Dublin Coffman 2019

any word on Parks the kid from Orrville. Has he been around and doing team activities
Chip - Harry would know better if he showed up in Dublin yet, but word from some folks in Orrville was he wasn't one to participate much in the preseason the last few years. If he does, adding him to Threats & Phipps will give them some unbelievable options.

With so much uncertainty about this season and another spike of cases in this state since the last time I posted , it is hard to get motivated to get excited about the season and football coming back in general. It just is . I suspected about 3 and a half months ago and opined about it in these spaces that our response was probably not going to be good enough or effective enough to get into position to play in late August. The last 6 weeks have flown by . Time was once standing still in the first month of the pandemic coming on strong in this country.

Now time is going by much more rapidly and we have numbers spiking again even with the temperatures soaring towards triple digit heat indexes. That was a hope at one time remember ? Not the delusional April will bring a magical disappearance as our President foolishly said, but a real drop in the numbers coinciding with summer temps. Hasn't happened. With a younger demo getting it after re-openings along with learning more about the virus over the last 5 months and learning more medically in treating it we are lowering the death totals. This doesn't mean that it is unserious and that as long as you survive this you are as good as new. Hospitalizations are up and that isn't what we would have though we would see at this juncture .

So what's next ? Teams and programs work out , try to be ready as best they can for a season, but with camp less than a month out ? Not sure what we are looking at in this fluid situation , but I am not nearly as optimistic as I was just 4-6 weeks ago. Kids working hard as they have bene for a while. Coffman has a good work ethic as a program and very motivated players. The rhythm of the off-season is way off with the schedule but you make the best of it. You try to control what you can an be in the best shape you can be in case the season goes on as planned or in revised form .

Looks like one of the best Coffman teams in the last 20 years of the Crabtree era . Would be a terrible year for the program if there was no season. Many starters returning , especially on defense which could be a shut down type unit even with AJ Kirk moving up to Hoban to play . He wasn't around last year anyway and certainly wasn't counted on heavily this year. Former consensus Freshman All American defensive back who is still a three star guy who is barely a top 50 guy now in his own state . This means very little and star ranking at the end of the day can mean little in the grans scheme of things. That being said I am not sure I have seen this dynamic before . It is because he didn't play at all last year of course and may be given the nature of his not playing going to Hoban is probably a good thing even if a big talent loss for Coffman. Could be just a case of his family moving up north .

Going back to say 2016- 2017 when you saw Drennan being the first Freshman to ever start at Coffman for Coach Crabtree and then Kirk becoming the second the very next year you were thinking these guys would be the leaders and be big stars and be incredibly productive at this point . All time Coffman greats , a couple final fours . Didn't work out that way to say the least { team did well enough losing in the round of 8 twice} Both played in every game their first year . Both had solid Freshman seasons but of course weren't dominant players yet. Drennan's Sophomore year was pretty much spent on the sidelines after hurting his ankle in the last scrimmage. He didn't play until the 8th week and only sparingly in that game { Davidson} about a half vs Westland in a walkover and then took off the next week vs UA . Played a minor role in a play-off loss the next week in a bad losing the lead late decision vs Olentangy . Kirk's Sophomore year started well , but he got hurt and missed a few games including the Davidson game where he was really missed . Came back and payed pretty well but wasn't the dominant player just yet but his Junior year you knew he would break out and he looked very good early in the scrimmage season .

