey ended up burning out , drugging , drinking and getting fired . Coached at BC as an assistant { a fan of BC } and was a very good HS basketball coach in Boston before that . That early IU exit was the year after the 'Season on the brink " year. Good times in CBB.
One of the best profiles I got to read of sports figures was this narrative of Kevin Mackey published by GQ in 1992: https://thestacks.deadspin.com/the-fall-of-kevin-mackey-march-madnesss-junkie-cinder-1553579005

Harrycrane

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky it will probably slap another two years probation on Cleveland State.’’ Tarkanian uttered the famous quip after Kentucky and coach Eddie Sutton found themselves in the NCAA crosshairs. But the line has stood the test of time, emblematic of not only Tark’s battles with the organization but also of the long-held belief that the NCAA practices selective enforcement"

Where is 'Richie the Fixer" these days? Lloyd l'Sweet Pea" Daniels?

Harrycrane

Tuning into a sporting event is a unique entertainment experience in a few ways. I don't watch current sitcoms , but when you do tune in , you get the set up of the show. You learn it after a few episodes and you kind of know what is going to happen . Not only because they give you that basic info before you watch , but after a while the plotlines are somewhat predictable . I like documentary's , while they provide tidbits and back stories that you didn't know previously , you often know something about the subject and know how it will " turn out" so to speak. Movies? Word of mouth , trailers, reviews, etc. have you clued in pretty well in terms of knowing what to expect . You don't say to anyone you know 'don't tell me what happens " when you prepare to watch a live sporting event like you do a movie right? With movies you do request that courtesy . Theater, plays , ditto.

With a live sporting event , you simply don't know what will happen. You could very well see something that you never saw before . Something truly spectacular . Something that will make the hairs on your arm stand at attention at the thought of it years later . " Do you believe in miracles doesn't give you chills ? almost 40 years later?? You're lying if you say it doesn't . You can also see somewhat boring run of the mill events with little to no drama. See Houston - Baylor . Now knowing that the game is pretty much over and you will win your play isn't nothing, but this game was over pretty early. The match-up was bad for one team and they weren't going to dig out of the hole.

Last night's second semifinal was a game where there was a 14 point spread, with the consensus number one team playing an 11 seed that slipped into the tourney on a probationary condition . They had to win a game before the REAL tourney commenced . They were told that we kind of like you and kind of want you here, but we need one more reference, or can you come in and give us one more reading before we give you the part ? They were failing that last audition for most of the scene before pulling it out by the invisible skin on their teeth. They win a couple more , one against a JV team { Abilene } then they win a game when their opponent played as bad as it possibly could have in a game so ugly that the tape of it has been burned and erased from the record .

Two ugly wins vs Big-10 teams , one good one meh , a JV team , a good win vs. BYU who is only OK most days . Their next assignment ? One of the best offensive teams we have seen in a while . A wallet sized team photo is one of the images next to the word " efficient " in the dictionary . a Two touchdown underdog . We all have some expectation of events we are about to watch , and the expectation was pretty much , how much will Gonzaga win by ? Yesterday morning most thought that the first game was more apt to produce a little drama . Some intrigue. Didn't happen . You thought after that very comfortable box to wire win that there wasn't going to be any drama on this Semifinal Saturday and that Monday's final was going to be played between the two best teams in the country . It will be. But the bigger part of the story will almost assuredly be the epic Semifinal Nightcap played last night.

The outpouring of emotion from viewers was something I haven't seen in quite some time .That was also the best game many have seen in quite some time. Not just the razor closeness of the game, or the game going into overtime which automatically denotes a battle took place , but the LEVEL of play was almost surreal . Sports can sometimes exceed expectations in a way that other entertainment options can't. You simply never really know when may see something great. How great?

The LOSING team shot 58 percent from the field and a gaudy 47percent from behind the arc. They outrebounded their opponent by 6 . They had 21 assists. They only turned the ball over 9 times . yes NIIIIIINNNNNEEEE times . This was a team that needed one last audition before they let them in theater . This was a 170 pound Super Middle weight , small Light Heavyweight tweener bulking up to take on a a great 205 pound small heavyweight . You didn't expect that punches would be traded on equal footing . You figured there would be a lot of holding , may be the smaller man running and trying to hide a bit . Not even a thought actually . They came out sticking and moving , engaging , and landing blows . Took an early lead winning a couple early rounds letting their bigger more heralded opponent that they were not even remotely afraid. Game on . Nearing the middle of the fight , the bigger man taking note of the challengers gameness asserted itself a bit and pulled the fight pretty much even by the midway point .

The underdog couldn't have done any better than they did and yet they still weren't in control . They peppered their larger opponent with multiple blows, but hadn't really damaged them . That can be demoralizing , and you couldn't help but think that the favorite was put on notice and would wear down the game challenger and grind out somewhat comfortable win. The underdog surely couldn't sustain this level of performance right?

WRONG. They stood toe to toe , they jabbed and moved, they answered every challenge and almost pulled this sucker out . It took their opponent shooting 59 percent from the field .taking good care of the ball { 10 TO's } compiling 25 assists , getting 8 steals , taking a cold blooded charge at the end { Putting that on the officials at this level takes brass ones} and ultimately banking in a 35 footer while on the run with the Red light on around the basket and the horn sounding as it banked in off of the backboard. Lucky ? Perhaps. Would you scoff if this was part of a movie script? Yep . But that's the point . There was no script . This slice of athletic event greatness was a spontaneous gift from the sports gods .
Something that seemed almost deserved during these times ? I don't know about that , but what I do know is this game and a few of the highlights will be shown , remembered and spoken of for a long time . Part of any March madness promotional video or preview as an example of what is possible if you tune in .

Juzang was a MAN , a young guy that has made himself a lot of money I believe during these proceedings .The Bruins star was 12-18 from the field scoring 29 points . Doing exactly what was needed in order to pull off an upset. HIs supporting cast of Riley , Jaquez and Campbell averaged 16 amongst them PERFECT . Almost . Gonzaga's ' BIG " man on campus Drew Timme led the efficient scoring parade with 25. Two sure high NBA draft selections Suggs and Kispert got their 16 and 15 respectively , yet the real X-Factor may have been the Frenchman Ayayi's marksman like 9-12 shooting performance good for 22 .

Did follow through with that rare CBB teaser play { for me } and lost it obviously as the Zags didn't win by at least 10 , but did add the OVER 147.5 in this game thinking the margin growing a bit would lend itself to a faster pace late and more points settling into the high 150's . Coupled with the solid Baylor win , 2-1 day and 24-17 overall in the tourney good for a + 7.3 profit margin .

I made the line for the championship game at Gonzaga - 5 , it's 4.5 this morning . This game has virtually no chance of equaling last nights but it should be a very good battle between the two best teams all year .

Last edited:

bigkat

Tuning into a sporting event is a unique entertainment experience in a few ways. I don't watch current sitcoms , but when you do tune in , you get the set up of the show. You learn it after a few episodes and you kind of know what is going to happen . Not only because they give you that basic info before you watch , but after a while the plotlines are somewhat predictable . I like documentary's , while they provide tidbits and back stories that you didn't know previously , you often know something about the subject and know how it will " turn out" so to speak. Movies? Word of mouth , trailers, reviews, etc. have you clued in pretty well in terms of knowing what to expect . You don't say to anyone you know 'don't tell me what happens " when you prepare to watch a live sporting event like you do a movie right? With movies you do request that courtesy . Theater, plays , ditto.

With a live sporting event , you simply don't know what will happen. You could very well see something that you never saw before . Something truly spectacular . Something that will make the hairs on your arm stand at attention at the thought of it years later . " Do you believe in miracles doesn't give you chills ? almost 40 years later?? You're lying if you say it doesn't . You can also see somewhat boring run of the mill events with little to no drama. See Houston - Baylor . Now knowing that the game is pretty much over and you will win your play isn't nothing, but this game was over pretty early. The match-up was bad for one team and they weren't going to dig out of the hole.

Last night's second semifinal was a game where there was a 14 point spread, with the consensus number one team playing an 11 seed that slipped into the tourney on a probationary condition . They had to win a game before the REAL tourney commenced . They were told that we kind of like you and kind of want you here, but we need one more reference, or can you come in and give us one more reading before we give you the part ? They were failing that last audition for most of the scene before pulling it out by the invisible skin on their teeth. They win a couple more , one against a JV team { Abilene } then they win a game when their opponent played as bad as it possibly could have in a game so ugly that the tape of it has been burned and erased from the record .

Two ugly wins vs Big-10 teams , one good one meh , a JV team , a good win vs. BYU who is only OK most days . Their next assignment ? One of the best offensive teams we have seen in a while . A wallet sized team photo is one of the images next to the word " efficient " in the dictionary . a Two touchdown underdog . We all have some expectation of events we are about to watch , and the expectation was pretty much , how much will Gonzaga win by ? Yesterday morning most thought that the first game was more apt to produce a little drama . Some intrigue. Didn't happen . You thought after that very comfortable box to wire win that there wasn't going to be any drama on this Semifinal Saturday and that Monday's final was going to be played between the two best teams in the country . It will be. But the bigger part of the story will almost assuredly be the epic Semifinal Nightcap played last night.

The outpouring of emotion from viewers was something I haven't seen in quite some time .That was also the best game many have seen in quite some time. Not just the razor closeness of the game, or the game going into overtime which automatically denotes a battle took place , but the LEVEL of play was almost surreal . Sports can sometimes exceed expectations in a way that other entertainment options can't. You simply never really know when may see something great. How great?