Drennan had a very solid almost completely healthy and very productive Junior season and was the difference in a few close wins as the Rocks lost to Liberty in week 13 going 11-2 . Had to play RB after Diallo went down in the Jerome game with a broken arm and di the job well . Showed toughness and durability . To me and many Coffman followers he was the MVP of the team that year which made you excited for the Senior campaign which we know never really materialized. Hurt early in the off-season , came back slowly , wasn't real productive, had a few moments but then stopped playing again weeks 8-10 including Davidson and the last three games overall not playing at all . Played the whole game in a blowout of Perrysburg and the first half before hurting his hand { self inflicted} at the half in a comfortable Coffman win vs Whitmer . So the Springfield Regional final game where the defense played lights out and the offense moved the ball well at times but ended drives in Springfield territory multiple times without scoring , Drennan could have been and likely would have been IMO the difference. But he was hurt and did suit up but wasn't able to catch the ball with a cast on and was a non factor as a decoy{On touch all night} . So Drennan played two full season out of four and for two seasons was out more than not during the regular season{ missed 14 games completely and parts of anohter handful over those two seasons} and not a big factor in the play-offs in those years.

Kirk never played for Coffman again after that Liberty week 13 loss in 2018 . Some things aren't meant to be in life and these two very talented highly regarded players never mad that huge mark at Coffman that you thought was a lock . Hopefully their best football is ahead of them going forward and hope Kirk has a great Senior season at Hoban and Drennan stays healthy at Kentucky , but if you told me back in say 2017 that neither would become Coffman legends ? I wouldn't have believed you .

Team won't have to replace Kirk because he didn't play last year but that spot is up for grabs adn his possible coming back would have me opining that this years defense would be the best they have had in the Crabtree era. As it is without Kirk , they still have that chance but there is no doubt that if he came back it would have been the best secondary they have had .

Last edited:
From my Coffman Sources:

No Parks
No Kirk
Phipps looking solid at WR/DB
This team will be good
The schedule is outrageous

Players working very hard, three camp days this week.

Can't give any more info ;) my sources would kill me.

From my Coffman Sources:

No Parks
No Kirk
This team will be good

Yes the team was good last year without any contribution from Ohio State offered Kirk and only a small contribution from Drennan . Also lost a 'Glue" guy a real program success player Starting DE Bramonte who got 1-AA Offers who moved to Florida . Parks was always a longshot , I never thought he was coming , Phipps who played his Frosh year at Orville with Parks after moving from the city of Columbus moved back down to Worthington and played for Ye Olde Tommy W.

Underrated prospect. How he isn't in the state top 100 is a joke. He is smaller BUT his quickness , burst , playmaking ability , hands and competitiveness are being completely overlooked . He also has been very productive playing in a lesser program where he didn't always have a lot of support. Kirk looked good last year at camp and the first two scrimmages. Last saw him on the sideline in week 2 and that was that . No animosity or bad blood between Kirk and his family { Mike Doss his half brother is his guardian } as it seems to be just a move back closer to Doss's roots in Northeast Ohio and Hoban is a excellent program to join for his Senior year. File under the Rich get richer.

Toughest schedule they have had no question. They have the personnel and experience to deal with it but it's going to be challenging no doubt. A couple years ago i had hoped for the team to get away from the read option run only run game adn they did that and it has been successful even for the QB . Mathews is a dual threat athlete who thrived last year along with Threats and both broke out big in the run game .

Mathews I believe would make an excellent safety { Free } . I don't think they play him there but with Kirk not coming back there is a spot back there . Rising Junior QB Mason Maggs can really throw the football . Legit 6-3- 6-4 205? Big arm , a definite prospect. He may be a kid who blows up next year at camps when they have them again in full force. Cont.

From my Coffman Sources:

No Parks
No Kirk
This team will be good

Whose on the schedule

From my Coffman Sources:

No Parks
No Kirk
This team will be good

Phipps has to sit out 5 games

Gunnar Hoak took that big leap from his Soph. year to Junior year in terms of polish, footwork , arm strength , handling the offense , comfort in the pocket , looking off safety's and manipulating the secondary. Of course he had an excellent O-Line protecting and a very good stable of Senior Receivers on that really good 2014 team . Maggs hasn't had the luxury of having that same camp circuit and attention. Not sure where he is right now, and certainly not saying that he takes over from an incumbent starter like Gunnar did 6 years ago with Ben Beckett who was the starter in 2015 as a Junior, but Maggs talent may be too good to keep off the field entirely .