The LOSING team shot 58 percent from the field and a gaudy 47percent from behind the arc. They outrebounded their opponent by 6 . They had 21 assists. They only turned the ball over 9 times . yes NIIIIIINNNNNEEEE times . This was a team that needed one last audition before they let them in theater . This was a 170 pound Super Middle weight , small Light Heavyweight tweener bulking up to take on a a great 205 pound small heavyweight . You didn't expect that punches would be traded on equal footing . You figured there would be a lot of holding , may be the smaller man running and trying to hide a bit . Not even a thought actually . They came out sticking and moving , engaging , and landing blows . Took an early lead winning a couple early rounds letting their bigger more heralded opponent that they were not even remotely afraid. Game on . Nearing the middle of the fight , the bigger man taking note of the challengers gameness asserted itself a bit and pulled the fight pretty much even by the midway point .

The underdog couldn't have done any better than they did and yet they still weren't in control . They peppered their larger opponent with multiple blows, but hadn't really damaged them . That can be demoralizing , and you couldn't help but think that the favorite was put on notice and would wear down the game challenger and grind out somewhat comfortable win. The underdog surely couldn't sustain this level of performance right?

WRONG. They stood toe to toe , they jabbed and moved, they answered every challenge and almost pulled this sucker out . It took their opponent shooting 59 percent from the field .taking good care of the ball { 10 TO's } compiling 25 assists , getting 8 steals , taking a cold blooded charge at the end { Putting that on the officials at this level takes brass ones} and ultimately banking in a 35 footer while on the run with the Red light on around the basket and the horn sounding as it banked in off of the backboard. Lucky ? Perhaps. Would you scoff if this was part of a movie script? Yep . But that's the point . There was no script . This slice of athletic event greatness was a spontaneous gift from the sports gods .
Something that seemed almost deserved during these times ? I don't know about that , but what I do know is this game and a few of the highlights will be shown , remembered and spoken of for a long time . Part of any March madness promotional video or preview as an example of what is possible if you tune in .

Juzang was a MAN , a young guy that has made himself a lot of money I believe during these proceedings .The Bruins star was 12-18 from the field scoring 29 points . Doing exactly what was needed in order to pull off an upset. HIs supporting cast of Riley , Jaquez and Campbell averaged 16 amongst them PERFECT . Almost . Gonzaga's ' BIG " man on campus Drew Timme led the efficient scoring parade with 25. Two sure high NBA draft selections Suggs and Kispert got their 16 and 15 respectively , yet the real X-Factor may have been the Frenchman Ayayi's marksman like 9-12 shooting performance good for 22 .

Did follow through with that rare CBB teaser play { for me } and lost it obviously as the Zags didn't win by at least 10 , but did add the OVER 147.5 in this game thinking the margin growing a bit would lend itself to a faster pace late and more points settling into the high 150's . Coupled with the solid Baylor win , 2-1 day and 24-17 overall in the tourney good for a + 7.3 profit margin .

I made the line for the championship game at Gonzaga - 5 , it's 4.5 this morning . This game has virtually no chance of equaling last nights but it should be a very good battle between the two best teams all year .
that game between Ucla-and the ZAGS.... was about as good as it gets........ and just think the University of Cincinnati wanted to give one of those coaches coaching in that game .... a pay cut....... Karma's a bitch

Tiger Alum

that game between Ucla-and the ZAGS.... was about as good as it gets........ and just think the University of Cincinnati wanted to give one of those coaches coaching in that game .... a pay cut....... Karma's a bitch
Great game ! However the UCLA coach was kind of gifted Juzang from Kentucky. We will see if he can keep up the momentum.

Harrycrane

There is NO question that they don’t sniff the final four without him . Transfers are going to be increasingly important to programs going forward without the same restrictions. Was combing through some of the classic final four games over the years and it can be argued. That it belongs in the top 10 but definitely and safely in the top 15 ?

Harrycrane

Very slow period of the Football calendar as it's strength speed , agility, and skills " WORK " for some and playing other sports for others while trying to fit in the other stuff when they can. So we end the college hoops season which was a very successful one considering the obstacles and the COVID. Unfortunately a lot of life has revolved around the COVID . What a year . Looks like there is light at the end of the Twilight Zone /COVID tunnel with over 3 million a day getting vaccinated .

Baseball starting with a smattering of fans mostly is also a welcome sight. Tonight's game looks on paper more like a game that would turn out like Saturday's UCLA- Zaga game did . Like the game to go over 159.5 points as both teams get near and or over 80 . The teams combined games OVER record is 33-24 { just under 60 percent} is a decent technical trend . But looking a bit deeper you find that in 11 games that Baylor played in with posted totals over 148 points, the explosive three pointing shooting Bears{ 41 percent as a team , best in the country } have averaged 87 points in those games. The Zags aren't a great defensive team and were torched a bit by UCLA from three.

Gonzaga has hit over 80 points in all of their games except three. Gonzaga's last 6 games vs Big-12 Opponents have ALL gone over the total. Baylor is playing their first game as an underdog this year . They are 19-10 overall ATS, and the Zags are amore modest 14-2-2 . Zaga are a rare single digit favorite and they have only won two game by less than double digits.

UCLA took more out of Gonzaga than Houston took out of Baylor . That much is clear . All the lead changes , the back and forth[s} the extra intense 5 minutes . every possession mattering. Emotionally if not a bit physically that is a heavier toll that was taken out. Baylor is a great three point shooting team and the get a lot of turnovers . Timme may be the x factor, but don't want to lay points here . Baylor seems like the side, I generally look to make a case for playing UNDERS in many circumstances , I don't paly a ton of CBB totals but I have bene very effective playing them in the last 6 weeks and in this tourney overall. So I stick with that tonight.

Have some thoughts on programs and coaching and building something that I am going to share in the next day or so . Interesting large rebuild on Coffman road and a big challenge for a guy who relishes them . Coaching changes happening all over that corner of Union and Franklin country , Muirfield , Brand Road , to Coffman road down Hyland Croy towards Plain City { Yutzy's market stop this week , over due for Der Dutchman too?} Good luck to Jackie Alder in their coaching search with some interesting coaching names{ family's } and other dynamics hinging on the hire .

Harrycrane

Final was indeed anti climatic , as Baylor was playing on the maximum speed setting and Gonzaga's 'speed " was more running on the beach with boots on. I said that the emotional and physical toll of the UCLA game would likely come into play , but that was understated obviously. Baylor's dominance was so apparent that the game appeared decided after ab out 6 minutes. Certain physical advantages , and match-up issues can come into immediate focus sometimes. This was one of those times .

Kind of a bad beat on the total which was the main play ,but took the 4.5 with Baylor as well mitigating that loss a bit ending the tourney at 25-18 with a profit margin of 7 units and small change. Transfers are going to be a huge dynamic going forward in college basketball . 4 of the top 6 scorers for Baylor were transfers. Immediate eligibility is going to be a huge deal going forward. Only being able to do it once is fair.

Spring season fully underway and that also means football conditioning is continuing as well and new coach Geron Stokes is the man in charge of the proceedings . His energy and enthusiasm is readily apparent and I think the next 4 months as we get into camp will produce really good gains and results.

While Coffman is in a definite rebuild mode after losing a lot of top end talent , the program itself isn't in a state of disrepair. Going back to my experiences in football and the program I grew up in , while in another era , the starting point of this coach kind of reminds me of our coach's start . He had a 10-year run and was coming from another state {back to the state he grew up in } where he took a couple programs to heights they hadn't been in a while .[No state titles } That program was not coming off of a 20-year run, but rather a 10-15 year period of inconsistent performance of some good, more fair, and some bad seasons . Sports culture in the town was strong as other programs were more state level successful . Football program just needed the right leader , so how did he do it?

Feeder programs were Pop Warner and then 2 Junior High's that went up to 9th grade. From the 5th grade at the lower level of Pop Warner we ran the same wing T that he would run at the HS level . He cultivated a great synergy with the youth level { He had young kids coming up } and we had some really good coaches who took it seriously and we learned a lot about the fundamentals .

He spoke at banquets, came to the elementary schools , and was a big presence in the community. Had the personality and charisma . HS program had a couple decent seasons with improvement in play before breaking out in year three . The level of the assistant coaches grew and the 'program " really started taking hold as something that really included the whole town. Starting at the younger levels , scouting opponents was something that was a big emphasis . The lower-level youth teams played on Saturday mornings or Friday night {Almost all HS games were on Saturday's } and the two-top level teams played on Sunday's. So the lower-level coaches would go scout upcoming opponents of the upper-level teams and I remember going along with our coaches on two occasions and the detail in which they scouted at that level of football was really impressive.

The HS head coach was wanting the lower-level coaches to LEARN how to do it. It was important that the aspiring coaches , many of who would continue on in coaching , and teaching . There were some older guys who were just going to coach at this level , BUT the younger guys were more ambitious in the coaching realm. From 7th grade on , there was not a time when I went into a game and felt even the least bit unprepared . We knew not only what we were supposed to do but had all the information on the
opponents as we needed. This type of preparation and attention to detail gives players the confidence they need to play faster and in a better position to succeed.

The 'Program " took off from the groundwork laid those first few years, and being a consistent state level program became a reality. Numbers rose, enthusiasm grew and expectations grew.

The keys to this improvement can really be summed up by doing a great job of controlling the things that you can control really well. The offensive and defensive schemes were going to be well learned when young so that by the time you got to the HS you were ready to go . The crux of the meetings that we had as we went up through the levels of the 'program" was basically, we will work a bit harder in the off-season { Captains and leaders organized a lot of this ,} we will go into camp in better shape { 6 day camp we traveled to and was as hard as anything I've ever done , more than just two a days , it was more like 3-4 a day's } than anyone, have the best camp as possible and be ahead of most everyone.