I would love to see Mathews playa little safety in certain situations but Coffman QB's never play any defense obviously and I don't see Mathews losing his job certainly , but Maggs is the better arm talent for sure and needs to get some snaps. Getting Phipps helps weapons wise , but also it appears 6-4 Junior basketball player Davyion McDonald who was Maggs main got to deep threat Frosh year is coming back to football after taking last year off . Football is a 3-4 wide sport now for the most part at the higher levels and very prevalent at the High school level obviously . Used to be many High school teams even if they threw it 12-15 times a game had ONE go to receiver they trusted .

Just not as many skilled receivers were being developed . Watched the excellent Netflix series QB 1 Beyond the Lights three seasons and the thing that strikes you besides the obvious talented QB's is the skill of the receivers adn the amount of skilled kids . McDonald with size you can't teach and athleticism that is impressive is someone that will automatically get looks at the next level as a potential receiver who can develop . Many talented athletes who play hoops and other sports are realizing that football can be where it's at in terms of college $$$ opportunity's . So many hoops players project athletically for football at various positions but especially at the Receiver positions including Tight end and all over the defensive backfield. Lose Kirk but Phipps comes and McDonald i feel may need some time to get back to the fold but is a great Re-addition if you will.

Been a tumultuous time in American history to be sure and a time for some reflection. The events of the last month and the reality of life for everyone including kids the last few months have been trying to say the least. I thought Coach Crabtree had a very unifying tweet that was simple and direct and was heartfelt . The Coffman community has changed over the years in various ways in the last 20 years of this era of Coffman football .That includes the demographics of the school. I think a great thing that many people have obtained from this period in time is understanding and awareness. A certain empathy of putting yourself in another's shoes and seriously trying to learn and understand.

I believe that the program has done a truly good job of making all players feel comfortable being part of the program and a program that kids want to be a part of it and proud of being a part of. Coffman is mentioned by some as being a 'destination " school. There are others referred to as that also as community's and school's that are coveted by parents and family's. Private schools are coveted by some families as well. Success attracts that. Great academic high school attracts that .

A successful culture in all aspects attracts that and makes certain places destinations . A Coffman Rising Soph hoops player just left for Pickerington Central Penn left before his Senior year to go to Tennessee .. PC is a basketball destination kid thinks it will be better for him . May be it will , may be it won't be . Hoban is a football destination .. Kirk will thrive there. Coffman has an excellent overall athletic department. Many successful programs . Academics are very strong , a lot of support good teachers and culture . Same with the football program . Great community support with financial backing , good facilities , coaching and a successful community culture. Of course it is going to attract families moving from out of state and families looking to relocate within the area. Times are attitudes changing , demographics in the country are changing .

Embracing the changes and wanting to grow and evolve is smart and healthy. The Coffman community including the football program is doing just that I believe and will going forward . Destination ? Smart successful and supportive community's will always be 'Destinations" and the Coffman community and football program embody these ideals.

Phipps who played his Frosh year at Orville with Parks after moving from the city of Columbus moved back down to Worthington and played for Ye Olde Tommy W.
Underrated prospect. How he isn't in the state top 100 is a joke. He is smaller BUT his quickness , burst , playmaking ability , hands and competitiveness are being completely overlooked . He also has been very productive playing in a lesser program where he didn't always have a lot of support.
Saw Phipps as a frosh & his talent was obvious. Lots of folks in that league were happy he went back to Columbus his soph year. From all reports he played hard and was willing to do anything to help team. Should be a tremendous asset for DC considering what they already have

Last edited:
Parks staying at Orrville?

If he's not at Coffman I would certainly think he wouldn't transfer somewhere else . Never really believed he was coming to Dublin so I didn't include him in any discussions the last 5-6 months or so . He is a great playmaker and talent. I think he can make plays at the next level { power five school} despite his size . he has that much shake , balance and moves .