Practice better and harder, and be as ready to go week one as anyone in the state . Practice was going to be a bit harder than the games . You will get yelled at , be coached hard and expected to perform at a high level. Expected to do more than you think you are capable of . This is a real staple of coaching in my opinion. Getting more out players than they think is possible and are capable of doing.

The ultimate success or failure will NOT be a result of not putting in the time and being unprepared in any respect. Scouting opponents well , using and utilizing your personnel well , having your alignments and assignments down cold and then going out and playing as hard as you can for as many snaps as you can.

More complex dynamics were taught and expected as well. Team building , unselfishness, playing for each other etc. Stokes coaching style seems to embody these dynamics . Was watching a cool story on the OSU Rose Bowl winning team in the mid 90'sand thier progression of that class under coach Cooper . One of the things that caught my eye was the fans being upset that Cooper was quoted early in his tenure as saying that he was here to " Coach the Coaches " . I can see that being something that may have some fans thinking , 'what about coaching the players "?? I don't think Cooper meant that he wasn't going to coach the players .but he was trying to convey the importance of getting everyone on the same page , teaching
and emphasizing the same concepts and having the same values. And also, to ELEVATE the assistants so the whole operation will improve.

Guys like Nick Saban and Bill Belichick are very mindful that coaching the 'coaches " is an imperative aspect of running a program . I am aware that coach Stokes is always 'Coaching " the coaches trying to elevate them and work on thier weaknesses and accentuating their strengths. This is a very important aspect of being a HC is integral to developing and maintaining a consistently successful program.

Last edited:

Harrycrane

One of the things that really impressed me and stuck out when I was looking at Geron Stokes as a candidate was his feelings on leadership . His honesty about his not knowing a lot of things about leadership and how to run a program and his passion about learning .

We all were young and didn't know what we didn't know in whatever profession or job we had. We all could go back in time and cringe or turn red thinking about how we handled one thing or another because we simply didn't have the experience or know how yet.

Not many guys get or even take HC jobs at Stokes age { 24?} and of course the learning curve is steep for anyone. He dove into trying to learn and did whatever he could to learn the leadership " Thing" as it were. He is still diligently trying to learn by reading a lot of material , and he is always happy to share what he reads, and what he learns. He is relentless and is never satisfied. Bob Costas once said that perfection is not going to ever be attainable , but that the mindful pursuit of it will get you closer to it . If you don't have that pursuit? You will never get close to it.

Stokes realizes that everyone is not going to have his level of drive and never satisfied attitude , BUT he will provide the good leadership that will support and guide as many people as possible to come close to adopting that mindset as possible. Work towards it.

Anyone can just look at the record and be impressed. TWO state titles ? A runner-up ? 71-31 in eight years in the MAC ? Damn. But that's only part of the story and part of what is so impressive. It's the way the program is run , the values, the growth of the people in the program including the coaches . Winning with people is a concept that is successful , working towards the development of the people within the program in all respects , being mindful of and purposely working towards this growth and development and letting the winning and losing take care of itself.

Stokes still relentlessly pursues knowledge in trying to become a better leader, knowing he doesn't have it all figured out and probably never will. In fact, NEVER will. No one will know everything and have it all figured out. Great piece of advice I got a long time ago was, 'It's what you learn after "you have it all figured out and think you know everything " that counts. In other words, you never have it all figured out , and if you stop seeking more knowledge and adapting you will fall behind.

Reminds me of a story I read a while back that talked about a HS coach in California
who was interviewing for the HC job at a school where he once coached as the DC . I think the time gap was about 6 years? So he was pretty much closing down on landing the job and as is the norm towards the end of an interview they ask you if you have any questions about the job or the organization .{ Note to young job applicants , prepare some smart questions beforehand and do some solid research of the company for this moment} and he asked if the kids , community and parents had changed significantly while he was gone. He was told that not much had changed in any of those areas. He then asked if he was to take the job , he would want to immerse himself as a leader at the school in many respects and even requested to be able to dive fully in and teach an actual leadership class.

He was told that over the years that other candidates had also been really gung-ho in this vane , yet hadn't fully "followed through" with it. I heard that Stokes taught a leadership class at Minster. hMM ,May be Coach Stokes could make that teaching a leadership class request at Coffman? He's certainly qualified and I have a hint he would 'follow through ".

bigkat

One of the things that really impressed me and stuck out when I was looking at Geron Stokes as a candidate was his feelings on leadership . His honesty about his not knowing a lot of things about leadership and how to run a program and his passion about learning .

We all were young and didn't know what we didn't know in whatever profession or job we had. We all could go back in time and cringe or turn red thinking about how we handled one thing or another because we simply didn't have the experience or know how yet.

Not many guys get or even take HC jobs at Stokes age { 24?} and of course the learning curve is steep for anyone. He dove into trying to learn and did whatever he could to learn the leadership " Thing" as it were. He is still diligently trying to learn by reading a lot of material , and he is always happy to share what he reads, and what he learns. He is relentless and is never satisfied. Bob Costas once said that perfection is not going to ever be attainable , but that the mindful pursuit of it will get you closer to it . If you don't have that pursuit? You will never get close to it.

Stokes realizes that everyone is not going to have his level of drive and never satisfied attitude , BUT he will provide the good leadership that will support and guide as many people as possible to come close to adopting that mindset as possible. Work towards it.

Anyone can just look at the record and be impressed. TWO state titles ? A runner-up ? 71-31 in eight years in the MAC ? Damn. But that's only part of the story and part of what is so impressive. It's the way the program is run , the values, the growth of the people in the program including the coaches . Winning with people is a concept that is successful , working towards the development of the people within the program in all respects , being mindful of and purposely working towards this growth and development and letting the winning and losing take care of itself.

Stokes still relentlessly pursues knowledge in trying to become a better leader, knowing he doesn't have it all figured out and probably never will. In fact, NEVER will. No one will know everything and have it all figured out. Great piece of advice I got a long time ago was, 'It's what you learn after "you have it all figured out and think you know everything " that counts. In other words, you never have it all figured out , and if you stop seeking more knowledge and adapting you will fall behind.

Reminds me of a story I read a while back that talked about a HS coach in California
who was interviewing for the HC job at a school where he once coached as the DC . I think the time gap was about 6 years? So he was pretty much closing down on landing the job and as is the norm towards the end of an interview they ask you if you have any questions about the job or the organization .{ Note to young job applicants , prepare some smart questions beforehand and do some solid research of the company for this moment} and he asked if the kids , community and parents had changed significantly while he was gone. He was told that not much had changed in any of those areas. He then asked if he was to take the job , he would want to immerse himself as a leader at the school in many respects and even requested to be able to dive fully in and teach an actual leadership class.

He was told that over the years that other candidates had also been really gung-ho in this vane , yet hadn't fully "followed through" with it. I heard that Stokes taught a leadership class at Minster. hMM ,May be Coach Stokes could make that teaching a leadership class request at Coffman? He's certainly qualified and I have a hint he would 'follow through ".
Coffman would be crazy not to let him teach classes in Leadership...... Minster never had this type of class until he started teaching it, that class might be more important then the actual coaching of football on Friday nights

Orange&Black64

I actually took Coach Stokes leadership class the first year it was offered which would’ve been my senior year. That was the best class I ever took in school. It’s more than just reading books, we were able to reach out to actual leaders whether that be someone in the community, leaders of companies, athletes, that was a really fun experience talking to people who actually lead. I’m very grateful that I was not only able to play for Coach Stokes, I got the opportunity to learn from him in the classroom, and the opportunity to coach under him. That is a guy who deserves everything and The Rocks got a good one.

Harrycrane

I actually took Coach Stokes leadership class the first year it was offered which would’ve been my senior year. That was the best class I ever took in school. It’s more than just reading books, we were able to reach out to actual leaders whether that be someone in the community, leaders of companies, athletes, that was a really fun experience talking to people who actually lead. I’m very grateful that I was not only able to play for Coach Stokes, I got the opportunity to learn from him in the classroom, and the opportunity to coach under him. That is a guy who deserves everything and The Rocks got a good one.
Sounds like a great class and one that sticks with you for a long while after you take it . We all remember that one teacher or class which seemed to resonate with you , and made you think . Stokes is a younger coach and is obviously still in very good shape and works out . That energy and doing what the kids are doing is a big plus. That energy and motivation can really make that little extra difference to elevate players. Crager had a good strength and conditioning program going the last few years at Coffman . Stokes will keep that going and add his touches as he has definite ideas and a 'Program".

4 months from now I am sure the team will have made strides in their strength , agility and speed. One of the things that some fans and supporters can overlook is just how much preparation goes into the final production in football,. You show up that first Friday night and see some solid execution and think , Damn that was impressive. The amount of work that goes into that level of play and execution is something that most never think about .

Not just the sweaty weight rooms and running some sprints here and there, but real detailed workouts that are really rehearsal like in their importance. This can be team oriented and individually oriented. Back in the day , a group of us would get together in the late spring through summer heading to camp with the Quarterback{s} and run the same routes we would running our offense . This was all about simulating as well as we could where we were going to line up , how we were going to run our routes and get a good feel for catching the ball from the quarterback. This was before 7 on 7 was a thing of course. We would cover each other as well and send a rusher or two after a few seconds towards the QB ,

We were unsupervised { It was suggested , cough cough } but got the work in and it was fun . Running the hill we did and doing cleans and squats in sweaty places wasn't as much fun lol. Circa 2011-2012 , I walked into a local indoor sports facility { Indoor soccer , flag football and other activities were held here } and I was just bringing the kids to a birthday party { Areas for kids to run around with ball pits slides etc. } and I look up and see the Coffman QB and his receivers working on their routes . Getting reps . Doing the work . Not sure how often they did this but not question it appeared by the way they smoothly executed that it wasn't the first time.

Speed, agility , quickness drills, getting the quads stronger 'work" to become more explosive coming out of breaks to get some separation and getting together with the QB whenever possible is part of that 'Rehearsal " that makes that level of performance on Friday nights down the road possible . it doesn't just 'Happen " as if you can snap your fingers . DB's and receivers along with QB's get more reps than ever before . When we did that , not EVERYONE was doing it and things like that . Now it's common , but some programs and kids will do that extra to a higher degree in terms of work and detail.

Coffman players over the years have worked with trainers , [ Austen Rankin { Bo Jackson facility} a Coffman alum 2013, does outstanding work with receivers for instance} trying to improve their skills, speed, agility and ultimately their confidence. Many are fortunate to have the funds to do this. Nothing selfish about doing some work on your own , as it ultimately will help the team . This industry has exploded . Coffman girls basketball team who made huge strides over the last year even losing their D-1 star Russell to transfer { Reynoldsburg } improved their performance with some working with former Coffman Player Tyrel Jackson an excellent skills teacher who really helped some girls with the basic skills and shooting prowess. Lost at the buzzer in the state quarterfinals to Newark who lost in the state final in the last few seconds and just missed winning at the end .

QB's can make huge strides in terms of footwork weight transfer , release, follow through , arm motion and action and of course improving core strength to help with arm strength , adding a foot or so to their fastball so to speak . Rising Senior Maggs has potential to be very good this year. A ,lot of tools. Ideal size{ 6-3 210 } good arm, nice delivery , all he needs is reps. Some fundamental tightening up . There are some athletes in the building that could help at receiver . No question they could be assets, and working with a talent like Maggs should be something some should think about if they haven't committed to playing yet. Kids in the fold adding some things to their games is imperative to utilizing the talent that exists at QB.

bigkat

Sounds like a great class and one that sticks with you for a long while after you take it . We all remember that one teacher or class which seemed to resonate with you , and made you think . Stokes is a younger coach and is obviously still in very good shape and works out . That energy and doing what the kids are doing is a big plus. That energy and motivation can really make that little extra difference to elevate players. Crager had a good strength and conditioning program going the last few years at Coffman . Stokes will keep that going and add his touches as he has definite ideas and a 'Program".

4 months from now I am sure the team will have made strides in their strength , agility and speed. One of the things that some fans and supporters can overlook is just how much preparation goes into the final production in football,. You show up that first Friday night and see some solid execution and think , Damn that was impressive. The amount of work that goes into that level of play and execution is something that most never think about .

Not just the sweaty weight rooms and running some sprints here and there, but real detailed workouts that are really rehearsal like in their importance. This can be team oriented and individually oriented. Back in the day , a group of us would get together in the late spring through summer heading to camp with the Quarterback{s} and run the same routes we would running our offense . This was all about simulating as well as we could where we were going to line up , how we were going to run our routes and get a good feel for catching the ball from the quarterback. This was before 7 on 7 was a thing of course. We would cover each other as well and send a rusher or two after a few seconds towards the QB ,

We were unsupervised { It was suggested , cough cough } but got the work in and it was fun . Running the hill we did and doing cleans and squats in sweaty places wasn't as much fun lol. Circa 2011-2012 , I walked into a local indoor sports facility { Indoor soccer , flag football and other activities were held here } and I was just bringing the kids to a birthday party { Areas for kids to run around with ball pits slides etc. } and I look up and see the Coffman QB and his receivers working on their routes . Getting reps . Doing the work . Not sure how often they did this but not question it appeared by the way they smoothly executed that it wasn't the first time.

Speed, agility , quickness drills, getting the quads stronger 'work" to become more explosive coming out of breaks to get some separation and getting together with the QB whenever possible is part of that 'Rehearsal " that makes that level of performance on Friday nights down the road possible . it doesn't just 'Happen " as if you can snap your fingers . DB's and receivers along with QB's get more reps than ever before . When we did that , not EVERYONE was doing it and things like that . Now it's common , but some programs and kids will do that extra to a higher degree in terms of work and detail.

Coffman players over the years have worked with trainers , [ Austen Rankin { Bo Jackson facility} a Coffman alum 2013, does outstanding work with receivers for instance} trying to improve their skills, speed, agility and ultimately their confidence. Many are fortunate to have the funds to do this. Nothing selfish about doing some work on your own , as it ultimately will help the team . This industry has exploded . Coffman girls basketball team who made huge strides over the last year even losing their D-1 star Russell to transfer { Reynoldsburg } improved their performance with some working with former Coffman Player Tyrel Jackson an excellent skills teacher who really helped some girls with the basic skills and shooting prowess. Lost at the buzzer in the state quarterfinals to Newark who lost in the state final in the last few seconds and just missed winning at the end .

QB's can make huge strides in terms of footwork weight transfer , release, follow through , arm motion and action and of course improving core strength to help with arm strength , adding a foot or so to their fastball so to speak . Rising Senior Maggs has potential to be very good this year. A ,lot of tools. Ideal size{ 6-3 210 } good arm, nice delivery , all he needs is reps. Some fundamental tightening up . There are some athletes in the building that could help at receiver . No question they could be assets, and working with a talent like Maggs should be something some should think about if they haven't committed to playing yet. Kids in the fold adding some things to their games is imperative to utilizing the talent that exists at QB.
one of the things that i noticed under Stokes strength program , is that we had very few knee injuries...( knock on wood for you guys) but maybe the parents can save some money, because his program is about as good as it gets... 6am workouts three days a week starting in early JAN. It will be interesting how he addresses the kids having trainers...... just wondering , how many kids are in the HS program .. 9-12?

bigkat

by the way, he is excellant with working with QB'S.......him being a former qb himself.....

Harrycrane

by the way, he is excellant with working with QB'S.......him being a former qb himself.....
Coffman has had a 25 year run of really good QBs . I know he played QB , that’s a positive for sure . It can be luck as well as training rights but Coffman has had very few ACL’s or major knee injuries . I know Stokes has had a successful strength and conditioning program . Most programs around here have kids who do additional work with specialized trainers . Nothing new . That doesn’t mean you don’t do team workouts or train at school . I was talking more skills type stuff , not a strength program .

Harrycrane

With the new rule to allow unlimited contact days over the summer, he will get plenty of time to work with the QB's this year.
Which is great in this situation with a new HC who is basically the QB coach as well . May be he has another coach to do that job exclusively ? Make up of the staff will be interesting . Unlimited contact will be really important in the transition .

Harrycrane

This time of year for football fans is basically counting weeks and months before you get going again. Of course, the "Going" never really stops, does it? Football training is something that just continues on as you prepare for the next season, the next camp, the next college camp may be?

Now in the year of COVID, some states are playing a high school season. There is some limited college football going on. The NFL draft has kind of evolved into a quasi-industry. The draft is the definition of an inexact science. Numbers , times, tape , some workouts and trying to get as good a read on the player getting as much information as you can.

QB's have become almost an obsession as football at the top levels has concluded that throwing the football more than running it is the way to go . Analytics tells basketball decision makers that making as many three-point shots is a huge key to winning . Baseball has become a HR -SO sport where nuances and " Small ball " has been reduced to a quaint memory. Hitters beef up, swing hard and look to consistently launch the ball into the air . Swinging down through the ball is gone . Stealing bases which back in the day was a staple of my offensive game is and endangered species. Stealing home was may be one of my best memories in baseball .

Imagine a time when the Wishbone was the preferred Modus operandi of some of the most successful college team's year in and year out? Three yards and a cloud of dust ? Three things happen when you throw it and two of them are bad { Woody Hayes} ? QB's will go early and often in the draft of course and teams have certain tastes and preferences . Who fits the system better? Upside? Pro ready ?These are some of the phrases that you will see bandied about .

Only a couple of the QB's in any given year really pop and make it fairly big. In this past HS season in D-1 we saw long time power ST X become a pass happy, higher tempo team that is embracing this newer culture. Accuracy, getting the ball out quickly , precise patters , and of course as they are usually equipped a really solid O-Line who can give thier trigger man that crucial extra couple seconds to survey the field .

Pick Central found out that that type of offense when run well is pretty unstoppable when the timing is good. In other years when PC played X the Bombers were more a run team first or at least try to establish the run first. Games were close with each team winning one . This one was Mike Tyson - Michael Spinks . Over before any seat was warm .

Coffman is in a total rebuild up front on offense .Biggest one I can remember . Biggest overall rebuild overall in the last 20 years? Arguable , but it's definitely top two which is significant. Have said a few times that Coffman's main asset on offense is the QB. He has a good arm, can get the ball out quickly and accurately , excellent tools . Receivers need to get better , do the work and the hope is that an athlete or two in the building {Or out } emerges and decides to play . Specialization and a few other things has limited the numbers in football for many schools.

One of the interesting things I read about Minster and coach Stokes, was after the epic win over a great Kirtland program in 2014 was the thought from Kirtland that " Most of their opponents throw because they have to , but Minster throws because they 'Want to". Well, that may be Kirtland's reality regarding most of their opponents and in this case, they may be mistaken as well. Stokes was on record as saying that he knew that snap for snap he couldn't line up and sustain a successful running attack against this team, so he smartly threw it a lot . Of course, you need the personnel and the schemes to be able to score points throwing it .

Coffman has been more a running team overall the last few seasons because they had the personnel and talent to be very effective moving the ball that way. Of course, Bryon Threats isn't walking through the door this year . Rocks have a couple good RB prospects, but I see them being possible targets in the passing game as well and may be the passing game will be the prevalent Modus operandi . As was pointed out the extra time teams have may be instrumental in the preparation for the 2021 season.